Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golfbooy
    OK, I'll take a bit of a stab at this one. While the characters and the worlds and the realtities in scifi shows (and all other stories and literature for that matter) are non-existent in a way, that's exactly what gives them the ability to explore issues of faith, origin, life, etc. Such characters are avatars for our own questions and feelings regarding "meaning of life stuff", and sci-fi as a genre is particularly freeing for whatever ideas authors want to explore (or want us to explore). As for the Bible, I can't agree that simply because it exists in my own reality that it can't also exist in another. And being full of moral tales itself, I for one certainly won't accept the idea that it has no place in someone else's moral tale. Even one as entertaining as SG-1.

As for Carter, any speculation in regards to whatever religious upbringing she may or may not have had is exactly that, speculation. TPTB have never explored nor given any hints as to that side of her character. They themselves have probably never thought much about it. At best, from the few instances where Sam has encountered anything resembling spiritual or religious questions, she has met them with skepticism (Maternal Instinct) or deflected the question (Threshold). That being said, my own projection of Carter's views place her as agnostic. She's seen so much more than the normal person ever could, yet still hasn't found proof that there is a higher power, disinterested or otherwise. If anything, I'd like to think that Sam has learned that the idea of God or of a "higher power" is merely a matter of perspective. And, as we've all seen in Stargate, such perspectives are easily manipulated, played upon, and used to oppress.
    I figured I wasn't communicating my thoughts well...

I guess my point is that while faith itself is an intriguing issue and the faiths of various characters is a neat aspect of their personality and development, that what is perceived as an absolute truth in REAL reality may not be considered an absolute truth in science fiction...whatever the show may be...mainly because the parameters of the realities that exist on shows like SG-1 or whatever, exist with absolute truths that work just great there but are in conflict with REAL reality.

So looking at this from a purely scientific perspective, if the equation is made up of or has elements based on false conclusions, then the end result must be false.

Like Sam, for instance...she accepts as an absolute truth that the Goa'uld exist and parade as false gods and that if a person does x, y and z, they can ascend to a higher plane of existence and meet Mel Harris and George Dzundza...unless your name is Janet Fraiser, in which case you just drop off the planet and then you're completely forgotten . Her playing field is significantly different than that which exists in reality and contains things that are TRUE in her reality but are not true in this reality...therefore her parameters for distinguishing what she believes and accepts are completely different than people that are not science fiction characters in that universe and more than likely conflict with the conclusions drawn by characters from Battlestar Galactica, or Star Trek.

So I don't have a problem with characters trying to figure out what they believe about life, God, faith, reality, WHATEVER...I just keep in mind that the parameters that they are drawing on are significantly different than those based on REAL reality.

And there it was...my deep thought for the year.

Wow...was THAT a mouthful...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

As for Carter, any speculation in regards to whatever religious upbringing she may or may not have had is exactly that, speculation. TPTB have never explored nor given any hints as to that side of her character. They themselves have probably never thought much about it. At best, from the few instances where Sam has encountered anything resembling spiritual or religious questions, she has met them with skepticism (Maternal Instinct) or deflected the question (Threshold). That being said, my own projection of Carter's views place her as agnostic. She's seen so much more than the normal person ever could, yet still hasn't found proof that there is a higher power, disinterested or otherwise. If anything, I'd like to think that Sam has learned that the idea of God or of a "higher power" is merely a matter of perspective. And, as we've all seen in Stargate, such perspectives are easily manipulated, played upon, and used to oppress.
      I agree.

I can understand though, why TPTB wouldn't really look at religion in her life (Though you'd think they would, considering the concept of the Goa'uld). Judging from her character, I don't think religion really plays that big a role in Sam's life or her belief system. But I'm sure some of their adventures through the gate have prompted more than one of those soul-searching moments when she sits and wonders what it's all for.

Just my ambigous 0.02$.
      Alice in Chains, Metallica, Jerry Cantrell.
      Pure metal.
      Go Red Sox and Patriots!
      My favorite CD ATM: Master of Puppets, by Metallica.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        typical joe, the king of evasion
        I found it funny that someone even made a banner of Joe and one of his most recognizeable quotes...

I think our nerves are rather frayed though...all the anticipation about next season and what it'll mean for not only Sam the character but the SG franchise as a whole.

I really REALLY hope that they don't do something I'd perceive as stupid because they want to pull in a new and different fanbase at the expense of their existing fanbase...

Attached Files

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Interesting thoughts on Sam's religion.

I'm not going to make big sentences , but I can't see Sam as a very religious person. I'm not saying she doesn't believe in a higher being, but I think, if she does, it's not something she's going to bring everytime SG1 encounters supernatural phenomenons. But there's this part in Revelations when she's in Daniel's lab and Hammond comes in:

SAM: So what are we supposed to do? Keep working like nothing happened?

HAMMOND: I understand how you feel.

SAM: With all due respect Sir, I don't even understand how I feel. We didn't even have a memorial service.

HAMMOND: We're not even really sure that he's dead.

SAM: And that's the problem. What are we supposed to do, Sir? Wait and.. and hope that he comes back or.. just move on.

How should we understand Sam's need for a memorial service ? Does she want to say good bye to a friend, or does she want it as the clear sign for the beginning of life after life ? Does she see it as a ritual or as something deeply needed to be in peace ? Sam struggles with the loss of Daniel. She doesn't know what to think. Sam's religion was science from the beginning. She always had a scientific explanation. Here, she can't bring science, there's nothing in the "laws of physics" to explain Daniel's ascension. She tries to turn to religion, she said "hope", but clearly, she's not comfortable with the notion, like if it was something long forgotten, something from her childhood.
          I can't picture Sam as a very religious person. She was clearly the one the most distressed by Daniel's ascension on the team, and in my opinion it's because she didn't believe in another way of existence for him. He was lost for good.

Just my 2 cents.
          Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
            Gosh, I hope it's not entirely a male/female perspective... While I may be frequently mistaken for a man, I'm very definitely female! I, like, have pictures of myself in dresses and things... I've even been known to wear heart-shaped necklaces and pearls!
            I don't think it's entirely a male/female perspective Strix. Your flags are amazing. I really love them. I think you really applied the rules for designing flags. Does it come from your experience in a medieval group ? I think so. They have a medieval taste. And now, as a total geek regarding Middle Ages, I'm really jealous of your "other life" .

Enjoy the Security Staff of Samanda going on patrol !

Comment

OK, I'll take a bit of a stab at this one. While the characters and the worlds and the realtities in scifi shows (and all other stories and literature for that matter) are non-existent in a way, that's exactly what gives them the ability to explore issues of faith, origin, life, etc. Such characters are avatars for our own questions and feelings regarding "meaning of life stuff", and sci-fi as a genre is particularly freeing for whatever ideas authors want to explore (or want us to explore). As for the Bible, I can't agree that simply because it exists in my own reality that it can't also exist in another. And being full of moral tales itself, I for one certainly won't accept the idea that it has no place in someone else's moral tale. Even one as entertaining as SG-1.

I have to agree that Carter's views place her as an agnostic, though I do believe at some point in time she did question a higher power/being. However, I think that at the moment Sam is stuck between wanting to believe and needing to have proof and unfortunately that to me is the complete opposite of what the word faith means: firm belief in something for which there is no proof. Which in itself is a bit of a contradiction to believing in a God of any religion.

I do believe that, whether as a child or as an adult, Sam did look into the possibilities of a God/Higher Power.

In First Commandment, as they are getting ready to gate back home Jack and Sam have this conversation.

Sam: "I had the chance to end this, Colonel, he literally asked me to do it."
              Jack: "Killing a man is no badge of honor, captain."
              Sam: "I know."
              Jack: "Look, I'm no expert on this thing." He waves the book Hanson had. "I generally read one commandment, and I think it's the first."
              Sam: "I am the Lord your God, and you shall take no other God's before me?"

and in Maternal Instinct

Daniel: Isn’t there the smallest part of you that wants to believe a person can reach a higher level?
              Sam: Yes, of course, but…

I think both of these instances show that Sam has at least delved into religion and spirtuality at one point in time; however, I believe her scientific tendancies to see the absolutes in life, her need to strive to see how things work and be able to explain them has made any form of spirituality very hard for Sam to truely obtain.

Which is another thing that I believe sets Sam apart from the other members of SG-1. Teal'c has lived over 100 years believing unconditionally in a false god. Daniel appears to be extremely spiritual and willing to accept many possibilities of a higher power without having proof, and although Jack comes across as cynical and unbelieving of most things, I think deep down he believes in a higher power (just not the Gou'ald).

I guess for me what I would need to know is, according to Stargate, did the Asgard and Gou'ald take advantage of humans using an already existing religion to gain control of the situation or did these religions come into existence because of the Asgard and Gou'ald.

Wow, this is really much too deep of a conversation to be discussing at 4:30am when I'm dozing in and out. Hopefully my opinion makes at least some sense. Think I better go to bed before my nose hits the keyboard.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Atteria
                There is no way to make comments on all the posts! You are posting fiends.

First, CONGRATS to Lys, our new Royal Pharmacist and to Lida, returning to once again be our Royal Physician. What a pair you two should make.

Congrats to ForeverSg-1 and ChopinGal, for achieving new milestones in posting. Really great job on the plaque SamFan31, I love it. Also, are we going to vote for flags? Right now, I have to be truly unoriginal, and go with #5.

AND, the voting for the "special occasion cake" will close tomorrow evening. I'll post a pic of the cakes again, so any that missed them, due to the flurry of weeekend posts, will have a chance to vote.

1. Traditional
                2. Fantasy
                3. Flowery
                4. Art Deco
                5. Unusual
                6. Totally Whacked Out!

To date, we have 5 votes for Flowery (#3), 4 votes for Fantasy (#2), 2 votes for Totally Whacked Out (#6), and 2 votes for Unusual (#5). Please make your voice heard. Sam may be needing a cake soon (hope springs eternal).

As a quick note, sorry, but I haven't had my surgery yet. A complication forced my very cute doc to cancel the surgery and reschedule it for July 18th. At least it's AFTER the 15th! I'll keep you posted, as once I go in hospital, I'll probably be unable to use my pc for awhile. Boo! Unless I can goad someone into buying me the laptop I've been eyeing and hinting about, for the past 2 weeks. LOL We'll see. I hate to play the sympathy card, but I REALLY want that laptop. WAIT! I've got it! I'll just say that if I had a laptop, I could continue to post here and you all would help to speed my recovery...laughter IS the best medicine. Think Lida would write me a note????
                I vote for the Totally Whacked Out one (#6) First, it's a very unusual one and second, in these times of national pride I couldn't help but notice the big flask of Chanel N°5 on the top.

Atteria, the Royal Pharmacist thanks you for your kind words and is pleased to send you, by special permission of our Queen, this special liquor to help your recovery:

Feel free to use of it whenever you want. The only side effects known as for now, are good moods, increased health and strength.
                I've even met two great Jaffa warriors (Teal'c and Bra'tac) who swear that the effects are better and quicker than those of Tretonin.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                  Great Castle Pictures -
                  Thought I would way in with a couple of my own - this castle is one that was built by my ancestors

http://img214.echo.cx/my.php?image=a...turm1029pt.jpg
                  http://img214.echo.cx/my.php?image=allstedt27hl.jpg
                  What a beautiful castle ! Is it in Germany ?

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                    Kudos to all the creativity displayed in the flag designs. I think we're going to need to have a vote-off or something. IMO, Lys started out w/ a really strong design but the addition/subtraction/rearrangement of various elements has meant that each subsequent iteration is a bit watered down, IMO. Strix's design seems to get stronger w/ each revision, OTOH. Is anyone else planning to enter the lists?
                    OK, here's my contribution to the Great Flag Debate...

As somebody who hasn't got an artistic bone in his body, I'd like to compliment Lys and Strix on their magnificent efforts thus far. Keep up the good work!!!

Anyway, IMHO Strix's designs are the more formal, and so might make a suitable shoulder patch for the Samanda Security uniforms (if they ever arrive, that is - don't tell me the Royal Tailors are still celebrating the holiday?!!!). Lys' designs meanwhile are more, erm, *playful* and thus perhaps better reflect the Samandan mind-set in general?

But might I also suggest that the simpler the design, the better - we don't want a procession of Royal Embroiderers presenting themselves to Lida with RSI, do we?

1s4S

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      I've given this issue some thought over the years because I've seen characters of various scifi shows themselves start to ask questions about origin, life, faith, God, etc...

And I came to the conclusion that the question of faith on these shows is...to me at least...kind of silly just because by definition these shows are science FICTION and deal with unreal parameters.

How can these characters judge real truth in realities (and by that I mean the realities of the different shows...the system of truth set up by the writers) that are in fact false or non-existent?

So it intrigues me when for instance the Bible is mentioned on science fiction shows...because the Bible exists in REAL reality and deals with existential truths in REAL reality but may or may not conflict with the reality of the fictional show. Does that make sense?
                      I think that science fiction is an opportunity to deal with these questions of faith, morality, the bible etc and express possible solutions/ideas/insights in a way that is perhaps clearer and more simply communicated than in real life. Yes the characters are dealing with unreal situations, but these instances could be viewed as a sort of heightened reality, or even dramatic metaphors for events or issues experienced in the real world.
                      One example is 'Singularity' when Sam has to face Cassie's apparently ineveitable death. Not only must she face the loss of a child she has formed a bond with - a heart-breaking experience many people have faced in reality - but also come to terms with the idea that this child is being used as a weapon of destruction, a weapon of war. I wonder how many mothers whose children have died as suicide bombers, or whose children have died from a sudden illness could relate to this episode.
                      Another is the idea of Daniel's Ascension to a higher plane of existence. This could be seen as a way of exploring the idea of life after death through the guise of science fiction.
                      A writers imagination can only take them so far...for a story to be complete and successful they must inevitably write what they know. Science fiction is a genre in which the writers own beliefs and questions can be communicated and explored in ways perhaps more meaningful than than is possible in real life. I mean, what is science fiction but a slightly twisted version of reality, with a dash of the unreal, a taste of the impossible and in many cases a real life issue with the the stakes raised so much higher.
                      Faith in particular is something so intangibel and in it's own way ludicrously unreal that maybe it is something best explored through the presentation of the unreal.

Phew! I didn't mean to write an essay! Sorry! There was an idea in there somewhere, I swear! It just got kinda lost along the way...
                      Royal Page of Samanda
                      "Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."

Comment

Originally posted by Lys

Enjoy the Security Staff of Samanda going on patrol !
                        And before the Royal Accountant pops up and engages her Sarcasm Chip... yes, that'll be me at the back.

Comment

Hi there, i've just bought speakers for my pc and i was wondering if anyone had the links for any interviews that is out there that i could download to listen and view of Amanda.Also any Sam and jack music video's would be great to

Oh and just to let you know i've got Amanda's Leo award video and i've just watch it again but this time i was able to hear what she was saying lol!
                          ......TARA......

Comment

Today's a great day in Samanda !

A new statue of our Queen has been erected in the castle's park.
                            The material was kindly provided by Her Majesty's great friend, Thor, Supreme Commander of the Asgard Fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                              What a beautiful castle ! Is it in Germany ?
                              Yes this castle is in Germany -
                              My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

My deepest thanks to the Royal Pharmacist for presenting me with a large jar of Caeruleum Liquamen, which she has professed to be better than Tretonin. Right now, I'll be happy if it grows hair. (deep sigh)

Voting on the "special occasion cakes" ends tonight, at midnight, then we can get down to serious voting on the flags, coat of arms, etc.

So far, the total stands at:

5 Flowery
                                4 Fantasy
                                3 Totally whacked Out
                                2 Unusual

I'll hold off voting, in case we need a tie breaker.

Not much else to report, except I have placed an order for French champagne, wine and some real haute cuisine surprises, for Bastille Day. So keep your tummy's empty on the 14th.

Later.

Comment

Working...
                                X