X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stargate barbie View Post
    regarding the speculation on Sanctuary;
    Spoiler:

i'm guessing since amanda is originally from essex, and jack the ripper was from that general area too, that her accent in sanctuary will probably be an
    east london one.
    I'm not an expert on English accents, but isn't it likely her accent would be what is called "Received Prounounciation"? Given the details we know, I assume that she, and her family, are educated and upper-middle or upper class.

Spoiler:
    although i'd say the accent may be slightly diluted if the show is set in the present, and in america. maybe it'll be a highlander (and buffy) type thing where she's got a london accent in flashbacks and a more american (or even canadian) or mixed american/london accent in the present.
    As you say, the setting of the episodes themselves and the events of her past century of life could influence things.

Spoiler:
    i'm still curious as to if its going to be streaming video (which it sounds like it will be) or downloadable.
    I was hoping it was going to be a download, but she did mention streaming. The question then is: Nice and simple like YouTube or a mess like SCI FI Pulse? What kind of quality?

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post

Spoiler:
    Alternatively, it could be the angle that it was one demon trying to spawn many others in London and Jack was going on a killing spree to stop this. No good vs evil element in there, but is the show really brave enough to portray such a notorious criminal as a "misunderstood" being? It's one thing declaring the Wicked Witch misunderstood, but a notorious, real life criminal is another thing entirely.
    Babylon 5 had an interesting take on Jack, and I hope Sanctuary also does something creative (and possibly 'grey') without downplaying the violence of the actual crimes.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
      Well I don't think NZBG specified a "good" movie.
      LOL.
      I liked the movie the first time I watched it but when I tried to watch it again I fell asleep.
      That being said, Amanda was amazing in it and so different from Sam it was incredible to see.

Oooh and RepliCarterje - I'm so considering writing that Sam Atlantis fic now.

Wendy
      Hugs
      sigpic
      Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
        Well I don't think NZBG specified a "good" movie.
        True
        I think this has to be in then...maybe also "Engaged to kill" also not a great movie but Amanda pulls out a gun and in what kind of way Of course it isn't scifi or anything... And maybe the geeks will not appreciate that kind of movie...but it still has Amanda in it

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
        LOL.
        I liked the movie the first time I watched it but when I tried to watch it again I fell asleep.
        That being said, Amanda was amazing in it and so different from Sam it was incredible to see.

Oooh and RepliCarterje - I'm so considering writing that Sam Atlantis fic now.

Wendy
        Hugs
        Did the same thing...first time when I watched it...It really was ok...Amanda was great in it...but second time I fell asleep too lol...but then again Amanda has such a relaxing voice to fall alseep with...

And Wendy...I so going to start stalking you for that fic Cause I would love to read such a fic...So start writing

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post

Did the same thing...first time when I watched it...It really was ok...Amanda was great in it...but second time I fell asleep too lol...but then again Amanda has such a relaxing voice to fall alseep with...

And Wendy...I so going to start stalking you for that fic Cause I would love to read such a fic...So start writing
          I try not to fall asleep to anything with Amanda in it, but I couldn't help it. Next thing I knew my Dad is shaking my arm to wake me up. LOL. You're right, it must be the relaxing voice.

Oi! Another stalker Oh well, it's a good job I'm seriously gonna write it then.

Wendy
          Hugs
          sigpic
          Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
            I try not to fall asleep to anything with Amanda in it, but I couldn't help it. Next thing I knew my Dad is shaking my arm to wake me up. LOL. You're right, it must be the relaxing voice.

Oi! Another stalker Oh well, it's a good job I'm seriously gonna write it then.

Wendy
            Hugs
            Well actually I have a strange habbit of falling asleep with a Sam centric ep every day...Cause it just relaxes me a lot and makes me fall asleep faster...I really think it is cause of Amanda her voice...I think that makes me relax or that is what I think anyway
            She really has a great voice if you ask me although I like her voice in interviews more...That Canadian accent of her is so great...
            I still don't get it how Gate Gal and Chelle can't hear that of her...Really gals listen to her...you will hear it

Yay on writing that fic...looking forward to it

Comment

Well actually I have a strange habbit of falling asleep with a Sam centric ep every day...Cause it just relaxes me a lot and makes me fall asleep faster...I really think it is cause of Amanda her voice...I think that makes me relax or that is what I think anyway
              She really has a great voice if you ask me although I like her voice in interviews more...That Canadian accent of her is so great...
              I still don't get it how Gate Gal and Chelle can't hear that of her...Really gals listen to her...you will hear it

I've definitely noticed a different accent from SG-1/Movies to interviews and in-person. I think she certainly has a Canadian accent and surely she should. My take on that is based on that nobody hears their own accent so; my friends who live in the South of England, all tell me I have a really Northern accent, which as far as I'm concerned I don't and they're the ones that have accents.

So Canadians probably can't hear Amanda's accent either. When I went to Avalon I was amazed at how Canadian and American she and RDA sounded. I'm sure they thought the same as me.

When I write it I will post the link here for you guys to read it.

Wendy
              Hugs
              sigpic
              Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
                I think Sally was comparing smoking to drinking alcohol. Smoking and getting behind the wheel of a car doesn't kill anyone, drinking and doing the same very easily can because the driver is "disabled".
                actually, inattentive driving is just as dangerous - if not more so- than drunk driving, simply because there are more of them. How many of you ahve seen the folks driving poorly while htey're on the phone, eating, drinking, chatting, messing iwth the radio, etc.

I can't drive anywhere without seeing some driver do something stupid because they're too busy multitasking to drive correctly and safely.

They are a worse menace than the drunks

as to at's accent...you can really hear the canadian in her o's. such as the beginning of Frosaken, when they stick their heads in the ship and sam goes 'hellloooo'

I'm thinking her brit accent will be a lot like the one she played with at Avalon and AT2, just a bit of one wiht a few words accented. She will - i'm guessing - have been in the states for a few decades and lost a good chunk of it
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Funniest thing is - it feels like her accent has grown more Canadian with the years. I'm currently watching both season 10 and previous seasons with my newly half-addicted flatmates, adn in season 10 her accent sounds so much more Canadian than it did in seasons 4/5...
                  Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                  Yes, I am!
                  sigpic
                  Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                  Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                  Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal View Post
                    Babylon 5 had an interesting take on Jack, and I hope Sanctuary also does something creative (and possibly 'grey') without downplaying the violence of the actual crimes.
                    Way OT, but that was an awesome B5 episode: It's not the messiah who is glorified for eternity who makes the greatest sacrifice. It's he or she who dies not for the many, but for the one... in the dark.
                    scarimor

Comment

True
                      I think this has to be in then...maybe also "Engaged to kill" also not a great movie but Amanda pulls out a gun and in what kind of way Of course it isn't scifi or anything... And maybe the geeks will not appreciate that kind of movie...but it still has Amanda in it
                      While "The Void' is not the best movie out there, it's pretty solid. On the other hand, I have put "Engaged to Kill" on my worst movies I've ever seen list. None of the actors, Amanda included, stood a prayer of a chance of rising above the dreck that masquerated as a script. It still makes me shudder to remember Amanda's character's disarming the victim before turning her attention to the perpetrator.
                      sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                      May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                        While "The Void' is not the best movie out there, it's pretty solid. On the other hand, I have put "Engaged to Kill" on my worst movies I've ever seen list. None of the actors, Amanda included, stood a prayer of a chance of rising above the dreck that masquerated as a script. It still makes me shudder to remember Amanda's character's disarming the victim before turning her attention to the perpetrator.
                        I've not seen Engaged To Kill but your above comments doesn't exactly make me want to either. The worst thing about any kind of movie/tv series/stage show is poor scripts. I started to get so mad I have to switch the thing off. If the script isn't any good then...

I'm sure Amanda tried her best though, I have no doubt about that at all.

Wendy
                        Hugs
                        sigpic
                        Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Calling all writers of the Samanda fic

There is a discussion going on about the story that needs your input
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                            Ahh (((mini)))

but I expected a squeeing excited geek, jumping up and down because she is going to see Amanda in the Vagina Monologues

or is that just me
                            Oh yes, I'm very excited. So see Starrgazer, also. I'm meeting up with her for SUSHI tonight in a couple hours (mmmm sushiii!), should be fun.

I was thinking the other day, however, that if Amanda is in any of the "orgasm" monologues, we're probably not going to want to tell AD or Scari or Tracy, et al... lest we all drown in drool. It'd give new meaning to that "Get Off" placard Amanda was given on stage at AT2! LOL

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

I hope sanctuary also has a lot of angsty scenes in them. Hopefully a lot of Helen(sam)-whumping. And then she kicks ass all kungfu style... or something. those kind of shows usually have al lot of whumping in them right? I mean look at Buffy for instance...
                              : Now you, you I would listen to if you were reading a phonebook.
                              Geeky : Oh brother...
                              : See I love this whole sexy librarian thing...

Supporting Samantha Carter as leader of Atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                actually, inattentive driving is just as dangerous - if not more so- than drunk driving, simply because there are more of them. How many of you ahve seen the folks driving poorly while htey're on the phone, eating, drinking, chatting, messing iwth the radio, etc.

I can't drive anywhere without seeing some driver do something stupid because they're too busy multitasking to drive correctly and safely.

They are a worse menace than the drunks

as to at's accent...you can really hear the canadian in her o's. such as the beginning of Frosaken, when they stick their heads in the ship and sam goes 'hellloooo'

I'm thinking her brit accent will be a lot like the one she played with at Avalon and AT2, just a bit of one wiht a few words accented. She will - i'm guessing - have been in the states for a few decades and lost a good chunk of it
                                There are some words she'll say that really stick out to me. For the most part though, Sam doesn't have an accent, at least to me. Same with AT. In her interviews I don't really notice an accent, but everyone else does, so is there something wrong with me?

Comment

Working...
                                X