Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGateFan
    You know I have been a Stargate fan and Sci-fi fan for many years now but I only lurked at fan sites from time to time. This year has been the most involved I have been on a fan site. And I think that my enjoyment of the Vala character was not ruined by the character or any thoughts of her replacing Sam but by the rabid fans of that character.

This occurred to me the other day, when I was watching some taped reruns of the eps. The Vala character has dropped pretty much all the OTT sexual innuendo and has fallen into a nice "Chiana" kind of vibe which I like but yet I found every time Vala came onto the screen I felt... I dunno, aggravated, annoyed. Then I realized I wasnt really thinking of the character I was thinking of specific fans of that character. Once I stopped myself from doing that the character, and more importantly Stargate was again back to being great.

So it appears to me that over exuberant fans can have the same dampening affect on a character that too many spoilers can have on an episode. What is the solution to this? Well I try to avoid spoilers so now I guess I will have to try to avoid certain post. Its a shame there is no [overexuberant fan] [/overexuberant fan] tag since it seems every post in the forum gets directed by the overexuberant fans. I guess I could stop coming to GW. I didn’t come here last year and I loved SG-1 just fine, but then I feel like I am abandoning the other non-overexuberant fans. Hmmm well maybe TPTB have solved this problem for me. I will play on GW until Midseason and if I still find myself aggravated then I will just move on I guess.
    Please hang in there for a while longer. I think it will very interesting to see what those few overexuberant fans will do now that their favorite character is gone (for now at least) Will they keep spamming the threads with their worship, (Hallowed be Vala) or will they slowly give up? I can't be sure, of course, but I suspect that they won't be Stargate fans once it's clear that CB won't be back for a while. Since most of them were Farscape fans, they may continue to watch because Ben is on the show, but it seemed to me that the way way way over the top ones have been the CB fans.

When I sometimes wonder if we gush a little too much on this thread, all I have to do is read some of their posts, and I feel much better. We're tame compared to them.

NC

Comment

Originally Posted by SamFan31:
      Here are the pics side-by-side (thanks AD for the link to Heroes II). Sure looks like it was Photoshopped. Even the slight left tilt of the podium is the same. I cropped the Heroes shot to be similar to the pic on the left.
      Thanks for the side-by-side shots. The picture definitely looks photoshopped. The reveal on the American and SGC flags are even the same, as is the slight tilt on the podium that you mentioned.

I still think that it's an odd thing to have done. Like Skydiver said above, why would they do that? It seems like a lot of trouble to go to for a small, relatively inconsequential column. Then again, I'm not sure that this magazine has much else to report on besides Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        Oh that was the impression I got... But then I did read it ages ago
        Aaaahhh... See, I read it a long time ago, too. Maybe she did retire to be with him and I just blocked it from my mind. Thay would have been TOO much for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          what i do is go into my
          tools
          internet options
          then the files section and pull hte pictures out of my temp folders
          thank you, sky!!

sally

ps - i had a lot to look through, but it was *so* worth it.
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Okay I just got home from having dinner with a friend that was visiting from France so for posting the short magazine article and starting such a debate and then leaving. The picture is a photoshop job of the Heroes promo shot. It is the last page of a special issue of TVZone dedicated to Stargate Sg-1/Atlantis. The magazine is 114 pages long and other than a short article on 24 and Doctor Who everything else is Stargate related. The magazine is a little over a month old, it is a UK based magazine that I ordered as soon as it was released but it takes them 4 - 5 weeks to ship them to the US when you order single copies after a new release. There is information on the first half of the season for both SG-1 & Atlantis although some of the information is not correct in that it has changed since the magazine was written. The page that I posted was meant as a tongue in cheek look at how long Stargate has been on the air and could continue. I don't know how long TVZone magazine has been around but I have purchased a number of there issues over the last few years. I've never seen it in a US store, every issue I have purchased has been done online either through the publisher or on eBay. But I do wish US bookstore carried the magazine be because I have enjoyed the issues I've purchased. I find it to be much better than Cult Times which US bookstores do carry.

Oh as for the Stargate vs Football debate - well all I can say is that is what TIVO is for - growing up in the South and being a Daddy's girl I spent many a Saturday in the Swamp watching the Gator's (for those of you that need translating that is University of Florida Fighting Gators Football). I have also been to 14 different NFL stadiums around the country to watch pro games. Including seeing two superbowls live . So a football lover I am - after all I went to college in a town that Sports Illustrated nicknamed "Winnersville USA" because of there HS football programs.
            My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
              Oh as for the Stargate vs Football debate - well all I can say is that is what TIVO is for - growing up in the South and being a Daddy's girl I spent many a Saturday in the Swamp watching the Gator's (for those of you that need translating that is University of Florida Fighting Gators Football). I have also been to 14 different NFL stadiums around the country to watch pro games. Including seeing two superbowls live . So a football lover I am - after all I went to college in a town that Sports Illustrated nicknamed "Winnersville USA" because of there HS football programs.
              And you STILL pick SG-1? Now THAT'S dedication.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                what i do is go into my
                tools
                internet options
                then the files section and pull hte pictures out of my temp folders
                Thats a good way aswell
                If you use Firefox (which you should be doing!!! ) you can right click on part of the popup thats not part of the picture itself (the black background for example) and go to 'View Page Info'. There is a tab up the top called 'Media' which will let you browse through all the media files on that page. Scroll to the picture you want, and click 'save as'
                Yes I use firefox I didnt know that let me try

It works cool
                Originally posted by jckfan55
                Just had to share that I've been red repped by a--shall we say *strong* Vala fan?(based on other posts by this individual)-- for saying I won't miss Vala now that she's gone. I did say there was missed potential for she and Sam to have some good scenes. It wasn't like I attacked the character. I'm not taking it hard or anything, it just reminds me of how glad I am to hang out here where we can disagree civilly.
                Hah! That individual wouldn't happen to start with a K and end with an E would it? I got dinged by one as well, for saying that Vala wouldn't be getting ascension. lol. So I sent a scathing one back
                This person is very annoying infact she has me on ignore - but she couldnt just put me on ignore she had to tell the world:
                Originally posted by Kalliope
                BTW, I put quasimjavid (Sam/Vala thread) on my Ignore List some time ago after his not nice remark on Vala, so that's why I didn't respond to his question about "jirl power".
                She even spelt my name wrong (She posted this on the Vala/CB Wow thread so it is within the forum rules to quote her and if you are wondering what I was doing in that thread - she ignored my question in the Vala/Sam thread and then somebody PM'ed me to tell me that she had me on ignore so I went looking for the post. If thats her criteria for ignoring people then she must be ignoring a lot of people)
                Originally posted by majorsal
                isn't that photo of amanda *gorgeous*!! i'll tell you, that woman was blessed by the beauty gods...

sally
                Shes lucky she wasnt blessed by the Ori
                Originally posted by SamFan31
                Here are the pics side-by-side (thanks AD for the link to Heroes II). Sure looks like it was Photoshopped. Even the slight left tilt of the podium is the same. I cropped the Heroes shot to be similar to the pic on the left.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92...Comparison.jpg
                Photoshopped indeed - thanks for that
                Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                I think it will very interesting to see what those few overexuberant fans will do now that their favorite character is gone (for now at least) Will they keep spamming the threads with their worship, (Hallowed be Vala) or will they slowly give up? I can't be sure, of course, but I suspect that they won't be Stargate fans once it's clear that CB won't be back for a while. Since most of them were Farscape fans, they may continue to watch because Ben is on the show, but it seemed to me that the way way way over the top ones have been the CB fans.
                One of these fans *hint* look up *hint* actually admits to not being a stargate fan and is only here for CB I expect they will eventually give up but I dont know when
                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

Beachhead screencaps are finally up: http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s9/906/

Heres some good ones:
                  http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s9/9...chhead124.html
                  http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s9/9...chhead159.html
                  http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s9/9...chhead160.html
                  http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s9/9...chhead266.html
                  http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s9/9...chhead412.html
                  http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s9/9...chhead419.html

I expect more to be put up soon
                  gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                  so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                  love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                    Originally Posted by Kalliope
                    BTW, I put quasimjavid (Sam/Vala thread) on my Ignore List some time ago after his not nice remark on Vala, so that's why I didn't respond to his question about "jirl power".
                    She even spelt my name wrong
                    deepspace has also made the 'U' mistake .

Still, not so nice of that person to be so blatantly rude. Guess they've never heard of Hic Comitas Regit .

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Has nobody found the history of Samanda's beans yet?
                      qasimjavid has shown interest in magic beans, and I thought maybe we could find some of our old history. I will go looking then, as I am kind of interested. I've forgotten what all the beans were now, though I think we got them all mixed up all the time anyway.
                      Talking about beans, our RA (royal accountant) bean counter hasn't been around. Coley??? Where are you?

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                        Still, not so nice of that person to be so blatantly rude. Guess they've never heard of Hic Comitas Regit .
                        I dont think she has heard of 'politeness' or 'moral decency' - I did PM her and ask her in the thread what her problem was and that if she had a problem she should PM me but she ignored me on both fronts
                        Has nobody found the history of Samanda's beans yet?
                        qasimjavid has shown interest in magic beans, and I thought maybe we could find some of our old history. I will go looking then, as I am kind of interested. I've forgotten what all the beans were now, though I think we got them all mixed up all the time anyway.
                        I am still waiting - I asked Agent Dark on MSN Messenger but he couldnt remember who everyone was

Perhaps when people make their next post they could let me know what position they hold
                        love Torri

Comment

I just found Kat's blog
                          Love all the pics. You must be creating new ones everyday. So many I haven't seen.
                          And my apologies, but I just had to look at your family photos album, as kalleesta looked so adorable. She's an amazing young girl. Looks so grown up for her age.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I just found Kat's blog
                            Can I have a link please
                            love Torri

Comment

Hey Qasimjavid! The link to the list of royal beans, and royal members of theSamandan court can be found on the official reference post - the link to which is;
                              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...page=442&pp=20

Hope it works! By the way, I'm a Royal Page, along with Deepspace - we're the darling twins of Samanda! Tho I have a feeling we look nothing alike in RL!!!
                              Royal Page of Samanda
                              "Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."

Comment

I just found Kat's blog
                                Love all the pics. You must be creating new ones everyday. So many I haven't seen.
                                And my apologies, but I just had to look at your family photos album, as kalleesta looked so adorable. She's an amazing young girl. Looks so grown up for her age.
                                Yes, linkage please
                                Royal Page of Samanda
                                "Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."

Comment

Working...
                                X