Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    I think, personally, everyone at bridge is under 'keep it positive. Keep everyone excited, nothing negative' orders.

I think that bridge is scared. s9 is one heck of a gamble. rda is gone, AT is absent, teh two remaining cast members, neither of them have a strong and compelling story (how many are enthused about the jaffa rebellion or moer ascended stuff????) and they'er adding an unprecedented number of new cast members

I think this is, moer than any other, a make it or break it season. It wouldn't surprise me if promises weren't made to scifi along the lines of 'yeah, we know rick is gone but i promise you, we can go on without him. we'll pull equal or better ratings' and now that that promise is made, they gotta live up to it.

and how better than to hype and promote and do everything they can to get people to tune in

I think that is a lot of what's behind all these interviews. the boys at bridge gotta convince us that it's better now and to do that, they'er gonna keep telling us that over and over and over and hope that we believe it...or at least tune in long enough for them to get good enough ratings to get s10

I don't think it's anything personal, just a bunch of people scared tolose thier jobs adn wililng to do/say pretty much anything to save them
    Yep, they are promoting season 9 heavy. I agree they are scared, why else would they be giving us sneak previews on Monday. But for me the season starts when AT is back. I could careless what the boys do.
    Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue
      Yep, they are promoting season 9 heavy. I agree they are scared, why else would they be giving us sneak previews on Monday. But for me the season starts when AT is back. I could careless what the boys do.
      to me the first eps with all this vala crud and merlin stuff and silly sword play is nothing but a way to kill time until the real parts start.

and, well it'll be fic fodder as i'm sure there will be no shortage of fic writers who are willing to 'fix' the season and fill in where sam is/was during that period of time
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

How about something light hearted? (remember, if the pic doesn't work, I'm a ditz. I just want to remind everyone!!!!!

On fighting:
        Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
        Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
          I am not so worried about being overloaded with all they say they have planned for S9 - TPTB said some similar things about Moebius and how our heads would swim with all they had packe dinto it (I only watched part 1 and found it so boring and so not what a season ender (and, at the time, possible series ender) should have been I did not bother with part 2). I felt what I did see in no way lived up to the hype TPTB put out on it and I have lost almost all faith in them with what they have done and where they seem to be going that I really don't think that S9 will be all that hard to follow nor will it be the "new" beginning they profess it to be - just my opinion and as you can see I am still in that negative bad place I was in awhile back...
          Hey, I'm kind of with you on that. I thought pt. 1 was kind of fun, but pt. 2 was a big disappointment. The previous episode, (Reckoning?) would have made a much better season ender IM, and if the show had to go out, it would have made a decent series ender too. All this talk about the "new" team bugs me, particularly when it was said before AT was back. There is probably no deeper meaning here, just enthusiasm. And they may be having more fun than last year, not having to film around RDA and able to work together more. I know AT said in one of the commentaries (and I think we've talked about this before) that she missed "the guys" when she had to be off filming her bits of multiple episodes without the team.

Comment

I too find the lack of amanda mention rather disheartening.

I do think it's more to ramp up the anticipation, however it could also be interpreted as she's being excluded or ignored or 'punished' for making things difficult

It is ratehr hard to hear these folks, who put themselves forth as great friends and the such to be so pointedly ignoring one of their own (course, how many times in cons over the past couple of years has CJ even talked about Amanda??? Usually all he ever wants to talk about is MS and both he and MS only discuss Amanda when a fan brings it up and 'makes' them)

However, despite all that, there is another possibiilty. Maybe they suspect that this could be Amanda's last year and since the three stooges show is going to be their potential for s10, that's what they want to focus on.
            Yeah I went to the Dallas con this year. CJ and MS threw in season 9 promotion when ever they could. Both were promoting the heck out of PU. I'm guessing because of the Vala character. Only time RDA was mention was that he was old and not comming back. I don't think AT was mentioned at all.

I think AT would have brought some class to the Con. I wasn't too impressed with CJ or MS.
            Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

to me the first eps with all this vala crud and merlin stuff and silly sword play is nothing but a way to kill time until the real parts start.
              I think a lot of times the episodes they think "this will be great!" " The effects will rock!" are the least interesting. If they can make Vala more of an actual character and the Merlin stuff have an interesting storyline, fine. But I hope they're not just going for cutsey, "funny" stuff. When Sam comes back things have got to get better, regardless.
              Oh, and some of you speculating on the potential demise of S--. Don't even THINK that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                How about something light hearted? (remember, if the pic doesn't work, I'm a ditz. I just want to remind everyone!!!!!

lol, thats one of my favorite team pictures. Love the eyes.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue

I think AT would have brought some class to the Con. I wasn't too impressed with CJ or MS.
                  I'll just say that neither of those boys are enough to get me to a con. I've seen MS twice, CJ once and neither of them are enough to get me to shell out the bucks to see them again

i've heard the stories and, frankly, i don't care for the shanks/judge/davis mutual admiration society. I'm just not interested

I just have the impression that, while they do enjoy meeting the fans, it's more about doing the gig and lapping up the adoration and estrogen while for amanda, it's truly a chance to meet and greet her fans and that we're a LOT more than just a face in the crowd to her.

i honestly can say that she cares about people
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Just had to say I asked a question on the "Ask Bam-Bam" thread (fight coordinator) and he answered! I asked if we would be seeing any good Sam fight scenes. He said he hasn't worked with AT yet & didn't think Sam did much hand to hand fighting. I answered back & said she has done some & hope he'll get a chance to work with AT. He said he thought he would. His answers are really friendly.

Comment

I too find the lack of amanda mention rather disheartening.

I do think it's more to ramp up the anticipation, however it could also be interpreted as she's being excluded or ignored or 'punished' for making things difficult

It is ratehr hard to hear these folks, who put themselves forth as great friends and the such to be so pointedly ignoring one of their own (course, how many times in cons over the past couple of years has CJ even talked about Amanda??? Usually all he ever wants to talk about is MS and both he and MS only discuss Amanda when a fan brings it up and 'makes' them)

However, despite all that, there is another possibiilty. Maybe they suspect that this could be Amanda's last year and since the three stooges show is going to be their potential for s10, that's what they want to focus on.
                      I agree with you Sky... the lack of Amanda/Sam being mentioned is really starting to bother me. I mean I know everyone is gung-ho about this upcoming season, or at least that is how it appears, but part of my fancination with the show is the fact that over the past eight years they have truly come across as one big, happy family. The images we have been given from the dvd's has shown us how extraordinarily well they have all gotten along, without any of the usual 'I'm better than you' superiority. This is what made me truly fall in love with the show...the characters and the actors.

However the way things have been handled thus far regarding season nine,
                      it's truly starting to make me worry about the image that has been portrayed in the past. I mean from the first week of the season we have been hearing how great things are and how wonderfully the cast has melded together and I sort of just took it as the production crew being worried how things might go over with so many new cast members and how delighted they were with how easy things have gone. However, with RDA gone now and AT not even a part of production for the first two months of the season, to suddenly be hearing CJ, MS, and various writers/producers all say how completely different this season is and how it's such a great Team(when all of the TEAM isn't even there yet). Or how beautifully they have all gotten along and how much better this season is going to be compared to previous years sort of puts me in the mindset that, if anything they are saying now is true, then we have been lied to for the past eight years. That it's all been one enormous facade and if this is truly the case then I will probably become very disenchanted with the franchise.

I don't know why but CJ's recent comments that it has always been Rick and the three other mooks really bothers me. I never once thought of Stargate that way. Yes, I had my favorite characters, but I always thought they had this wonderful chemistry between them and I loved watching all four members of the team together. I understand that the past three years has been very difficult for everyone dealing with RDA's limited work schedule. I have always commended everyone from the writers, producers, actors for putting up with all of that so that we the fans could have a show to watch for the past three years, but it just seems to me that everyone is now using that as a means to put some sort of blame on RDA. Like he is somehow at fault for all the negativity that has befallen the show over the past few years and that now with him gone, the show will suddenly bounce back to it's original glory. Which in my opinion is so far from the truth it's not in the least bit amusing.

I was also recently bothered when I read a post where someone said that they are glad RDA was leaving the show and that he could take Tapping with him. This was an utterly uncalled for statment. It was rude and disrespectful to two wonderful actors who have given eight years of their lives to this show.

In all honesty, I just hope to god that Amanda is truly onboard with all of these new changes and that they put Sam in a positive light this season, because in my present state of mind if AT ever walks, I won't be far behind.
                      Last edited by ForeverSg1; 26 May 2005, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                        Hey, I'm kind of with you on that. I thought pt. 1 was kind of fun, but pt. 2 was a big disappointment. The previous episode, (Reckoning?) would have made a much better season ender IM, and if the show had to go out, it would have made a decent series ender too. All this talk about the "new" team bugs me, particularly when it was said before AT was back. There is probably no deeper meaning here, just enthusiasm. And they may be having more fun than last year, not having to film around RDA and able to work together more. I know AT said in one of the commentaries (and I think we've talked about this before) that she missed "the guys" when she had to be off filming her bits of multiple episodes without the team.
                        My sentiments exactly!! I mean come on, how hard is it for someone to say something like...

"The franchise has had eight wonderful years with RDA, and we're hoping with MS, CJ and AT coming back and this new, talented group of people coming in that the franchise will continue on for another eight seasons. Everyone involved with the show is really looking forward to coming back and making this the best season ever. "

and

"The new team's chemistry is just great, and it's only going to get better when Amanda comes back."

I mean come on guys, give us a bone here!!! Hearing these types of comments would have had me elated about the upcoming season, but instead I'm petrified as to what to expect when the first episode airs. I'm sure Farscape was a great show. Obviously it had it's own share of fans, but I'm not one of them. Instead of spending all of their time trying to lure in those new fans, why don't they try to make some of us established ones a little more at ease with all the new changes. I really think they need to get someone better in their public relations departmetn because whomever they are they don't seem to be doing a very good job. But maybe they think in the same terms as the cell phone companies. Once they got you hooked into the contract/show, you really no longer exist in their eyes. It's all about grabbing that new customer or pulling in that new fan in the end.

Kat
                        Last edited by ForeverSg1; 26 May 2005, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          My sentiments exactly!! I mean come on, how hard is it for someone to say something like...

"The franchise has had eight wonderful years with RDA, and we're hoping with MS, CJ and AT coming back and this new, talented group of people coming in that the franchise will continue on for another eight seasons. Everyone involved with the show is really looking forward to coming back and making this the best season ever. "

and

"The new team's chemistry is just great, and it's only going to get better when Amanda comes back."

I mean come on guys, give us a bone here!!! Hearing these types of comments would have had me elated about the upcoming season, but instead I'm petrified as to what to expect when the first episode airs. I'm sure Farscape was a great show. Obviously it had it's own share of fans, but I'm not one of them. Instead of spending all of their time trying to lure in those new fans, why don't they try to make some of us established ones a little more at ease with all the new changes. I really think they need to get someone better in their public relations departmetn because whomever they are they don't seem to be doing a very good job. But maybe they think in the same terms as the cell phone companies. Once they got you hooked into the contract/show, you really no longer exist in their eyes. It's all about grabbing that new customer or pulling in that new fan in the end.

Kat
                          Yeah, it seem like they are working overtime to alienate the Jack fans, Sam fans and the J/S Shippers.

Rogue

Comment

chopingal: Yep, Madam Vice President, our dearest Royal Page knew just who would most appreciate the O'Neillium mind transfer - belated birthday gift, perhaps?!
                            And, deepspace, I've been off-board for awhile but kudos on a terrific third chapter - you go, girl! We'll have you up on fanfiction.net in no time, writing your first Samfic! Proud of you!
                            Thankyou Chopingal. *Blushing madly*
                            I'm glad Sal likes it.
                            uber: For the record, as the snarky Samandan and someone whose sense of humor is frighteningly similar to O'Neill's, plus there's the whole, "I'm not the sharpest bulb in the box (yet another trait I share with Jack), AND I'm just the Royal Photographer ie., way more expendable, I believe it was my duty to stick my head in the brain sucker. I would NOT have allowed more valuable Samandans to take my place.
                            I also think there was a memo to this affect sent out to the masses a while back.
                            And if there wasn't a memo there should have been.
                            So...there.

uber: Um... excuse me???
                            I was in fact the ONLY person that should have stuck my head in the brain sucking...thingy.
                            It just so happens that I have an Ancient/English dictionary...EXPANDED EDITION...right here next to my PC.
                            Please make a note of this for future brain sucking incidents.
                            Thank you.
                            But I never meant to upset Uber .
                            chopingal:
                            We love you, Uber
                            Oh yes we do
                            Royal Photographer
                            We bow to you

Though you may be less
                            than Carter bright
                            You still have far more
                            than low-watt light

You keep us going
                            And always post
                            was not a ghost

We feel your pain now
                            Sal got your due
                            And you have every right
                            to be in a stew

Best we can offer
                            Give us a break
                            Is Jack's A-okay
                            And a piece of cake
                            Astro may be our steady flame, but you Uber are also a bright light with your posts. I don't want you to feel unnapreciated.

By the way, I had a really, really clear mental image of you. You had dark hair. You're not meant to be blonde dammit !

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

AD: Haha, I know where we can get some mottos...
                              Sloganizer.net LOL
                              Yeah, you could find something there for the flag Kat.

edited
                              aieeeeeee! I'm a Super Soldier!

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Astrogee, I feel like I am failing you here. I've promised you this cd, and haven't done anything yet. I missed my opportunity to post it last week because I was waiting to see what would happen, whether or not the thread was ending, because if it were I would have just put the whole thead on the one disk. But now, I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to post it.
                                So sorry, I don't like mucking people around like this .
                                I tried to PM you, but you need to delete some messages or something, it says that your storage is full.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Working...
                                X