Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    if i get the yen to buy one, i go through the stargateautographs site...the proceeds ALL go to charity

I was beyond sickened one year at gatecon when i was hanging in the dealer's room and saw the lightspeed dealer grab one of the actors - figuratively - and get him/her to sign a bunch of autos....that they were telling later in the day

frakking profiteering

All the autos that i've gotten hand proudly on my wall or in a scrap book and i would never dream of selling teh non-personalized ones.

I know it's faster for the actor to non-personalize, but at times i wish they did all the time. that woudl make it harder to resell the autos
    With Creation, it's THEIR thing to not allow personaliation of autographs. They think the lines will move slower if they allow it. It's BS. I've been in lines where it's not allowed and in lines where it is...and you know what...the line doesn't move any slower or faster either way. It just moves. Most fans seem perfectly fine to stand and chat with fellow fans while they politely wait. It's only the idiot fans who choose to fly out the same day the con ends. THAT's just plan dumb imho. Fly out the morning AFTER the con ends. Hello, we all know that autograph lines are going to be long, so just deal.

Don't know about other dealers. But we all need to remember, Creation is running a business. Sadly they have to suck most if not all of the profits from the actors. That pisses me off....and don't get me started on what their NOT doing for the FINAL Full on Farscape Con in November.
    sigpic
    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Sam Carter question (I know, I can't believe it either!)

Carter has rather obviously evolved as a character over the years, but one thing she's always seemed to have is a core element of self-confidence. It got me to wondering, did she walk in the door with such unswerving self-assurance, or was that an evolving product of her tenure on SG-1?

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

i agree, not personalizing doesn't 'save' that much time. and it just makes things all that more anonymous. Might as well be robots in line getting autos from a programmed machine, cause that's how it's handled.

And that might appeal to some actors. I know that cons, to them, are ntohing more than a well paying gig and easy money for a weekend's work.

but others out there really want to get to know thier fans. they want to see the people that have helped make thier career. and for them, that impersonalness runs contrary to what they want.

I choose not to go to creation cons. I feel that they treat me like nothing more than a walking pocket book and that their goal is to do nothing more than get the maximum amount of money for the minimum input. If i wanted to be treated like an anonymous waste of space, dude i'll stay at work and get PAID for it

I like that Amanda chooses to not do those kind of cons and prefers the smaller ones. I don't get the idea that the weekend is treated like 'easy money', and, in fact, get teh idea that for some of the cons that, while she's certainly compensated for her time, it's not a 'for profit' event.

she's aware of the fact that attendees have paid for the privilege to be there and traveled and journeyed and is aware that, if it wasn't for them, she wouldn't be there. and she likes to meet people and put names to faces.

Hands down, i would rather go to a smaller con with her than any grand event with a dozen other actors.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post

Carter has rather obviously evolved as a character over the years, but one thing she's always seemed to have is a core element of self-confidence. It got me to wondering, did she walk in the door with such unswerving self-assurance, or was that an evolving product of her tenure on SG-1?
          you know, i think she grew into it. I think, in COTG, she was bluster. she was ticked that she hadn't been on the first team and by golly she WAS going to be on this one. And nothing was going to stop her...and she bluffed her way through stuff.

it wasn't a 'i'm an idiot and making this up as i go along' kind of bluff...but a 'i'm scared out of my wits, but i will nto let them see it and i'll prove to them that i do need to be here'

I do think, after 10 years of hammond and jack listening to and trusting her, she's grown in her confidence. she knows her abilities and her competance and knows that she can do what she says she can do. but she's also smart enough not to make promises she can't keep
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGirl422 View Post
            4 Hours and 30 minutes. *gulp*

I decided to get up off my butt and leave GW (although not GW-ers) for the evening. I'm heading straight from work to the Tup in Covent Garden.

Oh... and I've pinched a roll of toilet paper from the bathrooms (they always over stock the gal's loo's anyway) 'cause I left my tissues at home. Do you think I should take an extra one? Only, some other folks might need some too... although they were probably sensible enough to pack the kleenex.

Yay Mandy for 4000!
            Oh cool! I want to go! Have a blast twin! Wow, this is one of those really legendary moments. I love that a bunch of GWers are watching it together. We'll want lots of details when you get home. Don't even think about sleeping until you update us!

Congrats on 4000 Mandy! I'm just wondering how many of those 4,000 posts were posted right here in Samanda...

Comment

but others out there really want to get to know thier fans. they want to see the people that have helped make thier career. and for them, that impersonalness runs contrary to what they want.
              Amanda actually knew - I mean really knew - more people who came in the fan group to see her at TVM than I did! She went through the book you guys gave her and pointed out signatures and those *I* didn't recognize, she told me who they were! She was so genuinely happy to see everyone (again in some cases). She actually told ME we were going to go outside and see the gang, before I could even say anything and took my hand and went skipping up the aisle of the theatre. I was about bowled over by her enthusiasm and warmth about it all. She is (bar none) the most approachable, most genuine 'celebrity' I've ever met in my life.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

i agree, not personalizing doesn't 'save' that much time. and it just makes things all that more anonymous. Might as well be robots in line getting autos from a programmed machine, cause that's how it's handled.

And that might appeal to some actors. I know that cons, to them, are ntohing more than a well paying gig and easy money for a weekend's work.
                Actually, you'd be surprised how wrong that assumption is. Unless it's well known actor, the cons only supplement their income. Lessor known actors - let's say for example Gary Jones - will NOT get the fee that Amanda, Rick, MS or CJ will get, because he's a "lessor character" and with Creation, they tend to focus (way too much imho) on the "well known" actors. Hence why many of the actors (like Gary, who are popular with most of the fans) will not make appearances at cons (especially if it's a Creation) because they get jack**** for payment/fee. Creation thinks that if they don't get the "big names" fans won't come. Whatever.

I choose not to go to creation cons. I feel that they treat me like nothing more than a walking pocket book and that their goal is to do nothing more than get the maximum amount of money for the minimum input. If i wanted to be treated like an anonymous waste of space, dude i'll stay at work and get PAID for it
                That's true to a point. I've been to all but one of the FS cons Creation runs and thankfully Adam and Gary have actually listened to the fans and the cons have gotten better. They aren't perfect because lets face it, they're running a business. But at least now Adam (he's way more approachable than Gary) is more willing to listen to fans and actually help them out. Gary is well...Gary. It depends on his moods I suppose.

A lot of times the actors have NO CHOICE when it comes to Creation cons, it's the contract their production company signs. They (the production company) put in the contracts that x number of actors will attend x number of cons (for a fee - that Creation gets most of sadly). Sad because Creation is all about the "big names" the "little guys" (like Gary) tend to get shafted.

I like that Amanda chooses to not do those kind of cons and prefers the smaller ones. I don't get the idea that the weekend is treated like 'easy money', and, in fact, get teh idea that for some of the cons that, while she's certainly compensated for her time, it's not a 'for profit' event.

she's aware of the fact that attendees have paid for the privilege to be there and traveled and journeyed and is aware that, if it wasn't for them, she wouldn't be there. and she likes to meet people and put names to faces.

Hands down, i would rather go to a smaller con with her than any grand event with a dozen other actors.
                True that. But, for some of us, seeing Amanda at Gatecons is the ONLY way we'll ever get to see her. Saving the money to fly to the UK or elsewhere in the US is not a doable thing, so I think Amanda from the bottom of my heart for putting up with the putzes at Creation.
                Last edited by SunKrux; 13 March 2007, 10:23 AM.
                sigpic
                I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

you know, i think she grew into it. I think, in COTG, she was bluster. she was ticked that she hadn't been on the first team and by golly she WAS going to be on this one. And nothing was going to stop her...and she bluffed her way through stuff.

it wasn't a 'i'm an idiot and making this up as i go along' kind of bluff...but a 'i'm scared out of my wits, but i will nto let them see it and i'll prove to them that i do need to be here'

I do think, after 10 years of hammond and jack listening to and trusting her, she's grown in her confidence. she knows her abilities and her competance and knows that she can do what she says she can do. but she's also smart enough not to make promises she can't keep
                  I agree completely. We've watched her self confidence grow. Come on, how can your self confidence not get a boost or two from being the one who makes alien technology compatable (with a laptop, no less), blowing up suns (o.k., so it was only one sun but she could've blown up more) , and saving the world (not to mention the universe) countless times? She is an intelligent woman. She has to know that by now.

And, she is totally ready to lead again (not colead, not 2IC, just Sam in Command). I hope we see that aspect of her character addressed again in the very near future.

Comment

Tell me about it! *grin*

It's like .... hi, my name is Xcapte, you pronounce it "Karen".

ps-> I do love your name, though Sio! I think it's verry PURDY.
                    LOL! I have a second cousin who was named Niamh. It's pronounced 'neeve'. We Irish don't make things easy!
                    Pixie's Haven

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                      It's my 4000th post who'd a thunk I could say so much

I had to make sure I came home to Samanda to make it, and just tell everyone what a great bunch you all are!!!!

and borrowing from Minigeek (althouth I still think her name should be changed to gadgetgeek)

*HUGS EVERYONE*
                      Yay! Congrats on the 4000!

Sio
                      Pixie's Haven

Comment

Amanda actually knew - I mean really knew - more people who came in the fan group to see her at TVM than I did! She went through the book you guys gave her and pointed out signatures and those *I* didn't recognize, she told me who they were! She was so genuinely happy to see everyone (again in some cases). She actually told ME we were going to go outside and see the gang, before I could even say anything and took my hand and went skipping up the aisle of the theatre. I was about bowled over by her enthusiasm and warmth about it all. She is (bar none) the most approachable, most genuine 'celebrity' I've ever met in my life.
                        Oh, how cool! So, it was completely Amanda's idea to go out and see everyone! That is just precious. She really wanted to meet you guys. She could have snuck out the back door or waited you out, but she made the choice to go see her fans. That is too cool! (Ooops, I already said that, didn't I?) Oh, well, it is cool!

Comment

Originally posted by pixiesio View Post
                          LOL! I have a second cousin who was named Niamh. It's pronounced 'neeve'. We Irish don't make things easy!
                          I love Irish names. Two of my favourites are Aoife and Caoilfhionn.
                          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Boy I don't know where to start this post, I feel so sad I can't believe today is the final ep ever everyone travelling to London take care, I sure wish I could be there with you all, have a drink for me and I'll be with you in spirit Kleenex in hand in front of my tv

As to the person trying to sell Amanda's autograph, this makes me so I was lucky enough to be at AT2 and get a personalised auto from Amanda and I also got a few unpersonalised(sp?) ones as well because of ending up in hospital while in London and missing most of the con I felt so privileged that Amanda took time to do this for me as well as writing me a get well note too I would never dream of selling any of them anywhere because these are the things that help me to remember the wonderful time I had and how wonderful I felt meeting Amanda

I hope the autos continue to go unsold and the persons ebay account can be canseled or at the very least restricted.

This post took me ages to type my brain is full of sadness

Julia(samcarterrules)
                            Last edited by samcarterrules; 13 March 2007, 10:40 AM. Reason: can't spell lol
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
                              Oh, how cool! So, it was completely Amanda's idea to go out and see everyone! That is just precious. She really wanted to meet you guys. She could have snuck out the back door or waited you out, but she made the choice to go see her fans. That is too cool! (Ooops, I already said that, didn't I?) Oh, well, it is cool!
                              Totally agree. (OMG, a Me Too post...) There have been a lot of really neat stories shared here about Amanda, but that has to be one of the nicest.... 'Cause as Michelle said, she absolutely did not have to, yet she did.

Comment

I think I have to agree with Sky on this one...I think she grew...and grew a lot...yes in the begining she was self-confident but I also think that at that time she also wasn't. I mean I think she wanted to be, but she also had her doubts about herself. I mean she knew she was a great scientist and a great soldier. But I think at the time of the first season. She doubted herself if she would fit in... Even if she knew she was good...Although I don't think she ever truly thought that... she knew what she could do... Is something else then thinking that you are good...
                                With time she also learned new things and got more self- confidence by doing things and also by seeing that others believed in what she did. I think now she is at a point where she has the confident... And of course she always will have her insecurities...but that is something she has to put herself over it... I mean even the person who thinks she is the best in something will doubt herself now and then. And Sam also does that... she trust her own abilities but now and then she also doubt herself. I mean especially if something doesn't go to plan. I mean yes she knows sometimes that can happen but I think in those times, she start doubting...Of course she is a strong women and can get over that rather fast...

Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
                                Oh cool! I want to go! Have a blast twin! Wow, this is one of those really legendary moments. I love that a bunch of GWers are watching it together. We'll want lots of details when you get home. Don't even think about sleeping until you update us!

Congrats on 4000 Mandy! I'm just wondering how many of those 4,000 posts were posted right here in Samanda...
                                What she said...Everyone that is going to London...ENJOY YOUR TIME!!! don't cry to much...think as it as 10 great years and to amazing friendships... and please do update us...

And MegYn I am glad you decided to go

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                                Totally agree. (OMG, a Me Too post...) There have been a lot of really neat stories shared here about Amanda, but that has to be one of the nicest.... 'Cause as Michelle said, she absolutely did not have to, yet she did.
                                You know...I think I have to also make it a me too post I think that story just shows the essence of who Amanda is and why we like her so much!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X