Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
    I'm posting this here and not on the Gabit thread because it is meant for Samandans as well as Gabiteers and since most of the Gabiteers over there are Samandans anyway and not all Samandans are Gabiteers.....welll you get what my over tired (insert completely exhausted) mind is trying to say...
    (do cross post though to that and the Sanctuary thread plse)

Spoiler:
    I really find myself tongue tied in trying to convey to Amanda's fans what I feel - and I can imagine some of you are finding that hard to imagine. <g>

This weekend was quite simply an emotional rollercoaster which made its final stop at a very special place. The pure compassion and generosity of Amanda's fans never ceases to fill my heart with that warm kind of fuzzy that can come only from spending the weekend in the company of very special people.

I don't get to meet many of the new attendees on a personal level because of my role at these Events but this weekend, having been dragged back unexpectedly to the hotel after a dinner I was having with Amanda, late on Sunday evening, I did. (2.40 am to bed after that one girls) !!!!

It was a pleasure to sit in the lobby with you all. Chelle you're an angel and it was lovely to finally connect with you. Neep!!! What can I say? Hugs to you. All of you - I seriously can't remember the names - it was so much fun (even though my body wanted to be in bed) I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I did get that bar of chocolate back by the way! And no Chelle and Neep, we're not considering a world tour down under at the moment. LOL!
    Nora, Debs,Maggie,Elaine, Jill. It was so lovely seeing you all again. All of you who stopped me for a hug or just a word. Thank you for doing that.

Julia - you're a special friend and a special person. Always remember that. I told you how beautiful you looked! Thank you for what you gave me. I will treasure it.

I know so many of the "repeat offenders" now that each and every hug (usually at the auto table) is like greeting an old friend again and renewing that acquaintance briefly but emphatically and with feeling. The whole atmosphere at AT4 was one of love and caring and sheer fun.

We spend a long long time creating, honing, tweaking, planning and plotting these Events and many a long weekend at my house is spent with 16 people sitting around the various rooms making things while laughing and embracing what they are doing with enthusiasm and love. And my evenings are spent every day of the year working on the Events. And the end result is what you got at the weekend. And every second we spend on these Events is worth it! Seriously.

AT4 was without doubt, not only in your minds from what I have read, but also in ours and certainly in Amanda's, the best Event ever.

And that brings me on to one thing. What I said in both my charity speech and my final speech was every single word of truth. Amanda inspires each and every one of her followers to take up the mantle of compassion and use it to make other's lives more liveable, more comfortable or just plain safe.
    Samandans and also those Amanda fans who haven't found the little haven here are a very special group of human beings. For 270 fans to raise over £24,000 in two days is PHENOMENAL. I'm so proud.

THANK YOU all of you. For coming along and having fun. For coming along and being generous. For making it feel so special.

And thank you to those of you who bought the book. I was beyond amazed and extremely humbled when Rebecca gave Amanda the cheque for sales and £1000 was handed over. I was humbled by each of you who came and told me stories of your daughters reading it and helping them to come to terms with feeling confident in their teens about themselves. You cannot know how that made me feel.

Reflections was the right title for AT4. I knew it would be. You ARE all reflections of each other and that reflection is one of caring, compassion and beauty.

Lord knows what I'm going to call AT5 but trust me I'll be working on it.

Again, THANK YOU so much from the G4 and staff, Amanda and Thomasina, Legends and the two charities, Sanctuary for kids and Hearing Dogs. Ten dogs in the Gabit kennel now - we need an extension.
    And our fundraising relationship with Sanctuary for kids has only just started. There is so much more we can and will do for them.

The house is looking like a nuclear war broke out while I was gone because it is full of boxes and suitcases. The dog is on her way home. Scheduling and planning for Canada starts now.....and planning for AT5 too. The day job awaits tomorrow. But for now I'd just like to say.

Amanda's fans - be proud of yourselves. I am of you. You guys totally rock.

xxoxoxo

Julia
    G4
    Chairman and Guest Services Director
    GABIT
    Back at cha! Gabit events are in a league of their own and the dedication of you lot is mind blowing. I'm very glad you came to hobnob on Sunday evening too, even if just for the hugs
    sigpic
    Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
    My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
      I agree Sky, the Gabit con IMO is the BEST con out there. It's a place where friends can come and spent time with each other and get to know one another better. And the best part if it is that everyone there has a common bond, Amanda.
      Actually, I'm going to make a little correction. Of course, seeing as you've not been to one of the events, you wouldn't know, but there are people there who are not there because of Amanda at all. And they are a huge part of why the events are what they are.

First person I can think of is Vicky (hope I'm getting names right here), who is an amazing, warm and lovely woman. As a non-fan, she mans the registration desk during Q&A sessions so not a single fan has to miss the panels. Which is awesome. And she's just as wonderful, just as important a member of the group as any fan that is there.

Second person who I can think of is a lovely lady called Anke who was sort of "dragged" to AT3 but had such a good time that she came back. Nothing to do with Amanda, she's still not a fan. But she loves the event and the friends that she made there.

So actually... not everyone has that particular bond. But that doesn't for a moment decrease the value of their presence or contribution.

The second best thing is that everyone their uses what power they have for good, raise money for a good cause and what not, thanks to the money you guys help raise, a lot of kids and dogs are going to be helped. I believe fans are what makes the cons the success the are has much as the guests. There is no better con that Gabit if you ask me.
      Wait til you get to an event. You don't realise the extent until you get there. Because it's the little things as well as the big ones. It's the little touches and bits that the girls (and guys) do so well. The things that people never seem to mention on the forums. So... yeah.

What I'm most curious about is who Amanda was on the phone with, and what she was drinking on stage.
      It was RDA who phoned during the auction (like last year) and offered two 15-20 minute phone calls to be sold to raise money for S4K. As for drink, I only remember water. But I may have missed bits.
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I'm so jealous of everyone who was at AT4! And sad, because I really wish I could have been there. But I am seriously looking at flight prices for next year!
        sigpic

"I don't know how you can call yourself a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry" - Coombs
        "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" - Amanda Tapping
        My Livejournal my Tweets and my Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Spacegirlnz View Post
          I'm so jealous of everyone who was at AT4! And sad, because I really wish I could have been there. But I am seriously looking at flight prices for next year!
          You WERE at AT4! The entire room knew it.

Seriously, I wish you could have been there. At one stage I was thinking about you and tearing up a bit, then suddenly they played a montage of all the quilt of many hugs photos and when your image filled the screen I broke the silence with "EMMAH!!!" That's such a beautiful photo, who took it bro?

Tonight I went to see Avenue Q. Without you. I felt so guilty. But it was just as amazing as expected, we have to see it together.

Guys, various body parts feel entirely too unmolested. The lobby of this hotel just isn't the same.
          Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post

Seriously, I wish you could have been there. At one stage I was thinking about you and tearing up a bit, then suddenly they played a montage of all the quilt of many hugs photos and when your image filled the screen I broke the silence with "EMMAH!!!" That's such a beautiful photo, who took it bro?

Tonight I went to see Avenue Q. Without you. I felt so guilty. But it was just as amazing as expected, we have to see it together.

Guys, various body parts feel entirely too unmolested. The lobby of this hotel just isn't the same.
            If anybody has a good photo of the described quilt, would love to see it posted here.

(*I make quilts and love to see quilts made by others.*)

Comment

YAY! That made my cry a little.

Psssst. We're totally going in April because it's gonna be at St. James!!!!!!
              sigpic

"I don't know how you can call yourself a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry" - Coombs
              "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" - Amanda Tapping
              My Livejournal my Tweets and my Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
                Yep. Gabit offered every attendee of AT4 to sort of pre-register for AT5.
                We basically just wrote our names, seat numbers and email addresses on a little slip of paper.

Nora said she saw a lot of those filled out slips.
                AHHHHH! They never did that before. I sure hope there's seats left for AT5. Had to miss this year.

When is it supposed to be?
                Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                Anon

Comment

i just finished looking at the last of the six zip files lilferret made from the AT4 con... amanda is sooo wonderful and beautiful, and when she was crying at the closing ceremony, i wanted to hug her so tightly!!

k, just needed to get that quasi-squee out.
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                    Actually, I'm going to make a little correction. Of course, seeing as you've not been to one of the events, you wouldn't know, but there are people there who are not there because of Amanda at all. And they are a huge part of why the events are what they are.

Second person who I can think of is a lovely lady called Anke who was sort of "dragged" to AT3 but had such a good time that she came back. Nothing to do with Amanda, she's still not a fan. But she loves the event and the friends that she made there.

Wait til you get to an event. You don't realise the extent until you get there. Because it's the little things as well as the big ones. It's the little touches and bits that the girls (and guys) do so well. The things that people never seem to mention on the forums. So... yeah.

Anke did not get *dragged* to AT3. She *sort of* got dragged to AT2 and Avalon has came back for AT3 and AT4 because she had so much fun.

She is not a fan and it must be weird to sit in the panels and not know what Amanda is talking about.
                    Although she mentioned tuning into Stargate reruns lately.

The little things:
                    Our registration packs included the following:

- tissues and disinfectant gel (the tissues were not only for those who had a cold but for the closing ceremony as well...)
                    - a pin in memory of Ruthie who sadly past away last year. Ruthie was one of the auction crew members
                    - the gift from Amanda this year was a small mirror (theme of con being "Reflections") and Anke - who handed out the gifts for one of the photo sessions said she thought it was funny handing them out to guys.

The steward's packs include a button with our name on it so you always know who you are talking to. If you look closely you can also see how often the person worked as a steward (there is a little Gabit emblem underneath the name).

I love the buttons with Carter or Magnus quotes they have at every event.

I had not brought my copy of Julia's book to the autograph session as I was not sure if she would sign it (d'oh). I returned later and Jools went and got it signed for me.
                    It's those little things that really matter.

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                    AHHHHH! They never did that before. I sure hope there's seats left for AT5. Had to miss this year.

When is it supposed to be?
                    They haven't set a date yet. No one has paid for the tickets so far and who knows what is going to happen in the next 18 months or so (18 months = time they need to prepare an event)

Comment

Yes the entire room knew!

Sorry the guests in the other hotel are letting you down *sigh*

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
                      Anke did not get *dragged* to AT3. She *sort of* got dragged to AT2 and Avalon has came back for AT3 and AT4 because she had so much fun.

She is not a fan and it must be weird to sit in the panels and not know what Amanda is talking about.
                      Although she mentioned tuning into Stargate reruns lately.

The little things:
                      Our registration packs included the following:

- tissues and disinfectant gel (the tissues were not only for those who had a cold but for the closing ceremony as well...)
                      - a pin in memory of Ruthie who sadly past away last year. Ruthie was one of the auction crew members
                      - the gift from Amanda this year was a small mirror (theme of con being "Reflections") and Anke - who handed out the gifts for one of the photo sessions said she thought it was funny handing them out to guys.

The steward's packs include a button with our name on it so you always know who you are talking to. If you look closely you can also see how often the person worked as a steward (there is a little Gabit emblem underneath the name).

I love the buttons with Carter or Magnus quotes they have at every event.

I had not brought my copy of Julia's book to the autograph session as I was not sure if she would sign it (d'oh). I returned later and Jools went and got it signed for me.
                      It's those little things that really matter.

They haven't set a date yet. No one has paid for the tickets so far and who knows what is going to happen in the next 18 months or so (18 months = time they need to prepare an event)
                      The little things were brilliant! The pins were beautiful, the hand sanitiser was handy and the mirrors were cute. Not sure what I'm going to do with mine yet, hmm.

I forgot to buy a copy of Julia's book prior to the auto session and then didn't manage to get back to get it signed, but it's okay because I gave it away yesterday morning to a friend who needs to have it and I wouldn't have been able to do that if I'd got it signed *g* I'll get the next one signed.
                      Last edited by Tittamiire; 18 November 2009, 03:38 AM. Reason: I can't tell q and g apart
                      sigpic
                      Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                      My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

I'm posting this here and not on the Gabit thread because it is meant for Samandans as well as Gabiteers and since most of the Gabiteers over there are Samandans anyway and not all Samandans are Gabiteers.....welll you get what my over tired (insert completely exhausted) mind is trying to say...

Spoiler:
                        I really find myself tongue tied in trying to convey to Amanda's fans what I feel - and I can imagine some of you are finding that hard to imagine. <g>

This weekend was quite simply an emotional rollercoaster which made its final stop at a very special place. The pure compassion and generosity of Amanda's fans never ceases to fill my heart with that warm kind of fuzzy that can come only from spending the weekend in the company of very special people.

I don't get to meet many of the new attendees on a personal level because of my role at these Events but this weekend, having been dragged back unexpectedly to the hotel after a dinner I was having with Amanda, late on Sunday evening, I did. (2.40 am to bed after that one girls) !!!!

It was a pleasure to sit in the lobby with you all. Chelle you're an angel and it was lovely to finally connect with you. Neep!!! What can I say? Hugs to you. All of you - I seriously can't remember the names - it was so much fun (even though my body wanted to be in bed) I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I did get that bar of chocolate back by the way! And no Chelle and Neep, we're not considering a world tour down under at the moment. LOL!
                        Nora, Debs,Maggie,Elaine, Jill. It was so lovely seeing you all again. All of you who stopped me for a hug or just a word. Thank you for doing that.

Julia - you're a special friend and a special person. Always remember that. I told you how beautiful you looked! Thank you for what you gave me. I will treasure it.

I know so many of the "repeat offenders" now that each and every hug (usually at the auto table) is like greeting an old friend again and renewing that acquaintance briefly but emphatically and with feeling. The whole atmosphere at AT4 was one of love and caring and sheer fun.

We spend a long long time creating, honing, tweaking, planning and plotting these Events and many a long weekend at my house is spent with 16 people sitting around the various rooms making things while laughing and embracing what they are doing with enthusiasm and love. And my evenings are spent every day of the year working on the Events. And the end result is what you got at the weekend. And every second we spend on these Events is worth it! Seriously.

AT4 was without doubt, not only in your minds from what I have read, but also in ours and certainly in Amanda's, the best Event ever.

And that brings me on to one thing. What I said in both my charity speech and my final speech was every single word of truth. Amanda inspires each and every one of her followers to take up the mantle of compassion and use it to make other's lives more liveable, more comfortable or just plain safe.
                        Samandans and also those Amanda fans who haven't found the little haven here are a very special group of human beings. For 270 fans to raise over £24,000 in two days is PHENOMENAL. I'm so proud.

THANK YOU all of you. For coming along and having fun. For coming along and being generous. For making it feel so special.

And thank you to those of you who bought the book. I was beyond amazed and extremely humbled when Rebecca gave Amanda the cheque for sales and £1000 was handed over. I was humbled by each of you who came and told me stories of your daughters reading it and helping them to come to terms with feeling confident in their teens about themselves. You cannot know how that made me feel.

Reflections was the right title for AT4. I knew it would be. You ARE all reflections of each other and that reflection is one of caring, compassion and beauty.

Again, THANK YOU so much from the G4 and staff, Amanda and Thomasina, Legends and the two charities, Sanctuary for kids and Hearing Dogs. Ten dogs in the Gabit kennel now - we need an extension.
                        And our fundraising relationship with Sanctuary for kids has only just started. There is so much more we can and will do for them.

The house is looking like a nuclear war broke out while I was gone because it is full of boxes and suitcases. The dog is on her way home. Scheduling and planning for Canada starts now.....and planning for AT5 too. The day job awaits tomorrow. But for now I'd just like to say.

xxoxoxo

Julia
                        G4
                        GABIT
                        spoilered for size...

that was so beautifully said julia, just WOW! i really hope that i can make it to an AT event one year!

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                        Did you expect anything different in Amanda's post?
                        nope not at all
                        "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

Okely dokely....I wish I could stay and play but I'm at the internet cafe in Solinen and about to fall asleep! So I'm just going to pop in here and at the Gabit thread really quickly then make my way back to aunte and uncles house for a nanna nap!
                          I just wanted to say that AT4 was by far the most amazing, wonderful, awesome, fabulous, fun event ever!! I can't thank everyone there enough for everything they did...it was just the best...the most welcoming and loving atmosphere...Samandans and Amanda Tapping fans rock!!!
                          The G4....OMG! You guys...I don't know what to say. I love you!!! You are awesome!
                          All the attendees...you are the people who make this world a better place to live in. I don't think I ever stopped smiling or laughing...which was bad for the throat I can assure you! My voice is still lost somewhere at the Ren!
                          Right now my thoughts are with my hubby and kids...I can't wait to see them on Sunday.
                          So with luck I shall have a few pics and hoepfully a small report prepared sometime next week!
                          Til then, take care, stay safe and have fun!!

Oh btw...Amanda is....WOW!!! Not that surprising I know but she really is WOW!!!!

Night all!!!
                          (((Samandans)))
                          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Spoiler:

xxoxoxo

Julia
                            G4
                            GABIT
                            (((Julia)))

You have such an amazing way with words. I can't wait to hear about when AT5 is going to be held....need to water that seed I planted in hubby's head!!! And I am still hanging onto that magic word you used in your speech...."YET"!
                            I am saving your book to read on the flight home...I have about 23 hours of flying ahead of me so I should have it finished before I touch down in Melbourne!
                            I should have bought a few more copies...can I order them online?
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

My money is on AT5 being spring/summer 2011, simply because they have MTM and SE in 2010 and i can't see them tacking something to the end of 2010 after doing those.

Don't quote me by a long shot, but I personally don't see it happening too much before then and it can't happen too much later than 2011 (because of the 18 months thing) but also because of the olympics in 2012.

You know, if you went to both/either MTM and SE and then AT5 you'd be going to 2 olympic cities
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Just a quick post to say I made it home safe. Unfortunately, my house was broken into while I was away. Apparently the place I come from is not so friendly after all. Off to chat with the police.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X