Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
    Basically, WIFT(I) is an organization dedicated to professional development and advancing the work and accomplishments of women in all areas of screen-based (media/arts). So that means television, film, video, and all other areas of the industry. Actors, directors, producers, production artists, crew, every aspect of is covered. It's about networking and educating our industry out of the "boys club" status quo. But there are men as members, too, it's by no means an exclusive sort of "girls only" club. You can take a look at the history here if you're interested:

http://www.wifti.org/history.cfm

There are chapters all over the world (I'm obviously a member of the Toronto chapter). From a professional and a personal point of view (for me) it's a very worthwhile group to be a part of.

mg
    Well then...cool.

And congrats.

For real this time now that I know what you're talking about.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
      As for me - well some folks misunderstand my feelings for them because my nature is one that I don't often hang out with the same group of people the whole time at a con. I enjoy hanging out with a wide varitey for folks. Moving from one group to the next depending on my mood at the time. There were several different groups I hung out with in the lobby of the hotel Fri, Sat & Sun night. I often stay up and out longer than a roomate at cons - it is not uncommon for them to already be asleep when I arrive back in the room (or waking up for breakfast ).
      And that described me. I have GW friends who lurk the Sam thread, but don't actively participate in it, I have others who do... so I spent my time going between the two groups and also trying to spread my time amongst the new friends, many non-GW'er's, that I made while I was there. *waves at cocktail party table mate Jamie who said she lurks here now and then* It's definitely a wonderful part of the con to enjoy - the diversity of characters and personalities, interests and backgrounds, of the SG-1 fandom and especially the fans of Sam and Amanda - not a dull one in the house... no matter how much time we all spend trying to convince one another we're the most boring people on the face of the earth! The problem always is just how much togetherness can we squeeze into what's essentially a tad over 48 hours of con-programming? Something will always be lacking... (But then that's why a bunch of us are smiling sweetly at the G4 as we inquire innocently about when AT3 might be held so we can all plot our next get together!)

*chuckles* Uh, yeah... tsax definitely can roll in after the sun has risen and then immediately back down to the lobby for breakfast! (((tsax))) 'Course then she also has roomies *coughs* who plot evil revenges by keeping her up to the wee hours of the morning that she does try to get her beauty sleep in by talking her ears off......

But then you know the con motto: "Sleep.... HIGHLY overrated!"

The best part of any con to me is spending time with other fans. One of the really cool things about AT2 is how nice every one was that hung out in the lobby. It is not often in life you will find a group of people varying in age from 19 - um don't want to step on any toes here so lets say 40+ hanging out talking and have a great time together.
      *nods* That's what I appreciated about Shore Leave and AT2. Lots of time and opportunity to be in an open, social "safe" place where you could meet up with others who were there for the same reason you were and only few were hiding out in their rooms....
      Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
      My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

I was frankly *floored* at how well we all got along during AT2. I mean, most of you I can barely stand on a good day in Gateworld here....

YES, I'm KIDDING!

Seriously though, everyone I had a chance to hang out with during AT2 and spend time talking to (and I mean everyone) turned out to be really awesome. To the point where I think there were nearly two dozen of us hanging out together sometimes! I found that so totally cool. And when Spazzy wasn't keeping ME up all night with her incessant rambling (lord the woman just will not shut up about her odd physical obsession with George W Bush, FCOL!)... it was pretty damn amazing to hang around all ya'll .... did I get that right, Ambermoon???

MG (Uh, Spazzy... put that down hon, I was only kidding, I swear... Spaz!)

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
          Ok, I was asked to let everyone know that:

I was just told by a good friend of Amanda's, who just spoke with her a couple hours ago about the above.

Amanda's words are quoted as , "No, No, No, No, No and NO! She really was sick from a bad burger. She is not expecting.

Hopefully this will put this rumor to bed before it grows out of proportion.
          That's all folks!
          Thanks for checking with your contact and getting that info on line quickly. I'd hate to see a rumor like that one get out of control. Personally, I didn't believe it for a minute, since the tea at GABIT became a Champagne brunch. Now Poz, I'd love to know who your contact was if you feel like sharing.

Comment

Have you all seen this? It's too cute!

http://stargatesg1.com/MediaPlayer.a...tItemID=114795

Comment

I was frankly *floored* at how well we all got along during AT2. I mean, most of you I can barely stand on a good day in Gateworld here....

YES, I'm KIDDING!

Seriously though, everyone I had a chance to hang out with during AT2 and spend time talking to (and I mean everyone) turned out to be really awesome. To the point where I think there were nearly two dozen of us hanging out together sometimes! I found that so totally cool. And when Spazzy wasn't keeping ME up all night with her incessant rambling (lord the woman just will not shut up about her odd physical obsession with George W Bush, FCOL!)... it was pretty damn amazing to hang around all ya'll .... did I get that right, Ambermoon???

MG (Uh, Spazzy... put that down hon, I was only kidding, I swear... Spaz!)
              LOL! OK, first of all, anyone with a brain stem can see that George Dubya is dead sexy. Period.

Second of all, I was mulling over how to formulate my feelings on all of the cool GWers I met at AT2, but I was afraid of sounding cheesy. Well, since so many people have already taken that plunge, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Here's my AT2 Gateworld Gushing. I'm proud of the cheese that oozes from it, because it's all true. There are some really awesome Samandans/Gateworlders out there, whom I'd love to meet up with again if given the chance.

Third of all, I don't know if I've recced this Sam video "Believe" before, but I was going through my WMV playlist, and I thought I'd recommend it anyway. I'm pretty sure it's Terrah's work. It's a very cool video, and the vidmaker does great work on a regular basis.

Also, here are two silly, show/behind-the-scenes vids, just for fun: "Cartoon Heroes" and "Crazy".

Let me know if those links don't work, though.
              Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 28 November 2006, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Poz.

And I love the number of "No's" you put into that statement. Hehe.

Comment

Amanda's words are quoted as , "No, No, No, No, No and NO!
                  So...that's a MAYBE then, right???

*ducks*

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Hey guys, a little off topic, but some news of personal note for me.

I've finally received my sponsored confirmation today as a member of WIFTI (Women in Film and Television International). Nothing huge, of course, but a big deal for me since I'd allowed myself to become somewhat disillusioned with the industry in general over the past while and hadn't been chasing some of the headier goals I wanted to as actively as I should have been as a result. Well, I woke up. This is a way I can start to give back a bit too, and hopefully work with others towards making some much needed advancements instead of wallowing like a dope.

So... yay me! Thought I'd share my little epiphany. And, you know, spread the love!

Hugs,
                    geek
                    Congrats, MG!

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                    LOL! OK, first of all, anyone with a brain stem can see that George Dubya is dead sexy. Period.

Second of all, I was mulling over how to formulate my feelings on all of the cool GWers I met at AT2, but I was afraid of sounding cheesy. Well, since so many people have already taken that plunge, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Here's my AT2 Gateworld Gushing. I'm proud of the cheese that oozes from it, because it's all true. There are some really awesome Samandans/Gateworlders out there, whom I'd love to meet up with again if given the chance.

Third of all, I don't know if I've recced this Sam video "Believe" before, but I was going through my WMV playlist, and I thought I'd recommend it anyway. I'm pretty sure it's Terrah's work. It's a very cool video, and the vidmaker does great work on a regular basis.

Also, here are two silly, show/behind-the-scenes vids, just for fun: "Cartoon Heroes" and "Crazy".

Let me know if those links don't work, though.
                    Thanks for sharing these. Some of the clips for the "Believe" clips have me guessing which episode it's from. And the other two are funny!

Comment

Originally posted by Sasusc View Post
                      Congrats, MG!
                      Yay! I just caught that post for the first time, and yes...

Way to Go, Mini!!

Thanks for sharing these. Some of the clips for the "Believe" clips have me guessing which episode it's from. And the other two are funny!
                      Yeah, I couldn't name the origin of some of those "Believe" clips if I tried. But seriously? The cast of SG-1 and Atlantis are hilarious. The behind-the-scenes stuff is pure gold. I just hope there's some sort of final behind-the-scenes special about SG-1 before it ends in May/June.

Comment

Yay! I just caught that post for the first time, and yes...

Way to Go, Mini!!

Yeah, I couldn't name the origin of some of those "Believe" clips if I tried. But seriously? The cast of SG-1 and Atlantis are hilarious. The behind-the-scenes stuff is pure gold. I just hope there's some sort of final behind-the-scenes special about SG-1 before it ends in May/June.
                        Me too! I love the behind-the-scenes stuff. I really should go take a look on my Atlantis set, since I haven't done so yet. Those were some great clips.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                          I'm not sure what the big deal is, I know that ya'll were only nice to me because you wanted to take advantage of my laptop and camera and I'm totally cool with that.
                          And what a beautiful laptop it is too. *strokes Kat's lappy*

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
                          Julia has posted her closing words to Amanda on the GABIT thread - weather you were at the con or not it was great and I suggest going over to the thread and reading the post.
                          It's all coming back. My eyes are blurring up. It was lovely.

In case you did not get my point in my last post THE G4 ROCK!
                          Hail the G4 and all their little wizards!

Originally posted by Deejay435 View Post
                          Scaripoppins? I HAVE been gone too long! Hee.
                          Deejay! Lovely to see you here!

I've finally received my sponsored confirmation today as a member of WIFTI...
                          Excellent! Go forth and network

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          hey, i know that I had an issue with the food. there literally wasn't a meal that i ate (other than a burger at mickey d's and Upper Crust sandwiches) that didnt' upset my stomach during the whole trip.
                          Oh no, we've been poisoning the foreigners I'm sorry

You know, it could be the water rather than the food itself (inc. the preparation of food - washing, cooking etc.) because I've had friends who come back to the UK after several months abroad (e.g. TEFL) and they get upset stomachs for a few days until their systems reacquaint themselves.

Of course there are some places in the world you go to and it takes more like weeks/months to get used to the local water. It's not simply a case of avoiding water except the bottled variety - it's hard to escape local water that comes into contact with food in some way.

i think the expression amanda used was 'wonky tummy'
                          She battled through that morning admirably, though, didn't she? I was impressed.
                          scarimor

Comment

I once had a regional manager who looked like George Dubya. Only he was from Dublin. Imagine, if you will, George W. with an Irish lilt.

Oh, yes.
                            Thanks for the recee!
                            <cut>
                            Congratulations! And thanks for the explanation
                            the first thing i did today, get some real breakfast and an nice cold 32 oz fountain drink. i'm heartily sick and tired of warm soda and tepid bottled water
                            Did you know refrigerators were designed specifically so people in the US could have cold drinks? Beer, specifically... We're just weird that way

On topic, I mentioned this elsewhere, but does anyone else find it a bit odd that TPTB
                            Spoiler:
                            having pushed Sam and her entire backstory to the background in S9 in favor of new and exciting characters, now their big solution to securing the future of SGA is to have her on the show... So maybe they've learned *something*. OTOH, if they detract from the SGA team with new characters (not to mention killing the doctor, and we know how well that works for 'em), maybe they learned the wrong lessons. Ya think?

Comment

Stargate Atlantis 3x12 'Echoes' spoilers:
                              Spoiler:
                              Rodney names his 'pet' whale after his girlfriend

Sheppard: You named him after Samantha Carter?
                              Rodney: Well Sam's a boys name too!
                              Last edited by Agent_Dark; 29 November 2006, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Ok, I was asked to let everyone know that:

I was just told by a good friend of Amanda's, who just spoke with her a couple hours ago about the above.

Amanda's words are quoted as , "No, No, No, No, No and NO! She really was sick from a bad burger. She is not expecting.

Hopefully this will put this rumor to bed before it grows out of proportion.
                                That's all folks!
                                Ugh. Having just recovered from food poisoning recently, I have to say I admire her even more for sticking with it and doing such a great job.

Amanda, if you're reading this, YOU ROCK!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X