Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
    Tony Tellado over at Sci-Fi Talk has a new interview with Amanda Tapping. They talk about Sanctuary, Stargate Atlantis, the two Stargate Movies and light heartedly discuss a possible interview between Tony and Helen Magnus (now that would be great if they could actually manage to do that).

You can catch the podcast here and it is about 30 minutes long.

Thanks! As always, another good interview.

It sounds like they will start production on Sanctuary next month -- if so, then how would Amanda also play Sam on Atlantis? Production for Atlantis starts the end of February. Amanda is not saying she won't be in season 5, but I don't get how she would do both. What do others think? How could she do both shows? I am wondering if she will come back to Atlantis, or maybe she decided to move on with Sanctuary?

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      that's where the whole 'but daniel's a civilian, he can do whatever he wants' argument is lost. he can't. He's a employee and, as such, is bound by the same rules as the military folks

same applies to anyone working on a military base
      I don't get how that idea came about. He may not be liable for court martial can still be fired, and he's not irreplaceable.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
        I don't get how that idea came about. He may not be liable for court martial can still be fired, and he's not irreplaceable.
        Needing a way to get the Tollan out of the mountain without getting the team into huge amounts of trouble, back in S1 when they were still not always quite on the money with the characters and the military stuff may be the origin of that. So, plot convenience+still working it all out is the probable answer to that question, like it is to a lot of slip ups or other things which various parts of the fandom have caught onto. It was plot convience that bred further plot convenience, it seems
        sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky456 View Post
          Whoa, I thought The Seer was great, I just saw BAMSR, and wow, what an awesome episode.
          Spoiler:
          Amanda did an awesome job, like always. As soon as I saw Sam I was really glad to see her, since we haven't seen her on SGA in the past little while, but as soon as I saw her I got a smile on my face . I was really impressed when she stood up for Mckay, even though he's been kind of an arse in that past, she actually stood up for him. She just looked Ellis in the eyes and told him off with that mean and hard ass voice, and he's like "okay". It just goes to show you that she'll behind anyone under her command (even if it's Mckay).

So bravo Amanda for an awesome episode
          From what I've learned in management classes, and what I've seen and done in personal experience, Sam handled this situation perfectly! I was so pleased at the way this was written. She did all the right things:

Spoiler:
          1. Confronted Colonel Ellis personally and immediately;

2. Didn't yell...but stated her position in a clear, calm voice;

3. Didn't give him any leeway to discuss the issue and

4. Made it clear that her word as commander would stand.

I think the tendency for producers/writers is to make the reaction to such an infraction a dramatic one where people yell. But in real life, it's more likely to be handled just as Sam did it. I was impressed with her forcefulness. Without screaming, foot-stomping or any other actions men like to write for women to do in an adversarial situation, she made her point and also made it clear that she was the ranking authority in the room.

The leadership she's showing is just what I expect of the Samanta Carter I've adored for 10 years!!!

Amanda's growth in this role is impressive...and is additional testament to her abilities as an actress. Sam Carter continues to grow and change...and this makes the character a joy to watch!

Comment

With scenes like that I can see why AT doesn't mind continuing to play Sam Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
              Tony Tellado over at Sci-Fi Talk has a new interview with Amanda Tapping. They talk about Sanctuary, Stargate Atlantis, the two Stargate Movies and light heartedly discuss a possible interview between Tony and Helen Magnus (now that would be great if they could actually manage to do that).

You can catch the podcast here and it is about 30 minutes long.
              Thanks for the link to the Podcast! It was kinda nice to sit back and just listen to AT. I'm so way behind in watching my Sanctuary though. I should get up to date on it as I was intrigued with this series from the get go.

Comment

Originally posted by resurgamlaura View Post
                Needing a way to get the Tollan out of the mountain without getting the team into huge amounts of trouble, back in S1 when they were still not always quite on the money with the characters and the military stuff may be the origin of that. So, plot convenience+still working it all out is the probable answer to that question, like it is to a lot of slip ups or other things which various parts of the fandom have caught onto. It was plot convience that bred further plot convenience, it seems
                yeah, a plot convenience - and at that time in the show, daniel was pretty irreplacable - that fanon grew into him being totally untouchable.

as the years went on and more and more linguists got involved, daniel was less and less irreplacable
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

yeah, a plot convenience - and at that time in the show, daniel was pretty irreplacable - that fanon grew into him being totally untouchable.

as the years went on and more and more linguists got involved, daniel was less and less irreplacable
                  Plus there was less call for linguists, since nearly everybody spoke English.

Comment

Plus there was less call for linguists, since nearly everybody spoke English.
                    Funny that, eh?
                    ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                    ames on facebook
                    ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
                      Funny that, eh?
                      Essential, really - imagine how boring it would be if every time SG-1 made contact with a new race, they were speaking a new language and had to go through the movie rigmarole of Daniel figuring out how their language had evolved from whatever Earth language it was based on, then translating everything being said.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc View Post
                        It sounds like they will start production on Sanctuary next month -- if so, then how would Amanda also play Sam on Atlantis? Production for Atlantis starts the end of February. Amanda is not saying she won't be in season 5, but I don't get how she would do both. What do others think? How could she do both shows? I am wondering if she will come back to Atlantis, or maybe she decided to move on with Sanctuary?
                        I would guess that she could have her SGA schedule written to just include her on certain days, or she could inform them that she can't work, say, Mondays and Thursdays, so she can work on Sanctuary then. Complicated? Yes. Unworkable? No.

She managed to film two movies, 14 episodes of SGA and eight webisodes of Sanctuary in the last shooting year. If she decides to, she can do it again. *crosses fingers*
                        sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                        May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Essential, really - imagine how boring it would be if every time SG-1 made contact with a new race, they were speaking a new language and had to go through the movie rigmarole of Daniel figuring out how their language had evolved from whatever Earth language it was based on, then translating everything being said.
                          Hmm, sounds a lot like every Unas episode.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular View Post

NC
                            I don't remember those too well, I'm afraid - they're not ones I rewatch.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular View Post

NC
                              I don't remember those too well, I'm afraid - they're not ones I rewatch.
                              Anyone else noticing a correlation here?
                              sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                              May we all be so well loved.

Comment

and is it just me or does claudia look really airbrushed or something?
                                they are all airbrushed

Comment

Working...
                                X