Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    the writing has been very sloppy, ever since season 7 in my opinion. and it just got worse as the years wore on.

not explaining where jack was, not adequately explaining where sam was in s9, the whole co-leaders fiasco, nepotism of daddy/daughter in the same chain of command just so they could stick in a soap opera angle of lam/landry angst and they toyed with cam/lam ship.
    the silliness of bounty and family ties, the idiocy of beaming a sky scraper out of a city??? And do we even want to discuss the clones?????

Basically, the boys spun stories and didn't look much beyond the stories themselves. they seemed to ignore the framework that those stories were set in, thus they seemed to ignore little things like AF regs and the dichotomy of a top secret project vs aliens running around kansas and fell back on the plot device of 'we signed a non disclosure'

Basically, the writers just cranked out stuff and didn't seem to look beyond week to week.

and, in a lot of this, Sam took the brunt of it. In my very non-objective opinion, it felt like she was 'punished' for inconveniencing them with maternity leave. Once she returned in s9 (and wasn't even given a decent reason for being gone while daniel's actor takes a couple of episodes off and he gets a whole plot arc), what the writers may have meant as 'let's give the new mommy time off' seemed to be more of 'yeah, well, give her some technobabble and stick her in the corner'

Teal'c suffered. in s6 especially, the addition of jonas allowed him to move from 'silent alien muscle and convenient holder of 'i once heard a legend about.....' info dump', into a more mentoring role. then that development was lost and, especially in s9 and 10, teal'c was just there to be tortured, cameron was just there to be whumped on, sam was just there to babble.

The sam character has always been highly criticized, because for every fan of sam, there's a few that just do not like the character and take issue with everything she does. and that is thier right, i'm not saying that. They're entitled to their opinions just as we are. However, in thier passionate pursuit of 'all things sam does wrong' it means that every little thing she does will be twisted and spun into being wrong. The same leeway and latitude that vala got as to her behavior, sam got the polar opposite, as in zero leeway at all.

and the writers just exacerbate that when they do things like - with mis written words - imply that jack can promote sam on a whim 'for services rendered' , or that she's so incompetant that it's okay and perfectly fine being put second to an inexperienced male simply because 'that's the normal way of things'.

So, if you like sam, you just have to accept that those that dislike her are just as devoted to those that like her. that their opinions are just as valid, and you just ignore them, let them be, and simply immerse yourself in your own enjoyment.
    Great post Sky well said!
    Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
    It wasn't the newbies fault that the show is now gone. The newbies were to some, brought in to try and breath new life into the show. I'm with Sky, the writing got sloppy and they tried to distract by bringing in Claudia and Ben. Sadly that plan didn't do much, except cause some fans to be rather nasty towards Ben and Claudia like it was their fault. It's not their fault any more than it's Amanda's fault that there are so many "anti-sams" out there. They're just actors. They do what their told, stand where their told. If any blame needs to be placed on why the show went down hill, it's the writers and producers...they got sloppy.
    Yeah I agree, there's a character I really don't like but I blame the way the character was written not the actor.

Julia(samcarterrules)
    sigpic
    Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

the writing has been very sloppy, ever since season 7 in my opinion. and it just got worse as the years wore on.

not explaining where jack was, not adequately explaining where sam was in s9, the whole co-leaders fiasco, nepotism of daddy/daughter in the same chain of command just so they could stick in a soap opera angle of lam/landry angst and they toyed with cam/lam ship.
      the silliness of bounty and family ties, the idiocy of beaming a sky scraper out of a city??? And do we even want to discuss the clones?????
      You mean there aren't aliens in Kansas?!?!?!

I could have sworn I saw some living near the Capitol area when I lived there

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        I couldn't agree with you more
        Nope, it wasn't Claudia nor Ben as the "newbie's" fault. I areee with a number of you who said that the writing did get rather sloppy towards the end of the run. There were a number of episodes where all five cast members were clicking and the show was good. I know the actors can't do a whole lot when the script prevents them. Even when Amanda suggested to the writers that Sam wouldn't kiss Pete on duty right at the scene where all the action had just occurred they went ahead and shot it anyway. I think Claudia and Ben did the best with what was given to them.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mandysg1
          I did a fic where Sam got slashed with a sword with major whump, not impaled though

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
          OOOO.. Linky.
          Sure, here ya go

Getting to Know You
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I gets no respect.
            But you gets lots of lurv and hugs.

Originally posted by Amanda_Tapping_Fan View Post
            Shakespeare aye......He must of been a brunette.....
            Yeppers he was.

Didn't you know that one was a Decoy??? Sky's still got the real one
            Actually that was the real one. Sky only has one...well she only had one...but it's gone now. <weg>
            sigpic
            I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

I gets no respect.
              How can anyone not respect you, Sky, especially when you whip that noodle?
              Last edited by Sg Gato; 12 June 2008, 03:09 PM.

Much credit to Replicatertje and Ann Sgc_Fan for their lovely sigs

Comment

In response to the comments about 'sloppy' writing in later seasons.......

The two-parters still seemed to be pretty good later on. What is it about two-parters that is so different for the writers? More total writers involved? It is a 'big' story, so BW is more involved? There is more time to explore several avenues/arcs of stories? Bigger budget for everything?

I'm not a creative writer, so would have no idea. I've only written 'technical' stuff for my career.

And to keep this on topic.......Has anyone ever noticed a difference in AT's acting in single episodes vs two-parters? Different level of intensity? More depth?

Also, other than certain things about Sam's character, has AT ever contributed to writing any of the episodes or story lines?

Comment

Trust me, Sky's noodle is real.

I have the scars to prove it and I haven't said that bad word since she smacked with it (They are just little friendly scars though )

Comment

Originally posted by Bekah See View Post
                    She got clobbered in Foothold and Evolution II, but I guess since it wasn't repeated torturous slugging, it didn't count?

Strix's fic Under Fire is very whumpy and has no slash.

Strix!!!

<<POKE>> <<POKE>>
                    Strix! We need another fic fix from you! How's it going?

suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Good morning campers!!!
                      Wow...I go to bed for a few hours to find yu all had fun while I was dreaming...interesting chatter here today...I'm still waking up so I'll try to be good
                      Originally posted by ames View Post
                      Wheeee - bubbles!!!
                      So ... shiny ... shiiiiiiiiiineeeeeeeeeeeeeeee LOL
                      Ok...me thinks Amy has lost it this time!
                      Originally posted by jz9 View Post
                      Thanks Chelle db, but the poll link does not work.
                      Sorry...I don't know why but you can find the poll at the bottom of the home page...sorry! :O
                      Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                      I'm with you. Loved the ep. And thought it made fun of everyone and everything equally. The puppets were hilarious. I start giggling long before they go through the gate, and when they go through and fall to the ground I'm on the floor laughing.
                      I thought the shower scene was just a tip of the hat to that invisibility fantasy that all boys/men have.
                      Didn't like the teen scene at all. Was the only part of the ep I didn't really enjoy. Could never even figure out what it was supposed to be a take-off of. (yes, I know I ended that sentence with a preposition )
                      I know where you're coming from, but he would have to data according to his "age" as far as the world could see. Mentally, they would be too young for him, but externally he was a teenage boy.
                      That's the thing with 200 for me...pretty much the whole ep had me laughing...except the teen scene...does anyone know why that was done??? I mean seriously...I don't even know if it was meant to be Sam and Cam kissing or if it was Jack...but how bizarre...it just did absolutely nothing for me.
                      But those puppets...when they fell to the ground...holy hannah...and Teal'c started laughing...yay!!!
                      The Farscape thing was well done...I mean Sam looked great...or should I say Amanda looked great...and I loved how Claudia/Vala played Aeryn...wasn't too crash hot with the Star Trek parody...but I loved and cracked up at the scene with Brad Wright!!
                      Oh..and I never thought about the Fragile Balance thing...I'm hoping that mini Jack, was more smitten by the fact that the girls loved him and as nice as that must be for him, that he would never act upon that...I can't imagine Jack wanting to entertain the thought of being with a young girl while having the thoughts and memories of an older man...I think I'm making no sense here...this is harder than it looks...uhm...I just never thought about the whole teenager thing verses the adult thing in that sense...I think to me it was more a case of he was happy to go through the whole school experience again and maybe enjoyed the attention from the girls but he wouldn't act on it...is that better???...oh man...I feel like I'm in a hole this morning...I need coffee!!!
                      I did a fic where Sam got slashed with a sword with major whump, not impaled though
                      Sure, here ya go
                      Getting to Know You
                      I was about to ask for a link and then I found this post...thank you Mandy!!
                      Nope it doesn't exist anymore, I ate it last night. Sky will have to get a new one I expect.
                      But now Sky will only want to get an even bigger, better version of the old one that you ate...with more bumps I wuld presume!!
                      Ewww...I just had a thought...she whacked a few Samandans with that old noodle...and you ate'd it...how's the tummy Sunny???
                      It wasn't the newbies fault that the show is now gone. The newbies were to some, brought in to try and breath new life into the show. I'm with Sky, the writing got sloppy and they tried to distract by bringing in Claudia and Ben. Sadly that plan didn't do much, except cause some fans to be rather nasty towards Ben and Claudia like it was their fault. It's not their fault any more than it's Amanda's fault that there are so many "anti-sams" out there. They're just actors. They do what their told, stand where their told. If any blame needs to be placed on why the show went down hill, it's the writers and producers...they got sloppy.
                      Head for the hills folks! Mandy agrees with me. The balance in the 'verse is totally outa whack. Someone, quick, call the Tappinator to set it to rights before we all perish!
                      *runs away screaming....
                      Hmmm....scary thing is...I agree with you too Sunny!!!
                      I don't blame the new cast for the show being cancelled...I would have to say that IMHO, a lot of the blame lays with the writing and SciFi channel.
                      I really don't like to criticize the writers too much because I can't write for peanuts so what the heck would I know...but...IMHO, I think one of the biggest mistakes was to throw in too many new characters and concentrate on those new characters rather than trying to follow the original team...even though RDA left...and a lot of folks say that that is why the show failed, I tend to err on the side of caution with that assessment because the way I see it, RDA was weaned off the show so in my eyes, I didn't take his loss as hard as if they would have just had him leave suddenly. Having said that...I do agree that RDA's role was and is a huge draw card...but I don't believe it was the straw that broke the camels back per se.
                      I actually like the character of Vala...I don't like how they stupidfy her though...sometimes I could just hug the woman...and other times I shake my head and wonder the frell are those writers doing???
                      With Cam, I think they macho'ed him up too much...he was IMHO, too gung ho. But...still...love him too!
                      I wish they would have done more with the character of Dr Lam...and again, IMHO, I think Landry's character was a bit watered down...I really really like Beau Bridges but I don't think his character was doing him any justice...did that make sense??

Now see...if you hadn't eaten that noodle...there may have been hope in saving the world!!!
                      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
                        In response to the comments about 'sloppy' writing in later seasons.......

The two-parters still seemed to be pretty good later on. What is it about two-parters that is so different for the writers? More total writers involved? It is a 'big' story, so BW is more involved? There is more time to explore several avenues/arcs of stories? Bigger budget for everything?

I'm not a creative writer, so would have no idea. I've only written 'technical' stuff for my career.

And to keep this on topic.......Has anyone ever noticed a difference in AT's acting in single episodes vs two-parters? Different level of intensity? More depth?

Also, other than certain things about Sam's character, has AT ever contributed to writing any of the episodes or story lines?
                        Agreed. the two-parters in S8 were great. Perhaps because they were arc stories, they had a stronger feel. They kicked butt and really carried the season.

Anything else will have to go to the anti-S9/S10 thread.
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.
                        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
                          I thought we were on topic??

I don't know if I can say I have noticed anything different about Amanda's acting style from single ep verses double eps but I have noticed the changes from season 1 through to season 10...and also from season 10 SG1 to season 4 SGA...but thats just natural evolution/progression of an actor/person/character...one that I love and appreciate and that it's proven to be a winning style too...in more than one sense of the word!!
                          I think you have to allow a character to grow and change as the years roll on...much like the actor him/herself does...an actor simply cannot reasonably play a character in the same way for year after year...not only would it get boring but it wouldn't look right for oh so many reasons. But that's just my 2 cent worth on that.
                          I'm not sure if Amanda actually wrote an ep...I'm going to go out on a limb and say no she hasn't written an ep but we know she certainly has directed one...I know that Chris Judge and Micheal Shanks have both written for the show...and IIRC, so has Corin Nemic.
                          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Wow, is it possible to be a Sam fan and love her treatment in seasons 9 and 10? Well obviously it is, because I embody that paradox...but I like happy, content, relaxed Sam, who isn't constantly surrounded by that uncomfortable UST, and who is a senior member of the team instead of second fiddle. And even if we get less of her, that's the Sam I like to see.

Just one final thought on the whole Sam promotion thing...I noticed several people saying that only people who don't wholeheartedly ship S/J saw favoritism in that scene. That's probably because the writers made their preference for that ship so obvious in so many other scenes, that it's hard not to expect that implication to be there in every scene. An unfair expectation, perhaps, but then again there are some people who see ship in everything, and we have no idea if the writers are them or not. I think a fairer assessment of who saw ship where is that people who aren't that familiar with the military were more likely to see ship—no matter what they support.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                            ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
                              Wow, is it possible to be a Sam fan and love her treatment in seasons 9 and 10? Well obviously it is, because I embody that paradox...but I like happy, content, relaxed Sam, who isn't constantly surrounded by that uncomfortable UST, and who is a senior member of the team instead of second fiddle. And even if we get less of her, that's the Sam I like to see.
                              agreed - Carter was just kicking back, sipping a brew, pwning noobs, you know how we do. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post

Just a question, not trying to be argumentative, but what makes that picture 'shippy'? It's just RDA and Amanda, two workmates sat together and she has her hand resting on his back, the way you do when you are having a photo taken with a workmate. I know I don't like S/J, but no matter how I squint, I can't read anything to do with a relationship (or 'ship' in the fannish vernacular) in that picture. I know it's all in the eye of the beholder and all that but I'm not seeing anything there.
                                Genuinely curious here.

FF

well, ff, sometimes shippers take pics like that and 'pretend' they're sam and jack. i've done it myself. it's all harmless. just look at your sigpic; that's richard and michael posing for the tv guide, but it seems that you're using it as jack and daniel. so no harm.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X