Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what sam did in reunion

Spoiler:
    it was simply a writing device, a temporary 'dumbing' down of the show to 'show' instead of 'telling' the audience - many of which may not or will not have watched sg1 - that this character is no desk jockey. she's a soldier and, as such, is able to go out in the field and do jobs that weir - as a civilian - never could have done

It was no different than Jacob's 'sam, i used to ba usaf general rembmer' comment or other things like that that crept into s6 to introduce a new audience to existing viewers
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie View Post
      sam's role in reunion
      Spoiler:
      the character had to be shown as someone who doesn't leave people behind, considering she had just told sheppard that they weren't going after weir without a plan.

this is all tv logic. yeah sure, maybe in the real world sam - in her new role- wouldn't have been the one to go on the rescue mission. i don't know. (of course none of this would have happened in the real world) i do know tv though. and in the tv world it made sense to have sam go.

the audience needed to know who sam is. her leading the mission in no way undermined shep. shep went into an unknown situation that went wrong. sam had more info. she also had ronon who was more in the know of what they were dealing with.

yes it would have made sense to have sent lorne, but lorne isn't the character being introduced. they had to hit the point home of sam doesn't leave her people behind. the audience also had to be shown that sam is not only a scientist, but a soldier. the atlantis crowd already knew she was a scientist because her previous role's in atlantis have been scientific.

as for daniel making more sense as the new leader, i completely disagree. daniel's a good negotiator and diplomat when he has to be, but unlike weir, its not his training. that was (IMO) what weir had going for her as a leader. sam has actual leadership history. she's been trained for leadership. she's lead not only an sg team, but also a whole gaggle of scientists at area 51 (gaggle is the correct term. trust me.) also, from a tv standpoint, she is the one with more history with the show.

as for her making shep and mckay redundant. well thats just not the case. thats like saying that caldwell or lorne makes shep redundant, and zelenka makes mckay redundant. just because she has the same skills as more than one person put together, doesn't make them redundant, as she's not there to do their jobs. she's there to lead the entire expodition. the fact that she understands completely what the likes of shep and mckay are talking about puts her at a leadership advantage in terms of being more likely to be able to make the right decisions based on their input.

rant over.
      True, I didn't really think about it like that, from a TV standpoint I mean. I know its a TV show but sometimes I forget that TV doesn't always have to follow reality. Nice ranting

Julia(samcarterrules)
      sigpic
      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        what sam did in reunion

Spoiler:
        it was simply a writing device, a temporary 'dumbing' down of the show to 'show' instead of 'telling' the audience - many of which may not or will not have watched sg1 - that this character is no desk jockey. she's a soldier and, as such, is able to go out in the field and do jobs that weir - as a civilian - never could have done

It was no different than Jacob's 'sam, i used to be usaf general remember' comment or other things like that that crept into s6 to introduce a new audience to existing viewers
        Some really good discussion here today about this whole "should she or shouldn't she?" thing ...

I'm in this camp because, as Sky and others point out,
        Spoiler:
        this is TV Land and there may be SGA fans who have never watched SG1 regularly. They need a primer on just who the Sam Carter character is and what better way to show them than by Sam's words and deeds - going off world like that, in combat mode, was a powerful reminder that this woman is more than a scientist - she knows how to handle herself in the field. I loved seeing Action Sam alongside the SGA regulars. Couldn't you say that Rodney McKay should not go off world as often as he does because he is mainly a scientist? I think, though, that they have incorporated him more and more into the hostile action of past couple seasons too. I like the idea of mixing it up and letting them all get out there and be heroic. In real life, the most respected generals/officers of past wars were those who stood beside their soldiers in battle. I can see Sam doing this too.

I'm a happy camper no matter where Sam is - just having Amanda still play that role is super. I so hope that she renews her contract for S5 if this gig continues to work for her, professionally and personally.

Here's an interesting fellow-fan question. If you had to choose just one role next year for Amanda, would you rather see her continue on as commander in SGA or as Dr. Helen Magnus in Sanctuary?

I'd have to weigh in for SGA. Of course, I'm hoping that she's able to, and wants to, do both!

No matter what she does, she will never lose this honkin' big fanbase of hers! We're all Amandaddicted.

THE TAPPINATOR RULES

Comment

sam in reunion
          Spoiler:
          she probably just felt like pwning some noobs. understandable really, because its a satisfying feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
            sam in reunion
            Spoiler:
            she probably just felt like pwning some noobs. understandable really, because its a satisfying feeling.
            I'm sorry..."pwning some noobs"? What does that mean? Is it even English?

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD, THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
            K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
              <snip>
              Here's an interesting fellow-fan question. If you had to choose just one role next year for Amanda, would you rather see her continue on as commander in SGA or as Dr. Helen Magnus in Sanctuary?

I'd have to weigh in for SGA. Of course, I'm hoping that she's able to, and wants to, do both!

No matter what she does, she will never lose this honkin' big fanbase of hers! We're all Amandaddicted.

THE TAPPINATOR RULES
              Whereas I'm going to have to weigh in for Dr Helen Magnus. Why? To me the role has a much wider potential for Amanda as an actress, time for us to see her in a more complicated role.

I'm greedy though and hope we see her in both roles but I'll watch whichever role Amanda chooses to do
              -

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                I'm sorry..."pwning some noobs"? What does that mean? Is it even English?
                It's game speak. Don't worry, you'll learn
                -

Comment

sam in reunion
                  Spoiler:
                  Oh AD, you have such a way with words
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                    It's game speak. Don't worry, you'll learn
                    Oh, I play games on-line but I don't think I've ever come across this term. But then I'm usually dodging and weaving between bullets and bombs to notice the teams talking to each other.

It's just "pwning some noobs"... it sounds...well...not right...if you catch my drift.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD, THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                      Oh, I play games on-line but I don't think I've ever come across this term. But then I'm usually dodging and weaving between bullets and bombs to notice the teams talking to each other.

It's just "pwning some noobs"... it sounds...well...not right...if you catch my drift.
                      lol. you dont play online games if you've never heard of the term.

ps, what games you roll?

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
                        Some really good discussion here today about this whole "should she or shouldn't she?" thing ...

I'm in this camp because, as Sky and others point out,
                        Spoiler:
                        this is TV Land and there may be SGA fans who have never watched SG1 regularly. They need a primer on just who the Sam Carter character is and what better way to show them than by Sam's words and deeds - going off world like that, in combat mode, was a powerful reminder that this woman is more than a scientist - she knows how to handle herself in the field. I loved seeing Action Sam alongside the SGA regulars. Couldn't you say that Rodney McKay should not go off world as often as he does because he is mainly a scientist? I think, though, that they have incorporated him more and more into the hostile action of past couple seasons too. I like the idea of mixing it up and letting them all get out there and be heroic. In real life, the most respected generals/officers of past wars were those who stood beside their soldiers in battle. I can see Sam doing this too.

I'm a happy camper no matter where Sam is - just having Amanda still play that role is super. I so hope that she renews her contract for S5 if this gig continues to work for her, professionally and personally.

THE TAPPINATOR RULES
                        Nice post! whooops and cheers on the bolded part
                        And to your question, that's a tough one, Sam is so special and fantastic. Helen is new and an unknown enigma! Oooh don't know I'll sleep on it

Night Everyone ((((((((((Samanda's))))))))))

Julia(samcarterrules)
                        Last edited by samcarterrules; 28 October 2007, 03:05 PM. Reason: spelling doh!
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

lol. you dont play online games if you've never heard of the term.

ps, what games you roll?
                          I play Delta Force: Black Hawk Down.

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                          Nice post! whooops and cheers on the bolded part
                          And to your question, that's a tough one, Sam is so special and fantastic. Helen is new and an unknown enigma! Oooh don't know I'll sleep on it

Night Everyone ((((((((((Samanda's))))))))))

Julia(samcarterrules)
                          Night Julia.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
                            MGM has posted a video promo for Tabula Rasa on their web site. AT does the intro to the clip. http://stargate.mgm.com/video.php?id=76

can i ask this of someone that's seen the promo? does the promo give away too much? i like being surprised (and didn't watch the 'travelers' promo either).

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Über View Post
                              I read an interesting review for Reunion that included a line that I found interesting enough to have to respond to in a comment. Basically, the notion was that [Reunion Spoilers]
                              Spoiler:
                              by rescuing Shep and his team, Sam "de-balled" him.
                              Here's my response to that line of thinking (at this point I'm the only comment on this blog entry so I shouldn't be hard to find):

http://www.mediapundit.net/2007/10/m...a-reunion.html

So did I call it right or was I overreacting?
                              I think you were right. SG team members
                              Spoiler:
                              are always saving each other and I don't think that minimizes the rescue-ee
                              --whether on SG1 or Atlantis. I think this person had a Sam problem.

I was sad not to see Sam in this week's episode, but considering I thought it was a pretty lame episode, not totally disappointed. I did think they could have
                              Spoiler:
                              referred to getting the ok from Carter to do the mission or something, though.
                              Last edited by jckfan55; 28 October 2007, 03:39 PM. Reason: spoilers

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                                can i ask this of someone that's seen the promo? does the promo give away too much? i like being surprised (and didn't watch the 'travelers' promo either).

sally
                                I recommend that you don't watch the promo if you like being surprised
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X