Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
    Depends on where in the South one heads. I know of places where the people don't talk slow and drawn out. Anyone here heard of Paula Dean? She does NOT talk slowly.

<<<melts into Paula Deen's from scratch recipes....>>>

She's right. Butter makes everything taste better.

suse
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
      In terms of lexicon, I think many people interchange pants with trousers now,
      Were I grew up it was britches.
      My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Just dropping by to congratulate Uber for having a video posted on GW's home page in the Gateworld Play section.

You go, girl!
        lll

* Smilie by Mala

Comment

Quarantine...

Spoiler:
          Blue jello!?! Awesome!

Heh, because of the books I read and the stuff I watch, I understand most British and American stuff. We do use the British version of most things... not pants though.

Oh, I know it's different because it's someone completely new to English but the other day I met a French guy who was telling us about his experiences as a waiter in New Zealand. He used to say to everyone he seating, "please, sit here and I will come on your table." The other waiters thought is was so funny that no one told him what he was saying for months. Oh, and once all the tables were full so he told some middle-aged women "if you sit over here, I will take you on the bar."

Heh. Heh.
          Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

We still call it a bonnet, yes. Bonnet and Boot.

When I was at school, my friends and I understood very little American English. We'd get incredibly confused at words like "trunk", "pants" and "flashlight". We also only used "like" either as a verb "to like" or in the context of a similie or metaphor. As for the word "so", it was a conjunction and never a quantifier. When we watched "Friends" or at the end of term, our teachers would put on subtitles so we could understand - many of us couldn't process the accents quick enough to understand the jokes, and the accents were from New York, not the international sound that Disney tends to opt for.

You can see just how much American TV and culture has influenced people in Britain. For a start, there's the grammatical changes - we often use "so" in a quantifying context (that's so funny) and we also use "like" to pad out sentences. In terms of lexicon, I think many people interchange pants with trousers now, we also use cookies as well as biscuits. I would say that fries and chips are still very different things, but that's changing with the younger generation.

It's a fascinating transition to watch.
            I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, in the US, it's cool how cultures have become mixed and homogenized, because it all melts together into the American culture. But on the other hand, it's sad because individual cultures should be preserved. When you start speaking on a global scale, it's a negative thing for the same reason as above. But on the positive side, the blending of all the cultures brings us closer to a common ground and a "one world" feeling.

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
            Oh yes...there's also a section entitled 'stumblers' in my book which advises this very thing.

Also, they state 'to avoid the British version of giving someone "the finger," don't hold up the first two fingers of your hand with your palm facing you. (It looks like a reversed victory sign.) Kinda funny

One more thing, and I dearly have to remember this cos I'm a big finger counter, when asking for one or more of something to start with my thumb. If I only hold up my first finger to request one item, I'll probably get two lol
            Note to self.

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
            Were I grew up it was britches.
            A friend of mine's father was from a holler in Kentucky and she grew up calling them bloomers.

Originally posted by ames View Post
            Quick note:
            'fanny' in N.A. English = butt/bottom/booty
            'fanny' in England = female genitalia
            'fanny-packs' = 'bum-bags' (I have made this mistake in public before. Don't. Respectable-type people tend to have all the colour drain out of their faces...and ames got smacked. So yeah. Bad slip of tongue!!!)
            Well, on both continents it's the same general area. Below the waist and above the knees.
            Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
            William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
            Anon

Comment

Originally posted by JennyJ View Post
              Hello! HD caps of Quarantine have just arrived to my Photobucket... If you are interested, check them out!
              Thank you Jenny!!!

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
              O, this has me laughing so hard. Poor you. I'm positive you will do better when you finally get to meet her.
              Oh I hope so....for my sake as well as Amanda's!!!
              Originally posted by Bekah See View Post
              That's what you originally said??? Oh. Um. I knew that. This is much better, except I'd probably say a "cup of coffee" instead of just coffee. OR hot cocoa. Coffee is nasty
              Uhm...coffee is the cure for all ails...didn't you know???
              Originally posted by bossluna View Post
              Hello hello hello!!! I think this is my first time posting in this AWESOME thread, but have always loved reading the posts! I'm just so full of Samanda goodness right now that if I don't say something I fear I might burst at the seams!
              Spoiler:
              I'm watching right, and it gets to the scene when Carter is praising Zelenka and if you look at Sam's hands, she's holding something...a spoon in her right hand and then you see in her other hand she's totally holding...
              BLUE JELLO!!!!

check it out! I know it is! You can kinda of see it here in JennyJ's HQ pic
              Spoiler:
              http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d196/Cinzina/SGA_S4/Quarantine/?action=view&current=SGA-Quarantine247.jpg
              For some strange reason I had the urge to say "Hello Urgo" when I first started reading your post!!
              Spoiler:
              Yay for the Blue Jello/Jelly!!!

Originally posted by ames View Post
              I once tried to compliment a British fic writer by saying I couldn't tell her fic was written by a Brit, and she became incredibly offended All I meant is that the dialogue and whatnot was written so that it wasn't jarring, but she assumed that I thought that US fic was best (funny that, considering I'm not American, but hey, that's the joy of assumptions, I suppose).
              I agree. It doesn't bother me where the writer is from (so long as the work is beta'd - one thing I can't handle is when you have to *work* to read something full of spelling and grammar problems), and I don't mind local variancies popping up in the descriptions ... but when it hits the speech patterns of the characters, I find that it does tend to throw the momentum of the story.
              I have yet to come across a fic that was difficult to follow because of "local dialogue"...I have come across fics where the writing was hard to follow because it was written like it may have been spoken in broken English...but the odd spelling or grammatical error phases me not...I've learned to work around them and enjoy the fics anyway!!!
              Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              brit american
              torch - flashlight
              car park - parking lot
              boot - trunk
              trolly - cart
              telly - tv or television
              jumper - sweater
              biscuits - cookies (american biscuits are kinda ilke an unsweet scone)
              fanny - part of the girl's anatomy that only her OBGYN sees
              pants - underwear/boxers/briefs
              tube - subway (by the way, colorado springs does NOT have one. only a half dozen or so US cities have subways)
              add more that i haven't thought of
              As far as I know...and that's not that far...a subway here is the walkway that goes under a main road or highway so pedestrians can get from one side to the other underground...our underground rail system here in Melbourne is called the loop...or just a plain old tunnel!!
              Also...we have windcheaters here too...basically a jumper is the woolly kind whereas the windcheater is more polyester/cotton.
              Originally posted by Celandine View Post
              Anyway, in the back it has a British to Yankee dictionary which I thought was fun. Here's a few that cracked me up.

cos - romaine lettuce (where they got that one I'll never know )
              cotton buds - Q-tips
              car boot sale - temp flea market - trash and treasure
              cat's eyes - road reflectors
              face flannel - washcloth - face washer
              fruit machine - slot machine - pokies
              ice lolly - popsicle - icy pole
              ironmonger - hardware store
              jacket potato - baked potato
              knackered - exhausted (my official new fun word to use with friends now..hehe) - buggered
              mangetout - snow peas (huh?) - yum!!
              mobile (pronounced MOH-bile) - cell phone
              moggie - cat
              sleeping policeman - speed bumps
              twee - quaint, cute
              twitcher - bird watcher
              whinge (rhymes with hinge) - whine - sook
              Lets not forget about the bathroom/toilet/outhouse/dunny/loo
              Oh and as for the whole chips/fries thing...basically fries are skinny chips...and you can't get chips at McDonalds...although I make a point of always asking for them...and here chips can be the hot ones you get from the fish and chip shop and take away places or they can be those yummy flavoured cold thongs that are loaded with fat but taste so darn good...I think you call them crisps!
              And you know that thing you stick in your babies mouth...we call it a dummy...you might call it a pacifier!
              That's all I can think of right now...

Just thought of another one...Gobsmacked - amazed...without words!!
              Oooh...and another one...do you guys call a guy a bloke..or a girl a shiela??...must go find that aussie slang book of mine!
              Jelly - jello
              Jam - jelly

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
              afaik, australian english is basically the same as british english, and pants don't mean underwear. pants mean pants...
              That is to say....slacks or trousers...jeans and the like...our underwear is as follows:
              Girls wear knickers, g-strings (thongs for those elsewhere), undies
              Boys wear jocks, boxers and briefs
              Babies wear nappies!!! (diapers)

When we watched "Friends" or at the end of term, our teachers would put on subtitles so we could understand - many of us couldn't process the accents quick enough to understand the jokes, and the accents were from New York, not the international sound that Disney tends to opt for.
              It's funny you should say that coz I have never needed subtitles for English speaking shows...but I have seen subtitles on an Australian show that was aired in the states and found that most bizarre!!...I understood every word the fella was saying!!
              Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
              To go back on topic--AT seems to have a facility for accents & has devised an interesting one for Helen Magnus. I also think it's great that Helen speaks quite formally b/c it gives her more of an air of being special.
              I think Amanda does an English accent quite brilliantly...I wonder if she can do an aussie one without sounding like a kiwi!!
              Originally posted by Über View Post
              FIVE WORD CHALLENGE update:
              Spoiler:

Alan: Will you marry me Amanda?
              RepliCartertje: Your boobies all the way!
              Mandysg1: Thanks for Sam and Helen.
              Agent Dark: your micro is teh pwnage
              mapsc (Mike): Sam rocks. So do you.
              suse: You are a class act.
              Sg Gato: You're an inspiration to us.
              hisg1fans: Keep up the good work
              The-rage: Who inspired you for acting?
              SunKrux: How's Olivia's Devil Duck Doing?
              JanSam: Please run for US President.
              jckfan55: Sam's a great Atlantis Commander.
              NZNeep: Inspiring, goofy, loving, smart. Hugs?
              Deejay435: Your work brings me joy.
              antoa315: Holy ----! You ------- rock!
              Tittamiire: Amanda, thank you for everything.
              antoa315's offline friend Mysterious Stranger: Purple monkey dishwasher... thank you!
              Skydiver: hey, wanna go get lunch?
              donamac: She's beautiful inside and out!
              majorsal: YOU ARE THE WO MAN!!
              Rocky456: Amanda, never change a thing.
              RealmOfX: Amanda's amazing, awesome, astounding, awe-inspiring.
              Bekah See: You're my all-time favorite actress.
              LaCroix: One all around magnificent person.
              tara3583: Amanda, Fans, circle of love!
              SamJackShipLover: Amanda you are the best!
              Spacegirlnz: Thank you for being you =)
              helenmagnus23: AMANDA, the greatest role model.
              Julia(samcarterrules): Amanda, you are my hero.
              chelle db: You're the awesome-est Tappinating Spottie!!
              sofie: You have the biggest heart.
              Celandine: Thanks for just being you.
              scifithinker: Making our lives more colorful.
              Suz: Come back to New York!
              Ames: You rock the rock-rock!
              Tracy Jane: My girlfriend wants a hug.
              Coley: Thanks for your megawatt smile.
              SWMBOTGSG (aka Mumsey): Thanks for always being yourself.
              jz9: Sam: Captain, Major, Colonel, General?
              Atlantis_babe34: Can I Have A Hug?
              Forestia: You make science geeks cool!

Thanks y'all for playing this little game! It was fun, no???
              If you haven't and still want to...or if you have one and you want to change it like chelle did...just post it here on Samanda and I'll do a new update. Otherwise...we'll let the above stand and call it a day.
              Thank you Über...this was fun...we should something else like this...after I get back from Taz please!!!
              so if a girl named fanny marries a guy named dick....
              Don't laugh...fair dinkum...my parents actually knew a couple called Dick and Fanny...twas many years ago though...poor buggers!!!
              Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
              Quarantine...
              Spoiler:
              Blue jello!?! Awesome!

Heh, because of the books I read and the stuff I watch, I understand most British and American stuff. We do use the British version of most things... not pants though.
              Oh, I know it's different because it's someone completely new to English but the other day I met a French guy who was telling us about his experiences as a waiter in New Zealand. He used to say to everyone he seating, "please, sit here and I will come on your table." The other waiters thought is was so funny that no one told him what he was saying for months. Oh, and once all the tables were full so he told some middle-aged women "if you sit over here, I will take you on the bar."
              Heh. Heh.
              Oh man...you make me PMP every day...you're such a cracker Eileen!!!

Anyhoo...I've had fun yet again...missed it all...yet again...but stil had fun...it's always nice to end the day with a little fun in Samanda...thank you guys!!!
              Night all, take care, be safe and have fun!
              (((Samanda)))
              Last edited by Chelle DB; 23 January 2008, 01:53 AM.
              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

hey guys, check this out
                [permission to forward]

It's finally time! Voting is now open for the Stargate Fan Awards. You

can vote for your favorites until March 3, 2008 at
                http://www.stargatefanawards.com/2007/index.php .

Yes, we're a little – okay, a lot – behind schedule, but we think the
                delay is worth it and we believe you'll appreciate the final product,
                too.

As in the past, anyone can view the nominated works, however, in order
                to
                vote, you must create an account and log in. You can register for an
                account at http://www.stargatefanawards.com/2007/captcha.php .

NOTE: You may already have an account on our main site if you
                nominated
                works or have created an account there. Unfortunately, you MUST create
                a
                new account on our voting site. Only this year's nominees have current

accounts and they can log in using their existing account information.

We apologize for this inconvenience and hope to fix this issue before
                the
                next awards' year.

Your account will keep track of your votes. You may log in at any time

to see in what categories and for whom you have voted. Not only that
                but,
                should you change your mind, you can modify your votes as many times
                as
                you wish up until the closing date of March 3, 2008.

Please rest assured that we will not divulge your email address to
                anyone.
                We adhere to a strict privacy policy.

For nominees, we have a special icon that you can place next to your
                nominated work(s) on any website to let folks know that you are
                nominated
                for an award. We will have these icons available within the next few
                days. Please check the home page at
                http://www.stargatefanawards.com/2007/index.php . We'll let you know
                when we post these icons.

This year, we have nearly 2400 nominations, embracing the SG-1 and
                Atlantis fandoms and encompassing both fan fiction and multimedia. So,

if you're ready to settle down to read fan fiction, view fan art, or
                sit
                back and watch fan music videos, then head on over to
                http://www.stargatefanawards.com/2007/index.php .

We wish to extend a heartfelt thank you to all of you for your ongoing
                patience and support. As always, it's been quite a learning curve for
                all
                of the team.

Best of luck to the nominees and happy voting!

The Stargate Fan Awards Team
                http://www.stargatefanawards.com/2007/index.php

go register to vote and check out the nominations and vote for your favorite fic
                I really hate to be a pain but I can't get this site to work...it keeps coming uip with the logo but that's it...nothing else...not here or on IE...is anyone else having issues or is it just me????
                I registered last night..got the confirmation email and all...and got into the fics for about an hour and that was it...now I can't vote and I can't read the fics...please help me!!!!!!!!
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
                  I really hate to be a pain but I can't get this site to work...it keeps coming uip with the logo but that's it...nothing else...not here or on IE...is anyone else having issues or is it just me????
                  I registered last night..got the confirmation email and all...and got into the fics for about an hour and that was it...now I can't vote and I can't read the fics...please help me!!!!!!!!
                  It's not you Chelle, it's broken
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                    It's not you Chelle, it's broken
                    Thanks RoX...well I hope they are aware of it and are fixing it!!! Night all!
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Boo!!

Comment

Hey Everyone,

I missed you all yesterday, I was having an SG1 day cause I got my S10 DVDs, so I watched all the special features, they were great

nonono, international fic has sam taking the lift up to the car park, hitting the market on the way home, where she uses a trolly to purchase her groceries. she puts the bags in the boot and drives home, turning the telly on in the lounge room while she makes herself a cuppa and has some biscuits while she snuggles in her jumper and picks at the plaster janet put on a minor cut of hers

LOL, that is kinda how I talk but why is it funnier when you 'say' it? ROTFL!
                        Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                        LOLOL. Well, being from te Netherlands most doesn't bother me at all (I don't even notice), the only thing I hate is when Sam & Jack (I mostly read ship fic ) call each other my love. Is that typical english? It sounds wrong somehow for them to be saying that.
                        Oh yeah I hate that too, I like fics that 'speak' with the characters voices I can read OOC as long as the characters voice and dialect are right.

And boo! Smiley welcome back!

Julia(samcarterrules)
                        Last edited by samcarterrules; 23 January 2008, 04:29 AM. Reason: missed a word...Doh! :P
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
                          Lets not forget about the bathroom/toilet/outhouse/dunny/loo
                          Don't forget washroom and restroom as well.

Oh and outhouse for me is the lowest form of uh..facilities. When camping at primitive sites, these hole in the ground wooden shacks are to feared!!

Comment

The older generation in the south adds an extra "R" to some words, including an onion... it's an urnion to them. Perhaps Colonel originated in the south How else to you explain the extra "R" that is silent when you spell it

As someone already mentioned a Hollow is the area between two hills or mountains and pronounced hollar to the older southern generation and holla to the younger generation. lol the one difference I can't get used to is creek - a small stream of water is pronounced creak (like break) by some. It must be from a different part of the south. lol I had no idea what my boss was talking about. Someone else had to translate

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                              The older generation in the south adds an extra "R" to some words, including an onion... it's an urnion to them. Perhaps Colonel originated in the south How else to you explain the extra "R" that is silent when you spell it

As someone already mentioned a Hollow is the area between two hills or mountains and pronounced hollar to the older southern generation and holla to the younger generation. lol the one difference I can't get used to is creek - a small stream of water is pronounced creak (like break) by some. It must be from a different part of the south. lol I had no idea what my boss was talking about. Someone else had to translate
                              I grew up saying creek like 'crick' (rhymes with Rick).

Comment

*sigh* I'm late. Oh well.
                                *scribbles quickly on bottom*

Originally posted by Über View Post
                                FIVE WORD CHALLENGE update:

Alan: Will you marry me Amanda?
                                RepliCartertje: Your boobies all the way!
                                Mandysg1: Thanks for Sam and Helen.
                                Agent Dark: your micro is teh pwnage
                                mapsc (Mike): Sam rocks. So do you.
                                suse: You are a class act.
                                Sg Gato: You're an inspiration to us.
                                hisg1fans: Keep up the good work
                                The-rage: Who inspired you for acting?
                                SunKrux: How's Olivia's Devil Duck Doing?
                                JanSam: Please run for US President.
                                jckfan55: Sam's a great Atlantis Commander.
                                NZNeep: Inspiring, goofy, loving, smart. Hugs?
                                Deejay435: Your work brings me joy.
                                antoa315: Holy ----! You ------- rock!
                                Tittamiire: Amanda, thank you for everything.
                                antoa315's offline friend Mysterious Stranger: Purple monkey dishwasher... thank you!
                                Skydiver: hey, wanna go get lunch?
                                donamac: She's beautiful inside and out!
                                majorsal: YOU ARE THE WO MAN!!
                                Rocky456: Amanda, never change a thing.
                                RealmOfX: Amanda's amazing, awesome, astounding, awe-inspiring.
                                Bekah See: You're my all-time favorite actress.
                                LaCroix: One all around magnificent person.
                                tara3583: Amanda, Fans, circle of love!
                                SamJackShipLover: Amanda you are the best!
                                Spacegirlnz: Thank you for being you =)
                                helenmagnus23: AMANDA, the greatest role model.
                                Julia(samcarterrules): Amanda, you are my hero.
                                chelle db: You're the awesome-est Tappinating Spottie!!
                                sofie: You have the biggest heart.
                                Celandine: Thanks for just being you.
                                scifithinker: Making our lives more colorful.
                                Suz: Come back to New York!
                                Ames: You rock the rock-rock!
                                Tracy Jane: My girlfriend wants a hug.
                                Coley: Thanks for your megawatt smile.
                                SWMBOTGSG (aka Mumsey): Thanks for always being yourself.
                                jz9: Sam: Captain, Major, Colonel, General?
                                Atlantis_babe34: Can I Have A Hug?
                                Forestia: You make science geeks cool!
                                Suse:Your graciousness is an example.
                                PengYn: Honey, you own the room.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X