Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
    Thankfully I did not get dry sockets, but then I was pretty anal about rinsing like the doctor showed me and told me to do. Bummer you had it. I've heard it's painful.
    I was very careful as well and had had one successful extraction before. That's why I think it wasn't just me...

I wonder if Sam had to get her wisdom teeth out--maybe while at the AF Academy. Seems to be a late HS, early college age thing. Bet she toughed it out well. "I'm fine, sir."

Neep will want:

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
      I was very careful as well and had had one successful extraction before. That's why I think it wasn't just me...

I wonder if Sam had to get her wisdom teeth out--maybe while at the AF Academy. Seems to be a late HS, early college age thing. Bet she toughed it out well. "I'm fine, sir."

Neep will want:
      I didn't have mine out until I was in my 30s. No dentist up til then even mentioned removing them. I was totally knocked out, that's the way I wanted it. I've had too many root canals that they've had to stop in the middle of it and numb me up more...just knock me out please. I'm a wimp when it comes to pain like that.
      sigpic
      I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Hi I have a question about Sam that I hope someone here can answer. But if it is a wrong place to ask and I should go to a different thread, feel free to tell me. I can see you are busy talking about more exciting things..

I was wondering whether somebody on the show specifically stated that Sam is the best shot in SG-1? I recall no such thing, but it's almost in every fanfic I read, and is brought up by many Sam fans and I'm just curious where did it come from?
        I'm a big Sam fan myself but I just find it hard to believe that she'd be better at shooting than Teal'c or Jack, who was a sniper. So I guess what I'm asking is, is it a fanon or canon?
        Can somebody help?
        There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
        sigpic
        awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
          RE: wisdom teeth. Had all four done the first day of spring break years ago. As everyone else said, rinse, rinse, rinse and soft foods. I was good to go after about 4 days. Best of luck.
          Jenn wonders if she should mention (in spoilers in case you don't want negative experiences clouding your choice):
          Spoiler:
          I ended up with a mixed aerobic/anaerobic infection, the later organism the pathologists never could identify. Was in bed and on antibiotics for almost two weeks, with my face swollen up too ... very big.

OTOH, this is sort of an argument for getting them all done at once, cause the infection wasn't really worse for three sites of entry and systemic antibiotics are systemic antibiotics. I also tend to get infections easily, having had them as a result of things from surgeries to ear piercings (though not when I stabbed myself an inch deep in the hand with a dirty kitchen knife and washed and bandaged it at hom go figure) so I wouldn't worry too much.

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
            Hi I have a question about Sam that I hope someone here can answer. But if it is a wrong place to ask and I should go to a different thread, feel free to tell me. I can see you are busy talking about more exciting things..

I was wondering whether somebody on the show specifically stated that Sam is the best shot in SG-1? I recall no such thing, but it's almost in every fanfic I read, and is brought up by many Sam fans and I'm just curious where did it come from?
            I'm a big Sam fan myself but I just find it hard to believe that she'd be better at shooting than Teal'c or Jack, who was a sniper. So I guess what I'm asking is, is it a fanon or canon?
            Can somebody help?
            I think it's fanon. But Jack's being a sniper is also fanon to the best of my knowledge (special ops does not automatically equal sniper). I would, however, suspect she's a better shot than Teal'c as a staff weapon is likely very different to shoot than a P-90. As for whether shes a better shot than Jack... that sounds like a question for a bad fanfic

Comment

well, she did pretty good in Warrior

jack's skills are....whatever the plot demanded and rick wanted. that's why jack became a pilot - despite never wearing wings - rick wanted him to be a pilot and it worked for the episode at hand.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

jack's skills are....whatever the plot demanded and rick wanted. that's why jack became a pilot - despite never wearing wings - rick wanted him to be a pilot and it worked for the episode at hand.
                Yes that episode did mention that Sam was a 'marksman' I believe.
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Can somebody help?
                  Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                  I think it's fanon. But Jack's being a sniper is also fanon to the best of my knowledge (special ops does not automatically equal sniper). I would, however, suspect she's a better shot than Teal'c as a staff weapon is likely very different to shoot than a P-90. As for whether shes a better shot than Jack... that sounds like a question for a bad fanfic

Sam has a Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon and seeing as she demonstrated a particularly hard shot in Warrior I think we can take it as canon* that she is an expert shot. Whether she is better than Jack or Teal'c? It's quite possible.

* I normally don't take any prop/set dec/costuming as necessarily canon unless it's referred to or shown specifically in an episode.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                    Sam has a Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon and seeing as she demonstrated a particularly hard shot in Warrior I think we can take it as canon* that she is an expert shot. Whether she is better than Jack or Teal'c? It's quite possible.

* I normally don't take any prop/set dec/costuming as necessarily canon unless it's referred to or shown specifically in an episode.

Thank you all for the replies It really helps.

As for Jack, he was shown at least twice (Metamorphosis and Orpheus) shooting a sniper rifle, and I think I read on Arduinna's site he has marksmanship ribbons on his uniform, or something to this effect. (however I don't even pretend to know much about military uniforms/decorations/ribbons etc.) So I'd say it's canon.
                    I think you've got a point about Sam being better than Teal'c though
                    There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                    sigpic
                    awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Thank you all for the replies It really helps.

As for Jack, he was shown at least twice (Metamorphosis and Orpheus) shooting a sniper rifle, and I think I read on Arduinna's site he has marksmanship ribbons on his uniform, or something to this effect. (however I don't even pretend to know much about military uniforms/decorations/ribbons etc.) So I'd say it's canon.
                      I think you've got a point about Sam being better than Teal'c though
                      But is she better than Cam? Remember he was in Black Ops too
                      /runs from the thread

Comment

I just checked with hubs. In special ops, expert marksmanship is required. So it can be assumed Jack had it too.

EDIT: And, because it's a given with special ops guys, they generally didn't wear all their marksmanship awards on their uniforms cause it looked stupid. (that's a quote)

EDIT2: This also means, of course, Cam is too. I always figured the bit in Warriors was to prove the person on the team the sexist Jaffa would least respect naturally as a marskman was better than their best.

Comment

that would be a conundrum

imagine season one sam...full of hero worship of a sort for colonel o'neill, and it's shooting range time....does she try to out do him? or does she carefully make sure that she scores juuuussstttt under him, proving that she's just as good as him without risking the potentially fragile male ego by having a girl beat him?

sigpic

Comment

imagine season one sam...full of hero worship of a sort for colonel o'neill, and it's shooting range time....does she try to out do him? or does she carefully make sure that she scores juuuussstttt under him, proving that she's just as good as him without risking the potentially fragile male ego by having a girl beat him?
                            Season 1 Sam? I think she'd go all out to prove how good she was.
                            -

Comment

Season 1 Sam? I think she'd go all out to prove how good she was.
                              Yea, I think early Sam would want to prove herself...and Sam does have a competitive streak in her (I think)
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

she does....but she also really, really wanted to be on the team, knew she was only there cause hammond said she had to be there and, not only wanted to prove herself, also didn't want to tick her boss off to the point that he got rid of her

The male ego is a fragile thing, and when you're in a male dominated atmosphere like the armed forces, as a female, you learn to manipulate and work with it instead of against it

in early season one, sam didn't know jack. didn't know if he was fair or reasonable, so would she err on the side of caution?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X