Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    sometime after the first of the year

Ok, folks, has everyone sent Kamil a greeting for amanda????

everyone other than me that is. I k eep forgetting

Indeed I have, Skydiver. I was most pleased to do so.

(That was me doing 'Teal'c'. How'd I do? Could hardly tell us apart, could you?)

Comment

Originally posted by keshou View Post
      I guess I still don't see Sam as a lead character on the show. Lead character in certain episodes? Yes. But overall a lead character? No. Same with Daniel and Teal'c. And to me Jack is the character that kept the show together. The others could carry an episode or two but I'm not sure they could carry a whole season on their backs - at least not the way RDA/Jack could. Now as part of an ensemble I think they're all excellent. And the later seasons (sans RDA) feel more like an ensemble-driven show.

Could Sam serve as a lead character and carry a spinoff? With the right concept and supporting characters I think she could but I just didn't see her character being structured to be a lead character within the confines of SG-1. Especially when they barely troubled themselves to show her leading SG-1 in S8.

But I readily admit I don't tend to be focused on one character as my favorite - except Jack will always be my TV boyfriend of course. And it seems like some of the people who really adore certain characters are always jumping up and down trying to prove they're "leads" or the most important or whatever. Guess that's just part of the old fandom wank.
      You too huh? Dang, the man gets around.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435 View Post
        You too huh? Dang, the man gets around.
        And people wonder why he left. The man is TIRED. TIRED I tell you from all us demanding TV girlfriends.
        sigpic
        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
          And people wonder why he left. The man is TIRED. TIRED I tell you from all us demanding TV girlfriends.
          Or just REALLY happy.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
            Originally posted by Skydiver
            IIRC, the 'worst' comment was about half way through s6 and MS was rather...blunt about it. I believe that he had issue with sam getting all these super powers, didn't like it, thought it was bad....and then wondered how come daniel couldn't get the same
            So it was okay for Daniel to get superpowers but not Sam
            The art of paraphrasing is alive and...

well...

Sorry chaps, I know this isn't my hangout, but given the fact that criticism of Amanda and Sam gets the perpetrators called names (jealous, freaky, weirdos - I've no idea who specifically is being referred to here, and I s'pose that if it's so vague that no specific individuals can be fingered there's no reason to pull in the No Namecalling rule) is it 'on' to start on MS?

I just feel that if an actor - ANY actor - is bashable, he or she should also be defendable. And I can't defend him without taking this thread off-topic...
            Last edited by Madeleine; 16 December 2006, 09:39 PM.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
              I'm going to have to agree with you. Also, didn't they give her the very last episode to direct, too? It seems like they were pushing it kinda close if the opportunity to direct an episode was in her contract. It's entirely possible that they treated MS' opportunity to write an episode the same way - waited until the last minute, and then had no choice but to have her essentially direct herself, because it wasn't at the top of their list of priorities...
              It's all very odd, how TPTB have let things happen:

AT & MS both asked to direct in s2 or s3 - I only know that it was at the same time. They eventually said yes to him, and gave him an episode named 'Prodigy' which had no Daniel. Then switched at the last minute to give him 'Double Jeopardy' with its masses of complex SFX. AT quite reasonably expected that since MS's turn had come in s4 hers would be in early s5. From what I gather, it wasn't lack of enthusiasm on her part that made it take an extra three years...

And what's with giving her a script from a first time writer anyway?

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post

AT & MS both asked to direct in s2 or s3 - I only know that it was at the same time. They eventually said yes to him, and gave him an episode named 'Prodigy' which had no Daniel. Then switched at the last minute to give him 'Double Jeopardy' with its masses of complex SFX. AT quite reasonably expected that since MS's turn had come in s4 hers would be in early s5. From what I gather, it wasn't lack of enthusiasm on her part that made it take an extra three years...

And that is why I am so excited about Amanda's new project! It isn't even off the ground yet and the boss made HER an EP! She is obviously going to be appreciated on the new set and she deserves it!

Come on, is it any wonder that she believes the negative press? Look how the B@B have treated her. I know the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and Amanda is too much of a team player to squeak but...

Comment

No bashing intended or anything here, but I didn't think that Double Jeopardy came out very well. I have to wonder if the reason for the long delay had something to do with the producers not willing to have another potentially sub-standard episode from a first time director.

Was the actual script for Ressurection written by MS or did he just come up with the story?

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                    It's especially fun to watch them argue that Daniel is really the second in command - or that Sam is responsible for Janet's death.

Hypothetically speaking, if Daniel had been the one to get shot in battle while Jack made himself useful making a home movie (instead of watching Janet's back while she worked) and Sam didn't "abandon" her post to help him, choosing instead to leave him lying out in the open, unprotected, where a second shot killed him, how long do you think it would have taken them to call for Sam's court-martial and/or crucifixion?
                    My personal favourite is the one in which Sam should be court-martialed for leaving whatisname behind in 2001. I've read some really funny re-writes of the ending of that episode - when Sam cuts the rope suspending her over the gate to fall through and stop the Aschen's big bomb from falling through to destroy Earth. One comic re-wrote it to omit the last two lines of dialogue just to make it look like whatsisname was "waiting for Sam to tell him what to do". You know, the part where she calls up to him urgently to follow her down "Now!", and he's grabbed by the Aschen, and they both realise that he won't make it, and he shouts down at her "Go!" Ho ho.

And someone else argued that it took her a minimum of 180 secs to cut the rope, and it would've been "quicker" to untie herself from it instead so that he could climb down it afterwards... (no, don't even try to fathom that one ).

The art of paraphrasing is alive and...

well...

Sorry chaps, I know this isn't my hangout, but given the fact that criticism of Amanda and Sam gets the perpetrators called names (jealous, freaky, weirdos - I've no idea who specifically is being referred to here, and I s'pose that if it's so vague that no specific individuals can be fingered there's no reason to pull in the No Namecalling rule) is it 'on' to start on MS?
                    AFAIK, they're not on GW. But you're not comparing like with like. I haven't seen any fans of Sam/AT (or anyone else) re-write episodes in their posts to diss Daniel (I'm not talking about interpretation - I mean really re-write the action and dialogue). Don't you think that's weird? Really weird? To dislike a character - hate a character so much - that they spend so much time and effort on it. I think most people who don't care for a character/actor will just not focus on them. I'm not that struck on Jack O'Neill (note: the character, not the actor) so I just don't talk about Jack O'Neill much, if ever.

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                    And I'm in agreement with Sally, I've always viewed Stargate as an ensemble show, with RDA as the lead and AT, MS and CJ as first amongst equals after him. That was the other thing which attracted me to the show, good ensemble cast. Along with a strong female character (I'd been into B5 and DS9 before Stargate, Sam was in there with Suzanne Ivanova, Jadzia Dax and Kira Nerys as a believable and interesting woman who was more than a stereotype or just the love interest)

FF
                    What the frosty one said. Those female characters were the hook for me in B5 and DS9 (Talia Winters I liked too) and Sam did exactly the same thing for SG-1 for me. Then she proceeded to exceed them in my favours

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    however, notice how i drag this back on topic, Amanda is very skilled at giving good interviews. She takes time to think out her answers and word them in a professional manner.
                    Very nicely done

PS - this non-shipper thinks that's a very nice festive Sam&Jack pic up there, SG-1fanintn.
                    Last edited by scarimor; 16 December 2006, 11:30 PM.
                    scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                      No bashing intended or anything here, but I didn't think that Double Jeopardy came out very well. I have to wonder if the reason for the long delay had something to do with the producers not willing to have another potentially sub-standard episode from a first time director.
                      I thought Double Jeopardy was amazing. I don't think it was generally considered 'substandard' at the time. I think TPTB's delay is more likely to be connected with the reason for the general lack of female writing and directing talent on the show

Was the actual script for Ressurection written by MS or did he just come up with the story?
                      Other way round. He came up with a (non-NID) story he wanted to write, was given a different one (with the NID) and told to write that instead

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
                        AFAIK, they're not on GW. But you're not comparing like with like. I haven't seen any fans of Sam/AT (or anyone else) re-write episodes in their posts to diss Daniel (I'm not talking about interpretation - I mean really re-write the action and dialogue). Don't you think that's weird? Really weird?
                        Seriously? Corblimey. Wow. I wouldn't actually use the word 'weirdo' myself, but I agree that it's... odd and beyond my comprehension.

But now I really am offtopic, so:

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
                        Originally posted by frostfox
                        Sam was in there with Suzanne Ivanova
                        What the frosty one said. Those female characters were the hook for me in B5 and DS9 (Talia Winters I liked too) and Sam did exactly the same thing for SG-1 for me. Then she proceeded to exceed them in my favours
                        The first ep I saw was the S1 cliffhanger. There was a woman in it who bit her boss. I remember thinking how impressed Ivanova would have been with that woman
                        Last edited by Madeleine; 16 December 2006, 11:43 PM.

Madeleine

Comment

The first ep I saw was the S1 cliffhanger. There was a woman in it who bit her boss. I remember thinking how impressed Ivanova would have been with that woman
                          LOL! Yes, that was an awesome moment
                          scarimor

Comment

I thought Double Jeopardy was amazing. I don't think it was generally considered 'substandard' at the time.
                            Oh lol, I thought the episode had all sorts of problems. Like that supposed arc with the goa'uld woman and Cronus, the ending..., the humour felt out of place, as well as being an unfitting end to the robots imo (they are robots after all... they can't be repaired?). Different pov's I suppose. But it could explain why it was so long before AT was able to get a shot at directing (and why MS hasn't since). Again, no dissing MS, but I could understand why the producers would much prefer to go with experienced directors.

Comment

I know that she hasn’t posted for a while, but just in case she’s lurking -

NC

Comment

fic:

Some pretty good 'Five Things' fic: here - 'Five things Sam really liked about being a military brat'. I especially like the one by beanpot.

Also by beanpot: Underoos Are Evil. Sam and Wonder Woman Underoos. lol

From the dark_gate LJ ficathon: Grey Between, by Rowan D. It's Sam/Cam and rated R for language and sexual references. Very good Sam voice in a post season 9 apocalypse

Comment

Working...
                                X