Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal
    I see it the same way now, bink ... Amanda has named the 500-lb gorilla!

We will add this to our list of GABIT questions which I and Coley and 1speed and, hopefully, ForeverSg1, will bring to the presentations.
    Can you also please ask her if she can identify specifically which eps Carter is command because I would like to know so I definitely watch, or set my VCR if I am going to be out (these days I do not watch all eps and I do not remember to tape them either - now I watch when I am around but if there are specific ones with Carter in command I do not want to miss so hopefuly she can help us out).

I also wanted to add that I think this now puts to bed any specualtion that AT asked to not be the leader or asked for her time or be cut back a little because of the baby - from her reaction and her challenge to rcc I would say that she feels Carter should be leading, she, AT, still wants to have that as part of Carter's character, she, AT, feels she is putting in enough time to handle being the leader, etc., so any move to try and have Mitchell as the sole leader was completely in the hands of TPTB and skiffy. Clearly, IMO, AT still wants Carter to have command, just like she did when she did that interview at the end of seson 8.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
      I hope AT is not part of a scam they are putting over on the fans - that would truly be disappointing in more ways than one.
      Uh... Yeah, I don't think she is. At least... I'm hoping.

But here's my problem/question/concern: AT has no true vested interest in covering for TPTB in this case, unless you count job security. And if her job were at risk, FCOL, then we'd have bigger issues than we thought. But, if there was something going on, and she felt like she and her character were being disserviced, she could totally talk crap about them and get all of us worked up and freaked out about the issue, until something was done about it. Hey, it's worked before. She could even do it in such a way where it wouldn't seem like she was whining and complaining. If she wanted to, she really could manipulate the situation to her advantage.

However, I don't believe it's in her RL character to be conniving like that. So, for the sake of the argument, let's assume that she has agreed to not make a big deal about this command thing. Let's say that she's agreed to keep mum about her feelings on the subject. What can we assume here? We can assume that SciFi and TPTB have really felt like this is an issue that requires some smooth-talking. I guess that also means we can assume that she's being smooth-talked/strong-armed herself. If that's the case... then this is one of those things where we're probably better off not knowing anyway.

Don't get me wrong here - I do not think Mitchell is at all qualified, from what we have been shown thus far, to be leader OR co-leader of THIS SG1 but if that is what we are stuck with because of skiffy and rcc (this is where I see skiffy's meddling most at this point), I am willing to half-heartedly accept it since it is co-lead WITH Carter. No matter how you slice it, and no matter how biased and blind the antis are, it is absolutely 100% clear that Carter is more experienced and a better qualified leader then Mitchell is and THAT HAS BEEN shown in several eps this season so far.
      Yep. Agreed. That's the thing. We can debate Sam's leadership skills all we want, but when it comes down to it, she's got nine years of gate experience to his four or five months. Who in their right mind would suggest that the newbie lead the frontline team?!

Interesting take and I went back and re-read it and I just cannot see it as anything except that she was reading a script where Carter was doing all the work but at some point Mitchell got to lead and then she (AT) went to rcc to hash it out and he gave Carter the lead (too bad it took a challenge from AT to bring rcc to his senses and realize he was WRONG - my God that may be a first - some actual proof that rcc has admitted once, in connection with SG1, that he was WRONG - let's have a group boooyah!
      Aaahh. Yeah, that makes sense. I re-read it, and I was assuming that the first half of her comment had been from fans. If this all happened at the same time as when all of the Freaky Sam Fans came out and started attacking TPTB with questions... Then that is hilarious in all of its irony. The fact that TPTB were confronted from both actor(s) and fans about the same issue should tell them RIGHT THERE that they've managed to skip logic altogether.

Absolutely reprehensible after 9 years of work and loyalty to the show. As reprehensible as his treatment of AT's concerns with the idiotic ending of Affinity.
      Every time it's brought up, I get more and more disturbed.

Question for Gabit - I would like to know, if anyone will ask, what AT thought of the fact that she had to confront rcc on the command thing after 9 years.
      Thanks.
      Yeah! So which brave soul is gonna ask all of these hard-hitting questions and report back to us?
      Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 17 October 2005, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Probably been mentioned before - but I just came across it Amanda Tapping -- Devoted to a Healthy Lifestyle

Season nine of Stargate SG-1 premieres Friday, July 15, on the Sci Fi Channel. I sat down to talk with one of the series’ stars, Amanda Tapping -- Lt. Col. Samantha Carter, Ph.D. -- about how she balances her life as a new mom and what she has done to create a wellness lifestyle for herself in an industry that can be highly stressful.

gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

Threads falling down the page

gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
            Clearly, Amanda has had some of the same issues we've had with respect to Carter and command. She's just been, shall we say, more dimplimatic about them. And she's right. It's not fair. It's not right. And frankly, every viewer who's ever watched SG-1 over the years even on and off knows that for a fact.
            An interesting discussion. I wish I had time to go back and read every post of it from the beginning, but speaking solely from what I have read this afternoon in posts from the dancer of spaz, ChopinGal and others -- it certainly looks like everyone here has a very good handle on the nuance behind the scenes.

Did you all also notice what Robert said to Amanda when she approached him? Rather, what he didn't say? He didn't say: "...no, no, you're right - Carter will be leading that mission." He did say: "...no, no, you're right - you'll be leading that mission.". The issue exists for the actor here, as much as for the character. Robert was trying to placate Amanda, not attempting to rectify a plot point in the script. If you read between the lines, it's fairly clear this isn't the first time the issue of command seniority has come up for Amanda, either. I can't say I blame her one iota in her stand; the inference is food for thought, most definitely.

Cheers,
            .A.

Comment

what i think....rob may be a decent enough writer...but it does take a different personna to be a show runner...and i don't know if he has the backbone to stand up to the network. maybe he caves too easily, or simplyu doesn't have the time to fight...so we end up with too much skiffy interferance

as to the leadership thing....what i again think. skiffy wants ben to be the boss, he is the leading man after all and l ord only knows that it's jsut not possible for a *gasp* woman to lead the team/show

however i do think that bridge knows that ben isn't quite the 'best' person to be the leader and that the fans aren't likely to accept it and that sam deserves it...so they try for a compromise....co-leaders. skiffy gets what they want, the fans get what they want - screw reality and what should be - and it's a compromise
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anunnaki
                An interesting discussion. I wish I had time to go back and read every post of it from the beginning, but speaking solely from what I have read this afternoon in posts from the dancer of spaz, ChopinGal and others -- it certainly looks like everyone here has a very good handle on the nuance behind the scenes.

Did you all also notice what Robert said to Amanda when she approached him? Rather, what he didn't say? He didn't say: "...no, no, you're right - Carter will be leading that mission." He did say: "...no, no, you're right - you'll be leading that mission.". The issue exists for the actor here, as much as for the character. Robert was trying to placate Amanda, not attempting to rectify a plot point in the script. If you read between the lines, it's fairly clear this isn't the first time the issue of command seniority has come up for Amanda, either. I can't say I blame her one iota in her stand; the inference is food for thought, most definitely.

Cheers,
                .A.
                Welcome to Samanda, Anunnaki, and please don't leave! I just spent over an hour at your brilliant Sam and Jack post Threads: What's Not to Get? thread answering your wonderful and witty commentary! Jeez ... sorry for all the ellipses, but I had to keep whittling away as I added my red inserts until the darn number of words were allowed!

Please read Uber's well-reasoned arguments about Sam's character development on this thread - a couple pages back. Can someone point "A" to those posts?! I'm still recovering from ellipsing - I swear that can be hazardous to your health!

BTW, have you replaced the polar bear yet?! We have a few stray penguins here, should you need company in that igloo!

All Samandan shippers, run don't walk to the above thread! MajorSal - that's an order!
                Last edited by ChopinGal; 16 October 2005, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz

snippety doo dah ...

... Yeah! So which brave soul is gonna ask all of these hard-hitting questions and report back to us?
                  ROTFLOL Jeez, Samandans ... stand down, stand down!

Two weeks from today, one of your Royal Court may be having "high tea" with the Queen. There is a raffle for "Tea with Amanda" ... and four lucky GABITeers will win the opportunity for Sunday afternoon private time! I've never won the lottery, but if you guys send some good karma my way ... I sure hope I win this drawing! Wouldn't that be a hoot? Jester doing tea with Amanda!

AT: "So, tell me again ... you write poems about me on the ... what thread? Oh, yes, I remember getting that lovely book ..." (gushes and spills her feelings about the SaGC Collection)

Jester: "BTW, do you remember the balloons and basket of flowers and Belgian chocolates which arrived on the set during your first week back?"

AT (laughing and shining that mega-watt smile): "Do you mean ... ?!"

Jester (nodding her head and almost falling out of chair): "Yes, the same group of fans ... we really adore you!"

AT: "Let me tell you those flowers really cheered me up ... I was feeling a bit awkward coming back late in season and it really meant a lot to know how much I was missed. (Whispers apologetically) Hope you don't mind; I shared the chocolates with the cast and crew, since I was still working off my pregnancy weight!"

Other lucky winners then reach for cream and contribute to the chit-chat. There is much clinking of chinaware and moments of silence, as the Queen holds court! You realize that she is so much more elegant and beautiful in person ... gad, what a gene pool Olivia has inherited!

Once more, into the breach ...

Jester (managing not to spill the tea onto her lap nor smear icing on her mouth): "So, Amanda, how was S9 for you, personally, once you got into the swing of things?"

AT (suddenly spitting out her mouthful of tea): "Yowza! I thought no one would ever ask!! Let me tell you, confidentially ... it was just ..."

At that moment, the GABIT directors come sweeping over to the table and announce that tea time has expired! Amanda, red-faced, and ever the gracious host ... dabs at the corners of her mouth, beams at her table of fans, rises and excuses herself politely.

As she prepares to leave the forlorn four at the table, she suddenly winks to Jester, squeezes her hand, and mouths the words: "Sam will lead!"

So, that's what I'm dreaming about for the next two weeks!

Last edited by ChopinGal; 16 October 2005, 03:24 PM.

Comment

ROTFLOL Jeez, Samandans ... stand down, stand down!
                    "Yowza!" Terrific scenario! And may it all come true.

Comment

So, you enjoy a baked tart every once in awhile?!

What a setup ... forgive me, I could not resist!! All in good fun!

Yes I do, mainly due to Claudia's ability to say so much with just one look.
                      sigpic
                      I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

My Dear Ambassador

Think of your influence, not your girth, as the "at Large" part of your title.

You seem to travel through many realms (read that: threads) and the fuller title gives you more jurisdiction abroad ... cough, once again, nothing personal ....

Respectfully yours,

Jester
                        LOL It's all good CG/Jester. I know it's not about my size physcially, but the size of my ability to help others see that it shouldn't be an either/or kind of thing when it comes to characters. That's like telling me I can either have chocolate or not. WHATEVER! Not going to happen. Give me the dang chocolate, or else!

That's how I feel about Sam and Vala. I don't want either/or dangnabit, I want BOTH!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                          Yes I do, mainly due to Claudia's ability to say so much with just one look.
                          LOL - Thats what we tend to say about Sam

To quote Dani76
                          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Anunnaki

Cheers,
                            .A.
                            The dude. I believe Amanda Tapping is a seasoned actress, and knows when to push and when to stand down; and to the appropriate whoever. As you pointed out, Rob was clearly not thinking "script," but that he had been corrected by the actor. Other issues, too, may have had to be addressed, I agree.

Also extending a welcome to Samanda to you, Anunnaki. Additionally, want to say I enjoyed your fanfic, Something Missing so much that I'm still smiling. The story "hit the spot" if I may say!

Hope you post often and definitely keep the stories (which we'll never ever see on the show but gee, would like!) coming.

Just sayin'.
                            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                            sigpic
                            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                              That's the million-dollar question. It seems to me that Browder, just like Mitchell, has no desire to step on any toes. Now, this is all about appearances, so I may be dead wrong, and he could be making demands behind closed doors that we'll never see. But I really feel like this can ALL be traced back to TPTB and their past, present and future decisions for the path they want to take this show. And if they keep making it so ambiguous, even to the point where the ACTORS are questioning their places, then this cannot bode well for S10.
                              Having seen Ben in person at FS cons and remembering what he said in the special SciFi did about the SciFi Friday shows, I seriously doubt Ben would push for Mitchell being leader. Ben (paraphrasing here) basically said that he felt like the "new kid on the block". Chances are, the "new kid" isn't gonna go pushing for things he hasn't earned yet, ya know?

IF I can remember, when I got to the FS con next month, I'll ask Ben how he feels about the whole co-leadership thing and if he thinks Mitchell (the new kid) should be the leader or if they should give it to Sam. We'll see what he says. Ben's usually pretty forthright and upfront with fans when it comes to questions about his characters.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                                LOL - Thats what we tend to say about Sam

To quote Dani76
                                They both have it. That's why I'm drawn to them (and other actresses like them - too many to name). It's called emoting and not a lot of actors/actresses can do that. Some actors just simply react, instead of act. Claudia and Amanda are actors instead of reactors, imho.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X