Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i too have doubts

to have a bsg level of darkness...well the writer has to be willing to take that extra 'can't fix this in post' step with the plot and the characters. there can be no magic reset switch.no forced happy ending. actions need to be 'real' and have consequences

aand given that these people ascende a whole frakking planet rather than kill off characters, i don't know if they have it in them to be so dark
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
      I love everyone's answers for the 3 Sam eps you'd take on a desert island.
      I must have missed the boat to the desert island

If this is that same island with a hatch that lets me watch my Sam dvds, then I'd definitely take Singularity. Erm... Threads too... Also Entity... Ooh but I'd really like ItLoD, and Jolinar's Memories. And maybe LitS and Unending. Oh and Death Knell. Okay can I compress all of these, 'cause I don't know if I can go to this island with just three?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
        I've updated the Sam-whumping fanfiction list with 34 new stories. I'm still working on the Samficathon fics, so another update will follow shortly. I just wanted to do something nice for Easter.

If you notice errors, please let me know. I always screw something up every time I update, so...
        Any reccomendations from the new entires? I have two eight hour flights to amuse myself... I'm thinking about re-reading nadir but i'd like something new... and long
        Becks

Comment

Actually, part of what appealed to me initially about SG1 was that it was scifi that made me laugh and think. I like the lighter side of things for entertainment - RL has enough dark stuff.

On the other hand, I often wondered how the team could handle so much death, so little down time, and so much stress without someone losing it, but TV land is consequence- free.

If darkness means actions have real consequence, cool, I think...

Spoiler:
          I am happy Carter will get a (long overdue IMO) leadership position, but echo what many have said about wishing it did not mean losing other characters..

WOW, a lot going on this year!

FINALLY, season 10 is gonna start up again next week.

Happy Easter!

P.S. Cliff Simon is totally hot. Yipes.

EDIT: Forgot the desert island question: Threads, Entity, and whichever episode has the most replicarter - AT did a great job with subtle changes in the character.
          Last edited by tagger; 06 April 2007, 01:35 PM.
          Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
          Quint Studer

Comment

Here's a poll that was started today

Carter in Atlantis: Yay or Nay

Thought I'd post it here just in case people don't travel much outside of this thread.

Comment

Hi

Just dropping in to say I've updated Aftershocks for those that follow it:

Mixed Emotions

The TAG follows Serpents Song in S2.

On the rumoured darker turn for SGA...I hope they don't go as dark as BSG. I can't get into it because its just too dark for me, although I will be pleased if they dump the supposed humour eps of the likes of 'Irresistible' - if they just make episodes which have a good storyline which includes some moments of levity along with some drama a la Abyss, I'll be happy.
              sigpic
              Women of the Gate LJ Community.
              My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                i agree. whomever directed the 'male lead must be boss' directive likely now realizes that they did a huge disservice to both characters actually.

but - even though just 100 miles away we have 8 freaking inches of snow for easter - it's not cold enough for netu to freeze, thus they will never say 'yeah, we were wrong'

Even if you take gender out of it, basically demoting the experienced officer in favor of a new, totally untried one, was a mistake. we could all see it, i think members of the cast and crew coudl see it, but TPTB will never admit it (either because they did it or because they are too professional to say 'yeah, the fine folks at skiffy made us do it)
                but how do you think it'll effect sam's place on sg1 in the movies?

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post

sally
                  I think that really depends on timing and when they plan to release the movies. If they plan to release the movies first (completely possible, given that they are in production at the same time), then it probably makes no difference to her place on SG1. If the other way round, then it's an interesting prospect.
                  Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post

However, as someone who was ticked beyond belief about S9, I can totally feel for some of the Atlantis fans. I could go on (in detail) about how they messed up with Weir, probably due to the fact that she's (a) not in the field, therefore not in the action and (b) isn't Shep or McKay, but I'll refrain.
                    asking this as someone's that never watched an ep of atlantis, and knowing that some might feel weir did bad while others love her totally... what's to say they don't write sam the way you say they messed up with weir?

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post

If darkness means actions have real consequence, cool, I think...

Spoiler:
                      I am happy Carter will get a (long overdue IMO) leadership position, but echo what many have said about wishing it did not mean losing other characters..

Spoiler:
                      but sam *had* a leadership position (s8), then they took it away from her and then let her co-lead it with mitchell.

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

asking this as someone's that never watched an ep of atlantis, and knowing that some might feel weir did bad while others love her totally... what's to say they don't write sam the way you say they messed up with weir?

sally
                        There's no telling, is there? However, Sam is a better established character, already has an dynamic with one of the main characters going in, and won't have people constantly asking why she's not being played by the original actress (you'd have thought that people would have enough knowledge of the industry to be able to guess that the answer was other work committments without being told directly every other minute, but apparently not ) and that they don't like her as much. On the minus side, bringing her into a new environment with all the tension inherent within that? For all the positives that might bring, there is a chance that they might still frak it up- I'd suspect by trying too hard. But I imagine the experience with the character both from the writers, the crew and Amanda herself will prevent that. Hopefully...
                        sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

Spoiler:
                          but sam *had* a leadership position (s8), then they took it away from her and then let her co-lead it with mitchell.

sally
                          And even that was unclear.

Looking at the responses on the blog, it appears that Atlantis fans are commenting on the very issue we had a year ago. Too late now though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                            I think that really depends on timing and when they plan to release the movies. If they plan to release the movies first (completely possible, given that they are in production at the same time), then it probably makes no difference to her place on SG1. If the other way round, then it's an interesting prospect.
                            i'm just hoping that...

Spoiler:
                            since they're giving her full command of something, that they aren't going to take away the co-lead thinger between her and mitchell and just give him full command of it. i like mitchell because of season 10, but i'm still bothered by the events of season 9. i don't want this to be their cure-all for events (since it really doesn't cure anything and just sweeps things under the rug and sacrifices another character for one to progress. again). =highlighting jack in s10 doesn't erase what they did to him in s9=

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

sally
                              nothing. absolutely nothing.

the only big difference is that teh writers have known amanda for going on 11 years and torri for less, which MIGHT give amanda more ability to stand up and say 'umm, you know, this isn't right'

then again, when she tried to stop the sam/pete snog in affinity she was ignored. so nothing at all

a year from now we may be mourning the further abuse of a good character at the hands of some juvenile minded writers

sally
                              dunno. i don't know enough about the movies and thier timeline and release to even make a guess
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

sally
                                I think they will probably seperate entities, SGA won't take into account what happened in the movies and the movies won't even think about Atlantis. I remember Worf doing both ST Deep Space 9 and the movies.
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X