Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Skydiver
    i think so too. i think that sam, at the end of s8, decided to:

    spend time with cassie
    realized that she's now a 'mother' and needs to have a more stable life
    decided that she wants a life
    decided to move on and leave the galavanting to the kids
    decided to have a future with the man of your choice (or woman)

    and willingly quit. she decided to transfer and have a m-f 9-5 job where she's not getting shot at, hunted and nearly killed on a weekly basis.

    and i think that she's gonna be recalled to the sgc, not be happy, do her duty regardless and, maybe, decide that she still has a job to do. her duty will again win out.

    i think that mitch will hold her, and the rest of sg1, with a bit of hero worship and will be rather 'let's make this work' instead of 'me boss, you subordinate'

    i think that he will recognize and acccept that all of sg1 outranks him in a way. they have the experience and knowledge that he just can't match

    i don't think it'll be a butting heads relationship, rather a one of equals, with a few tense spots

    I see what you are saying, Skydiver, but Cassie is what, 19 years old by now? Yes, Sam will want to take on the mother role, but it seems a bit different at 19 versus much younger. So, I am not sure that she would be torn about coming back to SG-1 because of Cassie or trying to have a life when there is such a threat going on. That doesn't sound like Sam to me, given the current new enemy, but I could be way off!

    Like you and others, I think Carter and Mitchell will be a relationship of equals.

    Comment


      cassie is 19 or so, but she has also lost two mothers in a relatively short amount of time.

      also, it's said that sg1 is broken up/disbanded. i don't know if they'd have done that had sam just been off TDY. Personally, i think she transferred. maybe cassie got into las vegas university (or whatever big school is near las vegas) and sam transferrred to be there for her.

      I do think, after what happened in threads, that sam got a dose of 'life is too short' and with the goauld basically defeated, it was time for her to move on
      Where in the World is George Hammond?


      sigpic

      Comment


        Originally posted by Skydiver
        i think so too. i think that sam, at the end of s8, decided to:

        spend time with cassie
        realized that she's now a 'mother' and needs to have a more stable life
        decided that she wants a life
        decided to move on and leave the galavanting to the kids
        decided to have a future with the man of your choice (or woman)

        and willingly quit. she decided to transfer and have a m-f 9-5 job where she's not getting shot at, hunted and nearly killed on a weekly basis.

        and i think that she's gonna be recalled to the sgc, not be happy, do her duty regardless and, maybe, decide that she still has a job to do. her duty will again win out.

        i think that mitch will hold her, and the rest of sg1, with a bit of hero worship and will be rather 'let's make this work' instead of 'me boss, you subordinate'

        i think that he will recognize and acccept that all of sg1 outranks him in a way. they have the experience and knowledge that he just can't match

        i don't think it'll be a butting heads relationship, rather a one of equals, with a few tense spots
        As much as we want to see Sam lead the team, I think you're right, Sky. This is probably the scenario. But if that's what we have to stomach, I believe we'll still see her save the world another time or two.....and, again, prove herself the heroine she is.

        Frankly, I'm beginning to think (Don't shoot me, Canadians!) that Amanda, Alan and Baby Olivia should move to Los Angeles.....and she should make the change to U. S. TV. He could become a builder there too. She's certainly the best actress not working in broadcast network TV. We talked several weeks ago about how great she would be in various shows or roles. Maybe she could do a series where RDA appears in a recurring role as her husband. That would be "Sweet!"

        Comment


          About Cassie, I have a problem with that. Janet's been dead for more than a year now. Yet, we have never learned, through all those episodes dealing with Sam's emotional side, how she dealt with taking care of an adolescent. Never a hint. It must have been difficult. And all of a sudden, she leaves the SGC to take care of her. And for other personal and professional reasons.

          Good nigth every one.

          Bon 14 juillet Lys. C'est mon 2e 14 juillet. J'ai la nationalité française depuis juin de l'an dernier. Amuse-toi bien

          Compagnons de la patriiiiiii-i-e le jour de gloire eeeeeeeeest arrivéééééééé ...
          sigpic
          There are only two things to worry about: either you are well or you are sick.
          If you are well, then there is nothing to worry about: but if you are sick; there are two things for you to worry about: either you get well, or you die.
          If you get well, then there is nothing to worry about. If you die: then there are two things to worry about: either you go up or down.
          If you go up, then there is nothing to worry about. But if you go down, you will be so busy shaking hands with old friends you wont have time to worry.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Skydiver
            cassie is 19 or so, but she has also lost two mothers in a relatively short amount of time.

            also, it's said that sg1 is broken up/disbanded. i don't know if they'd have done that had sam just been off TDY. Personally, i think she transferred. maybe cassie got into las vegas university (or whatever big school is near las vegas) and sam transferrred to be there for her.

            I do think, after what happened in threads, that sam got a dose of 'life is too short' and with the goauld basically defeated, it was time for her to move on

            Yes, all this makes sense, it's just that when she hears about the new threat (which is suppose to be worse than the goauld), then I see her wanting to be right back in the frontline. I don't think Sam can help herself. But, yeah, she probably did transfer for all the reasons you stated. But once she hears about what's going on, I think she'd want to be back in the thick of it. But I guess if we go with this transfer idea, then Sam does give up her leader role---then conceivably Mitchell gets the lead. I just really hope they write her return in a way that does justice to the character---if the character gets cheated (and therefore the fans and AT), I won't be a happy camper. I don't want the writers to cop out. Maybe they didn't realize that alot of fans really wanted to see Carter lead!!! Hence, why the big debate in many places. I remember that once the news was announced that Mitchell was a Lt. Colonel---all hell broke loose!!

            Comment


              Originally posted by ChopinGal
              This just in! Healthy-living interview with Amanda ... the woman does it all!! Now she's into painting besides guitar playing ... and so happy and balanced it seems.

              http://www.terrawellington.com/Column2005/062205.htm

              Did anyone read this article? I think everyone got wrapped up with the leadership debate and S9 yays and nays and it got lost a few pages back ... so I'm rolling it out again. Nice little interview on Amanda's current lifestyle and how she's making it all work.

              Comment


                note to uber... i can't get that dot thingie above the u in your name. i tried. my computer made weird noises and rolled it's eyes.


                sally
                sally

                sigpic

                Comment


                  Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  Did anyone read this article? I think everyone got wrapped up with the leadership debate and S9 yays and nays and it got lost a few pages back ... so I'm rolling it out again. Nice little interview on Amanda's current lifestyle and how she's making it all work.
                  Oops sorry I read it. It's a really good interview. I liked hearing about what Amanda has done to prepare herself for Olivia and becoming a new mom. She acts, writes, paints, plays guitar. She's truly a superwoman in her own right. I think Amanda would fit in so perfectly here at the SAGC. Wish we could get her to hang for a few minutes. I'd also love to see the pictures she's painted for Olivia's room. Maybe one of these days Amanda will auction off one of her paintings for charity.

                  Kat

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by chocdoc
                    Hey Strix varia---thanks for chapter 3 of your sam/janet fic. It was great and I wish didn't have to end!

                    I think that Historian is right---Mitchell will be the team leader---it frankly is in every report you read!!! I'm getting worn down reading the same thing over and over about Mitchell taking over as new leader after Jack.

                    I think TPTB wrote season 8 around RDA, thinking it was SG-1's last season, and, I hate to say it, Sam was the leader by default. They didn't want to add a new character then for the team to go much off-world with Sam as leader. Instead, they focused around RDA being general and then tying loose ends to prepare for the end of their last season (or so they thought). I don't think they ever really had any plans to write Sam as a true leader---very sad for me and disappointing---it would have been so good---an extremely sad missed opportunity. I would have admired the writers if they had taken the chance with Sam in season 8---AT could have pulled it off easily, and the character over the last 7 seasons had proven herself to lead. (And darn it, AT wanted to do it too).

                    Then when they got renewed for a ninth season, TPTB probably thought, oh gee, we CAN'T REALLY have the FEMALE be the LEADER of the team for a whole season going on real live off-world adventures, heaven forbid, so let's add that new character and, voila, Mitchell is born. There won't be an "issue" because they never really SAW Sam as the leader in the first place. (oh, and we have an out---AT is pregnant and will take maternity leave). Sorry for my cynicism!

                    So now they won't really come out and say that Mitchell will remain the leader after Carter returns, but in fact because they aren't admitting anything, this looks like this is the case. The sad thing is the most fans were ready and willing to see Carter take on the leader role in season 8, and many would have preferred that than the overemphasis on romance for her (and for me the Pete story was way way way too long).

                    I hope for Carter getting the respect she deserves in how they explain why Mitchell is leader and she is not. I like that she will be soldier/scientist sam again. And I like that at least Carter and Mitchell are the same rank. I think at the very least Carter deserves not having to be subordinate to anyone on the team. She's been the subordinate for so long---it's time to change it.
                    Great post, chocdoc!
                    Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                    Just...

                    GROWL.
                    And I'm with you Über!
                    Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                    See I dunno. I see Sam as someone who wouldn't settle for anything less than Stargating across the universe (omg, someone should re-write the lyrics to Star-Trekkin... ). I think she may have taken some temporary leave, but I don't think she'd want to leave for good. Especially not if she still believes she can contribute to the efforts of the SGC.
                    I agree, AgentDark!
                    Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    This just in! Healthy-living interview with Amanda ... the woman does it all!! Now she's into painting besides guitar playing ... and so happy and balanced it seems.

                    http://www.terrawellington.com/Column2005/062205.htm
                    Thanks for the link, Chopin - great article!
                    Last edited by astrogeologist; 13 July 2005, 08:41 PM.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      Oops sorry I read it. It's a really good interview. I liked hearing about what Amanda has done to prepare herself for Olivia and becoming a new mom. She acts, writes, paints, plays guitar. She's truly a superwoman in her own right. I think Amanda would fit in so perfectly here at the SAGC. Wish we could get her to hang for a few minutes. I'd also love to see the pictures she's painted for Olivia's room. Maybe one of these days Amanda will auction off one of her paintings for charity.

                      Kat

                      I read it too, ChopinGal---thanks for the link. It was a great article. I can't believe she has the energy to do everything she does!! The difficulties for women in the TV industry was interesting too (couldn't help myself).

                      Darn, I have to go to bed!! Pleasant dreams, Samandans everywhere!

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by ChopinGal
                        Did anyone read this article? I think everyone got wrapped up with the leadership debate and S9 yays and nays and it got lost a few pages back ... so I'm rolling it out again. Nice little interview on Amanda's current lifestyle and how she's making it all work.
                        Yep, read it. Quite nice. I wonder how she gets the time to do all those things and still feel relaxed
                        sigpic
                        There are only two things to worry about: either you are well or you are sick.
                        If you are well, then there is nothing to worry about: but if you are sick; there are two things for you to worry about: either you get well, or you die.
                        If you get well, then there is nothing to worry about. If you die: then there are two things to worry about: either you go up or down.
                        If you go up, then there is nothing to worry about. But if you go down, you will be so busy shaking hands with old friends you wont have time to worry.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                          Hey guys, I was just curious:

                          How many of you aren't going to watch the show until Beach Head? I kinda wanted to take a poll of some kind, so...


                          If you will definitely watch all eps leading up to Beach Head, please say, "Yay."

                          If you will not be watching any eps leading up to Beach Head, please say, "Nay."

                          And if it's all up in the air for you, please say, "Meh."


                          Thanks for indulging my bout of curiosity!

                          Just so you know, I'm a "Yay."
                          NAY.


                          and i'm glad this subject was brought up, because i need some help. since i'm not going to watch until sam/amanda returns, but i don't want to be lost when she does, i'm wondering if anyone would mind writing up a summary of what happens in those eps so i could jump right in on AUGUST 19TH, when SAM/AMANDA RETURNS?


                          sally
                          sally

                          sigpic

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                            See I dunno. I see Sam as someone who wouldn't settle for anything less than Stargating across the universe (omg, someone should re-write the lyrics to Star-Trekkin... ). I think she may have taken some temporary leave, but I don't think she'd want to leave for good. Especially not if she still believes she can contribute to the efforts of the SGC.
                            I must be in the minority here, because imho if Sam had to choose between science and stepping through the Stargate there wouldn't be a contest. I see her a woman who loves her job as a soldier and explorer, but science is more than a job to her. It's in her blood. It's her passion. Without it, she wouldn't feel complete.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                              I must be in the minority here, because imho if Sam had to choose between science and stepping through the Stargate there wouldn't be a contest. I see her a woman who loves her job as a soldier and explorer, but science is more than a job to her, it's in her blood, it's her passion. Without it she wouldn't feel complete.
                              I'd say stepping through the gate would be one of the best things a scientist could do though. Sam's an Astrophysist - how many of them would kill to get the chance to actually get up close and personal with the very things they study from telescopes back on Earth?
                              I think Sam would have a very hard time going back to telescopes and radar dishes after being able to actually get out there and feel the dirt in her hands

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                Unfortunately they don't have to have a very good or credible explanation other than Sam's was made a Lt. Colonel after New Order II whereas Mitchell has been one since the end of Lost City II. This would make Mitchell the ranking officer. No other explanation would be required nor probably given. And as much as I would love Sam to be in charge, I have a nagging suspicion as well that the writers aren't going to write it as such.

                                I just hope after she is asked to come back for Beach Head, that we at least see something with her and Mitchell where he says something about how happy he is she came back and how much he has been looking forward to be a part of SG-1...ALL of SG-1.

                                The way I look at it, I really do not see this team behaving in the same manner as we had with Jack as the CO. In the past, Jack was the ranking officer and tactician. At times, he may have taken a hard-nose stance on certain situations and made Sam do things she would rather not have done; however, in most cases than not he looked to her for her scientific expertise to help pull their butts out of the fire.

                                Unfortunately due to the fact that he was a higher ranking officer, Sam was unable to question his decisions and chose to treat him with nothing but the upmost respect regardless of her personal opinions to his decisions. We never saw her behave towards Jack like Daniel or Teal'c would. They may have respected his command but they were never obligated to obey his command.

                                However, I am beginning to believe that the writers have gone out of their way to write Mitchell in a way that would allow Sam and Mitchell to co-exist as equals on SG-1. Mitchell may in fact be the leader and perhaps a better tactician than Sam, but I believe he will also be very green in terms of working off-world and will look to Sam for her off-world/scientific knowledge and seek her advice in many situations. They will also be able to speak to one another much less formally than Sam was allowed with Jack and therefore it won't appear so much as a superior/subordinate relationship, but rather one of equals looking at a situation and determining the best course of action.

                                In the end, yes Mitchell would be Sam's commanding officer and she would have to defer to his decisions; however, like JM said at this point in time it's not an issue...which I am leaning to believe that they have not come to a situation where their opinions are so different that Sam would feel she was being ordered to do something she didn't feel comfortable doing and when that time came, it would definitely be a meaty storyline for both Sam and Mitchell.
                                That was just... wow. Wow... OK. Awesome. I'd ask - no demand - for you to post this in the infamous thread, but only a choice few would appreciate it...

                                Still... if you feel like doing it anyway...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X