Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
    LOL. You say that like it's a bad thing! You know what? That's what I LOVED about Gabit. All the hugs. In fact, I think that may have been the last time I had a proper, proper hug. The two girls who came to my baptism gave very..... conservative, baby hugs.

I just noticed Julia on here... she gives awesome hugs too. In all seriousness, I loved the whole event, but I just ADORED the hugs.
    I was going to add that I was glad to finally be able to hug people, too. I admit that I'm a hugger. Can't help it! So it was nice to have TJ and others around who didn't mind being squeezed. LOL

And yes, Julia is a good hugger too. And so is Mumsey! (Even after I spilled her drink all over! ... I'm still under a rock about that.)

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
      Folks in the eastern maritime provinces have a very marked accent, imho, and a dialect that I can't even understand on a good day. i don't know what they're saying half the time and that archetype often ends up a character on Canadian TV as a "typical Canadian" (which is SO not true). So it's understandable how folks in the US and abroad might think we're either French, or impossible to understand.
      thanks for the info, and you wouldn't want to know what a "typical Canadian" (not just about the accent) is for most French people lol

even us French (from France) sometimes have difficulty to understand our cousins from Quebec because of their accent (and some of their expressions).
      Anayway I guess I'll never loose my French accent, but at least you'll recognize me if we met during a convention, let's say AT3 for instance
      sigpic

Comment

(Oh and Mandy, Spazzy thought FRENCH was the primary language in Canada. I'm dead serious. ).
        Oh jeez! I knew English is spoken the most, but I thought French was the "official" one.

:bows head in uncultured shame:

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          yes, i was referring to amanda and her 'rick in ski boots and a smile'

which kinda matched the look on her face

ok, if i didn't screw it up, here are by gabit and avalon pics

avalon
          http://pics.livejournal.com/skydiver...llery/00012rhr

AT2
          http://pics.livejournal.com/skydiver...llery/000133xr

yay pics!!!! you rock, sky!

and as long as we're talking about accents...when I went to Kentucky for the National FFA convention two years ago we stopped at an Arby's for dinner before going back to the hotel. I was the first person to order and after I ordered the guy stood there and stared at me. I thought it was because I was there in my FFA jacket and all that stuff, but there was at least half a million FFA'ers in town for the convention.

Finally, I waved my hand in front of him to try and figure out why he was so fixated, and he finally told me he'd never heard anyone with my accent before. He saw my FFA jacket said Minnesota and he told me I didn't sound like the people from the movie Fargo.
          rant:
          And let's not get started on those accents...they make people people from ND and MN sound like complete idiots in my opinion.
          /end rant

off to class! One week and two papers from now I'm done for the semester!

Thank you for 10 years of Sam Carter, Amanda Tapping!
          My LJ "I Live in a Sci-Fi World"
          My Stargate (Mostly Sam Carter) Icons
          My Stargate Videos
          It's meant to be!

Comment

Originally posted by Famantha View Post
            thanks for the info, and you wouldn't want to know what a "typical Canadian" (not just about the accent) is for most French people lol

even us French (from France) sometimes have difficulty to understand our cousins from Quebec because of their accent (and some of their expressions).
            Anayway I guess I'll never loose my French accent, but at least you'll recognize me if we met during a convention, let's say AT3 for instance
            Oh that reminds me of a story. One of my best friends went to London last year on a trip and he and his wife got into a cab from the air port, they started going and the driver asked them where they were from and they said Canada. Well. The cab suddenly SCREEEETCHES to a halt in the middle of the road, the driver turns around and says: "YOU'RE NOT FRENCH ARE YOU?" So the two of them sat there, blinked, and said, "Um no, we're actually from Ontario.". The cabbie grunts, starts driving again and says: "GOOD. I hate the bloody FRENCH. Bloody Frogs!" They could not believe it. He just about kicked them out of his cab! Even hearing the story later I was flabberghasted. I mean, we do have some "issues" now and then between Quebec and the rest of Canada, but I don't think I've ever heard of a cab driver here throwing anyone out of their cab for speaking either language!

To swing this around back on topic (sort of), maybe we all need to take Amanda's advice and go out and rent Paul Haggis' 2004 film, "CRASH" - even if we've already seen it before. It does make for an eye opening examination about modern racism, that's for sure.

mg

Comment

To swing this around back on topic (sort of), maybe we all need to take Amanda's advice and go out and rent Paul Haggis' 2004 film, "CRASH" - even if we've already seen it before. It does make for an eye opening examination about modern racism, that's for sure.

mg
              Haha, she totally almost went on a tangent about Crash, but stopped herself. I was actually interested to see what she was going to say about the topic, but I think it's pretty obvious where she stands.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                Haha, she totally almost went on a tangent about Crash, but stopped herself. I was actually interested to see what she was going to say about the topic, but I think it's pretty obvious where she stands.
                I would have been totally into that conversation too.

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                Oh jeez! I knew English is spoken the most, but I thought French was the "official" one. :bows head in uncultured shame:
                Aw, that's okay Spaz. I blame the US educational system. No, seriously, I had some of the best 'political' discussions ever at AT2 with you! Even if they did go until 4 in the morning. You have a very brilliant head on those lovely shoulders of yours. No shame is allowed!

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                  Mini constantly took the piss out of my accent. I have absolutely NO idea why, though!
                  Now this is just spooky. This morning's "Thing To Do" was to ask scarimor about your accent!

btw, one of scarimor's AT2 assignments was to see whether or not she could at least differentiate between U.S. and Canadian accents.

Aw, that's okay Spaz. I blame the US educational system.
                  Well, she was 'half' right.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM View Post
                    Now this is just spooky. This morning's "Thing To Do" was to ask scarimor about your accent!

btw, one of scarimor's AT2 assignments was to see whether or not she could at least differentiate between U.S. and Canadian accents.

Well, she was 'half' right.
                    Well that all depends on what part of the US people come from Deejay who comes from the northern part (not too far from me ) told me she couldn't hear a diffence in the way we spoke.
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Yeah, yeah. I know all about that.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM View Post
                        I think this particular group made that task easier on scari, because a good portion of us are from the southern (from the West Coast to the East Coast) part of the States, so the accents - stereotypes aside - have a unique sound, all their own.

ETA: Whoops, Mandy beat me to it!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                          Believe it or not, I haven't gotten to see Crash yet. Well, actually that is probably really believable since the only adult t.v. I tend to get are the SciFi Friday line up (still mad about BSG moving to Sun) and Thurs. night's Smallville and E.R. Usually, my t.v. is on children's programming. Hubby and I will have to rent Crash this weekend while the kids are away. I have a feeling her stance is similar to my own. Racisism should NOT be tolerated.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
                            Believe it or not, I haven't gotten to see Crash yet. Well, actually that is probably really believable since the only adult t.v. I tend to get are the SciFi Friday line up (still mad about BSG moving to Sun) and Thurs. night's Smallville and E.R. Usually, my t.v. is on children's programming. Hubby and I will have to rent Crash this weekend while the kids are away. I have a feeling her stance is similar to my own. Racisism should NOT be tolerated.
                            Yeah! It's not exactly a kid-friendly film, but it's worth it.

Speaking of ER and a little OT, I was thinking of other actresses on television who manage to really get a character they can really sink their teeth into, and one of the first ones who came to mind was Maura Tierney. Her character, Abby Lockhart, overcame an enormous feat this season, I think. Typically on ER, having a baby is some sort of death knell for a female main character (Julianna Margulies' Nurse Hathaway, Alex Kingston's Dr. Corday, and Ming-na's Dr. Chen, for example), but for some reason they were able to create some interesting moments for Abby.

I wonder if the series is still a fave of AT's, because I'd still like to see her on that show. They seem to be shaking it up a little this season.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                              Haha, she totally almost went on a tangent about Crash, but stopped herself.
                              Oh, too bad she didn't. We discussed that film for one of our office's 'Diversity bookclub' meetings. There was much debate about whether the sexism in characterisation was intentional (like, ironic) or accidental (and, thus, a fascinating contrast to the handling of the topic of racism).

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                                Hey, leave poor Strix alone, can't you see she's having a hard time

*uses a fan to cool off strix*

Here Strix, this should help

Spoiler:
                                Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
                                *dies in gutter*
                                *scari succumbs... *
                                scarimor

Comment

Working...
                                X