Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
    I agree. One of the reasons I never loved the original ST is that, despite the fact it was progressive for its time, it still had Uhura in a miniskirt and Kirk .... well, Kirking, all over the universe.
    I also think, in the original Star Trek especially, the characters were generally secondary to the 'message-of-the-week' and the technology. The characters were *there*, they just weren't considered at the time I suspect as being as important. Even the message when about people was less about them as individuals and more about grand statements about societies and populations. In contrast, 'modern' scifi I think has figured out that even back on Star Trek it was the *characters* which really drew people in. All the gadgets and preaching in the world wouldn't have mattered if people didn't want to see Kirk, McCoy, and Spock standing around quiping at each other. And people care less about how something will effect society than how it will - or would - effect *them*. So newer scifi tends to focus more on characters and how they relate and react to everything around them. Which, really, has happened throughout fiction, it's just more obvious I suspect in SciFi where, lets face it, without careful indepth development characters can be much harder to understand and relate to.

And, especially back in the 60s, I think men tended to be more interested in technology for the sake of the technology while women still wanted to see how it effected people.

Or. Then again. Maybe teenage males were simply more likely to find a role model in one of the Trek guys then women were in Uhura....

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
      Here's the photo from the Vancouver Sun, as apparently it's no longer available online there:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../leoawards.jpg
      Wow! Martin in a suit! I think the only other time we'd seen that was in Wormhole Extreme (I think) when he was one of the NID 'men in black'.

Mumsey
      (wondering if he was wearing shorts after all, since we can't see their legs!)
      For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post

And, especially back in the 60s, I think men tended to be more interested in technology for the sake of the technology while women still wanted to see how it effected people.

Or. Then again. Maybe teenage males were simply more likely to find a role model in one of the Trek guys then women were in Uhura....
        OT - Trek: (slight rant)
        Spoiler:
        Tell that to A-A girls growing up in the 60s. At least Urura was intelligent and was treated with dignity, which was more than most black girls/women got in those days. In spite of the skirt,
        /rant

I have no idea if you're right about the men and tech.

As a (likely weird) woman I never really liked the Kirk obsession. I liked Spock and loves McCoy's humor, but I really enjoyed Sulu, Scotty and Uhura more. Chekov, not so much.Man did I love to hate Bester though, so it wasn't the actor. I guess I rally preferred the early Pocket books more as they were featured more heavily -at least til someone decided to make it more Kirk, most of the time.

/me is happy for AT. maybe Alan built her that shelf for the Leos for Mother's Day.
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Here's the photo from the Vancouver Sun, as apparently it's no longer available online there:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../leoawards.jpg
          Chris H. must have had a few days off.

suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
            Actually, considering some of the reviews I've read <cough> it seems they aren't dumbing it down quite enough (NOT that I want then too!!!) because so many need it explained why a 157 year old Victorian Era woman *obviously*, considering the accents surrounding her might no longer have a 'pure' English accent.

suse
            Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
            ^ yeah, I mean people who live in different parts of the US over a 10 year period pick up hints of different regional accents. Why wouldn't someone's accent change over 157 years? headdesk
            I've lived in the same general area all my life, and basically have a southern accent. But since I live in a major metropolis, where a lot of people moved to from Chicago in the 80's and New York in the 90's, I've picked up words, phrases, dialects and ways of speaking that aren't Southern. So much so, that while someone from the north can definitely tell that I'm from the south, people who've lived in the south all their life have a very hard time placing my accent.

I can only imagine how much an accent would change for someone who's lived for 157 years, traveled all over the world, and lived among various cultures.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
              I've lived in the same general area all my life, and basically have a southern accent. But since I live in a major metropolis, where a lot of people moved to from Chicago in the 80's and New York in the 90's, I've picked up words, phrases, dialects and ways of speaking that aren't Southern. So much so, that while someone from the north can definitely tell that I'm from the south, people who've lived in the south all their life have a very hard time placing my accent.

I can only imagine how much an accent would change for someone who's lived for 157 years, traveled all over the world, and lived among various cultures.
              I've lived in the south for 3/4 of my life. yeah, there's an accent. But I grew up with parents from Pennsylvania and New York and lived in PA for a bit. I also seem to pick up accents quickly. (I just wish I was a mimic. Would be fun.)

It's my guess people would place me as a southerner. I just have too many off the colloquialisms typical of down here. (And the iced tea snobbery.) But given a few months away, people would be very confused. I'd still be using the phrases, but would have added in the local ones.

Last week a man from up north started raving about how nice southerners are when I said hi and smiled. He was from New York.

He'd obviously never been to Vancouver. Strangers were very kind to me there - even bought me a bus ticket when I arrived at MIDNIGHT (stupid Amtrak) and had no money and no way to change it. God bless them.

On topic: Amanda lives in Vancouver.

suse
              <wipes brow>
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                I've lived in the south for 3/4 of my life. yeah, there's an accent. But I grew up with parents from Pennsylvania and New York and lived in PA for a bit. I also seem to pick up accents quickly. (I just wish I was a mimic. Would be fun.)

It's my guess people would place me as a southerner. I just have too many off the colloquialisms typical of down here. (And the iced tea snobbery.) But given a few months away, people would be very confused. I'd still be using the phrases, but would have added in the local ones.

Last week a man from up north started raving about how nice southerners are when I said hi and smiled. He was from New York.

He'd obviously never been to Vancouver. Strangers were very kind to me there - even bought me a bus ticket when I arrived at MIDNIGHT (stupid Amtrak) and had no money and no way to change it. God bless them.

On topic: Amanda lives in Vancouver.

suse
                <wipes brow>
                Way to redeem yourself, suse! Nicely done! )

On topic: Amanda was born in Essex, UK.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

heck, ihead to the UK for a week to attend a con and i come back with a very bad brit accent. people pick them up all the time. and after a few rums, i 'twang' something awful

i do not find helen's accent to be bad or wrong or inappropriate. it's a product of her longevity and lifestyle and makes perfect sense to me, and not something i necessarily needed to have explained
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    heck, ihead to the UK for a week to attend a con and i come back with a very bad brit accent. people pick them up all the time. and after a few rums, i 'twang' something awful

i do not find helen's accent to be bad or wrong or inappropriate. it's a product of her longevity and lifestyle and makes perfect sense to me, and not something i necessarily needed to have explained
                    As a born and bred Brit, I think that Amanda's British accent to be fantastic! I think she does a great job with it! My dad, even though he was only flicking through channels and coming across a brief bit of Sanctuary, thought Amanda's British accent was impressive.

I usually go to Scotland once every 12-months to see my Dad's side of the family (he's originally from Glasgow, but he's lived in North Wales for around 40-odd years now but you wouldn't know he was Scottish from talking to him) and I find that I don't so much pick up the accent but I speak at a Scottish rate of speech (if that makes any sense) and replace "yes" with "aye" sometimes. Things like that.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                      Way to redeem yourself, suse! Nicely done! )

On topic: Amanda was born in Essex, UK.
                      On topic: but raised in Canada.

I love the accent and totally buy into it. Then again, I'm not much of an accent expert. I could never fathom it when people refered to AT's Canadian accent in Stargate. As far as I could hear, she sounded perfectly normal to me!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I love the accent and totally buy into it. Then again, I'm not much of an accent expert. I could never fathom it when people refered to AT's Canadian accent in Stargate. As far as I could hear, she sounded perfectly normal to me!
                        Yep, I concur, she sounded totally normal
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

SGA - SciFi Channel Germany - Amanda Tapping Video Interview:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=3106
                          Anyone have a download for that? I've tried several servers since yesterday, but haven't gotten it to play yet.

Comment

I agree EH-T . I never saw her talkin' " Canadian " in Stargate. Or on the extras on the DVD. But if she did talk in a British accent it is, superb! But then, she has English parents. Paul McGillion talks with a Scottish accent on show but I think not in daily life.

Hell, you'll definatly notice my accent when I speak English. I can speak and write and read English IMHO well (not perfectly, since I'm not a native speaker) but my accent you definatly hear I'm a foreigner
                            But I know when somebody speaks English I know he's Flemish or Dutch.

I wonder how many accents Amanda can put out of that pretty mouth of her . British, American (or Canadian) so her normal accent when talking, maybe Southern, ... Amanda is so creative, not only in ideas but a lot of other stuff too

Thank you Ambermoon for the sigs!

Comment

i heard her canadian a couple of times. like in forsaken, when she calls 'helloooo' into the crashed ship

every once in a while that slightly nasal long O comes out

but that's about it
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                                Yep, I concur, she sounded totally normal
                                You two are judging normal?

I think it's only those of us that live near the border that pick up on Canadian "accents". I've met people from other parts of the country that have no idea what a Canadian accent is. Really it's just a difference in vowel pronounciations. Canadians use long vowel sounds where we use short and vice versa. The word 'progress' comes to mind.

Though don't get me started on the spelling.
                                Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                                William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                                Anon

Comment

Working...
                                X