Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
    LOL! Good point. They allow the co-leadership issue, but make sure Amanda cuts her hair so that it's "regulation length" each season.

Also, if she's not in the field, they might be able to justify its length.
    not to mention the big no-no of nepotism with landry and lam

I'm thinking that sam's hair will be longer which could be pretty cool.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
      I've seen people bemoan 'Super!Sam' but in lots of ways it's a convention of the genre; having her ben an expert in fields which have nothing to do with theoretical astrophysics. They do the same with Bill Lee and with Daniel. It's just easier (and cheaper) to have one of your main cast do the stuff rather than a guest scientist of the week, reality be blowed.
      I don't watch Atlantis, but I can understand Atlantis fans not being happy with any member of SG1 turning up in their show, they must be worried about the new character overshadowing the existing ones. Good writing, of course, could circumvent these fears, we shall have to see how well TPTB handle matters.

I was hoping for a promotion, not her becoming a civilian.

FF
      She said, in an interview that she'd be arriving in Atlantis in her own ship - So I definitely think she's still in the military. The question I'd have is - Is she finally promoted to Colonel?

Being a soldier/scientist is so much a part of what makes up Sam Carter I can't see them changing that.

I think she's going to Atlantis to give Atlantis a military leader but one who understands scientists and is sensitive to their needs not just the military side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
        Well I hope they let Amanda keep her longer hair, with or without extensions, because she looked lovely in London and Toronto with longer hair. I also liked the red highlights she had. From what I have heard from talking to others in the military, as long as Sam's hair is above her collar she should be ok. Sam can keep the longer hair and simply wear it in a braid or bun while on duty. Personally after the fiasco that was co-leadership, I really don't see the reason for anyone to have a tizzy over the length of Sam's hair. It seems to me that they stopped using a military advisor a long time ago. So hopefully as long as her hair is kept in a braid there won't be a lot of people going off the deep end. Though I'm sure there will always be a select few who will be sitting in front of their television screens, measuring tape in hand, to verify that Sam's braid did not extend beneath her collar.
        Personally I think she looks better with shorter hair (not too short just shorter) to me she looks younger with short hair. That aside I really don't care what they do with the hair as long as it's NOT pigtails - THAT was a fiasco of a pubescent 12 year old (with a silly little girl crush too boot).

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          they will never utter 'we were wrong'

I agree 'it was time' is all they'll ever say
          I don't mind so much if they don't say that they were wrong; it's more important that they acknowledge to themselves that it wasn't the way to go.

I wonder how they'll handle it for the movies, though.

What do you guys think?

a) The movies take place before Sam's promotion and appearance on Atlantis.
          b) The first movie takes place before Sam's promotion, the second after.
          c) Both movies take place after Sam's promotion - or maybe she could be promoted onscreen in the first.

My guess is that if they use options (b) or (c), there won't really be a chain of command - though, depending on the size of his role, Jack may be leader in the second - it'll just be the same muddy co-lead situation we've had all through the past two seasons.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by starprops View Post
            She said, in an interview that she'd be arriving in Atlantis in her own ship - So I definitely think she's still in the military. The question I'd have is - Is she finally promoted to Colonel?

Being a soldier/scientist is so much a part of what makes up Sam Carter I can't see them changing that.

I think she's going to Atlantis to give Atlantis a military leader but one who understands scientists and is sensitive to their needs not just the military side of things.
            Which I think makes her an ideal choice for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
              I don't mind so much if they don't say that they were wrong; it's more important that they acknowledge to themselves that it wasn't the way to go.

I wonder how they'll handle it for the movies, though.

What do you guys think?

a) The movies take place before Sam's promotion and appearance on Atlantis.
              b) The first movie takes place before Sam's promotion, the second after.
              c) Both movies take place after Sam's promotion - or maybe she could be promoted onscreen in the first.

My guess is that if they use options (b) or (c), there won't really be a chain of command - though, depending on the size of his role, Jack may be leader in the second - it'll just be the same muddy co-lead situation we've had all through the past two seasons.
              Well given that Coop is or has written the first movie, I doubt there is no way in hell, Sam (a woman) will ever out rank action/here/ male Cam...sheesh what were you thinking

I think there is more of a chance of Sam being promoted in the second movie by O'Neill, having it come full circle in way..the original Colonel promoting the new Colonel.

But then again with these PTB who knows
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

RE: Quest Part2

Spoiler:
                Was great to see Sam again! And to see her deck Ba'al! Was a nice team/ensemble type ep I wish we'd seen more of last season.

Can't wait for Line in The Sand next Friday.
                Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                  Yep, the guys in suits were definitely a plus. I just wish that there'd been other experts for the different myths to sort of lend credence to the series' contribution to pop culture, etc. But it was nice to see the guys host a show together.

One thing that I found interesting was that Brad Wright admitted that Carter was probably the hardest character to portray. He mentioned that she was one part of each - military/warrior and scientist/thinker. And, of course, he mentioned that she was also a woman.

But I can understand why it would be difficult for them. How do you portray someone who's got all of these attributes, and make her believable? How do you keep her from taking over the show in some ways, or from stepping on other people's toes?

If it was even remotely a problem on SG-1, I think it definitely has the potential to be an even bigger problem on Atlantis, simply because of her years of experience. So, knowing that, I think (and hope) that they'll continue to develop her character accordingly.
                  Very astute observations, Spaz, as always.

I enjoyed The Pegasus Project
                  Spoiler:
                  where she was just a visitor to Atlantis accompanied by her team
                  , but it will be interesting to see how they handle the character as more of a regular. Hmmmmmm... wonder how the Atlantis credits & opening will be reorganized with the addition of Sam in S4?
                  Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)

Comment

Caption Me:

"You're kidding, right? Please tell me that's not how they plan to style my hair for Atlantis!"

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
                      Caption Me:

"You're kidding, right? Please tell me that's not how they plan to style my hair for Atlantis!"
                      "Um...a little conditioner might go a long way."
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                        Well given that Coop is or has written the first movie, I doubt there is no way in hell, Sam (a woman) will ever out rank action/here/ male Cam...sheesh what were you thinking
                        Coop or no Coop, Sam seems to be much more of a leader than Mitchell, regardless of titles.

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                        I think there is more of a chance of Sam being promoted in the second movie by O'Neill, having it come full circle in way..the original Colonel promoting the new Colonel.
                        That I'd like to see. I just hope that TPTB won't be idiots and promote Mitchell at the same time. I wouldn't put it past them, although they have seemed to lose interest in Mitchell of late.

Comment

Cool greenscreen from AT in Sanctuary... More captionary...?

Spoiler:

www.sanctuaryforall.com

Spoiler:
                          Helen tenderizes some beef.
                          Last edited by tagger; 14 April 2007, 07:35 PM.
                          Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                          Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by NZBG View Post
                            I just noticed something I hadn't seen before

In 200
                            Spoiler:

After the Star Trek spoof when Cam is doing his little "never underestimate your audience" speech, watch Sam. Amanda is so goofy

do you have a photo to go along with this?

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                              Cool greenscreen from AT in Sanctuary... More captionary...?

Spoiler:

www.sanctuaryforall.com
                              Spoiler:
                              "I hope they never complain about dinner not being fresh anymore."
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                                Spoiler:

www.sanctuaryforall.com
                                Spoiler:
                                I thought I told you that I didn't want to be disturbed while I made dinner!!
                                sigpic
                                I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X