Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal
    Hear Ye Hear Ye Citizens of Samanda

Another reminder to dig through your photo files and find the one definitive photo that expresses your persona ... in plain words, get your picture in to Royal Photographer this weekend so she can work her graphic magic on a group photo of Samanda. This will be a private picture and not to be posted online here at the thread. Mary Beth will link us all privately to the picture when the time comes. But the time won't come if she doesn't get enough photos to create the original shot!

Just as you have a Samandan duty to vote, loyal citizens, we beseech you to exercise your royal duty to stand up and be counted.

Send a good-quality print on to: [email protected]

Auntie Samanda Wants You!

Jester
    (raises her hand) Question.....does the pic have to be of us alone or can we be with someone else? In the past 2 years, I've had VERY few pics done, due to illness. I just had a passport pic done, but it makes me look 20 years too old (YUCK) and still very ill. So, a single or can it be with others?

Thanks!!! I have to log off....med time, but I'll check back.
    On fighting:
    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      it's my understanding that janet being killed had nothing to do with the actress per se, or her age

s7 was renewed horribly late. I mean, it was like december or something before we heard which meant that they were months behind schedule.
      now the principal actors, it behooves them to keep themselves free (and they might be contracturaly obligated to take part so they cant' even look for other employment until they get an official 'there isno season' message) - i know that amanda said that she had a production or two that she could have taken part in but she had to wait until they heard about s7 before she could say yes or no.

now teryl, unfortunatly, isn't a principal and, well the girl's gotta eat. A gig came up and she made the decision (not without talking to TPTB i'm sure) that she was going to go for it and if she got the gig, then stargate would just have to work around it.

she got the gig, several of them IIRC, then s7 happened. If you look, there are several instances where they could have used a doctor but didn't and i think that is because teryl wasn't there and rather than make up a new doctor, they just wrote around her.

anywho, now comes february and the gulf war is in full swing and peter gets the idea to do a bit of a tribute to the real life folks who are fighting and dying and come up wtih a story where the sgc loses one of its own. Since teryl already had other jobs lined up, the idea was to use her. at that point in time, they honesty thought that s7 was IT, so they'd kill janet and have something dramatic at teh end of the season.

so heroes was written and - for better or worse - janet's death was leaked to the masses. They worked around teryl's schedule, i think taping her scenes weeks before the regular photography for the season to accomodate her current job

then s8 happened and they were stuck. yeah, they could un-kill her, but the whole fandom knew that she was going to die. tehy faced two choices, 'lie' and change for teh happy ending, or let janet die, knowing that they were leaving a huge gap in the show

they chose the lattter and, in one way, i'm glad they did. sometimes the relentless 'we gotta end happy' gets on my nerves

BUT
      i do and will always miss janet. If i could change one thing, i would have had them NOT leak her upcoming demise so that it could have been changed and none of us would have been any the wiser
      I understand that it gets boring to always have a happy ending, but ya know some of us already have enough drama and tragedy in our lives to go a lifetime without wanting to see more of it. I've seen a lot of friends and family members die, it's not a pretty sight. I don't necessarily enjoy being reminded of it while watching television. One of the reasons I enjoy fantasy and science fiction is because it is so far from reality in most cases.

Stargate may be more realistic than most because it takes place on Earth and the main characters are humans working for the USAF, but that's pretty much where reality ends. How many times have the main characters died and been revived? How many times has Earth came close to a cataclysmic end, to be saved just in the nick of time. Carter's body has been taken over two different times, Daniel has ascended two separate times, Jack has an Ancient gene that allows him to use alien techology. These are not things that we normally see in real life, and this is exactly why I like the show. If I wanted reality, I'd watch CSI or House, those shows deal with things that happen every day.

I don't mind seeing violence if there is a true need for it to explain a story, just as I don't mind see someone die if the death has meaning or adds depth to the storyline; however to use it simple to add a shock value is simply wrong in my opinion.

In terms of Martouf, Janet and
      Spoiler:
      Jacob
      ... I don't think it was used as anything more than shock. If they had killed Martouf and then did a brief arc of Sam having to deal with the aftershock of having killed someone she cared for, then yes I would have understood the need to have Martouf die; but they didn't use it as a means to further the story arc. That last minute of Sam sitting with Martouf lying in her arms was sad but honestly any Tom, Dick or Harry could have been the actual Zartac just as easily as Martouf.

As far as Janet, I don't agree with their reasons for having her die, but at least it was a beautiful episode and a great tribute to Janet and everything the character added to the show. She deserved that at the very least. But I'm still heart-broken over
      Spoiler:
      Jacob's death.
      If I don't see a tangible piece of evidence in season nine to explain the reason why this had to happen I am going to be extremely disappointed with the writers.

Kat

Edit: Has anyone else noticed that whenever we have one of these big recurring character deaths like this, it's always someone close to Sam? I guess that isn't completely true, seeing as Daniel's wife did die, but poor Sam seems to get the brunt of all this tragedy.

Amanda does such a great job crying, I'm starting to think that each season the writers sit down and think to themselves...hmm who can we kill this year to cause Sam to break down in tears????
      Last edited by ForeverSg1; 27 May 2005, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
        I understand that it gets boring to always have a happy ending, but ya know some of us already have enough drama and tragedy in our lives to go a lifetime without wanting to see more of it. I've seen a lot of friends and family members die, it's not a pretty sight. I don't necessarily enjoy being reminded of it while watching television. One of the reasons I enjoy fantasy and science fiction is because it is so far from reality in most cases.
        ForeverSG1!

I couldn't agree more! That's the reason I try to avoid Drama movies and tend to go for Comedy only. That's the reason I don't watch Lifetime network. Entertaiment should be entertaining, not depressing.

I also agree with AT's abilities to act out those teary moments. She does it with so much heart. It never feels fake. Not many actors can pull it off.

I really hope that something HAPPY will finaly happen in Carter's life in S9. Too much tragedy happened in S8. Sam deserves happiness!

Comment

Just to know, there is hope for Sam in S9 ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...amContract.jpg

"See? It says right here in my contract that I cannot be repossessed by a symbiote or entity or allowed to die. And, 'happy', I'm entitled to have some happy moments. Life is good."

Comment

"See? It says right here in my contract that I cannot be repossessed by a symbiote or entity or allowed to die. And, 'happy', I'm entitled to have some happy moments. Life is good."
            Great! Not only kick butt Sam, but happy Sam for Season 9!

Comment

Hey all, popping in from Belfast Ireland this time. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to hop the train to Dublin tomorrow for a bit of sightseeing... All work, no play is wearing me out!

Hugs,
              Strix

My LJ

Comment

which lowdown is this from? there have been 3 of them right?

btw, no one's said anything about my new Sam picture...

http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/...heroes_sam.jpg
                Last edited by Uber; 27 May 2005, 12:34 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Awww CG! Have I told you how glad I am you are a part of this thread. You always make me smile.

To quote General O'Neill... "If only".

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                    Gosh, that is terrible about CN. Fans in general--yes, some people have no common sense, regardless of the situation. Doesn't the term "fan" come from "fanatic?" I think we are Sam/AT supporters...yeah that sounds better than whacko...I mean fan.
                    The problem is that a few loonie tunes can ruin it for the rest of us. I always harken back to the sitcom "My Sister Sam" and the tragic ending of a young life by a man who became obsessed with the lead actress.

The sad fact is that some people out there simply can't just enjoy a tv show or have a favorite actor or actress. They become obsessed with the show or actors and can't distinguish fantasy from reality. We joke about being obsessed...because we can see the humor of thoroughly enjoying a show, a character and in this case an actress...and even make up silly things like the Kingdom of Samanda as just a fun way to express our appreciation and admiration for Sam Carter and Amanda Tapping. But we're the good kind of obsessed...the kind that likes to chat about our favorite scenes, joke about funny lines and generally appreciate a tragically underrated actress. But the truth is there are those who are truly obsessed to the point of being dangerous, not only to themselves but to innocent actors and actresses just doing their jobs.

I can live with security details protecting the actors and actresses of the shows I enjoy...because in this day and age, the security details are also a necessary evil...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

happy endings are fun, yes. and i do enjoy them. i think it's all in how they're presented

take red sky for example.

in it, the sgc messed up and set the g'tau sun on the way to blowing up. jack made a big deal about telling the g'tau that their god isn't real. (he outed the asgard) then, when they realize that they can't fix the sun, the people won't leave, because they trusted thier god to save them and i THINK, they wouldn't even listen to freyr tell them to do, because freyr wasn't their god

basially, this was one example where, by outing the gods, they did do more harm than good. and i think the episode would have been far more powerful had the g'tau really died.

the sgc has had a habit of trotting around, altering cultures, 'fixing' the wrongs - such as in emancipation, or demons, or memento. and yes, in some of those cases, they were exposing the natives to a better way of life...but we never see the consequences of this.

what about memento? in that one, the people that believed in and worshipped heru'ru were a quiet little secretive sect because that part of the history was forbidden to know and denied to even exist.

now, all of a sudden, the cult of heru'ur had definitive proof that they were right all along. now what are they going to to? now, instead of having to hide, they know that they were right. how much did we muck up this society?

we'll never know because that aspect of it is never dealt with.

in those cases, i think it'd be interesting to see the results and fall out of the sgc's activities.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                        The problem is that a few loonie tunes can ruin it for the rest of us. I always harken back to the sitcom "My Sister Sam" and the tragic ending of a young life by a man who became obsessed with the lead actress.

The sad fact is that some people out there simply can't just enjoy a tv show or have a favorite actor or actress. They become obsessed with the show or actors and can't distinguish fantasy from reality. We joke about being obsessed...because we can see the humor of thoroughly enjoying a show, a character and in this case an actress...and even make up silly things like the Kingdom of Samanda as just a fun way to express our appreciation and admiration for Sam Carter and Amanda Tapping. But we're the good kind of obsessed...the kind that likes to chat about our favorite scenes, joke about funny lines and generally appreciate a tragically underrated actress. But the truth is there are those who are truly obsessed to the point of being dangerous, not only to themselves but to innocent actors and actresses just doing their jobs.

I can live with security details protecting the actors and actresses of the shows I enjoy...because in this day and age, the security details are also a necessary evil...
                        And the truly sad thing about an obsessed fan is that in most cases I don't really think they realize they are crossing the line and in most cases they appear pretty normal.

My sister is what you would call a groupee to a once popular 80's rock star. He's in his 50's now, but still does tours and normally fills every place he puts on a concert with screaming women in their 30-50's. Overall my sister is pretty subdued, this is just her way of meeting new people who have the same interest as her, but the group of women she goes to the concerts with are in my opinion walking a very thin line between groupee and obsession. From stories I have heard, they always know what hotel he is staying at, and almost always book at the same hotel. They sit for hours in the bar watching him have a drink with his band after a show. They know where he lives, where he buys his groceries even where he goes for a morning cup of coffee. They have bought backstage passes so many times that he actually knows most of them by name. I don't think these people would ever do anything to hurt him, but I have been to a few of his concerts with my sister and I have seen how the people behave around him. If the Stargates fans act half as possessive and demanding as these fans do, then I totally feel for the actors because I would never want to be put into that position.

I mean I'd love to meet Amanda, but I couldn't imagine myself going up to her while she was eating dinner at a restaurant or sit outside her house to get a picture as she came out. To me this a complete and utter disregard to her privacy. Unfortunately there are a lot of fans out there who don't feel the same way.

Kat

Comment

I could not imagine ever meeting Amanda, or any of the other actors for that matter. However, I know I would never act obsessed and weird like you are all talking about some people being.
                          Which is why I hope the book asto is putting together doesn't just get shelved aside as another wacko fan thing, as I think astro is doing a great job, and it would be a shame if it was put away without even being looked at, incase it was something weird. I guess she can only try, and hope that we little Samandans aren't all lumped in with the rest of the fanatic fans.
                          And Uber, you called the kingdom of Samanda silly !

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                            Hey all, popping in from Belfast Ireland this time. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to hop the train to Dublin tomorrow for a bit of sightseeing... All work, no play is wearing me out!

Hugs,
                            Strix
                            Hey Strix, glad to see you're up to the Irish leg of the trip! Erin Go Bragh! Stay safe!

Will be looking for a new Samfic when you get back!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                              which lowdown is this from? there have been 3 of them right?

btw, no one's said anything about my new Sam picture...

http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/...heroes_sam.jpg
                              Did you get this autographed photo from e-Bay too? You're starting a collection, huh?

The photo is from this year's Lowdown. AT was actually calling attention to a fan's remark that "Carter is hot!"

Comment

OT: Tomorrow is my anniversary and my husband just came home with Photoshop CS as my gift. So if anyone has any good books to suggest that would help in learning how to use this monster of a program (Uber already suggested one), I would really appreciate it.

Back on topic: Today while bored and running through screen caps from POV, I decided that I really don't like the wig they choose for AT to wear. I'm not really sure why all AR versions of Sam have long hair, but they could at least do AT the curtesy of finding some decent wings. Anywho, I started playing with one of the caps and this is my alternate version of Alternate Reality Sam.

Comment

Working...
                                X