Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    honestly? with a company like creation, they don't care. All they see is 'control, control, control and how DARE those fans have access we can't control and charge for'
    That attitude is why, when creation took over the cons, even though the set tour auction raised thousands of dollars for make a wish, they quashed them. Because why let those thousands go to charity when it can instead go to creation's bottom line? (and, to be fair i will say that creation goes donate to charity, just not quite at the proportion that gatecon did)

Things like this can also effect the actor's contract with creation. If the actor has an exclusive contract with the company, and the company finds out that the actors are still seeing and meeting with fans outside of the contract (events that, you know, creation can charge for and perpetrate the fine tradition of only the wealthy/willing to go into debt fans ever getting any cool stuff) creation can make things very difficult for said actor
    Just....don't trust creation any further than you can throw them. Cause the only thing that matters to them is their profit margin. No matter how much 'we're here for the fans' stuff they spout, it's all about the money for them. because they're a business and they gotta stay in business. and they won't stay in business if people can get the contact without going through them
    Ok...I read this late last night but was not in the right frame of mind to post then...ok I'm never in the right frame of mind but lets move on from there, shall we? I have to ask...are the actors aware of this problem with Creation and do they not have any control over what they want to do versus what Creation wants them to do??
    I won't speak badly of Creation or anything coz I really don't know them but I'd be very concerned about the actors. I mean really, if it weren't for the fans and the actors, where would Creation be? So why do the actors keep working with Creation?? I just needed to ask. Ok...back to our scheduled viewing!
    Originally posted by EH-T View Post
    LOL! So it's not just that we have more money than sense but that we have more money than sense and are dedicated! I don't disagree that it is somewhat crazy and, believe me, I thought long and hard about it. In the end it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, with the 4 of us coming from different countries we will never all be in Vancouver at the same time again. Who knows if this kind of opportunity will be offered again and the money is going to a very good cause. Besides, if one is not crazy once and a while life would be pretty dull.
    I agree. I'm really excited and happy for you guys. I mean when I first read about it I got all excited and told anyone who would listen...which was pretty much no one...except poor hubby and the kids had to listen to me babble on at the dinner table about it. I'm really happy for you guys...it's a great opportunity. God knows if i had the money, I'd have no problems in doing the same. The fact that the money raised is actually going to a good cause rather someones new car or boat is a bonus too!
    Really? Couldn't imagine doing such a thing as crashing someone else's party. Thanks for the heads up.
    Thanks to everyone for your kind congratulations.
    That's what sets you and I and pretty much most of the folks in here apart from other people. We wouldn't think about gate crashing anyone's party or dinner but sadly there are others out there who just don't care.
    I'm sure you all will have the most wonderful time. I hope that you will be able to share some if your experience with us...like some pics and what not!!
    Originally posted by EH-T View Post
    Nope but we did help the school get more money by bidding the price up. It's kind of like at AT3 where the second place bidder on the RDA call got the chance to get that prize as well. Our money is going to a new charity but we'll let Amanda release the details on that.
    Ah!! Well that's still cool.
    Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
    Thank you Rocky...now I know I asked this over there but I was wondering if anyone here knew...who the heck is the fella Amanda is with? He looks nice familiar.

Ok...so have a nice night all...take care and stay safe.
    (((Samandans)))

Is feeling much better today...there's a light at the end of this yucky tunnel!
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Happy Birthday Trupi!!

I know she doesn't pop in very often but I know she has visited here...and likes Sam as much as we do! And she's a lovely lovely person!!
      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Ok, based on the green I received for this, I think there are a few points that need clarifying. Some of you find it amusing. Is it because you think I'm joking? As for telling me just to eat the others' brains... what if I miss something!? What if I picked say... Antoa and she was too busy swooning over the camera to notice anything? Or Eh-T and she wandered off to the bathroom just as something really exciting happened? No, it will have to be all 4. *smooths napkin*

I love y'all really, I'm so excited for you!
        Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
          Ok, based on the green I received for this, I think there are a few points that need clarifying. Some of you find it amusing. Is it because you think I'm joking? As for telling me just to eat the others' brains... what if I miss something!? What if I picked say... Antoa and she was too busy swooning over the camera to notice anything? Or Eh-T and she wandered off to the bathroom just as something really exciting happened? No, it will have to be all 4. *smooths napkin*

I love y'all really, I'm so excited for you!
          I find things amusing regardless of whether they're an actual joke. If you'd like some help with recipe ideas with this, I reckon that I could rustle up something before the next two weeks are up...

Erm...I love the others too?
          sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

re the actors aware of this problem with Creation and do they not have any control over what they want to do versus what Creation wants them to do??
            it's ususally in their contract. Say an actor signs an exclusive contract with creation...which means 'ok, for the length of time specified, i'll only do creation cons', which gives creation the exclusive right to fans' access to this actor for a year (or however long it is)

and it all depends on how the contract is written. it can be written that the actor literally isnt' allowed to sign autographs for anyone unless it's signed through or at a con event. sometimes there's no clause like that. it literally varies from actor to actor, what they are willing to sign and what they aren't willing to sign

and the ultimate responsibility is usually on the actor. To use amanda for example, yes, she's doing the creation con, but she's also committed to a few fan cons this year, so it's rational to presume that either her contract with creation isn't exclusive or they knew about her other commitments and have no issue. (not prying into her business, just using the example that comes most easily to mind)

Other actors sign contracts that tie them to only one company.

it literally varies from con to con and actor to actor. the more popular an actor is, the more of a draw they are, and the more negotiating power they have. It's rational to presume if rick is coming to a con he can say 'yeah, i'd like things this way' and as long as that request is doable, the con organizers would be more likely to agree than if a lesser known actor were to make the same demand (using gatecon for example, rick was able to have Paul Brown and his crew handle his parts, but i could guess if Kavan Smith were to make teh same requests they'd have been less likely to agree to it)

Ultimately, it's the actor's responsibility to honor their contractual commitments. And it's very possible that creation already knows about the auction lunch. Then again, no need to borrow trouble for anyone. Because even if something isn't an issue for this year, it could become one in the future.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It's all business, for Creation, other con organizers (unless fan run I guess) and the actors. Everyone has to make a living.

Meg and I had already bought our 4 () Amanda photo ops from Creation before we even knew about the auction. So Creation can´t complain!

Neep .... you mean ... someone of our little group suggested you eat the others brain?? Wish I had thought of it What kind of friends are they. Lol.
              sigpic

Comment

No, it will have to be all 4. *smooths napkin*
                With some fava beans and a nice Chianti?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post

Neep .... you mean ... someone of our little group suggested you eat the others brain?? Wish I had thought of it What kind of friends are they. Lol.
                  yes... turn on each other... that's the way. Hehe, I was going to say "3 guesses" but considering the size of the group...
                  Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Just reading through the last few pages I wanted to offer my congrats to the 4 of you. I hope that you all have a wonderful time (I'm sure you will!) and it will be an unforgettable experience. I too look forward to any reports you can post afterwards.
                    sigpic

Comment

yeah, i envy you. i did get the chance to see the SG1 set through the gatecon auctions, but yeah, those were sunday am and a sleeping set. the only 'action' going on was us the staff that volunteered to come in and watch over us

my ultimate fantasy would have to seen it working. Something that i knew and know will never happen.
                      That would have been great. I'll get to see the (empty) sets as part of the con but from what I understand a lot of the SG1 stuff has been dismantled. The Sanctuary tour will make up for that disappointment.

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                      Happy Birthday Trupi!!

I know she doesn't pop in very often but I know she has visited here...and likes Sam as much as we do! And she's a lovely lovely person!!
                      Ditto! And belated Happy Birthday Kes! (I think I missed that one )

it's ususally in their contract. Say an actor signs an exclusive contract with creation...which means 'ok, for the length of time specified, i'll only do creation cons', which gives creation the exclusive right to fans' access to this actor for a year (or however long it is)

and it all depends on how the contract is written. it can be written that the actor literally isnt' allowed to sign autographs for anyone unless it's signed through or at a con event. sometimes there's no clause like that. it literally varies from actor to actor, what they are willing to sign and what they aren't willing to sign

and the ultimate responsibility is usually on the actor. To use amanda for example, yes, she's doing the creation con, but she's also committed to a few fan cons this year, so it's rational to presume that either her contract with creation isn't exclusive or they knew about her other commitments and have no issue. (not prying into her business, just using the example that comes most easily to mind)

Other actors sign contracts that tie them to only one company.

it literally varies from con to con and actor to actor. the more popular an actor is, the more of a draw they are, and the more negotiating power they have. It's rational to presume if rick is coming to a con he can say 'yeah, i'd like things this way' and as long as that request is doable, the con organizers would be more likely to agree than if a lesser known actor were to make the same demand (using gatecon for example, rick was able to have Paul Brown and his crew handle his parts, but i could guess if Kavan Smith were to make teh same requests they'd have been less likely to agree to it)

Ultimately, it's the actor's responsibility to honor their contractual commitments. And it's very possible that creation already knows about the auction lunch. Then again, no need to borrow trouble for anyone. Because even if something isn't an issue for this year, it could become one in the future.
                      Interesting. Creation billed Amanda's appearances as coming back after a long absence. I wonder if this was part of the reason? Can't see Amanda liking being dicated to as to what interaction she can and cannot have with fans.

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post

yes... turn on each other... that's the way. Hehe, I was going to say "3 guesses" but considering the size of the group...

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Interesting. Creation billed Amanda's appearances as coming back after a long absence. I wonder if this was part of the reason? Can't see Amanda liking being dicated to as to what interaction she can and cannot have with fans.
                        me neither. Then again, like some other actors, they tell you what to do only as much as you let them tell you what to do. and if they (the con company) want your participation enough, they won't force you to do something you don't want to.

and, as long as any actor doesn't sign an exclusive or non-compete contract, they can do whatever they want. It's all in what you sign and what you have the personal power to be able to say no to.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                          *snippage*

Thank you Rocky...now I know I asked this over there but I was wondering if anyone here knew...who the heck is the fella Amanda is with? He looks nice familiar.

Ok...so have a nice night all...take care and stay safe.
                          (((Samandans)))

Is feeling much better today...there's a light at the end of this yucky tunnel!
                          That's Jason from Ghost Hunters.

Comment

me neither. Then again, like some other actors, they tell you what to do only as much as you let them tell you what to do. and if they (the con company) want your participation enough, they won't force you to do something you don't want to.

and, as long as any actor doesn't sign an exclusive or non-compete contract, they can do whatever they want. It's all in what you sign and what you have the personal power to be able to say no to.
                            True about the actor contracts, they negotiate for what they can and can not (or will not) do.

As for the 4 gals going the Sanctuary set and having lunch, if it's during the same weekend as the Creation SG1/SGA con, the reason I said don't let Creation know is because from what I understood of the intial post, there was no mention of any auction or other con company involved. Creation does not like when FANS try to gather together and hold their own parties because as Sky said, Creation doesn't get any of the money.
                            Last edited by SunKrux; 23 March 2009, 09:26 AM.
                            sigpic
                            I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
                              True about the actor contracts, they negotiate for what they can and can not (or will not) do.

As for the 4 gals going the Sanctuary set and having lunch, if it's during the same weekend as the Creation SG1/SGA con, the reason I said don't let Creation know is because from what I understood of the intial post, there was no mention of any auction or other con company involved. Creation does not like when FANS try to gather together and hold their own parties because as Sky said, Creation doesn't get any of the money.
                              GW is having a dinner and a party the night of prereg and Creation is aware of the events and is doing nothing to stop them.

What I am getting at is I don't see how this tour is any of their business. Based on the fact that AT is doing more than just Creation Cons this year, I would assume that there wasn't any sort of exclusivity clause in any contract (though that really none of our business anyway). I do get that sometimes they don't exactly follow the 'rational' path, but really, the only way this is even remotely related to their event is that the Convention was the reason why the 4 of us were going to be in the city at the same time.

Anyway, thank you all for sharing in our squee and I promise to try and write a coherent report, but it might just end up being a series of pictures

Comment

I want to congratulate those going on the tour and having lunch with Amanda

just remember, you are representing Samanda, a certain amout of decorum is to be expected...

Spoiler:

*you can decide who is who*

Shep (the fourth) must be in the bathroom

Have fun
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X