Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealmOfX
    I'm a fan of both Stargate and Farscape and I was cautiously looking forward to S9. Funnily enough I was more worried about Vala than I was about Mitchell fitting in. Now at the end of the season I can see Vala fitting in if they keep her toned down but I still cannot see Mitchell ggrrrrrrrrrr
    See, that's EXACTLY how I feel, too! Exactly. And the same thing happened to me. I started out the same way, and ended up making the same turn of opinion. Oh well, won't go into it here, 'nuff said. Welcome to the thread!!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
      I'd like to thank everyone again for their wonderful posts of their experiences at the con. It just shows what a wonderful person Amanda really is. That kind of caring and feeling you just can't fake, its touching to read all the ways she's touched her fans. And how she reads our thread.
      I'm sitting here with a silly grin on my face reading all this cool stuff about AT and the convention.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
        I think the trick is to try to watch all the eps from the start. Some are not good especially the first few seasons. The hook is mainly with starting to care about SG1 as a team.

That said I can imagine your frustration at the oldies lamenting the current show. And your frustration at your fave actor's character taking a beating by the likes of me.
        However I hope you understand where we are coming from too. Imagine the same thing happened to Farscape. How would you have felt if that series was not cancelled but changed beyond all recognition with CB and BB characters sidelined in favour of new actors and characters being added to the mix with their fans coming on board waxing lyrical about how wonderful the new show was.

Hopefully with that in mind you may understand why a lot of us are quite negative and I admit I'm quite resentful of the events and changes which have been made. My venting is not aimed at anyone in particular - it is venting about something I have lost.

Not quite sure what I am saying apart from asking you to understand where I may be coming from when I'm being negative about seaon 9. Oh and it will never be personal - just honest!

On the subject of Rob Coop - he lost a lot of credibilty with Amanda fans in the way he has handled the new cast changes in magazine articles and in the way season 10 contracts were handled.
        Well said, Coley - I could not have expressed it better. So in Jckfan55 style, which eps would YOU recommend to someone to get them caught up as quickly as possible?

I'd answer my own question but have a toddler w/ sharpie emergency....
        If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
        proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
        Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
          I loved the old SG1 - 8 seasons. I want the old style show. For me season 9 isn't great, the show is a shadow of it's former self and everything that made it a unique show. I don't need big names or a large cast. I want the small nucleus of SG1 working together as a team.

Have you watched the first 8 seasons formerhost?
          You know, I talked to a lot of Stargate fans on my way to and from the Vancouver Con and even more at the con who have never heard of Gateworld or been on any other Stargate forum who weren't extremely happy with the way the season has been going this year. Many asked why Mitchell was in charge and Sam wasn't. Others seemed really disappointed by the lack of the any real team interaction this season, others disliked the fact that the Stargate was rarely used anymore and others had told me that they were rather bored by the Ori storyline.

I have a feeling that the way people react here on Gateworld is a lot like how fans who are in the dark are reacting as well. I know my husband's boss watches Stargate, but she doesn't go up online to read any of the forums and she was shocked when Sam and Jack weren't in the first few episodes. She told my husband that during those first few weeks she had nearly stopped watching the show because it was so vastly different, but then he told her that Amanda was on maternity leave and that she would be back in the sixth episode she decided to stick around and see how things progressed. I think a lot of Stargate fans did the same thing, but many of them are slowly giving up. It will be really interesting to see what the numbers will be like next season, because it's obvious to me by the S9 finale rating that the show has lost a large chunk of it's fanbase since S8. Nearly 3.2 million fans watched the S8 finale of Moebius compared to the 2.5 million who watched the S9 finale Camelot. That's a 22% decrease in viewers.

One of the Q&A questions with John Smith was very interesting. Someone had asked if Walter would ever be allowed to step through the puddle and she said she had gotten a chance to speak with Gary Jones at the dessert party and he said it was a dream of his to go through the Stargate. Now, I think if he had said this it was probably very tongue and cheek, but it started a discussion about the cost of puddle passes. He said that each time a person steps through the Stargate it costs the studio something like five thousand dollars which is why they haven't been using the Stargate very much this season. He also said that while SG-1 had a movable Stargate, Atlantis didn't so any time you saw a Stargate on another planet on Atlantis the gate was added via computer graphics. He went on to say that it very time consuming for them to move the other Stargate to other locations, because it took many people to set it up and they normally had to build a platform around the Stargate, because the ground was typically not level. So these were some of the reasons we weren't seeing the Stargate much this season and from the way he spoke we probably won't really be seeing it much in season 10 either. He did say there was at least one episode were we will see the Stargate on an off-world planet, but went on to say we need to thank Cooper for that because he was initially against using it. The fan who asked the original question thanked him for his response, but politely reminded him that while all the big space battles and special effects were cool, the reason so many of us enjoyed Stargate was because it was so different from most SCI-FI shows in that it didn't revolve around a space ship. We enjoyed seeing the team walk through the Stargate on a weekly basis and many of us missed it. John said he would definitely keep that mind, but who knows if they will take that to heart next season. I keep hoping they have heard the reasons for our disillusionment and they will truly try to rectify the situation in season 10 or I'm afraid this may really be the last season for SG-1.
          Last edited by ForeverSg1; 29 March 2006, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
            I don't know, he might have more pull to get the dolphin from Seaquest
            Can't rep you, but had to say ROTFL!

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
              I thought it was about time I popped over to this thread and said hi to everyone. I seem to be living in the Who Should Lead thread at the moment, definitely time for a change of pace!

Why am I here? Because Sam is such a great character of course However she is not my favourite character as I don't have one. Since day 1 of the series I have been a team fan more than anything, boy has S9 been a let down in that area for me

I'm a fan of both Stargate and Farscape and I was cautiously looking forward to S9. Funnily enough I was more worried about Vala than I was about Mitchell fitting in. Now at the end of the season I can see Vala fitting in if they keep her toned down but I still cannot see Mitchell ggrrrrrrrrrr

I guess I better take that to another thread huh?

Actually I'm really wanting to see some Sam and Vala scenes as I think AT & CB are both great actresses. Let's hope the writers give them something good to work with (but I won't hold my breath)
              Welcome RealmOfX! Looks like you belong here in Samanda, so please, pull up a comfy chair and chat awhile.

I too was a great fan of Farscape, and was addicted to both it and SG-1, from their first episodes. When RDA announced he would be leaving, I too was thrilled to hear Ben Browder would be joining the cast. Unfortunately, despite his talent as an actor, his role as Mitchell is nowhere near as engaging as his role as John Creichton. I've been very disappointed with his debut in Season 9 and can only hope tptb give Ben more free rein to develop the character of Mitchell. I'd like to see more of a relationship (as in friendship) develop between between Sam and Mitchell. Considering they are both career Air Force, it would or should be a natural progression.

As for Sam and Vala, I say YES, more of the two of them, and as Amanda did tell at the Vanouver Con, there will be more Sam/Vala interactions, we have something to look forward to. Strong women on TV are a much needed commodity, especially in the SciFi genre. I'm so tired of women simply being eye candy or fluff.....thanks the gods that both Amanda and Claudia are excellent actresses and strong women themselves, as they bring this strength to their portrayals.

Sheesh, where did that come from? I think it's the meds typing, not me. Sorry for the rambling.
              Last edited by Lida; 29 March 2006, 11:50 AM.
              On fighting:
              Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
              Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                You know, I talked to a lot of Stargate fans on my way to and from the Vancouver Con and even more at the con who have never heard of Gateworld or been on any other Stargate forum who weren't extremely happy with the way the season has been going this year. Many asked why Mitchell was in charge and Sam wasn't. Others seemed really disappointed by the lack of the any real team interaction this season, others disliked the fact that the Stargate was rarely used anymore and others had told me that they were rather bored by the Ori storyline.
                That's how it is here, too, among the folks I've spoken to who watch but have never been online in these forums (which used to be ME TOO only a year ago!). The consensus is unanimous that this version of SG-1 isn't cutting it. Perhaps there'll be a new bank of fans coming on stream (like Formerhost) who are meant to watch "instead" of the old guard, according to the producers. I'm not sure what they've intended, but there's a very solid split taking place. Maybe that's why they've asked RDA back for more than a a single guest episode next season, hoping (in part) to lure the interest of the older fans back? Because of those I know here who watch casually and never interact online, none (save one) of the group still tunes in and cares... and by that I do not mean that Jack is a better character than the others, his character simply demands a certain type of writing/personality which has a familiar effect on the ensemble around him as well as the scenes he's in (by proxy/necessity). There's a vibe, if you will, that screams "original SG-1 team!" whenever he kibbitzes with the other three. And that sense of humor makes for fun, familiar (team-type) interaction. Because lets face it ... it has definitely been a different SG-1, since season nine began.
                Last edited by minigeek; 29 March 2006, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                  RealmOfX! Good to see ya.

You've been doing a great job Over There. This is a good place to rest your arm and decompress.
                  Thanks I've simply been trying to get them to see the truth. Sam is great! Now if logic and facts don't work maybe I can drag out my trusty cricket bat and whump some sense into 'em

I've been randomly browsing the thread. Nice place you have here!
                  -

Comment

Interesting about how much time and money is needed to set up the stargate out side and also the cost of a person walking through it, i thought it was alot more expensive for cgi to be put in and also time consuming.
                    Oh well guess i was wrong about that!
                    ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
                      Interesting about how much time and money is needed to set up the stargate out side and also the cost of a person walking through it, i thought it was alot more expensive for cgi to be put in and also time consuming.
                      Oh well guess i was wrong about that!
                      It is more expensive for CGI ... I can't see how it wouldn't be. I think that's why they tote the physical gate-model around, instead.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

One of the Q&A questions with John Smith was very interesting. Someone had asked if Walter would ever be allowed to step through the puddle and she said she had gotten a chance to speak with Gary Jones at the dessert party and he said it was a dream of his to go through the Stargate. Now, I think if he had said this it was probably very tongue and cheek, but it started a discussion about the cost of puddle passes. He said that each time a person steps through the Stargate it costs the studio something like five thousand dollars which is why they haven't been using the Stargate very much this season. He also said that while SG-1 had a movable Stargate, Atlantis didn't so any time you saw a Stargate on another planet on Atlantis the gate was added via computer graphics. He went on to say that it very time consuming for them to move the other Stargate to other locations, because it took many people to set it up and they normally had to build a platform around the Stargate, because the ground was typically not level. So these were some of the reasons we weren't seeing the Stargate much this season and from the way he spoke we probably won't really be seeing it much in season 10 either. He did say there was at least one episode were we will see the Stargate on an off-world planet, but went on to say we need to thank Cooper for that because he was initially against using it. The fan who asked the original question thanked him for his response, but politely reminded him that while all the big space battles and special effects were cool, the reason so many of us enjoyed Stargate was because it was so different from most SCI-FI shows in that it didn't revolve around a space ship. We enjoyed seeing the team walk through the Stargate on a weekly basis and many of us missed it. John said he would definitely keep that mind, but who knows if they will take that to heart next season. I keep hoping they have heard the reasons for our disillusionment and they will truly try to rectify the situation in season 10 or I'm afraid this may really be the last season for SG-1.
                        Wow. I'm glad someone had the gumption to mention this.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                          It is more expensive for CGI ... I can't see how it wouldn't be. I think that's why they tote the physical gate-model around, instead.
                          I also believe they tote the very large physical gate on location because they can then get a better shot of a character interacting with the gate and the DHD. From what N. John Smith said, the fans want more gate in their Stagate.
                          On fighting:
                          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

I believe Joe Mallozzi mentioned in one of his ramblings that the location gate bit the dust and is no more. That being the case, I suppose that it's possible that the cost of constructing a new location gate is more expensive than the few token cgi shots of off world gates we've gotten in season nine. It's certainly not as satisfying, though.

A few years back I really think they'd have replaced it with another BRT, but these days the show's budget is stretched so thin already. I can see where they're coming from with the decision to go CGI. Also, given the ever-growing cast and the short life expectancy of SG-1 beyond that elusive "last season", the expenditure is probably not considered worth it. If they're going CGI, though, they could do it a little more often for my tastes. Enough with the damn ships already!

Thanks for the infor ForeverSg1.

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                              Welcome RealmOfX! Looks like you belong here in Samanda, so please, pull up a comfy chair and chat awhile.

I too was a great fan of Farscape, and was addicted to both it and SG-1, from their first episodes. When RDA announced he would be leaving, I too was thrilled to hear Ben Browder would be joining the cast. Unfortunately, despite his talent as an actor, his role as Mitchell is nowhere near as engaging as his role as John Creichton. I've been very disappointed with his debut in Season 9 and can only hope tptb give Ben more free rein to develop the character of Mitchell. I'd like to see more of a relationship (as in friendship) develop between between Sam and Mitchell. Considering they are both career Air Force, it would or should be a natural progression.

As for Sam and Vala, I say YES, more of the two of them, and as Amanda did tell at the Vanouver Con, there will be more Sam/Vala interactions, we have something to look forward to. Strong women on TV are a much needed commodity, especially in the SciFi genre. I'm so tired of women simply being eye candy or fluff.....thanks the gods that both Amanda and Claudia are excellent actresses and strong women themselves, as they bring this strentgh to their portrayals.

Sheesh, where did that come from? I think it's the meds typing, not me. Sorry for the rambling.
                              That's great news, i've been hopeing that Sam and Vala would interact this year.
                              They are so differant but each could learn so much from each other, maybe a few scenes outside of work, what each thoughts are on "down time"
                              As for BB and CB coming to SG1 i really did not watch Farscape so had no preconcieved ideas about the show, i really did not know them from Adam.
                              I've tried really hard to like Cam but to me he's just like a cardboard cutout with a load of mouth which is a shame because he is nice to look at!
                              But i'm not giving up on him just yet, i have hope, after all i could'nt stand Vala at the start of s9 and here i am looking foreward to seeing her with Sam in s10!
                              ......TARA......

Comment

... each time a person steps through the Stargate it costs the studio something like five thousand dollars which is why they haven't been using the Stargate very much this season.
                                With a little ingenuity they can "show" lots of going through the stargate without having the thing on the screen. This is no reason to write non-gate stories. You write the gate-story and then shoot according to your budget with or without the artefact! A load of stuff can be accomplished with sound-effects alone.

They've done that in the past anyway - think of the number of times we hear the wormhole shut down in the gate-room, and see the reflected blue lighting effect shut off on an actor's face - and we know exactly what just happened without having to see a shot of the gate or its event horizon.

I am very skeptical, frankly. If some creative storyboarding and directing can't cover those budget concerns...
                                scarimor

Comment

Working...
                                X