Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myrth
    And if 10 turns out to be the last season it will be a nice ending to a great story....
    I really hope season 10 won't be the last season. At the beginning of season 9 they said that they have ideas for at least 3-4 more seasons. And now when they started new direction, Arthurian mythology is really fascinating, the Ori concept, when you read and analyze "Origin" DVD commentary, is definitely worth exploring much more. Stargate Universe is really infinite... why to end it too soon?

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
      I really hope season 10 won't be the last season. At the beginning of season 9 they said that they have ideas for at least 3-4 more seasons. And now when they started new direction, Arthurian mythology is really fascinating, the Ori concept, when you read and analyze "Origin" DVD commentary, is definitely worth exploring much more. Stargate Universe is really infinite... why to end it too soon?...
      having ideas and being able to produce something that the general public is willing to watch are two different things.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Now, before this thread AGAIN descends into the 'vala/season 9 is great' discussion thread, I've got a couple more votes over night in the Sam poll. So folks please don't forget to vote.

it is really close, there are a couple of episodes that are neck and neck with a few more sneaking up

sigpic

Comment

Sky... don't smack me.. but what are we voting for again?

Originally posted by Skydiver
          Now, before this thread AGAIN descends into the 'vala/season 9 is great' discussion thread, I've got a couple more votes over night in the Sam poll. So folks please don't forget to vote.

it is really close, there are a couple of episodes that are neck and neck with a few more sneaking up
          sigpic

Comment

they were pretty much noting BUT an hour long attempt at bawdy humor

which is what Burlesque is. Usually a stage play with an emphasis on bawdy humor and a few smoke and mirror tricks
            Thank you for that Sky. I am obviously a total idiot who didn't realise that. I was just trying to back you up there and say that although I liked the episodes it was heavy on the lewd humour, although I would have thought calling it a burlesque a little strong.

However, ignore me, because I'm obviously the resident idiot.
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

You're right about Teal'c Sky. In some ways his regression is the most obvious of all.... remember the commentaries for season 7.. Teal'c was silent, now you can't shut him up, he's integrating with Earth culture blah blah. Seems to me he's now regressed back to the one word and expressive eyebrow guy of seasons 1-6. It's a shame, his character development was very cool to that point... his mastery of Earth-snark alone!!

whether or not ship 'destroys' the show, well it is solely in the pov of the viewer, but i think it also depends on how much of hte show is the ship.

in moonlighting, the whole show was the relationship. whereas in stargate, it's rarely been the whole show, but a part of it...and sam did just fine without jack.

it can be argued that sam's less than stellar stories in s9 had a lot of contributory causes

her being gone for almost 1/3 of the season
              the concentration of attention/storylines on cambo
              the concentration of attention/storylines on the daniel/vala burlesque hour
              maybe a minimizing of sam to accomodate NOT working AT 14+ hours a day
              Some darn poor writing and over emphasis on SFX

I mean, sam's not the only one. Given taht the spin we heard with Ben joining the show was 'more time for everyone', poor teal'c has yet again, been relegated to silent muscle in the corner and, unless it's a jaffa storyline, he's completely ignored.

at least sam has other stories than sam/jack for them to write if they choose....poor t-bear, if they can't stick him in robes and have him wrestle they don't know what to do with him
              sigpic

Comment

Sky... don't smack me.. but what are we voting for again?

we're voting for the 'best sam episode'

and it's something that's going to lead up to 'Sam Day' (catchier name to come) where we devote one day to promoting and enjoying all things sam.

to do this, we're reprising our poll from last year, voting for the best sam eps of each season, which will then culminate in the best sam episiode ever

but instead of doing polls, we're just voting inside here. you can pm/e-mail me your vote and i'll keep tally

a few pages back - and i don't remember which post, i'm sorry, a list of all the eps and some caps were posted for season one to help in the voting

sigpic

Comment

You're right about Teal'c Sky. In some ways his regression is the most obvious of all.... remember the commentaries for season 7.. Teal'c was silent, now you can't shut him up, he's integrating with Earth culture blah blah. Seems to me he's now regressed back to the one word and expressive eyebrow guy of seasons 1-6. It's a shame, his character development was very cool to that point... his mastery of Earth-snark alone!!
                  yeah, poor t-bear has been so wall papered.

sam, at least, does have so much more to her than the relationship. She's a bonafide leader at the sgc and amongst her peers. and, even ignoring the other weaknesses of s9, sam did just fine with what bits she was given.

teal'c however....poor teal'c. but, on the upside, CJ's not paid by the line so he's had a pretty easy season

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    Thank you for that Sky. I am obviously a total idiot who didn't realise that. I was just trying to back you up there and say that although I liked the episodes it was heavy on the lewd humour, although I would have thought calling it a burlesque a little strong.

you're not an idiot, the word has several meanings

the mocking of a serious matter or style by imitating it in an incongruous way
                    an incongruous imitation of something
                    a variety show of a type that often includes striptease (no, vala didn't strip,FCC wouldn't have allowed that, however there was a definite increase in sexually based 'humor')

sigpic

Comment

you're not an idiot, the word has several meanings

the mocking of a serious matter or style by imitating it in an incongruous way
                      an incongruous imitation of something
                      a variety show of a type that often includes striptease (no, vala didn't strip,FCC wouldn't have allowed that, however there was a definite increase in sexually based 'humor')
                      Although, to be honest, all are interlinked and those three possible connotations are all present to some extent in a description of season nine. And as for stripping.... careful Sky, your Wormhole X-treme fics gave us ValaSuperBaby, imagine what a stripping comment on Gateworld could get us.

On second thoughts.....
                      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                        i felt the only reason claudia said this was to let the *s/j shippers* know what to expect.

sally
                        I think you're reading too much into that. I think CB had nothing to say about the S/J ship-as she knows nothing about it. But she had to say something, so she went with the "popular mythos" which is that resolving RST "ruins" a show.

AT has said positive things about the 'ship in Season 10, and she's in a much better position to understand where it's been and where it's going.

Comment

I don't think it's the same scenario as other shows anyway, given that RDA is no longer a regular on the show. If it were, say, Daniel and Vala *ducks incoming objects* then maybe, but because it is a guest star and a regular, the resolution won't "ruin" the show. Am I making sense? What I'm saying is that really, seeing as RDA isn't there, the UST isn't there on screen anymore, so resolving it won't damage the show in any way.
                          Absoulte sense TJ.

Honestly, I think it's very, very sad that people continually dredge up "Moonlighting" as a reason that UST shouldn't be resolved on-screen. Wasn't that something like twenty years ago now? I think that when writers continue to ascribe to that theory it really limits their creativity. I think Sally is right-I think RST could be done, and done well if writers would just start thinking outside the "Moonlighting" box. Especially, as you said, in this instance with RDA a recurring character instead of a regular.

I find the constant drive to keep UST unresolved ruins a show for me. I don't know if anyone else watches Crossing Jordan, but I'm incredibly glad I'm not a Jordan/Woody shipper-I get frustrated enough watching the lengths those writers are going to keep those two apart and I don't really care if they get together. I know the shippers must be going nuts.

As a J/S shipper-I want postive resolution to the ship, just because I really want to see that. But as a fan of Stargate, I want the same thing because enough is enough already. Focus on UST takes away a lot more from the characters, I think, than resolving it would. And I don't just want it ignored-it's time for them to finish what they started.

Comment

Can I vote twice, cause....

No. That would be wrong. Bad Deejay. Bad.

But, you know, unless you would count both votes?

Comment

OK, I finally voted!

Favorite/Best Season One "Sam Episode", right? If not, just forget what I voted for...

Now, just to publicly reaffirm, I voted for SINGULARITY. My runner up (which I didn't send to Sky), but I'll post here anyway would be SOLITUDES.

minigeek

FormerHost - > Can we take the Vala/Daniel/Burlesque convo/disagrement to a diff thread pls? This being the Samantha Carter thread and all, ya know...

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Hey you're not an idiot *pats TJ on the head*
                                There are no idiots in the land of Samanda
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X