No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things always get a bit rocky during long haitus'. It's hard to talk about a show that you can't see or that half of us can't watch. I may be in teh same boat with sanctuary.

I actually have a beef about all this 'distributed via the net' stuff. They're making the HUGE assumption that everyone has and has access to high speed.

A good chunk of this country is rural. They're lucky to have dial up. They don't even have cable because the cable companies are in the cities and they might live 20 miles outside of a city and don't have cable.

It's cool that they're doing net distribution, but i do think that they - and others - are ignoring a huge chunk of this country that simply doesn't have the ability to view thier product.

I already know that i'm gonna have to get someone to send me cd's of it unless i feel like making a weekly trip to panera to snurch thier free highspeed
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

This thread has always somewhat combined the "AT Thunk" notion and the "Sam Carter Appreciation" notion - its title notwithstanding - we've agreed on more than one occasion (as a group) that keeping us one unit and allowing Amanda Tapping (professional/career) discussion in addition to Sam Carter character discussion would be beneficial to us as a group. I (personally) really enjoy this format. I'm not much for tracking down a bunch of different threads to discuss variations on a very similar theme. Which is why I love the relatively free Amanda Career/Sam Carter format this thread has historically taken since I've known it.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

For me, I love the fact that often our discussions springboard into things about life, not just Sam or AT. If it was only Sam, I might lose interest as well.

A forum is public discussion area. Why do we like Sam as a character? Because she may represent something we admire in real life. Similarly, we may not like something about Sam or how she is written because it is not something we respect or it does not seem real. I like discussing episodes since it enriches my viewing of the episodes, like discussing a book enriches my reading, but I also like a little freedom to discuss other things.

I am impressed with the creativity, humor, and intelligence here, it is a fun place to play. And a kind place to play. I’d hate for it to change too much…

I hope the thread can continue discussing Sam, AT, as well as other, related topics. Then, directly or indirectly, we end up discussing life.

For the mods, off topic stuff may be difficult, since they have to keep other threads on topic, and I do not want to make it hard on them, so just let us know.

And Sky, I never thought of high speed internet accessibility problems, what a drag. I live in a semi-rural area, but luckily I can get high speed through the phone line.
        Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
        Quint Studer

Comment

the Sanctuary Website Works!
          It Works, Go Check It Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          : Now you, you I would listen to if you were reading a phonebook.
          Geeky : Oh brother...
          : See I love this whole sexy librarian thing...

Supporting Samantha Carter as leader of Atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
            Don't want that - we discuss loads of AT-related stuff here, not just the character of Sam Carter. But if we're discussing Sanctuary here instead of on a separate thread, that could in theory be about everything to do with Sanctuary (not just the character AT plays). That's why I said I'd prefer for the "bulk" of it to be in its own thread (which already exists). If it's AT-specific that's one thing, but for example a lot of speculation about
            Spoiler:
            Jack the Ripper
            is going to turn me off if it's in this thread.
            This is pretty much where I stand, too. If it's related to AT's performance in Sanctuary, I'm okay with it being here. But discussing unrelated Sanctuary stuff should probably go elsewhere.

We've periodically wrestled with things on the thread... are we too negative, too positive, too much this or that, but eventually we seem to manage to find a balance. Hopefully we can do that with Sanctuary, too.

I don't have enough time to follow the threads to which I'm already subscribed, and I'd hate to miss good discussion about AT because it was banned to a Sanctuary thread.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              Things always get a bit rocky during long haitus'. It's hard to talk about a show that you can't see or that half of us can't watch. I may be in teh same boat with sanctuary.

I actually have a beef about all this 'distributed via the net' stuff. They're making the HUGE assumption that everyone has and has access to high speed.

A good chunk of this country is rural. They're lucky to have dial up. They don't even have cable because the cable companies are in the cities and they might live 20 miles outside of a city and don't have cable.

It's cool that they're doing net distribution, but i do think that they - and others - are ignoring a huge chunk of this country that simply doesn't have the ability to view thier product.

I already know that i'm gonna have to get someone to send me cd's of it unless i feel like making a weekly trip to panera to snurch thier free highspeed
              That may be true, but it also takes a great deal of time, patience and money to get a show picked up by television networks these days. ALso most big networks won't give even a good show the time it truly needs to grab hold of a fan base and when it is distributed there is no guarantee when it will be viewed in different countries and it tends to be downloaded over the internet anyway, so in my opinion taking Sanctuary into a new direction by showing it first on the internet gives the producers a great deal of control over the show. It's a bold move. More than likely, if it does well, they will either sell the show in DVD format or they will sell previously scene episodes on places like Itunes where people can download it. I know it sucks for people who have dial-up, but it's no worse than if the show was only aired in Canada or the UK. Those of us who don't live in those countries may never have been given an opportunity to see it at all, unless we did so illegally. So I think overall, they are trying to give everyone the best opportunity possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

The hope is that the software drives the hardware demand, availability and take-up.
                scarimor

Comment

Did you guys check it out yet!? it's finally open. I'm so happy!!!!
                  it all looks so cool!!

Comment

Just posting my 2 cents for what it's worth.

While this is technically a thread about Sam, we do call ourselves Samandans, which to me, incorporates whatever Amanda does. That being the case, discussing Sanctuary in regards to AT's participation/character etc is fine. If I decide not to watch and don't care to discuss it, I'll just skip on past it like I do when the topic doesn't interest me. It's really no big deal.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamCarterFan View Post
                      the Sanctuary Website Works!
                      It Works, Go Check It Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Your post reminds me of Frankenstein ... Look! It's moving. It's alive. It's alive... alive, it's alive, IT'S ALIIIIVE!!!! lol

Comment

Don't mind me while I ponder on something:
                        Have you ever had the feeling like you're being followed, but are not sure?

Spoiler:
                        Originally Posted by NearlyCircular

21-Aug Mandysg1
                        22-Aug GateGirl422
                        Originally posted by GateGirl422 View Post
                        Mandy, your birthday is the [I]day[/I before mine!
                        ... I was actually due on the 21st though... I have come to the conclusion that I delayed myself deliberately...

Spoiler:

It might have been just too much

Well now I think that explains a lot
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Did you guys check it out yet!? it's finally open. I'm so happy!!!!
                          it all looks so cool!!
                          Yeah I saw it. They are definitely wetting our appetites very slowly, aren't they?

Just curious but did anyone else get a Xena vibe from the musical score?

Hopefully, Amanda's live chat this friday will give us some more insight on the new series as well as her role on Atlantis and the Monologues she will be involved with next month!! Yippee!!

A LIVE CHAT WITH AMANDA!!

I'm not excited. Really.

If you have any deep and meaningful questions that you'd like to ask Amanda then hurry because the deadline to submit questions is the 15th! Now, do I want to ask about Stargate? or Atlantis? or Sanctuary? Or the Monologues? Or any upcoming conventions? Or ?!?! Wow, so many topics to discuss right now.
                          Last edited by ForeverSg1; 12 February 2007, 08:06 AM.

Comment

I know I'm sorry!
                            I was just so excited that it works, and I didn't see it anywhere on this thread so I figured no one knew yet. So I screamed from the top of my lungs... did you hear me!? that's how excited I was.
                            Oh and the music kinda reminds me of the music from Evanescence. real gothic and all.

Comment

I know I'm sorry!
                              I was just so excited that it works, and I didn't see it anywhere on this thread so I figured no one knew yet. So I screamed from the top of my lungs... did you hear me!? that's how excited I was.
                              Oh and the music kinda reminds me of the music from Evanescence. real gothic and all.
                              I thought it was great (your post and your excitement!). And the music is very gothic with a bit of a Celtic flavour thrown in. Very dark and mysterious.

Comment

It doesn't all fit on my screen. Wonder if that means I need a bigger monitor?

Other than that though, it looks very cool.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X