Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
    Good vid, you know, I was waiting the entire time for you to mention Amanda, and then boom, you saved the best for last . if that were me, I would have spent the whole vid talking about Amanda. I wrote that same thing in the message box.

Well said, Amanda was great in that episode, it was so interesting actually seeing cry over losing Janet and almost losing Jack. I've always been amazed with Amanda's acting and I think for the viewers and fans to see Sam in such pain and sorrow really lets us see a side to Sam we don't see often, and it allows us to connect with her even more. It tells us-- yes, she's human, and she can be hurt in more ways than one, but it lets us get closer to the character. Plus like Amanda said at CC, the episode had everything, no wonder why she says it's her favorite episode . Btw, sorry it makes you cry Kate. *Hugs*

WOW, WOW, WOW lucky you . Have fun kate, you deserve it , and I'm really happy for you, but just don't let this happen when you meet Amanda -

Or this-

And definitely not this -

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do fine. *Thumbs up*
    eek, i hope not! lol!!!
    --Kate

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1 View Post
      Double hooray: Amanda's gonna be in NYC for a premiere of SANCTUARY! Been OMGOMGOMG! since I found out half hour ago and started calling my fellow Amandans!

Just sayin', AT on the East Coast - OMG! And so sorry if this is old news to Samandans; been so off the boards lately!
      REALLY?! . Whoa, that's huge, I didn't know she's was going to NYC for a/the premiere of Sanctuary . Where did you hear this?

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
        In agreement about the bold sentence, the only time Amanda was allowed to show Sam's emotions it was overblown romantic tosh, I would have loved see more of Replicater Carter, more variety for her skills, loved to see her flex her acting muscles properly rather than just when she was mooning over 'Sir'. Even loosing her best friend and her Dad, it had to be all about the greatest love story ever told, yawn, rather than using those events to add to Sam's depth and give Amanda chance to show us what those losses really meant. More "Line in the Sand" please (though the make up team let her down in this one, Amanda's natural good looks and glowing health showed through way too much) her acting was top notch, you could feel Sam's pain.
        Hmm, I really wouldn't say that all of Sam's emotional moments have been related to romance. I think she had some great emotional moments with her Dad and Martouf in The Tok'ra and I loved her scenes in 2010 with Janet and Joe. And Line in the Sand, as you mentioned.

I'm not really a 'shipper (as I understand the term) so I didn't see those moments between Sam and Jack in after Janet's death in Heroes and Jacob's in Threads as being related to any romance. I guess I saw it more as Sam losing a member of her family and taking comfort from the family she still had.

Oh, and for those interested in Sanctuary, SciFi has a Behind the Scenes video with the cast and a Q&A with AT up on their website.

sigpic

Comment

REALLY?! . Whoa, that's huge, I didn't know she's was going to NYC for a/the premiere of Sanctuary . Where did you hear this?
          Oop, forgot to put the link; corrected now. Just that the Sanctuary site has been inaccessible (to me?) but here, again - (http://www.mtr.org/ny-fall-series-2008-sanctuary/).

Just sayin', hope I can sleep now so I can run for tickets tomorrow!
          MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
          sigpic
          Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
            Oh, and for those interested in Sanctuary, SciFi has a Behind the Scenes video with the cast and a Q&A with AT up on their website.
            I'm already there - Sanctuary at Sci-fi, A New World and Amanda Tapping Q&A - Part 1

Comment

Uh oh, somethings wrong, appearently the vids don't work . Any ideas anyone?

Comment

If you watch from the front site, the Q & A works.
                Jenni

Comment

Hmm, I really wouldn't say that all of Sam's emotional moments have been related to romance. I think she had some great emotional moments with her Dad and Martouf in The Tok'ra and I loved her scenes in 2010 with Janet and Joe. And Line in the Sand, as you mentioned.

I'm not really a 'shipper (as I understand the term) so I didn't see those moments between Sam and Jack in after Janet's death in Heroes and Jacob's in Threads as being related to any romance. I guess I saw it more as Sam losing a member of her family and taking comfort from the family she still had.
                  Right. And what about Singularity, Meridian and Revelation? They were not related to romance. Come to think of it, I can't name one episode in which she did not show emotion. Her humanity is one of the things I like about her character.

Comment

Gooooooooooooooooood afffftttttterrrrrrnoooooooonnnnnnnnnn everybody!!

He he he on a slight high, we just won our hockey grand final today!! WOOT!!! Sunburnt as anything...ah well....

I had THE funniest Amanda dream to date last night!!! I woke up in hysterics!
                    I wish that you could see what goes on in my head....ah actually that might be awkward....but it was hilarious!! Amanda was being interviewed by someone and I think it was at a con or something of the sort cause there was a crowd, and I remember I kept thinking if there were fellow Samandans in the audience...anywho so the interview somehow turned into a kind of musical and Amanda got up on the stage and did this dance performance routine thing in the style of "Chicago" get-up. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. She had all these jazz and tap moves and looked like something Fred and Ginger might have done. Also, she was a really amazing dancer hahahah. I woke up then and couldn't go back to sleep cause I was laughing too hard......
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post

By the way, anyone sitting on the fence about going to see Amanda at the con in Vancouver in April, there is a notice in the con thread that only 40 gold tickets are left. They have just announced Joe F as an additional guest. So if you are planning to go you may want to order your ticket now.
                      Already have tickets for Chicago. Hopefully Joe will come there too. He was supposed to a couple years ago but had to cancel.

Were you coming to Chicago?

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      she used to say, like when she did POV and au 'sam' had to cry, that she'd get herself depressed and 'in the mood' to cry, then would spend the time between scenes on her own to keep the mood and to be able to perform
                      Hadn't heard that before. That's probably the only times she would ever be "antisocial". I can see why she would need to isolate herself to work up the emotions.

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1 View Post
                      Double hooray: Amanda's gonna be in NYC for a premiere of SANCTUARY! Been OMGOMGOMG! since I found out half hour ago and started calling my fellow Amandans! (http://www.mtr.org/ny-fall-series-2008-sanctuary/)

Just sayin', AT on the East Coast - OMG! And so sorry if this is old news to Samandans; been so off the boards lately!
                      I SOOOOO wish I could go. I'll have to settle for my own premiere party.

She'll be at the Paley Center on the 2nd.

She's had quite a year! I think she's traveled more for promotional stuff this year than all the previous years combined. And she'll be involved in post with Sanctuary, so she won't even get a break with filming being done.
                      Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                      William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                      Anon

Comment

Originally posted by jz9 View Post
                        Right. And what about Singularity, Meridian and Revelation? They were not related to romance. Come to think of it, I can't name one episode in which she did not show emotion. Her humanity is one of the things I like about her character.
                        Oh, yes, the elevator scene. I still think that's such an awesome moment when she kicks the wall and then decides to go back down.

I would agree that Carter had plenty of episodes where she showed emotion. I think, though, that for the most part her moments were smaller beats of the feel it and move on variety whereas O'Neill and Daniel got a lot of the focus. The narrative never dwelled or focused on Carter as much unless it was a more Carter-centric episode like LitS.

How about some other displays of emotion (any emotion that's not romantic) from Carter? Fire and Water, of course, she grieved. Great empathy for Daniel in Gamekeeper. Uneasiness and more than a little bit of fear in Thor's Chariot and Seth regarding using ribbon devices.

I'm sure there's more. Anyone else wanna play?

Comment

Originally posted by sbz View Post
                          I think, though, that for the most part her moments were smaller beats of the feel it and move on variety whereas O'Neill and Daniel got a lot of the focus. The narrative never dwelled or focused on Carter as much unless it was a more Carter-centric episode like LitS.
                          True. But AT was so good that even without the focus she still made an impact.

Originally posted by sbz View Post
                          How about some other displays of emotion (any emotion that's not romantic) from Carter? Fire and Water, of course, she grieved. Great empathy for Daniel in Gamekeeper. Uneasiness and more than a little bit of fear in Thor's Chariot and Seth regarding using ribbon devices.

I'm sure there's more. Anyone else wanna play?
                          Angry in Foothold & 48 Hours. Happy in Small Victory. Frustrated in Paradise Lost. Fear in Redemption. Regret in Unnatural Selection.

Comment

Originally posted by jz9 View Post
                            True. But AT was so good that even without the focus she still made an impact.
                            Absolutely. Which is the mark of a good actor - doing lots with a little bit whether it be time or material.

Comment

Uh oh, somethings wrong, appearently the vids don't work . Any ideas anyone?
                              Originally posted by LilFerret View Post
                              If you watch from the front site, the Q & A works.
                              Evening all...just running in and back out again extra quick.
                              I'm not sure why but I can't get the Q&A to work but had no problems with the New World clip...it just seems to be taking forever to load...dang!!
                              Anyhoo, gotta choof...have a great weekend everyone! We had our first bbq of the season...and also the first bbq dinner in the new house...Spring has definitely arrived!!
                              Night all!!
                              (((Samandans)))
                              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Good vid, you know, I was waiting the entire time for you to mention Amanda, and then boom, you saved the best for last . if that were me, I would have spent the whole vid talking about Amanda. I wrote that same thing in the message box.
                                Hehe, thanks.

Originally posted by john_and_teyla_for_life View Post
                                on another note..... I'm going to Vancouver in April. oh. my god. I'M GONNA MEET AMANDA FOR THE FIRST TIME, EVERYBODY!!!
                                AWESOME! I know the feeling.

Comment

Working...
                                X