Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
    I grew up saying creek like 'crick' (rhymes with Rick).
    jckfan's head pops up. Did someone say Rick?

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
      Lets not forget about the bathroom/toilet/outhouse/dunny/loo
      I quite like "po" myself, but I must admit, even my fellow Brits stare at me as though I'm a little strange... hard to argue, really.

I agree, AT's English accent is spot on, and I'm very fussy about accents!
      "Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage," William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
        Hey Everyone,

I missed you all yesterday, I was having an SG1 day cause I got my S10 DVDs, so I watched all the special features, they were great

LOL, that is kinda how I talk but why is it funnier when you 'say' it? ROTFL!

Oh yeah I hate that too, I like fics that 'speak' with the characters voices I can read OOC as long as the characters voice and dialect are right.

And boo! Smiley welcome back!

Julia(samcarterrules)
        Welcome back Juila, I'm glad to hear from you again. I wasn't on last night because my lap-top wasn't working, it still isn't I'm actually using my classroom computer Anyway I thought I'd come by to let everyone know, incase you don't know already, but there's supposed to be a thing about Atlantis on Extra on Friday. I found it here-
        Stargate Atlantis on EXTRA! on Friday, January 25th
        I so hope to see Amanda there

PS: To anyone who's been there and who really knows it well. I think I remember reading an article on that site, and I think it was on David. In the article, it said something about Amanda and Jewel being sci-fi beauties . And it's not from his sci-fi interview, but I think it's in the "comic con section". If anyone knows where it is on the site, can someone point it out to me? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
          jckfan's head pops up. Did someone say Rick?
          I thought that might catch someone's attention

With all this talk about Amanda's accent, which I think does a marvelous job of, what about Rick's accent Other than the obvious 'ya sure you betcha' and 'don't ya know' does anybody notice local 'Minnesotan' sneaking into his pronounciations? Or MS's? Or CJ's?

I don't really remember anything obviously 'Canadian' or 'northern' sounding at all. Which is unusual with all of the 'northerners' around the studio during filming. Usuually people tend to pick up the type of accent they are around. I guess that is 'acting' or there really isn't much difference.

Comment

Well CJ is from the US. Don S. DAvis has a little bit of the Ozarks drawl(?). As you say, RDA sometimes puts on a heavy stereotypical Minnesota inflection, but otherwise he sounds pretty standard to me.

I notice much more Canadian with the ATlantis regulars. Of course Rodney is Canadian. But Weir often said "been" like " coffee bean" rather than "ben" which is a more typical US pronunciation--at least where I'm from. And AT says "pro-cess" rather than "prah-cess" which I think is more typical US.

And the bit players often sound Canadian to me. Some of the Jaffa or people with one or two speaking lines sometimes jar me a bit.

BTW: is this week a Sam-less week on Atlantis? When is Trio? I'm really looking forward to a Sam-intensive episode. I accidently caught a bit of a spoiler for Trio, but quickly covered my eyes --but it did make me want to see the ep even more.

Comment

Originally posted by wibbling View Post
              I quite like "po" myself, but I must admit, even my fellow Brits stare at me as though I'm a little strange... hard to argue, really.

I agree, AT's English accent is spot on, and I'm very fussy about accents!
              I agree Amanda seem really great at accents, I wonder if she can do any other ones?

Julia(samcarterrules)
              sigpic
              Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                Don't forget washroom and restroom as well.

Oh and outhouse for me is the lowest form of uh..facilities. When camping at primitive sites, these hole in the ground wooden shacks are to feared!!
                Brings back memories of our summers in our log cabin in the Adirondacks where we had an outhouse (little house-on-the-hill) with a two-holer and you had to walk on a log path over a swamp to get to it. At night it was a nightmare as would be all too easy to miss the path and fall in the wetland which I only did once; but it was so unpleasant I always tried to "hold it" till daylight (which fortunately came fairly early). My dad finally built a little log extension on the cabin and dug a septic tank so we didn't have to use the h-o-t-h any more but every tie we used the loo we had to use a bucket of water to flush it and then replace the empty bucket from the river. MUCH better!

Enough OT--BTW, I love the picture of Amanda at Banff. Can't remember who posted it but thanks!!!

Comment

I grew up saying creek like 'crick' (rhymes with Rick).
                  Me too! And I'm from upstate New York originally. Grew up in farmland though and maybe that's where that influence came from.

Comment

Originally posted by donamac View Post
                    Brings back memories of our summers in our log cabin in the Adirondacks where we had an outhouse (little house-on-the-hill) with a two-holer and you had to walk on a log path over a swamp to get to it. At night it was a nightmare as would be all too easy to miss the path and fall in the wetland which I only did once; but it was so unpleasant I always tried to "hold it" till daylight (which fortunately came fairly early). My dad finally built a little log extension on the cabin and dug a septic tank so we didn't have to use the h-o-t-h any more but every tie we used the loo we had to use a bucket of water to flush it and then replace the empty bucket from the river. MUCH better!
                    I can just imagine your late night crossing of this bridge... *chuckles*

The outhouse was never fun. It wasn't the jog to get to one that was bad for me (they're always set a ways away cos of the smell, especially in a good downwind...stanky) but the ominous sound of the screen door when you walked in, the dank insides, the cobwebs woven into just about every corner with dead bugs stuck in them and the look down into the hole...nasty! All this combined was one trip you just wanted to blot from your memory. On the flip side though, it was also a funny way to tease those 'delicate' souls out on their first 'wild' trip into the woods. *evil chuckles*

Comment

Originally posted by bossluna View Post
                      Hello hello hello!!! I think this is my first time posting in this AWESOME thread, but have always loved reading the posts! I'm just so full of Samanda goodness right now that if I don't say something I fear I might burst at the seams! I just downloaded "Quarantine" on Amazon and watched it again and it's so different when you're so close to the screen you can see EVERYTHING and well,

Spoiler:
                      I'm watching right, and it gets to the scene when Carter is praising Zelenka and if you look at Sam's hands, she's holding something...a spoon in her right hand and then you see in her other hand she's totally holding...

BLUE JELLO!!!!

check it out! I know it is! You can kinda of see it here in JennyJ's HQ pic

Spoiler:
                      I wonder if she brought boxes of the powder from earth or they shipped it in the supplies especially for her. Or maybe it's just an SGC standard... Kinda like Sam.

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
                      One of the more amusing differences is our colloquial term for an eraser. Becky tells of the horrified look on an American Exchange teacher's face when asked for a rubber!

Mumsey
                      LOL!!!!

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
                      I really hate to be a pain but I can't get this site to work...it keeps coming uip with the logo but that's it...nothing else...not here or on IE...is anyone else having issues or is it just me????
                      I registered last night..got the confirmation email and all...and got into the fics for about an hour and that was it...now I can't vote and I can't read the fics...please help me!!!!!!!!
                      Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                      It's not you Chelle, it's broken
                      It's not broken, but it is finicky. I had the same problem, and e-mailed them, and they told me, and I quote:

"This is a caching problem. It may be with your browser or it might be withyour ISP. Clearing your cache, your temporary internet files and your cookies might do the trick. -- tejas(and her alter-ego, Julia)"

I tried it, and it worked, but only for a while, then I had to do it again... It's a bit of a pain, but it's worth it when you read and see some of the stuff on there! I found a Sam story called "Boundaries" by Scarimor that was absolutely incredible!! Let me see if I can find the link.....

*rummages in the slimy depths of the computer.....*

*still rummaging....*

found it!!! http://scarimor.livejournal.com/37372.html#cutid1

It's a bit long, but soooooo worth it!!

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                      Well CJ is from the US. Don S. DAvis has a little bit of the Ozarks drawl(?). As you say, RDA sometimes puts on a heavy stereotypical Minnesota inflection, but otherwise he sounds pretty standard to me.

I notice much more Canadian with the ATlantis regulars. Of course Rodney is Canadian. But Weir often said "been" like " coffee bean" rather than "ben" which is a more typical US pronunciation--at least where I'm from. And AT says "pro-cess" rather than "prah-cess" which I think is more typical US.

And the bit players often sound Canadian to me. Some of the Jaffa or people with one or two speaking lines sometimes jar me a bit.

BTW: is this week a Sam-less week on Atlantis? When is Trio? I'm really looking forward to a Sam-intensive episode. I accidently caught a bit of a spoiler for Trio, but quickly covered my eyes --but it did make me want to see the ep even more.
                      Trio isn't until the end of February, I think, and supposedly
                      Spoiler:
                      we're supposed to get a glimpse of her private love life

at least that's what the gateworld episode guide says.
                      sigpic

"The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-colored flags!" -Amanda Tapping

SG-1 FanFiction
                      Sanctuary Fanfiction

Comment

Originally posted by Über View Post
                        FIVE WORD CHALLENGE If you haven't and still want to...or if you have one and you want to change it like chelle did...just post it here on Samanda and I'll do a new update. Otherwise...we'll let the above stand and call it a day.
                        You take me happy places.

My LJ

Comment

Not that talking about potty mouths and potties isn't fun, but I thought I'd steer the conversation to another topic.

Sam Carter has done and been through so much. What would you like to see happen to/for her next?

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                            And boo! Smiley welcome back!
                            Thanks! Been a while huh?! It's a shame really... Anyway, been reading a little of whats going on here... looks like fun, but my absense has made3 it slightly confusing too! Heehee, the slang stuff is funny....

Comment

Not that talking about potty mouths and potties isn't fun, but I thought I'd steer the conversation to another topic.

Sam Carter has done and been through so much. What would you like to see happen to/for her next?
                              compete in a CPL world tour

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                                compete in a CPL world tour
                                I bet Carter would pown AD in the CPL

Comment

Working...
                                X