Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
    I watched "The Ties That Bind" last night, and didn't even re-watch the 2300 edition to catch the dialogue I lost in the clatter of dinner cleanup - a sad indication of my lack of enthusiasm for the ep in particular and season 9 in general.

I’m increasingly disappointed with season 9, and missing Sam more with every passing episode. ::needs 'depressed and dismayed' icon::

Spoilerish things:
    Spoiler:

(snip)

I have to say, in a way, I’ve been glad that Sam hasn’t been in Avalon 2, Origin, and The Ties That Bind, or even been mentioned – at least she can’t logically be associated with, or blamed for, any of the superficial, ill-considered and puerile hijinks therein. Then, last night, watching “The Ties That Bind” it occurred to me that Sam’s getting the classic Stargate ‘when you’re gone, we mention you for one ep, and then we forget you ever existed’ treatment, the only difference being that, thankfully, Sam didn’t have to die to experience it! Apparently, one must be Jack O’Neill to stay alive in the minds and memories of the other characters in the Stargate universe - or, since Joe Spencer rated a mention, maybe it has something to do with the Ancient gene?? If Sam had gotten Dr. Beckett’s gene therapy, and it took, would she have been mentioned on Stargate, too?
    Spoiler:
    i very, very much doubt that some of the things we've been seeing in these first four eps would have taken place if sam had been there. first of all, i don't think vala would be back (at this point in the show) if sam was still around. she wouldn't be needed. so i think the first couple or so eps would have focused on us meeting the new enemy. how they would have handled who would be in charge of sg1 with mitchell joining, i have no idea. it might be fun to speculate, but that's all it really would be. i just don't know what they would have done, other than being pretty sure we wouldn't be having five full eps of vala and the daniel-vala experience.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by Strix Varia:
      Spoiler:
      I enjoyed it... laughed in a few places, but it seemed to be lacking any "on-the-edge-of-your-seat" drama.
      Spoiler:
      Well, given what we've been given so far this season, The Ties That Bind was, for me, a welcome change of pace. Don't get me wrong, I liked the 3 part season opener. I liked the dramatic tone and portentious events that those episodes had, but after three weeks, I was ready for a break. And I got that with The Ties That Bind. For me, this was a nice middle of the road episode. Originally, I was worried when it was dubbed "the comedy episode", but I was pleasantly pleased (how's that for redundant?) with it. I think it was a nice stand alone episode, used to introduce a few new elements to the story for later use while still managing to be humorous.

Spoiler:
      His absence only emphasizes the disjointed feeling I'm getting from the whole situation.
      I'm still dying for more Teal'c, as well; Chris Judge has just been fantastic this season with very little to work with so far. Though, Teal'c not being "one of the team" so far this season works really well for me. It helps to emphasize that SG-1 is not a team yet, and maybe this is me, but it doesn't seem like Sam is missing anything important when Teal'c isn't there. That is, the fact that Teal'c is only there for the big stuff makes Sam's absence more bearable for me. That said, I can't wait to get into the Jaffa plotline more. Though from the majority of posts here at GateWorld, I'm probably the only one....
      Spoiler:
      I found the whole budget cut aspect a little ironic, because it feels a lot like they've cut the budget to the show SG-1 as well as to the SGC in the show...
      Yes, it's quite a fitting storyline from that perspective, isn't it? And, as it seems is the case with season nine, the SGC is going to get full funding, so long as a few changes will be tolerated.

I will say that this episode feels like they're just killing time until Carter returns. And, for as much as I want the story to progress, I'm absolutely delighted that TPTB realize that Carter is way too important to the show to be able to blithely move on without her. Nothing huge seems like it's going to happen until Beach Head. That's quite fitting, and it's quite respectable. That being said, Carter can't come back quick enough. The other characters need her there; someone has to keep everyone else focused.

Comment

I love what you're saying here, golfboy. And I never thought of it that way, but you're right,
        Spoiler:
        Teal'c not being that much involved either does make it more bearable that Sam is not back yet. I just miss the whole team-feeling thingy terribly
        and I can't wait for Sam to be back.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Do any of our American or non-American Samandans (more likely) happen to have the Directors Series for Resurrection?

Please PM me if you have it please...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Well...after watching Avalon part one
            Spoiler:
            and not bothering with eps thereafter...Beachhead's the episode I'll be tuning back in to. I just hope we get a proper explanation as to where Sam's went, and why this assignment is so important...Maybe it's a good thing that Teal'c not been involved too much...That's maybe showing that he's missing Sam too. I'm am quite annoyed she hasn't been mentioned after being mentioned more than once in Avalon 1...and she's not only a friend of Daniel and T, but supposedly Cameron too...It just doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't mention her
            sigpic
            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
              Thanks to sueKay (thanks for the post of the transcript ), I found out what "The Guys" are "really" thinking of Amanda, and I thought, I'd share with you.

What a great tribute to our Queen! Thanks so much for sharing this, sueK and Dani!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                ... then again, perhaps this has been the writers intention to make sure that Sam isn't forgotten, because there really isn't a cohesive SG-1 team as of yet. I must admit, I really am enjoying watching how Teal'c reacts to Mitchell. It will be really interesting to see how this relationship changes after Sam returns, because I really think she is going to be the catalyst that brings them all together.
                'Ya think?!! Sure hope so.

We know Sam's the heart of the SGC and, as much as TPTB are trying to jump-start the new season with new blood ... it just ain't workin' for me. The patient (S9) needs a heart transplant!

Two more weeks!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  'Ya think?!! Sure hope so.

We know Sam's the heart of the SGC and, as much as TPTB are trying to jump-start the new season with new blood ... it just ain't workin' for me. The patient (S9) needs a heart transplant!

Two more weeks!!
                  Oh, a friend of mine and I had this exact conversation!! We both thought that Sam was the heart, Daniel the voice, Teal'c the strenght and Jack the soul. And in the beginning of Season 8, SciFi ran the promo of
                  Spoiler:
                  "The Soul of SG-1 is lost..."
                  . That is so accurate! It is lost.
                  sigpic

Comment

A Royal Mid-Summer Night's Tale

As the Royal Chef and her devoted staff worked long into the night,

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...ndaKitchen.jpg

Samandans were kicking up their heels while waiting for the imminent return of their Queen ....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...ChorusLine.jpg

Murray and his Merry Minstrels were persuaded to return and provide some great entertainment!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...dMinstrels.jpg

Royal Head of Security and his able assistants were on top of the situation, and hired additional security patrol for this special night of reveling and frolic ....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...daSecurity.jpg

The high point of the evening was the unveiling of the six celebratory cakes which Royal Chef had created.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...RoyalCakes.jpg

It was hoped that one of these cakes would also provide a future backdrop for the Queen and her not-so-secret admirer. Every Queen deserves a King, especially one who likes cake!

In fact, when weary Samandans went to sleep that night, they could almost picture a certain couple at a certain event ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...oyalCouple.jpg

With even more dancing and celebration ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...nGal/Dance.jpg

And the groom using his military prowess to cut the royal cake ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...uttingCake.jpg

However, the best part of the dream was the happy ending!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11.../LoveTheme.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11.../Fireworks.jpg

Not only did the Royal Couple live long and prosper, but the Royal Chef was awarded a special gift for her efforts in making the Samandan Royal Wedding such a memorable occasion!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...mandaStove.jpg
                    This was posted early in the summer as a follow-up to Atteria's creation of her Samandan cakes ...

For the new Samandans, Atteria's official title in the Royal Court is Royal Baker/Chef. She threw herself into her royal duties with great gusto! We had a lot of fun that week teasing Atteria and voting for her cakes.

It seems fitting to bring this fairy tale back up onscreen now ... this one's for you, Atteria! May you heal and be well!

Comment

So good to hear astro is coming back! I was wondering where she'd gone, it seemed to strange to come on here and not see any posts by our keeper, as she's usually quite prolific (in the best kind of way ).
                      And Sky, hope you have a good trip. I just have to say I think your new avatar is fun. And we want our mod back soon. (Yes, she's our mod, I don't care if she's a mod for the whole forum, she's ours .)

Now, most people I know still seem to be here, but please tell me:
                      any word from majorsam? I don't see our madam president on here much.
                      carterslave?
                      samfan31?
                      gatebee?
                      gracey (tok'ra hostess)?

I know I'm missing out people, but these are just a few names I haven't noticed since I've been back here.

And I can't stop wondering about Atteria .

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

A Royal List of the Scribes of Samanda

This select club welcomes any citizen who has written and published at least one Samfic online. To date, the following are Royal Members of the Scribes of Samanda:

Madam President, MajorSam
                        Madam Vice-President, MajorSal
                        Keeper of the Flame, Astrogeologist
                        Census Taker, Skydiver
                        Court Jester, ChopinGal
                        Royal Photographer, UberSG-1 Fan
                        Royal Head of Security, AgentDark
                        Queen's Bodyguard, Strix varia
                        Royal Technician, Myrth
                        Royal Page, Charlie
                        Senior Scribe, Tok'ra Hostess
                        Loyal Citizens, ann_sgcfan, sueKay, alittletoolate

Please apply for membership should you be eligible and we shall be glad to welcome you into the fold and post your name here. Apologies to anyone unintentionally omitted.

Jester
                        Hear Ye Hear Ye
                        The Royal Deed is Done

Welcome to all new Samandan Scribes
                        Who are adding even more great reading and fun!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                          So good to hear astro is coming back! I was wondering where she'd gone, it seemed to strange to come on here and not see any posts by our keeper, as she's usually quite prolific (in the best kind of way ).
                          And Sky, hope you have a good trip. I just have to say I think your new avatar is fun. And we want our mod back soon. (Yes, she's our mod, I don't care if she's a mod for the whole forum, she's ours .)

Now, most people I know still seem to be here, but please tell me:
                          any word from majorsam? I don't see our madam president on here much.
                          carterslave?
                          samfan31?
                          gatebee?
                          gracey (tok'ra hostess)?

I know I'm missing out people, but these are just a few names I haven't noticed since I've been back here.

And I can't stop wondering about Atteria .
                          Hello Royal Page! Yes, the Keeper has been walking the rims of volcanoes and going through lava tubes in Hawaii. She should be back soon! Just as Sam is the heart of Stargate; I often feel that Astro is the heart of Samanda. She always seems to be keeping watch and commenting on all of us! It will be great to get her back!

Sky is our official Samandan mod ... you are so right! The Royal Census Taker is always ready to keep us on the straight and narrow and post our surveys! BTW, don't forget to vote in the preliminary Poll to Pick the Samanda Flag!

MajorSam is off in the bushes doing her military training for the summer and, from what she told us, it's pretty BASIC training ... no laptops, TVs, ... poor Pres ... no Sam Carter techie stuff but plenty of Sam Carter action in the field! She returns on August 21 and then, get this, she begins an acting workshop in Vancouver with Tom McBeath (Maybourne) on the 22nd! How exciting is that?!

carterslave and Tok'ra Hostess have not been around or, maybe, just lurking?! Come out to play, guys, if you're reading this. What are your thoughts on S9 and Sam's imminent return?! We miss you! I think gatebee and SamFan31 will be stopping by shortly ... they haven't been gone as long.

And we all are holding Atteria in our thoughts and prayers! Please share news if anyone manages to get in touch with her husband, John.

Hope I've answered all your questions, dear little Page! And hope life is treating you better too!

Jester
                          Last edited by ChopinGal; 07 August 2005, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Walking rims of volcanoes, hmm, yes, that sounds like astro alright. Well, hopefully she'll have lots of fun stuff to tell .

Sounds like our president is having a busy time also. She should have some good tales to tell after this lot!

Thanks jest, I just got a little frantic wondering if people had left while I wasn't here. Thankyou for the info.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Hey there citizens of Samanda! It's been a while since I was last here although I have been lurking occasionally, cheeky I know! I won't see S9 until Oct so have yet to develop any opinion of my own although from what I've read here and on the j&s shipper thread I get the feeling that it's not all roses without Sam or Jack.

Still, as majorsal so marvellously reminds us it's only 13 days to go until Action Sam returns!!

You go girlfriend!!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                *Sigh* I keep going up to the contest site and trying to submit something, but I can't decide on anything. Nothing seems good enough. Maybe I'll make something I feel is worthy in the next few weeks. It's a bit nerve-wrecking to think that I may actually be there when Amanda sees all of these submissions.
                                Err I think just about everything you've done is much more than good enough!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X