No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiya. Got a question for all my obsessive brainy Samandans.

I'm currently writing Chapter Nineteen of Shattered (yes, I'm getting back on track with it. I've beaten the muse into submission! Kinda) and I've got a bit where one character is looking into the night sky.

There was once a quote where Jack was looking at the stars, asking how many they had visited. Sam made a "technically, Sir..." type comment.

Can anyone remember the quote and the episode?

Please, please, pretty please with blue jelly on top!
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post

I'm currently writing Chapter Nineteen of Shattered (yes, I'm getting back on track with it. I've beaten the muse into submission! Kinda) and I've got a bit where one character is looking into the night sky.

There was once a quote where Jack was looking at the stars, asking how many they had visited. Sam made a "technically, Sir..." type comment.

It's about 40 minutes into Lost City. Don't own that DVD or I'd get you the exact quote.

EDIT: Did you know SG-1 looks and sounds real good on a PSP. But I'm not obsessed.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
        It's about 40 minutes into Lost City. Don't own that DVD or I'd get you the exact quote.

EDIT: Did you know SG-1 looks and sounds real good on a PSP. But I'm not obsessed.
        Oooooh, thank you!

I've found the quote. It's later on in the series than I would have hoped, given that Shattered is set season 4/5 ish. But I can work it in

You genius, you!

Comment

Samandans, have you come out of the wormhole closet?! Do your friends and family know about your (choose one):

a) strong interest in
          b) obsession with
          c) devotion to
          d) willingness to travel great distances for
          e) all of the above

Stargate SG1 and all things Amanda

How did you break the news to the outer world? Or, are you still hiding your Stargate magazines under your bed? Stashing your boxed sets of DVDs in back of your husband's video library?

Come out, come out wherever you are ... fellow Samandans, how did you first get hooked on the show and especially Sam Carter? How long have you been watching? Have you ever attended a con? Whose autographs have you managed to get? What do you plan to do once Season 10 comes to an end?
          I would say e) All of the above, how did I break the news: I told anyone who would listen, that I'd found this really cool show called Stargate SG-1 with great characters skyone were doing reruns that's when I first saw it, I would hurry home from college to watch every day, that was about 2 years ago.
          How did I get hooked on Sam especially? Well it kinda suck up on me, before I knew it I was looking forward to seeing Sam more than any other character, and then started asking for the box sets for presents at birthdays and Christmas.

I was lucky enough to be at AT2 to meet Amanda and get her autograph and my photo taken with her
          SG-1 and Sam/Amanda especially have helped me through some hard emotional times over the last few years(which I wont go in to) but AT/SC/SG and over the last few months all of you have given me the family I never had. *oh dear sorry getting emotional now really sorry* so yeah it will be really hard for me when it end it will be like part of my family, but I'll still have DVDs and GW, hopefully we'll get to see Amanda in other things she's my hero
          sorry for the long post.

Julia(samcarterrules)
          sigpic
          Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
            DEVIANT!!! *sticks tongue out petulantly* It's all a part of the Samanda lurve.They both have great eyes.

Hey...is it just me...or has anyone else noticed how much Amanda and Sam look alike?

Anyone? Anyone???
            Hmmm, I'm with Paradox. I just don't see it.....well, maybe in the eyes....and the smile....and they kindof have the same hair coloring....they are about the same height.....HEY, THEY DO LOOK ALIKE.....YOU DON'T THINK THEY ARE REALLY THE SAME PERSON DO YOU?????

My name is Gate Gal and I am pretty sure my SG1 addiction has made me a bit nutters, but I'm o.k. with that!

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
              I was laying in bed thinking about these posts I and had to get this off my mind.
              I think that Amanda would expect to see a swarm of sympathies and condolences from her fans who are also in shock and hurting. It does help to open up and let out your feelings instead of keeping them bottled up. It does help to cry. The thing is this. By the time Amanda has the time to read here, there will be pages of posts and days ahead of the incident which would leave her the choice of viewing what was said on that particular day. I'm putting myself in her place. Personally I think she may be a bit hurt if she goes back and sees very few condolences from fans. As far as privacy, she unbelievably posted on-line herself about the ordeal. She wanted to share with us what happened so unless we hear specifically that she doesn't want us to share in her grief and offer support, I think folks should feel free to announce their feelings. I for one, know it helps me to release and vice versa, seeing all the support and caring shown towards me helps enormously and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for the support I've been shown here and off-line.
              Originally posted by chelle db View Post
              Wow...I didn't think of it like that...you have made a valid point...it's difficult to know where o draw the line in these situations...of course no one wants to intrude in Amanda's private pain but on the other hand we all want to let her know that we are thinking of her and her family at this time...it's tuff...great post Poz...how are you feeling btw?
              I agree with what Poz is saying.

I think it all boils down to balance.

While we don't want Samanda turned into a kingdom of the morose, I think it is extremely important, nay necessary, to express our feelings of love and support for Amanda and her family.

Like Poz said, she did announce it publically. Granted, she didn't have much choice as the story was leaked by someone else...but she did publically confirm the story, knowing that we would want to support her.

We'd want to express our love and our condolences...and she'd need to read them. I hope that doesn't sound too presumptuous to suggest, but it's how I feel. Now if Amanda had said in her correspondence to please not say anything, this would not even be a topic for discussion. But we know because she's said it many, many times that she reads what her fans post, both here and elsewhere, and garners support and encouragement and strength from them.

So why would this situation be any different? Would she not continue to be strengthened and comforted by our thoughts and feelings?

Now I hope people don't read this as suggesting that we are her sole lifeline during this time. She's blessed with a loving family and has an incredible support system in her very tightly close knit Tapping clan.

At the same time, however, she has us. Just as we are encouraged and energized by her presence...by her simply being her, I believe strongly that she feels the same way about us.

As for her privacy...we all respect it. More than that...we all protect it viciously. But I don't think privacy is the issue here because she knows that at our core, we have her best interests at heart and would never betray the relationship by exposing inappropriate personal content. We'd never cross that line and I'm confident we never would. I'm just as confident that Amanda knows this about us.

She knows she can come here and be safe among friends who love and support her. And like Poz said, how would she feel if she came here and didn't see any support? If we stop sharing our feelings and condolences because of a well-meaning but I believe in my heart misplaced desire to protect Amanda, it could do her and us more harm than good.

But like I said at the beginning of this long and rambling post, I think the core issue is balance. I think it's appropriate to express ourselves in a dignified and respectful manner...but not to convert the thread to only discuss this one issue.

We still need to continue on talking about other things. We still need to play and share with each other. I need to know how Poz is doing. I need to see the "caption me" pictures. I need scarimor to tell me what the heck she saw in the white witch of Narnia to make her stand out as a hero and bring it out as one of her secrets.

So...my humble suggestion is that we continue to be Samanda and do our silly Samanda things while still letting people give Amanda their love and support. That way, Samanda is neither mired in sadness nor ignoring it, giving us a means to share our love and support for Amanda and giving her a chance to be strengthened and encouraged by our sincere and respectful feelings, and buoyed by our love.

*re-reads the above for clarity*

"Buoyed by our love." Dude...I'm waxing poetic today.
              Last edited by Uber; 27 December 2006, 12:47 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post

Actually Trace, I think that's from Lost City 1. Sam visits Jack and he tells her that he was looking up at the stars wondering how many they've been to...and Sam tells him that actually, only a few of the stars visible from earth have stargates on them.

Would that be what you're asking about?

Then he asks why she's there and she tells him the "funny" story. She's so cute when she's flustered.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
                  Hmmm, I'm with Paradox. I just don't see it.....well, maybe in the eyes....and the smile....and they kindof have the same hair coloring....they are about the same height.....HEY, THEY DO LOOK ALIKE.....YOU DON'T THINK THEY ARE REALLY THE SAME PERSON DO YOU?????

My name is Gate Gal and I am pretty sure my SG1 addiction has made me a bit nutters, but I'm o.k. with that!
                  You're our kind of nutter.

That's all that counts.

Comment

Actually Trace, I think that's from Lost City 1. Sam visits Jack and he tells her that he was looking up at the stars wondering how many they've been to...and Sam tells him that actually, only a few of the stars visible from earth have stargates on them.

Would that be what you're asking about?

Then he asks why she's there and she tells him the "funny" story. She's so cute when she's flustered.
                    That's the one, as Jennifer already said. I was hoping it was something like Hundred Days or whatever. But never mind. I can work this out

Thank you

Comment

Personally I think she's perfect;

Beautiful
                      Fighter
                      Funny
                      Genius

Originally posted by G.B Shaw
                      Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.
                      Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.
                      Criminals do not die by the hands of the law. They die by the hands of other men.
                      You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
                      Americans adore me and will go on adoring me until I say something nice about them.
                      One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven't and don't.
                      You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
                      The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed but that he cannot believe anyone else.
                      www.7-scales.co.uk
                      http://twitter.com/7Scales

Comment

oh ooober,

I didn't think about it like that, I would hate it if Amanda saw nothing and thought that we didn't care because I know its totally the opposite, but nobody wants to hurt her, I just wish I could hug her and tell we all love her next bits in spoilers in case.

Spoiler:

When I read the news I cried and when I was praying for Amanda and her family I cried again and when I think of the pain The Tapping Family are going though its hard. Am I nuts? I feel so helpless right now knowing Amanda is hurting and I can't help, I feel kinda stupid saying this, its not like I know Amanda and her family but why do I feel so sad?

Julia(samcarterrules)
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

You're our kind of nutter.

That's all that counts.
                          Ahhhh ****feels all warm and fuzzy inside****

Actually, Oooober, I think your post put it best. The key is balance. Balance and maybe spoilers, too. Then she has a choice. It isn't just there. Spoilers (and a warning about what is inside) would be a nice way to go. Also, we don't know how many of her family members lurk in Samanda. They might prefer spoiler tags as well.

Comment

She knows she can come here and be safe among friends who love and support her. And like Poz said, how would she feel if she came here and didn't see any support?
                            I doubt there's any chance of that. The love oozes out of every post, barely contained. Everyone is trying very hard to tread the fine line of being supportive without being intrusive. It's difficult. And those of us who have lost close family members have an even harder time containing ourselves.
                            A little poster of support for Amanda...
                            Spoiler:
                            sigpic

Comment

Wow...it's so slow here! You'd think it was a holiday or something.

What to do...what to do. Oh I know. How about a game? Completely OT but what the hey...IT'S CHRISTMAS!

The game is called Confess Away! You need to confess something about yourself that very people know about. The only rule to this game is that the confession is to be something silly and by all means...PG rated.

My confession? I LOVE Spongebob Squarepants and Fairly Oddparents. Oh yes...I get giddy when I see that little yellow sponge from Bikini Bottom and his zany antics...and can't supress my child-like giggle when I watch Timmy with his fairy godparents Cosmo and Wanda and their zany antics.

What can I say? I like zany antics! I know...this is a stark contrast to the person who enjoys dark movies and whumpage, etc. But that just means I'm multi-dimensional.

Either that or I'm a certified loon.

So...what's yours?
                              Okay, I'll play. I absolutely adore Calvin & Hobbes. Makes me laugh out loud.
                              And Loony Toons is the absolute best.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                                I doubt there's any chance of that. The love oozes out of every post, barely contained. Everyone is trying very hard to tread the fine line of being supportive without being intrusive. It's difficult. And those of us who have lost close family members have an even harder time containing ourselves.
                                A little poster of support for Amanda...
                                Spoiler:
                                I agree. I i noticed that when we tried to put a halt to our posts on the topic, Samanda stalled for a bit. Why? Because being supportive is a part of our nature.

It happens so naturally for us it's like breathing. But as long as we maintain the balance and are respectful to her feelings as well as continuing our fun fandom stuff, I think we'll serve our core mission of supporting/respecting Amanda quite well.

Comment

Working...
                                X