No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly Strix.. if you ignore the canon of the character then you're going out of character, however if intelligently written a writer should be able to please all sides of the equation

Originally posted by Strix varia
    That's because Sam/Jack undertones are canon. To write those two true to character, it's easy to let that in, even when writing gen or team stories.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
      i don't mind relationships, even (the) romatic one. its the "sam carter: who will she be paired with next?" and "sam carter: the other half of every couple" that annoy me. why can't she just interact with people like she's....i dunno? a person? it'd be nice...you know, just for a change.
      Exactly. I'm not saying I think Carter should be single and grow old alone (as a character, mind you). I am a shipper, at the end of the day, when it comes to Sam and Jack in an adult relationship (seriously, without tongue in cheek), what bakes my noodle is the flavor of the week or the constant potential, even, for Sam to end up 'paired off' because they "don't know what else to do with her" (you guys know the drill). If it were up to me, Sam and Jack would be together and that fact would be wallpaper - which would (at the very least) negate the whole "who's she gonna end up paired off with next?" scenario potential, and hopefully allow for some actual character/character friendship-interrelationship that doesn't consistently revolve around sexual potential. Some REAL character development and REAL character scenarios, beyond all that 'wallpaper sex stuff'.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

I think that was more because the construct of your story has Jack as a principle part of an equation (without giving too much away here) already TJ. His reactions have to be explained by something... but Strix is right, be true to the story you want to tell.

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
        Sorry guys, I was just using Shattered as an example of what Mandy was saying. I wasn't meaning to make it a huge discussion point, but thanks for all your help and advice My betas are great and wonderful, but they have both suggested Sam/Jack ending (independantly). And I guess Myrth wouldn't suggest it unless it were a good idea.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          Amen sistah!!

Where are all the Daniel/Teyla, Daniel/Hermiod, Jack/Weir, Jack/Teal'c, Teal'c/Istha, Vala/Lee, Vala/Siler, Mitchell/Hive Queen threads? Why is it that it's our Sam that's shipped with every Jack, Shep, and Cammy. I'm not sure if I should be offended or impressed that she's been shipped with just about every man, woman and alien in the galaxy.

Maybe it's because as much as a small, select group of fan may dislike Sam there is a very large fan base who really admire Sam a great deal and while Sam may not be their favorite character, they want to see their favorite characters involved with an ideal mate and that's our gal Sam.

I mean who can ask for anything more? She's drop-dead gorgeous whether she's dressed to the gills or caked in mud and camo paint. She's one of the most intelligent minds on the planets... a true national treasure. She flies planes, loves to ride her motocycle in her spare time and shoots pool like a pool shark. She's witty, caring, compassionate and extremely loyal; and she can do some major @$$ whoopin', if need be.

I mean what's not to love about Sam? Though I can totally understand the reasons behind her being shipped with just about anyone and everyone, I really wish more people would learn to love her for just being Sam and not the other half of a pairing.

Kat
          i actually take sam being shipped off so much as a compliment. (to me) it's because she's so gorgeous.

but a person that loves sam with another person doesn't mean that she/he doesn't enjoy sam out of that equation. like, example, me. and a LOT of other sam-shipper fans

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
            AT has the greatest laugh. One of my favorite things about her DVD commentaries is when she laughs. It's so contagious.
            i'd love to hear her laugh! does anyone have a copy of amanda laughing?

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Actually I think the tendency to "ship" characters could be because most shipping is our projection of our own desires on to the characters. Everyone has their own point of view and Sal's right, the fact Sam gets shipped every which way but loose is ultimately a testament to how attractive she is. We all want her in one way or another, or we're identifying with her and wanting the partner we're shipping her with

Originally posted by majorsal
              i actually take sam being shipped off so much as a compliment. (to me) it's because she's so gorgeous.

but a person that loves sam with another person doesn't mean that she/he doesn't enjoy sam out of that equation. like, example, me. and a LOT of other sam-shipper fans

sally
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                I think that was more because the construct of your story has Jack as a principle part of an equation (without giving too much away here) already TJ. His reactions have to be explained by something... but Strix is right, be true to the story you want to tell.

There's also a tendancy here (sometimes), in this thread, to label Sam/Jack ship as ... trite or maudlin. And (to be bluntly honest), I think sometimes that can color an author's willingness to allow anything beyond UST in order to stay "cool" rather than true to character. That's part of what I was trying to imply earlier, as well. If your betas are betas you trust and they're telling you you've written the story in such a way that it begs for a certain kind of twist or ending, then perhaps you need to look at what you were thinking when you were writing it. If you didn't mean for that to happen, you may want to go back and revise the parts where you head in that direction so the ending doesn't beg for a plot point you're not heading towards. If, on the other hand, you did write everything as you'd intended, and the real reason you're concerned is because you think writing 'ship into your ending will make you (or your story) less "cool" with the "cool people", then you may be opting for a cop out ending. You know what I'm sayin'? Go with what the story demands of you. Peer pressure works both ways. Let your story dictate its own outcome.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth

There is that undertone, yes. I was talking about the Sam/? ending we discussed, the epilogue to the story. I had always had ? in mind, and you suggested setting it in the future so that Jack was the other half and they reflect on it. I'm still undecided. But I really don't want to make it into Sam/Jack kissy kissy. Because that's not what it's about.

BTW: While I've caught you here, if you don't have time for all the chapters, could you just skim over the last chapter (samfic6sam) for me? It's only short, but it really needs reading. It's the sciencey one.

As for Sam's CotW (Character of the Week) romances, they have always really annoyed me. Every man that comes through that gate has to fall for her. Couldn't they have fallen for Janet? Or even Daniel *evil grin* Seriously, though, Sam is NOT a plaything.
                  Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                    Precisely. The ship is a chunk of ugly ball in the cannon and someone needs to blow it all to hell (as TBFTGoG Sam would say).
                    scari, what a way to talk about your precious sam-janet cohabitation.

feeling evil

lovin' it

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                      As for Sam's CotW (Character of the Week) romances, they have always really annoyed me. Every man that comes through that gate has to fall for her. Couldn't they have fallen for Janet? Or even Daniel *evil grin* Seriously, though, Sam is NOT a plaything.
                      but she's cute and smart and looks like and makes a mean suflee and looks like an angel and was once host to my dead wife! doesn't that make her a plaything?
                      sigpic
                      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

<brilliant idea lightbulb> me see cannon on Ship U.S.S (H.M.S) SamJack firing sj hearts at sinking ship U.S.S (H.M.S) SamJanetVala, which has no cannons. bwhahaahaha.

now if only i could make smilies... Mini!!
                        if you guys do this ship smilies war, can you present it on the blue jello corner (name?) place? please?

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

spoilers for s9. not using spoilers tags, so be careful when reading.

i don't mind relationships, even (the) romatic one. its the "sam carter: who will she be paired with next?" and "sam carter: the other half of every couple" that annoy me. why can't she just interact with people like she's....i dunno? a person? it'd be nice...you know, just for a change.
                          that's one (of the MANY) reasons why season 9 ticked me off so much.

rcc had said there'd be little ship in season 9. i assumed he meant ALL ship, not just s/j. so with jack not being on the show, i assumed (again, stupidly) that ship with sam would be literally a non entity.

then barrett hit on her (which in all fairness, gave off an s/j vibe). and little orlin declared his love. then mckay drooled. then dead martouf was almost kissed by sam.

lots of ship for a supposed non shippy season, eh?

rcc really took sam down a bad road in season 9 (and not just ship wise). and why?

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

I know when I was writing SoG:The Aftermath, I didn't list the pairings on purpose, I left it a part of the mystery and got quite a few reviews both for S/J or S/Harm. I actually took a poll for one scence to see what people thought and it came out even believe it or not, with honorable mention going to Mac (female character). Even though I took a poll, I still wrote it the way I wanted to and in the end it came out as I wanted it to.

Here's a few of the reviews I got concerning S/J and S/Harm

you know the correct pairings should be included among the content warnings because you're gonna piss most people off by completely screwing canon, not to mention the fact that S&J belong together and then put her with Harm.

I like Harm, but not with Sam. THe only one Sam should be with is Jack. And the only one Harm should be with in this fic is Mac.

And then think about the fact that Sam couldn't tell Harm anything about her life and that she lives in Oregon (where there is no Navy base) and he in DC, any potential relationship would be doomed to failure the second it started.

It is unfair not to tell what pairing this will end with cause I've got a feeling that that way many people will be disappointed with the fic if you go on this way.

Remember that readers will read fics only by writers that don't disappoint them. If you do the Harm/Sam thing, you can be sure that many readers will think twice before reading another fic by you, especially if it's a x-ove
                            I am really hoping it is a S/J & H/M fic, as they are my two favorite couples and not sure about seeing them intermingle. Willing to hang on to see where you are going, cause right now you have me hooked.
                            I for one don't mind being kept in the dark about the pairings and while I would prefer an S/J, not knowing keeps the story interesting on a different level. I am glad you have so much else going on as well...it's not just a romanic story - there's lots of mystery as well. Keep it up!
                            At this point of your story, I would go for a Harm + Sam approach; both Harm + Mac and Jack + Sam are topics, I've read tons of fics about. Besides, wouldn't that be fun to read too? I just can imagine the teasing they both would receive, a squid cozying up with a zoomie, lol!
                            As you can see there are many opinions, so you can't please everyone, which is why sticking to your guns is always the best
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

we make lists when there's a con in the near future, and the (freakin lucky!!) con-goers bring them to the Q&A session. other than that?
                              I was wondering if maybe the members could make a list of interview questions that she would answer here at GW.
                              sigpic
                              She enjoys fresh decrepit-pegasus patties. 99% Lean pegasus burgers.

I have been reincarnated as Teyla's Gymnastic Dance Sticks! Whoot!

When I quote you, I will post my opinion in bold inside of the quote box. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                                Take the high ground and stick to your gut feeling. It's your vision, not your beta's. (Unless the beta is going to write it for you...) A good beta will catch your grammar and spelling errors and catch you if you slip on the canon (...and if you write NC-17, might perhaps point out that certain contortions aren't physically possible...). But IMOHO they shouldn't try to influence you to do things a certain way to appease a certain population of readers; it'd be more questioning if you realized how a certain passage or scene comes across since you've read it so many times it might not be obvious to you any more...

out of the thousands of stories i've read (yes, i've read thousands), the only times i've ever begged a writer to change a story has been when the writer has killed sam off. you know my sore spot

two times, though, i've talked a writer into doing a sequel and altering that horrible ending. one i couldn't talk into changing, though, was alli snow and her fic 'out of the ashes'. but, she did tell me that i could write a sequel if i wanted to to her fic. (i don't read that much anymore, let alone write anymore, so i didn't take her up on this gracious offer). but the fic is absolutely beautifully written. and sad.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X