Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golfbooy
    Just figured I'd throw in here and say that I really enjoyed the Sam/Woolsey stuff in The Scourge too. Amanda Tapping played it great; she wasn't too snarky, she wasn't too conciliatory. Great stuff from Sam.

I mentioned in the episode thread that I got a serious O'neill vibe from Carter during that scene. Her whole response to the situation reminded me of how Jack would have dealt with it, particularly when it came to the delegates. It was just a little thing, but I liked that sort of tie in. I got the impression that Carter has learned alot from O'neill, that she is very capable of handling these situations. I've posted earlier that this season Carter seems to exude a resigned sense that, yes, she is the most qualified to handle these situations. It does fall to her. I think Amanda Tapping is playing it spot on. There is a hint of cynicism, and an overall sense that responsibility for the well being of the program rests on her. I'm getting that from Daniel as well. And it works for me. It's one of the few things this season that does.
    thanyou goolfbooy, this if nothing else gives me hope for the season ahead of me . I guess this is what I've been hoping, that even if they don't put Sam in charge of the team, that at least Amanda finds a way to play Sam so that it's obvious that she's still the one evrybody relies on, that she's still fundamentally the leader of SG1 even if it isn't spoken out loud.
    And I can see Sam as being the kind of person who would be ok with 'quietly' being the leader while someone else gets the official title. I think in some ways that shows her true strength more than ever.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
      No, I'm a brunette with Weir hair (actually totally unintentional. It should be more Sam Season Eight Hair, but it's grown out).

Anyway, I'm torn on the Star Trek issue. Some TOS eps are amazing. The Trouble With Tribbles remains my favourite ever TV show to this day, followed closely by the DS9 show, Trials and Tribbleations. I always wanted a pet Tribble as a kid. ENT is just shocking, though, and certain VOY eps were just madness. You cannot reach Warp 10. Fundamental law of Trek. And they broke it.

Anyway, were there any fantasy creatures you guys wanted to have when you were little. (Pet Teal'c's excluded, Sky)
      Ooh, my fave ep was Trouble with Tribbles too! Very favourite. So cute.
      I only ever watched the original trek series. i found all the others a bit boring. So I never watched Voyager or DeepSpace9 etc...

Hmm, thinking back I can't think of any one particular creature I wanted as a pet. There were lots. I know at one stage I wanted a dragon (a small one of course ).

And Weir hair eh? I wouldn't have picked you as brunette. But then, what is it about people's writing that could possibly influence us as to what hair colour they have??? (Now I just have to imagine you as looking like the gorgeous female in the left of your sig pic instead of the gorgeous female in the right of your sig pic. See, easy!)

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam
        A friend on another board was struggling with this and not liking Mitchell so I instructed her to go back to the first season......pick out the Non-Carter episodes and find scenes and dialog that she liked and we would discuss each season. Of course we can't keep to the Non-Carter episode....can't help it but anyway here is a collage of Foothold that I did for the discussion for that Season. I have more if you want them......we are on Season 4 currently.

Cheers,

Jan
        I like your choices of pictures and composition. There's a great range of different expressions on her face there.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
          I only ever watched the original trek series. i found all the others a bit boring. So I never watched Voyager or DeepSpace9 etc...

Hmm, thinking back I can't think of any one particular creature I wanted as a pet. There were lots. I know at one stage I wanted a dragon (a small one of course ).

And Weir hair eh? I wouldn't have picked you as brunette. But then, what is it about people's writing that could possibly influence us as to what hair colour they have??? (Now I just have to imagine you as looking like the gorgeous female in the left of your sig pic instead of the gorgeous female in the right of your sig pic. See, easy!)
          Trust me, it's just the hair. And it's not even *that* Weir-ish. I mean, I'd kill to look like Torri (drool). But I don't. And I'm cool with that. I'm Tracy, and that's fine by me
          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
            I suspect AT is taking the approach of making the most of the moments she gets. "Scourge" certainly wasn't a Sam episode but
            Spoiler:
            but I did love calm, professional Sam in the cave. And notice, even if she wasn't out shooting the bugs or getting a 302, she did save the day in the end.
            Well, this episode, Scourge, sounds like something to sort of look forward to in season9. Everyone's had at least something good to say about it so far.
            Spoiler:
            Though cheesy CG bugs doesn't sounds so great. But if we get some good Sam I guess it'll be worth it.

I'm waiting.... waiting.... waiting.....
            Stargate has sometimes started back around the third week of February. Nothing yet. But then, the Winter Olympics seem to be taking up the normal Stargate timeslot on channel7 at the moment.
            Actually, I suppose we won't get Stargate here until you guys have all finished with it? Does anyone know if the series has to have totally aired in USA before Aus gets it?
            Last edited by deepspace; 18 February 2006, 02:26 PM.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I just watched the Scourge, I thought it a good, not great but good. Sam was great, so was daniel and teal'c. I Love Robert Picardo, he was the best part of Star Trek: Voyager by far, and it was great to see him again on SG1, hope he comes back. woosley does seem respect sam now, even though she's military.

The Scourge - 7/10

About Sam, even though she isn't in it as much as previous years, Due to AT's Limited schedule and the new characters needing time to develop. Apart from the "no one is the Sole leader" Issue, I think she has been used very well this season, she has probably shown to be in charge more this season then other times when she was actually soley in charge (which is a bit ironic), And i think everyone is very aware of what her abilites are, and that she should be respected, i believe it shows. So that is one plus about Season 9 (I think the Scourge showed this very well).

Comment

well i just thought i'd stop by to say, damn you all

after staying away from all this who should lead sg-1 business for so long, i am now like a dog with a bone! i just can't seem to stop myself!

also, about the what i look like thing, i look exactly like felgers doll. except that i have long brown hair, pale skin, freckles, and i'm a tad fatter and taller than the doll. but just a tad.

and Tracy Jane, I always thought you were blonde until you told us otherwise.

Comment

So, I had my mother over for dinner this evening. We watched SG-1 together, and we had a funny little moment I wanted to share.

Spoiler:
                  In the teaser sequence, while Carter says nothing and the other members of SG-1 discuss the idea of "babysitting", Landry turns to leave and stops, saying something about 'tucking in' the diplomats and 'reading them a story' before bed, and having them all in bed by 8:30 ...
                  Well, my mother and I had these big grins on our faces, and as we saw the camera pan over the reaction(s) of SG-1, my mom turned to me and said: "Hey, did you notice that Sam was the only one grinning? And we were grinning too? The guys just looked uncomfortable and confused. It's a girl thing, isn't it? All that 'baby' talk? Men just don't get it..." We had a great chuckle over that. I hadn't even made that connection, but ya know what? I think my mom was right! lol

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                  ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

thank you golfbooy, this if nothing else gives me hope for the season ahead of me. I guess this is what I've been hoping, that even if they don't put Sam in charge of the team, that at least Amanda finds a way to play Sam so that it's obvious that she's still the one everybody relies on, that she's still fundamentally the leader of SG1 even if it isn't spoken out loud.

And I can see Sam as being the kind of person who would be ok with 'quietly' being the leader while someone else gets the official title. I think in some ways that shows her true strength more than ever.
                    ds, I do believe that Amanda has been coming to terms with the writing of her character in latter part of S9 and that it's starting to reveal itself more and more, just as golfbooy and others have said. After reading those posts, I started to think back on the last few weeks and realized that Sam does have a new confidence, a relaxed but sure attitude, that makes her even more steady and mature in handling whatever is being thrown her way. She brings balance and stability.

I wouldn't be surprised that some part of Amanda is feeding into the nuances of Sam. After all, Olivia is almost a year old and the challenge of new motherhood is already one battle she's endured and won. Now she's turning her energies back into the role of Sam. I can't speak for the very end of the season, but what we are seeing here these past few weeks seems to be bringing out the best in Sam. She's not afraid to speak up and confront, but also stands her ground and gets the job done, even under tremendous pressure. I think her being so unflappable helps to overcome the nervous energy of Mitchell. I don't know how much of this is deliberate and coming from intentional writing and good direction, or more intuitive and coming from a savvy actor who knows where she wants to take Sam to compensate for some of the less-than-sterling scripts. Yes, Carter has learned a thing or two from Jack O'Neill and for that we should all be grateful.

Let's see how Amanda rides out S9 and what she does with S10. She knows, even more so now, that the fans are certainly in her corner and rooting for her! (All she has to do is take a look at the "who should be leader" poll!)
                    Last edited by ChopinGal; 18 February 2006, 04:22 PM.

Comment

spoilers for s7/s8/s9

this post is mostly a whine. it's about what i'm NOT happy with, and can't seem to get past.

in last night's ep 'the scourge', mitchell wasn't bad. but... and this is what i can't get past. i want sam to be leading! there was only one point in the ep where i thought he made a bad call (for everyone to go faster when they had the radio huts in sight), but that was the writers usual bad call, not mitchell's. so why can't i accept him? because, he should have NEVER been leader to begin with.

this is ALL about the ptb deciding to do this. whether the writers really wanted to give sam sg1 to lead in season 8, *they did it*. they wanted to move jack/rda to a more reasonable role so it wouldn't hinder sg1 functioning as a team, so they moved him to base commander. and then they moved sam to sg1's commander. did the writers put their heart and soul into it? i really don't know, because they really didn't show much of her leading. BUT, they didn't do much with jack leading the base either, so i don't feel that sam was singled out in this half-hearted writing mentality.

so i'm back to what's sticking in my craw. i want sam leading the team. i think whether mitchell does good or not, i want sam leading the team. THE WRITERS gave me this desire, just like they gave me the sam/jack desire.

two huge storylines for sam in seasons 7 and 8 were s/j and her being promoted and leading the team. start season 9 and you'd never know either had happened to her. why is this? they've *devolved* sam in season 9, and i can't deal with it.

watching all the eps we've seen so far for season 9... it's like sam's a supporting player. i understand fully that amanda's new reduced schedule has something to do with it, but just because amanda's reduced doesn't mean it should be the same for sam. creative writing would take care of it. the writers failed rda/jack in seasons 7 and 8 (and 9), and now they're failing amanda/sam in season 9.

so back to my main whine... i don't think i'll ever be able to fully accept mitchell as sg1's leader, because i'll always know that it should have been sam's. always. a simple chat between sam and mitchell would have taken the blow off, but... i just don't think i'll ever get past it.

my hopes for sam are... i just can't see this working out with mitchell, and with vala coming on full time... what will become of sam? she's had her team taken away from her. she might lose her female lead statis. what more can they take from her? (and shall we even go into my disappointments with the LACK of s/j progression?)

sally my hero -->
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

i can't help but wonder what kind of conversations sam and cameron will have during next weeks episode "arthurs mantle". perhaps some discussion of their history, or some mention of the leadership of their team, or possibly even some discussion of how things are generally done at the SGC.

i just think that it holds a lot of potential, and while i'm looking forward to some good humour in the episode, like i do with all stargate episodes, i just hope they don't throw away some great possibilities.

Comment

scourge discussion
                          Spoiler:

for me, i didn't have an issue with sam staying with the delegates instead of daniel. frankly, sam made more sense.

let's say that the boys riled the bugs up and got eaten, sam was the only one that could know the codes and procedures to keep the delegates alive

i do think that cam chickened out letting sambabysit. but it's something that jack did. he had little patience for such stuff and would let sam be the diplomatic one

i do think that the plot was contrived, the sfx rather cheesy, the eps little more than a foil for woolsey to have a change of heart

but

WE HAD TEAM!

For the first time this season, we had a team feeling. i enjoyed that

landry's 'we almost lost you' is getting a bit old, as is his heroworship of sg1, but i honestly enjoyed scourge

Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

this is such a coincidence

i was killing time wed i think, and history channel was boring so i flipped over to spike and they were aiing ds9 and what eps was it??? trials and tribbleations

OMG what a great episode!

it was funny and wry and so well done that i just enjoyed it. i found myself giggling at this and that and..well T&T is what homages are supposed to be.

fun without gettin too wrapped up in ones self

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                              i can't help but wonder what kind of conversations sam and cameron will have during next weeks episode "arthurs mantle". perhaps some discussion of their history, or some mention of the leadership of their team, or possibly even some discussion of how things are generally done at the SGC.

i just think that it holds a lot of potential, and while i'm looking forward to some good humour in the episode, like i do with all stargate episodes, i just hope they don't throw away some great possibilities.
                              This is just speculation on my part, but I honestly don't expect to see Sam and Mitchell together much more than the first 15-20mins of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                                There's one thing that I've noticed in the past few episodes. I don't know if it's AT/SC that's doing it, so I'll throw out a question to this group.

I've noticed that in some scenes, she is biting her upper and lower lips together. I've saw it about 3 weeks ago and passed it off. Then last weeks episode, I saw it again and again last night's episode.

Is it AT that's doing it or is it Sam?
                                i'm thinking it's AT. if you watch older eps, she's always reacting to jack's quips - which are really rda's ad libs. and there are times when i'd swear that he's doing his best to crack her up

we used to do that with one of our anchors. come up with bad jokes and quips during commercials to see if we could crack him up on air, and i get the idea that rda does that to AT

i'm thinking ben is doing the same thing and it's amanda reactinig to him

now in scourge....it was perfect. both of them and that whole exchange was just perfect

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X