Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi everybody!

ok i'll start by saying; woooo! i am a long way off from glowy green. yikes!

on topic though, i finally saw RE and really enjoyed most of it.

Spoiler:

the daniel rolling his eyes bit, i just interpreted that as a case of "oiy, not alternate universe, alternate universes give me a headache. and i'm always DEAD in them!"
    i didn't take this as being against sam at all.

i loved Landry's line about 18 of the best minds in the universes working on the problem.

obviously i was not too pleased that that near kiss scene got in and a useful scene with sam and janet or something like that didn't. it just seemed pointless. just there to get a cheap laugh and irk and confuse a lot of people. unless they thought it was supposed to show something clearly. i just don't get it, i'm slightly baffled by it and the only thing i can come up with is a sudden burst of jolinarity. which hopefully means they intend to bring back a jolinar subplot in the future, so this scene wouldn't have been a total waste of screen time. (having said this, i had forgotten how much martouf creeps me out, having not seen one of his episodes in quite some time, so maybe i'm biased. was never too keen on him whenever he was talking to sam, he just came across as a tad creepy to me)

i must admit though that i did get a chuckle from the asgard in that scene, but i liked him in general.

i think they just had so many sams there and not showing a ton of the other characters because they know that Amanda Tapping can do that type of scene seemlessly and flawlessly.

i'm sure there was more but i can't think of it at the moment and i'll refrain from boring any of you who actually got this far in my post anyway. (well done if you did)

Comment

oh yeah,

does anyone get the impression that sam and mitchell have known each other for a very long time based on their dialogue in RE? like maybe even as far back as high school if not the acadamy?

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
        oh yeah,

does anyone get the impression that sam and mitchell have known each other for a very long time based on their dialogue in RE? like maybe even as far back as high school if not the acadamy?
        Yes, I also get the annoying little brother vibe... followed closely by my "how the heck can he be a Lt Col head bang". Seriously O'Neill was a goof like my dad is a goof, Mitchell is a goof like my cousins 6 year old.

Common writers. Give us a lot of Collateral Damage (minus kirking) and add a dash of the goofyness and you got a good character. This over the top goofy with a bit of seriousness gets old quick.

Which is why CARTER is a great caracter (sans the relationship stuff) she is mostly serious with some fun. And her fun is actually fun because A) its usually smart B) its not expected c) it is in moderation and she looks like a professional the rest of the time (sans the realtionship stuff)
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
          Yes, I also get the annoying little brother vibe... followed closely by my "how the heck can he be a Lt Col head bang". Seriously O'Neill was a goof like my dad is a goof, Mitchell is a goof like my cousins 6 year old.

Common writers. Give us a lot of Collateral Damage (minus kirking) and add a dash of the goofyness and you got a good character. This over the top goofy with a bit of seriousness gets old quick.

Which is why CARTER is a great caracter (sans the relationship stuff) she is mostly serious with some fun. And her fun is actually fun because A) its usually smart B) its not expected c) it is in moderation and she looks like a professional the rest of the time (sans the realtionship stuff)
          Hahahaha...you don't understand how much that made me laugh. Look at this section of my Ripple Effect fic I wrote this afternoon....

Spoiler:

Sam closed her eyes. ‘Tell me he didn’t just say that,’ she thought to herself in exasperation.

Sam loved Cameron , like she loved her brother. He was kind and caring, had looked after her that night on P4R, but he could be damn annoying at times. And this was one of those times. She didn’t know who this Amy was, but his teenage humour about second base just didn’t do it for her. Right at this moment she had bigger things to worry about.
          This section is obviously taken from the script, but it seems we had the same interpretation.
          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

[QUOTE=stargate barbie]
            Spoiler:

(having said this, i had forgotten how much martouf creeps me out, having not seen one of his episodes in quite some time, so maybe i'm biased. was never too keen on him whenever he was talking to sam, he just came across as a tad creepy to me)

i must admit though that i did get a chuckle from the asgard in that scene, but i liked him in general.

Oh how can you say that about sweet oh so cute blue-eyed Martouf?
            I could so melt in his eyes
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

[QUOTE=Mandysg1]
              Spoiler:

(having said this, i had forgotten how much martouf creeps me out, having not seen one of his episodes in quite some time, so maybe i'm biased. was never too keen on him whenever he was talking to sam, he just came across as a tad creepy to me)

Oh how can you say that about sweet oh so cute blue-eyed Martouf?
              I could so melt in his eyes
              I think it was the tan with the ooober bright smile that did it for me. I find that a bit jarring, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                Hahahaha...you don't understand how much that made me laugh. Look at this section of my Ripple Effect fic I wrote this afternoon....

This section is obviously taken from the script, but it seems we had the same interpretation.
                Cool, is the whole fic posted somewhere?
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                  Cool, is the whole fic posted somewhere?
                  I haven't finished it yet. I'm literally at the bit where she first sees him. There's still a lot of issues to deal with, but I'll certainly let you know. It's taking a lot of time. It's taken me the past two hours to watch, watch, watch his entry and see what her response actually is. I don't think it's quite what you think on the first viewing.

Spoiler:
                  There is an instant sigh and jolt of relief. She says "Martouf" and then, suddenly, the smile becomes very forced..... it's very telling

Comment

[QUOTE=Tracy Jane]
                    Originally posted by Mandysg1
                    I think it was the tan with the ooober bright smile that did it for me. I find that a bit jarring, personally.
                    yeah but i think its also in the way he speaks to sam. as soon as he starts talking to her he either looks like he's hypnotised, or he looks... i don't know... almost like he's going to kidnap her or murder her or...

its just creepy to me.

and its definitely not the actor (like it is with the guy who plays narim, who reminds me of frank from M*A*S*H, and that why he freaks me out if he's playing a nice guy), i've seen JR Bourne in other things, and i had no problem with him. i quite liked him in "the exorcism of emily rose".

and its not even just because i'm a shipper. i liked orlin. i liked pete until he turned out to be crazy (IMO).

Comment

I haven't finished it yet. I'm literally at the bit where she first sees him. There's still a lot of issues to deal with, but I'll certainly let you know. It's taking a lot of time. It's taken me the past two hours to watch, watch, watch his entry and see what her response actually is. I don't think it's quite what you think on the first viewing.

Spoiler:
                      There is an instant sigh and jolt of relief. She says "Martouf" and then, suddenly, the smile becomes very forced..... it's very telling
                      yeah but i think a lot of that was
                      Spoiler:

guilt she hasn't gotten over surrounding his death, being uncomfortable about knowing his feelings for her (from last stand), and realising that she just had a jolinar moment mixed with a sam moment which confused her, and she wasn't sure what she was really feeling, and which feelings were her own. which i think also plays into explaining her later scenes with him.

Comment

Okay this is a bit off topic, but after watching RE I was in such a good mood I watched Atlantis afterwards and was kind of shocked when
                        Spoiler:
                        it turned into Stargate Atlantis THE MUSICAL Not that Teyla doesn't have a nice voice, but I expected Lt. Uhura and Captain Kirk to walk in at any moment It just didn't sit right
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Okay this is a bit off topic, but after watching RE I was in such a good mood I watched Atlantis afterwards and was kind of shocked when
                          Spoiler:
                          it turned into Stargate Atlantis THE MUSICAL Not that Teyla doesn't have a nice voice, but I expected Lt. Uhura and Captain Kirk to walk in at any moment It just didn't sit right
                          If they're gonna do it, they might as well go the whole nine yards... Buffy Style.

Comment

If they're gonna do it, they might as well go the whole nine yards... Buffy Style.
                            No No (runs away with hands over ears to go watch American Idol)
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

yeah but i think a lot of that was
                              Spoiler:

guilt she hasn't gotten over surrounding his death, being uncomfortable about knowing his feelings for her (from last stand), and realising that she just had a jolinar moment mixed with a sam moment which confused her, and she wasn't sure what she was really feeling, and which feelings were her own. which i think also plays into explaining her later scenes with him.

Yeah... I'm trying to think how to word it, though. It's a complex set of emotions there. I suppose at any one time she experiences them, but has probably learnt, for the mostpart, to disentangle them and separate them.

My best attempt so far is...

Spoiler:
                              Sam gasped and smiled in wonder and amazement. An overwhelming feeling of relief swept through her body, a feeling that she wasn’t sure was entirely her own; relief that was mixed with the guilt she felt, the painful memory of killing her lover. No. Her symbiote’s lover.

Then after the greetings, when it becomes strained

Spoiler:
                              Conflicting emotions coursed through her, her own intertwined with the freshly surfaced ones of Jolinar. Joy, relief, love, tenderness, guilt, worry…. She forced herself to keep smiling, to put on a facade

Part of it, as well, was shock.

Spoiler:
                              When Landry said someone else, I think she fully expected it to be another Samantha Carter. She wasn't prepared for him to walk in like that.

Comment

No No (runs away with hands over ears to go watch American Idol)
                                Oh... but I loved it. Why not do an absolutely stupid parody episode? It'd be really good fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X