Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
    No, she did mention they were still searching for funding. I don't think that's nailed down just yet.
    thanks!!

start of rant:
    regarding battlestar...sci-fi is killing Sci-Fi Fridays!!! we (had) a whole group that got together last year to watch SG-1, SGA and BG. Aargh. That was always the highlight of the week; getting to kick off the weekend with that.
    end of rant

Thank you for 10 years of Sam Carter, Amanda Tapping!
    My LJ "I Live in a Sci-Fi World"
    My Stargate (Mostly Sam Carter) Icons
    My Stargate Videos
    It's meant to be!

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy View Post
      And it niggles everybody, no matter how they want it to turn out.
      It only niggles at me because I'm online to read about it niggling at other people.

Comment

It is actually something she's said before. It's no secret that Amanda's not a shipper (per se!!!). Sam and Jack is only one (potential) aspect of Samantha Carter's character though. And I think your paragraph above is somewhat illustrative of one of the reasons why Amanda really would rather Sam be remembered differently. Sam Carter should be remembered as Sam Carter, period. Not necessarily "Sam (and Jack)" or "Sam married Jack" or "Sam, Jack's wife", etc..... here she's got this fantastic character, and the sad reality is that if Sam and Jack get married in the final episode, she'll be remembered for that more than anything else she's ever been through. As sad as that sounds, it's an unfortunate truth. I got the gist from Amanda that she wasn't against Sam having feelings for Jack at all (she did seem to indicate that she thought the line "not exactly" referred to Sam's heart still being tied up with Jack). But I also got the gist that Amanda would prefer (herself, personally) not to see them end up together due to the possible overwhelming/overshadowing impact that would have on the character she's crafted so articulately and so painstakingly for over a decade. You work that long and that hard to portray a unique and singular character, that to see her become "the girl who married the guy at the end of the series" really puts a harsh damper on all that effort. Viewers, however (and even writers) are fickle that way though. WE would all remember Sam Carter for so much more than that. The more casual rememberance of Sam would not be so thorough or so kind.

Having said that, one never knows where the movies will go. And since it seems that Rick may well be included, Amanda may not get her wish. At the end of the day, she doesn't always get to choose what Sam says or does on screen, even though she has input. So Sam/Jack shipperdom may still get their wishe(s) regardless.

It's all up in the air right now, I think!

I do belive though, that nothing concrete will happen prior to the end of season ten, given that's supposedly something of a cliffhanger anyway, and it certainly does not revolve around Jack's character.

mg
        speaking as a HUUUUUUUGE sam/jack shipper...

here are some of the eps i've recorded to keep or wish i had --

excluding the obvious shipper eps

emancipation
        singularity
        solitudes
        in the line of duty
        the tok'ra 1&2
        a matter of time
        point of view
        jolinar's memories
        the devil you know
        entity
        ascension
        desperate measures
        meridian
        revelations
        nightwalkers
        prometheus
        unnatural selection
        paradise lost
        metamorphosis
        grace
        death knell
        lost city 1&2
        new order 1&2
        gemini
        threads
        moebius 1&2

i've left out some others (because the list was growing by leaps and bounds ), but what this is saying about me is that i DON'T only see sam as half of some pairing. i never have. i've always been grooving on sam, not just shippy sam of sam/male.

when all is said an done, i'll still have those eps to see sam the scientist, sam the soldier, sam the friend, sam the team mate, sam the daughter, sam the person, sam the woman, and sam the human that fell in love with jack and was loved in return. the whole package.

if there's any one shipper or fan that only sees sam as half of a ship, then they're not looking with both eyes open. or with an open mind.

steps off soapbox

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Evening all - well I see the thread has been busy today. I just arrived home after a very long day at work. Nothing like a 13 hour day at work after a big trip.

Okay I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet. One of the questions I asked at one of the Q&A's - I commented that I realy enjoy the episode commentaries she has done on the DVDs and she said she liked doing them and would have done more but many of them have been done while filming was going on and she was busy on set. But everytime she has been asked to do one and had the free time she has done them. I also asked her if there were any from S10 she would like to do and she said that she thought the whole cast should do the 200th and that she would like to do "Road Not Taken". Once again talking about this being a good episode for Carter.

During the auction they had a 200th episode poster and hat up for auction that Amanda braught with her from Vancouver. The whole cast was given these for the 200th episode. As she was talking about it she said that when they were at the 200th party - RDA was asked how his character had changed over the 10 years and he pointed at the poster which has the current cast along with RDA, TR, and DD on it but has Ben Browder front and center and said that used to be me the big guy up front now I'm the little guy in the back. On the poster O'Neill is off to the right side and smaller than the pictures in front. Sorry I did not get a picture of the poster but maybe someone else did and you can see what it looks like.

Here are a few more cast spoilers for Atlantis - please remember that these are reports from friends I did not hear them in person from the source
          Spoiler:
          AT both Collectormania and the Burbank con the romur was confirmed that Beckett will be leaving SGA in the second half of S3 however reportedly by N J Smith he will be making return for some episode in the future. David H. also said Paul M. would be departing as a full time cast member this season at the Burbank con.

In Burbank David H. also said that Michael Beach has joined the cast of SGA. It is unclear at this point if he will be on SGA full time or recurring.

I love Tony Bennett
          Last edited by tsaxlady; 21 November 2006, 08:28 PM. Reason: Tired andworded poorly
          My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Very well said golfbooy.This issue is not going away no matter what the Actors or TPTB want.It has to be dealt with once and for all.It is the pink elephant and the Sam character will never be able to move on without a resolution.It will follow the character all the way to Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
              I think it's also a manner of execution...between finesse and overkill.

If in the right hands, it could be written well as simply a small part of her character's life...as in not featured prominently. Subtlety is the key here.

I'd only trust that to Amanda and Rick who proved many times throughout the years that they get it. Reference the force field screen in Divide and Conquer. Words would have ruined that moment I think. They knew better and played it perfectly.

Subtlety and finesse.
              Couldn't agree with you more Über (cut and paste is our friend ) that's what's been missing since S9
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                Why can't Sam be remembered as everything including being with Jack?Is it that horrible to have Sam and Jack end up together? Why not enjoy all parts of the character and not stress about being Jack's girl? TPTB did push the Sam/Jack Ship for the longest time and it would be strange for them not to end up together.It's a little late to decide now Sam should not end up with Jack.
                Yeah. I agree. I mean, why not have your cake and eat it too? There are lots of reasons to remember Sam Carter, and the ship is one of them, but not THE one. We don't need a big wedding in the last episode. Nothing like that that will be our last look at the character Sam Carter. Just some confirmation. It's not right to start something and perpetuate it then have nothing come out of it. TPTB should have never started with the ship if they didn't intend to see it through. I like Sam the soldier. I like Sam the scientist. I also like Sam's personal side. Geez, what's so wrong with her being happy with someone? The problem is not Sam finally being with Jack, but how it's ultimately handled. Give me some evidence-nothing that consumes an entire episode-and then let's move on. But no one night stands, none of that-because after all those two have been through together, when the time comes, it will be for keeps.

AH! Sorry, my shipper came out and I couldn't stop it. But there you have it.

I can't go back and read all the posts from GABIT-so many pages-but I will check out the GABIT thread and hope you've posted some of the same things there.

Comment

Actually Ses... and pardon me if I'm getting short, I'm finally hitting the wall where I do need my sleep now... but it really doesn't matter if any ship or story line is resolved or not because fans and interviewers will continue to ask the same questions over and over and over and over. It'd be kinda like someone asking you each and everytime you saw them how did you come up with your screen name. And then say, "No, really... why?", not accepting your explanation. After a while, even the most patient of people would be irritated.

And to answer you and Sal... Amanda's answer is no different on the S/J ship than what I heard her say at Shore Leave or in other interviews the past year or so. On the one hand Amanda, as an actress, is in agreement with many of us - the issue of that particular romantic relationship should have been addressed a long time ago. Not pulled and stretched out for so long that it becomes ridculous (my words, not hers). Amanda has not denied that there weren't moments or feelings between the two characters, bringing up the Divide and Conquer ep by name at AT2. But addressing the issue means resolving it, and given this particular set of PTB... a resolved relationship would never have been written well. At all.

And face it... sex sells. Angst sells. Titillation sells. And this PTB has been no different than any other in using it to keep a slice of their market share watching....

*wanders off to bed after being up 24 hours straight*
                  Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                  My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                    I think it's also a manner of execution...between finesse and overkill.

If in the right hands, it could be written well as simply a small part of her character's life...as in not featured prominently. Subtlety is the key here.

I'd only trust that to Amanda and Rick who proved many times throughout the years that they get it. Reference the force field screen in Divide and Conquer. Words would have ruined that moment I think. They knew better and played it perfectly.

Subtlety and finesse.
                    WILL YOU WRITE IT!?!

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DEM View Post
                      It only niggles at me because I'm online to read about it niggling at other people.
                      Oh come on, everybody likes to be, ahem, niggled once in a while. It's "cathartic".

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                        I can't go back and read all the posts from GABIT-so many pages-but I will check out the GABIT thread and hope you've posted some of the same things there.
                        Actually there's a mix in both, so if you want the real lowdown, you'd best read both (as I just finished doing ) More here than there to be honest if you're looking for things about the show. (Since the topic of the GABIT thread was more for the attendees to get to know one another, etc.)
                        Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                        My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy View Post
                          Alright, I'll be the dumbass who asks. What's this last bit all about? Was there some reason to think that the probable season ending cliffhanger revolves around Jack? Or were you referring to a cliffhanger for Sam Carter personally, ie ship? Or am I just being a total mental midget and spacing on the whole thing?
                          Oops. No, I was probably not clear. I meant that I don't even think Jack is in the final epsiode (personal conjecture, I don't know for sure). So that comment was meant to impart that the final episode would have nothing to do with Sam and Jack, as a result. Little too vague I suppose, people are probably looking for hidden meanings in everything these days too. lol No hidden anything in my comments, just what I was thinking. That's all.

mg

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post

Here are a few more cast spoilers for Atlantis - please remember that these are reports from friends I did not hear them in person from the source
                            Spoiler:
                            AT both Collectormania and the Burbank con the romur was confirmed that Beckett will be leaving SGA in the second half of S3 however reportedly by N J Smith he will be making return for some episode in the future. David H. also said he would be departing as a full time cast member this season.

In Burbank David H. also said that Michael Beach has joined the cast of SGA. It is unclear at this point if he will be on SGA full time or recurring.

Spoiler:
                            What! NO NO NO! I love Beckett. *cries* And David! NO!!! I've just begun to love McKay! I guess that gives AT more chances to be on SGA, but still...I don't like these cast changes. And who is Michael Beach? *sighs* It seems like they are messing up a good thing. Man, am I in a sour mood tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by uber
                              I think that's the point.

Making it such a big deal is a mistake. Make it a natural progression one way or the other. They already did the story...so show the aftermath in some form or another.

Here she went through some major life decisions and the writers think it's cute to make the conclusion ambiguous. It isn't. It just hurts her more.

Pop a ring on her finger and show it off while she's doing something really Sam like...like planting explosives or leading a mission or fidgeting with some technowhozits. Have someone else refer to it one way or the other.

Hey PTB...keeping it an issue KEEPS IT AN ISSUE. Imagine that.
                              again, will you write it?... *sighs very tiredly*

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Flythrough!

2. Hm. BSG is moving to Sunday nights in search of ratings....... wait a second, didn't Sci-Fi think cancelling SG-1 would help BSG's ratings?

mg
                                Well, that stinks! Friday nights will never be the same! Someone at SCI FI needs to be fired!
                                Originally posted by LtColonelSamC View Post
                                that's awesome!

just a fast question, did she mention if this was going to be a world-wide series , or contained to Canadian viewers...
                                NOOOOOO! It can't be only on Canadian t.v. Bite your tongue! Must be seen every where! Oh, I know Sci Fi Fridays...It is completely open now! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
                                Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                                you know how i'd like it to be handled?...

sam's already arrived at atlantis, and mckay is already hitting on her and irritating the heck out of her.

after mckay's latest flirt/insult-

~sam suddenly stops and turns back to mckay. she pulls out her dogtags~
                                sam: see this mckay? see this ring? i'm married now.

mckay: what? who???

sam: let's just say that if i didn't keep my maiden name, many people would be confused hearing a colonel o'neill being called about.

mckay: you married 'him'?

~sam turns to leave~
                                sam: i have higher connections now, mckay, so don't tick me off.

mckay: you'd sick general hubby on me?

sam: i wasn't talking about general o'neill.

~mckay frowns~

~sam smirks and walks off~
                                sam: i've gotten to know the president pretty well now...

~~~

sam-mckay banter, and easy-going ship.

hey, a girl can dream, can't she?

sally
                                That sounds good to me Sally!
                                Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
                                Scari's a very prim and proper English gentlewoman... kinda like.... Mary Poppins???!

*Ducks flying chopsticks and Smarties*

(((Scari)))
                                I am not even believing you went there...Mary Poppins...that is just so wrong.
                                Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
                                You're remembering well, Strix. She expressed some disappointment at the Shore Leave convention in July too. But she was very much more open this time. (She joked that this would hit the internet... made a funny face and voice and said that she hoped they {the PTB} wouldn't find out about what she said on about it...)

If I remember correctly at Shore Leave she shared how she came back to work and it wasn't until she read the script that she found out that Cam was leading SG-1 and her reaction was basically, hey, what about Sam and all those years spent developing her military career? But, being the type of person she is, she went to work and gave what lines/scenes they did give her, her all.

I believe there was a general explanation by her of how she came to find out and then her own personal feelings on the subject.
                                That is why it is so great that Amanda is EP! She'll have some creative control now. Too bad Stargate wasn't smart enough to replace Geko and RDA with Amanda. The show might be looking at a season 11! I'm just sayin...

Comment

Working...
                                X