Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chocdoc
    I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I was just curious how people thought the opening credits should go. I've seen lots of views on this (the latest is the thread on New Opening Sequence Ideas in Season nine). I'm wondering how you think it should go and then how you think it will go, given the industry.

I would say that it should go:

SG1
    Amanda Tapping
    Christopher Judge
    Ben Browder
    Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson
    And then something like Beau Bridges as General Hank Landry

Here is how I am afraid it will go:

SG1
    Ben Browder
    Amanda Tapping
    Christopher Judge
    Beau Bridges as ....

I think that the industry is too scared to have a female as the first actor named after the title of the show in scifi. I know that this is all worked out by the actors' agents, but I was curious what you thought.

I guess is gets me that some fans automatically assume that BB will be first---if so it is like demoting AT and CJ in the credits in this case (provided that MS stays in his current position). To me, this would be extremely ironic and grossly unfair, given that AT and CJ are the two that have been there all eight years. Don't get me wrong. I like BB and think he is a good actor, but I don't think he should have lead status above the other three. RDA, AT, MS, and CJ are the four reasons (and the writers!) that the show is STILL a success, not BB.

I agree with both of your line-ups, chocdoc - the one I'd like to see and the one which will probably happen. But they could surprise us and do a single line with both AT's and BB's names together at the top or staggered somehow so that neither really has top billing. I could live with that.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      Honestly if they were smart, it would simply go by alphabetical order...

Ben Browder
      Christopher Judge
      Michael Shanks
      Amanda Tapping

and it should say 'staring in alphabetical order' so as to avoid anyone feeling that any of the four outranked the others. I know Shanks was placed in the category of 'As Daniel Jackson' for season seven and eight but honestly with RDA gone I don't really think any of them should get top billing over the others. If they are truly an ensemble cast then portray them as such in the billing.
      You know.....that sounds like the least combative thing to do.....a pretty good idea.....

Comment

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I was just curious how people thought the opening credits should go. I've seen lots of views on this (the latest is the thread on New Opening Sequence Ideas in Season nine). I'm wondering how you think it should go and then how you think it will go, given the industry.

SG1
        Amanda Tapping
        Christopher Judge
        Ben Browder

SG1
        Ben Browder
        Amanda Tapping
        Christopher Judge
        Beau Bridges as ....

I think that the industry is too scared to have a female as the first actor named after the title of the show in scifi. I know that this is all worked out by the actors' agents, but I was curious what you thought.

I guess is gets me that some fans automatically assume that BB will be first---if so it is like demoting AT and CJ in the credits in this case (provided that MS stays in his current position). To me, this would be extremely ironic and grossly unfair, given that AT and CJ are the two that have been there all eight years. Don't get me wrong. I like BB and think he is a good actor, but I don't think he should have lead status above the other three. RDA, AT, MS, and CJ are the four reasons (and the writers!) that the show is STILL a success, not BB.
        I'd like to see AT listed first, too, but beings that she's missing the first 5 episodes, I doubt that they'll list her first. They will probably list BB first - they are vamping his presence and his role as if he were another RDA lead actor for the show. I doubt they'll put him before the title, but I'll bet he'll be the first listed afterwards.

So I'm thinking it will probably be

Ben Browder
        Christopher Judge
        Amanda Tapping
        and Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson

or
        Beb Browder
        Christopher Judge
        Michael Shanks
        Amanda Tapping
        (if they want to go alphabetical)

or
        maybe they will give Michael Shanks top billing?
        followed by Ben Browder?
        and then CS and AT?

Comment

SG1
          Amanda Tapping
          Christopher Judge
          Ben Browder

SG1
          Ben Browder
          Amanda Tapping
          Christopher Judge
          Beau Bridges as ....

i'm not sure how it's going to go, but this is how i 'want' it to go. and this seems very fair to me too.

stargate sg1
          amanda tapping
          christopher judge
          michael shanks
          and ben browder as colonel cameron mitchell

it's based on who's been on the longest. and since the 'and' is multi-useful, give it to the new guy that doesn't want to come off last place. i don't think anyone should go before the title (that's for ppl of rda's statis), but i also don't think anyone should be demoted in the ranking. i honestly think this is fair.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            i'm not sure how it's going to go, but this is how i 'want' it to go. and this seems very fair to me too.

stargate sg1
            amanda tapping
            christopher judge
            michael shanks
            and ben browder as colonel cameron mitchell

it's based on who's been on the longest. and since the 'and' is multi-useful, give it to the new guy that doesn't want to come off last place. i don't think anyone should go before the title (that's for ppl of rda's statis), but i also don't think anyone should be demoted in the ranking. i honestly think this is fair.

sally
            I think I'll go with Kat on this one...I can live with "Starring in Alphabetical Order"...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Hubby just came in and saw the what we were talking about, and said, "Why don't you let their agents fight that out? That's what they get the big bucks for."

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                I agree with you, with one exception. I would say that it should go:

SG1
                Amanda Tapping
                Christopher Judge
                Ben Browder
                Beau Bridges
                and Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson

I've always heard people like to be either the headliner.....or be set apart as special by being last.....but I could be wrong. I too will be upset if anyone gets billing over AT. Do you think Lexa Doig will be included in the opening sequence? I really don't think so, but it had crossed my mind.

Yes, this makes more sense because then AT and MS would really have fairly equal status in the credits. I don't think Lexa Doig will be included, similar to TR, because of the recurring status.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                  Hubby just came in and saw the what we were talking about, and said, "Why don't you let their agents fight that out? That's what they get the big bucks for."
                  Aw but then what would we have to talk about? I might even be forced to go finish up the laundry before bed.

As for Beau Bridges and Lexa Doig, I would think they would get the same billing Don and Teryl had seeing as they are suppose to be recurring characters but not necessarily in every episode. Not sure though.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    if any samandan is going, here's hoping that they ask some sam questions

I promise on a stack of empty Blue Jello boxes to be a good Samandan and ask as many Sam questions as possible.
                    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Honestly if they were smart, it would simply go by alphabetical order...

Ben Browder
                      Christopher Judge
                      Michael Shanks
                      Amanda Tapping

and it should say 'staring in alphabetical order' so as to avoid anyone feeling that any of the four outranked the others. I know Shanks was placed in the category of 'As Daniel Jackson' for season seven and eight but honestly with RDA gone I don't really think any of them should get top billing over the others. If they are truly an ensemble cast then portray them as such in the billing.

But I'd be very surprised if they put Amanda in top billing, just because she will be missing five episodes of the season. I actually thought I had read somewhere that because she was not in all twenty episodes that she would actually be considered a recurring role and not a lead but I may be wrong in the assumption.

This could work too, but I don't think that AT should not get top billing because of maternity leave. It is different to me if an actor cuts back for other reasons, but for maternity and actually paternity leave, that seems discriminatory to not give top billing because of this, particularly if the actor comes back full-time after leave.

The only place I have read that AT is recurring is at one site that is not very fond of Sam. I have never heard this from any producer, director, or AT herself. We've heard about Rainbow Franks changing from regular to recurring, but no official statement has ever come out that AT is recurring only.

Forgot to say, alphabetical might not work though because MS would lose his "as" standing at the end which is a good position in the credits I think. So, he would get "demoted" doing it this way.

Comment

Aw but then what would we have to talk about? I might even be forced to go finish up the laundry before bed.
                        Absolutely, ForeverSg1! However, since it is bedtime for me (right after Letterman's monologue), I'll bid you all a good night. 6:15a comes much too early.

Happy SG dreams!

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                          I promise on a stack of empty Blue Jello boxes to be a good Samandan and ask as many Sam questions as possible.

Ah, that's the best news I've heard in awhile, tsaxlady!!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                            I think I'll go with Kat on this one...I can live with "Starring in Alphabetical Order"...
                            well, i can live with it (if i'm forced to), but i don't want to.

how long has rda been cutting back his schedule? and season's 8 and 9 he was literally a recurring character. and yet, he still got billing above the title. amanda missing five eps (especially because of materity leave) should not have a detrimental influence against her.

i still say keep it the way it's been, just bumping everyone up a notch in the rankings. ms would have been in amanda's position, but he wasn't there in season 6 as a regular. i've always felt he got 'and' so it wouldn't come off as him being in last place. that 'and' reminds me of putting an attention-getting flag on someone's name. but that's why i think it should now go to ben browder because he's been brought in to replace rda as 'leading man', but he's still a newcomer to this show and shouldn't be the reason of everyone else getting bumped down the ranking ladder. the flag should go to ben now, in my opinion.

i have absolutely no idea how it's all going to go, this is just how i want it to and how i feel would be fair for 'everyone' involved.

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              well, i can live with it (if i'm forced to), but i don't want to.

how long has rda been cutting back his schedule? and season's 8 and 9 he was literally a recurring character. and yet, he still got billing above the title. amanda missing five eps (especially because of materity leave) should not have a detrimental influence against her.

i still say keep it the way it's been, just bumping everyone up a notch in the rankings. ms would have been in amanda's position, but he wasn't there in season 6 as a regular. i've always felt he got 'and' so it wouldn't come off as him being in last place. that 'and' reminds me of putting an attention-getting flag on someone's name. but that's why i think it should now go to ben browder because he's been brought in to replace rda as 'leading man', but he's still a newcomer to this show and shouldn't be the reason of everyone else getting bumped down the ranking ladder. the flag should go to ben now, in my opinion.

i have absolutely no idea how it's all going to go, this is just how i want it to and how i feel would be fair for 'everyone' involved.

sally
                              *sniff*

Does NO ONE have anything to say about my wallpaper???

*goes to whine in utter loneliness*

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                                *sniff*

Does NO ONE have anything to say about my wallpaper???

*goes to whine in utter loneliness*
                                oh, sorry!... the wallpaper in your bathroom is beautiful! oops, wrong room? well, the wallpaper in your hallway is great! wait, you mean the sam wallpaper on this thread?! oooohh.... yeah, it's alright, if you like that amanda's stunning and the creativity is wonderful kind of thing.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X