Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hrh36
    re: no info. about Sam from the Vancouver convention

Question for anyone who was there: Did any convention-goers ask about Sam?

If not, that's the easy (and disappointing) explanation about why not much info. on Sam.

OTOH, if several people asked and were evaded, that is more promising regarding big stuff for Sam.

Right now, I have a sinking feeling that no news is NOT good news and that PTB are just going to play it as "ho hum, Sam's back, nice to see ya', now let's deal with crisis of the week, save the planet, galaxy, or universe" plot and move on.

hrh
    Okay I will write more later about the Con when I have time after work. But here is a little Sam info. Not much was asked about Sam during the Q & A part of the con. I did ask a few things at the dinner Fri night which Martin Gero was at and I asked a few things during the set tour along with autograph session that Martin Wood, Andy Miktia & N. John Smith did. They were not very forth coming with Sam info. I did learn that the first epsiode she will appear in starts filming this week even though Amanda is not back on set yet. They will do like they have done with RDA parts the last couple of years and film scene she will not be in and us her double to start filming her scenes. Then when she is back the will film her parts. There will be a couple of "Big" Sam stories later in the season. I was left with the feeling that her first big role will be in "The Forth Horesman".

Okay I have a class to go teach so I will write more when I can.
    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

re: no info. about Sam from the Vancouver convention

Question for anyone who was there: Did any convention-goers ask about Sam?

If not, that's the easy (and disappointing) explanation about why not much info. on Sam.

OTOH, if several people asked and were evaded, that is more promising regarding big stuff for Sam.

Right now, I have a sinking feeling that no news is NOT good news and that PTB are just going to play it as "ho hum, Sam's back, nice to see ya', now let's deal with crisis of the week, save the planet, galaxy, or universe" plot and move on.

hrh
      Well you could try asking Martin Gero...he's online right now and taking questions...

I've primarily asked SGA questions (because I'm trying to get into the show more) but I did slip in that Sam question. Okay, McKAY AND SAM question...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam

ChopinGal, to be perfectly honest I've already developed a distinct *feel* for Sam from the screengrabs posted on here - she's definitely a right bonnie lass (translation: an extremely good-looking person of the female gender)...

... and if there's one thing I do find attractive above all else, it's an expressive face.

1s4S
        1s4S

That's laudable in a male admirer - looking at an expressive face. I think it would be best to refrain from S7 Chimera because you may get distracted by the rest of her anatomy!

Seriously, Chimera takes a sudden turn for the worse about halfway through ... and doesn't seem to recover from the collateral damage until the end of S8. It was a side of Sam many fans wanted to see - her personal life - but how it was written and developed left many fans upset (to put it mildly).

I think you want to see the soldier/scientist Sam as introduced in the early seasons first without the glam Sam in Chimera. You have to build up your enthusiasm slowly - trust me! You may get the wrong impression from Chimera ...

Instead, you can rent the DVD movie called The Void in which you'll see a more sexy and alluring AT as a different character in another role. The movie is not all that good, but Amanda, once again, gives a terrific portrayal of her character. She is Canada's hidden treasure - one of the best actors out there!

Whatever you watch ... enjoy!

CG

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          ROFL... I'm a bit curious as to what AT might say in the Illustrated Companion about dress she wore in that episode and how much it revealed. She definitely wasn't going to get mistaken for a boy that's for sure.

I recently bought the Illustrated Companions and last night I read the season 1-2 book. I thought AT's comments for Emancipation were quite amusing.

"I just remember that dress," shudders AT. Refering to the diaphanous blue affair which showed more than a suggestion of cleavage, she grins, "When the SG-1 guys and crew first saw it they all went 'Woohoo!' I just looked at them and said, 'You know guys, smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors. There's a lot of push me-pull you working here.' That's all it ever was and is all it's ever going to be!"

I'm sure she had a great time showing Sam's more feminine side and she really looked great in that espisode, especially the opening scene. It's funny being female myself... I'm so used to Sam always just looking like one of the guys that when that scene started the first thing I thought of to myself was 'Wow...Sam really cleans up nice'. Unlike with Emancipation where I sat there staring at the television asking myself 'Egads...what the hell is she wearing??'

I could definitely see myself responding like Sam if I was caught dead in that get-up they had her in. The dress in itself wasn't so bad...ok it was bad...but the headdress...*shivers*.

Kat
          Great post, Kat! Understatement of the Year: "Sam cleans up nice"!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            Great post, Kat! Understatement of the Year: "Sam cleans up nice"!
            As horrific as her get up was in Emancipation...it was all worth it for this line:

Sam: Daniel, find me an anthropologist that dresses like this and I will eat this headdress.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Guess That Episode

Comment

I have a guess, but I don't know how to hide my answer in spoiler tags. So how's this . . .
                s
                p
                o
                i
                l
                e
                r
                Zero Hour.

hrh

Comment

Re: not many questions about Sam at the Vancouver convention is actually not good news, 'cause that sends TPTB the message IMO that Sam is not missed. Which lets 'em off the hook to give her a big story.

Re: AT being the star of the show is very much a personal opinion. Sure, her Sam is my favorite character, but even so, I prefer ensemble casts so I think she, MS, and CJ are equal stars of the show. After all, it is called SG-1, so I think all members of SG-1 are the stars.

Personally, I've always thought of it as an ensemble show 'cause I'm not an RDA fan, but I realize he had other hit TV shows so they put him over the title and made use of his fame to draw viewers. OK, whatever.

But after the first few episodes I think it settled nicely into an ensemble show.

Besides, if PTB think AT is now the star, then why did they bring in BB? I'm still not happy about that because I think the remaining 3 stars (AT, MS, CJ) would carry the show just fine, thank you very much.

Not to mention there are fans who think MS is the star. And others who think CJ is the star (hence the "Should CJ get his own spinoff" thread going on in S9 folder).

I think it's a good idea to prevent fan wars over something that is really personal opinion (since PTB went ahead and hired another "star") by not declaring one or the other actors as the star, but simply as one's favorite.

IOW, the Big Three are equal stars in terms of the show. Sam/AT is my favorite in terms of personal opinion.

Which means so far S9 for me is looking less than stellar. . . .

hrh

Comment

That would be infuriating!

Comment

ROFL... I'm a bit curious as to what AT might say in the Illustrated Companion about dress she wore in that episode and how much it revealed. She definitely wasn't going to get mistaken for a boy that's for sure.

I recently bought the Illustrated Companions and last night I read the season 1-2 book. I thought AT's comments for Emancipation were quite amusing.

"I just remember that dress," shudders AT. Refering to the diaphanous blue affair which showed more than a suggestion of cleavage, she grins, "When the SG-1 guys and crew first saw it they all went 'Woohoo!' I just looked at them and said, 'You know guys, smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors. There's a lot of push me-pull you working here.' That's all it ever was and is all it's ever going to be!"

I'm sure she had a great time showing Sam's more feminine side and she really looked great in that espisode, especially the opening scene. It's funny being female myself... I'm so used to Sam always just looking like one of the guys that when that scene started the first thing I thought of to myself was 'Wow...Sam really cleans up nice'. Unlike with Emancipation where I sat there staring at the television asking myself 'Egads...what the hell is she wearing??'

I could definitely see myself responding like Sam if I was caught dead in that get-up they had her in. The dress in itself wasn't so bad...ok it was bad...but the headdress...*shivers*.

Kat
                      Great comments, Kat! I totally agree with you about that horrid get-up in Emancipation... I felt so sorry for both Sam and AT!

Comment

Personally I'm not a shipper in general. Since it's beginnings I have loved the show, the characters, the storylines, the adventure. I fell in love with the characters of Sam and Jack...and in time found myself drawn into their personal feelings for one another. I think I liked it because it was very subtle... at least in the beginning. You could take it or leave it. I know it bothers some that it's been eight years now and we haven't seen these two shacked up, but I for one am actually quite happy we haven't. I think it's what has made their relationship that much more special in terms of television couples. It takes a unique step beyond just a physical relationship. AT and RDA have done a exemplary job of expressing deep concern, respect and love between these two characters without giving an impression that their relationship is driving purely on desire. It is for this reason and this reason only that I call myself a S/J shipper. Because I truly love this unique relationshp between these two wonderful characters.

As for other relationships... I don't mine seeing Teal'c and Ishta together on screen. I think it's nice to see Teal'c in a less than formal atmosphere where he can let down his barriers for a bit and just be himself. However, I would not continue watching the show simply to see this type of interaction.

However, I abhor the relationship I saw in "Prometheus Unbound". The fact that the producers really seem to think that this was a great episode and that Vala/Daniel had great chemistry (the reason for bringing Vala back for five episodes) makes me shudder. I'm truly frightened that this is the direction Stargate is taking.

I read in the companion last night that RDA absolutely hated the "Hathor" episode and the character of Hathor. Perhaps it was because she used sex as a means to take control over the men of SGC. In my opinion Daniel was raped in the episode, but as horrible as this all was... the show is one of my favorites because it was taken somewhat seriously. Hathor was a serious threat to the SGC and it allowed us to see the women of the SGC show what they were made of. There were some lighter moments to the show but never once did I feel they were making a big joke out what was happening to the men.

But Prometheus Unbound was nothing more than a sexual romp that the producers and writers seem to think was extremely funny. I sat for 60 minutes trying to find some reason to like the episode and the character of Vala and came up with nothing. I found Vala's character to be sexually crude and extremely manipulative. I really do not enjoy watching women being beaten or hit, but I found myself staring at the television thinking... 'For god sakes Daniel beat the cr*p out of her!' I hated how she treated Daniel and more so how he was once again made to look weak and incapable of taking care of himself. I understand he's not in the miliatry, but after nine years even someone like Daniel should have learned a few things. My fourteen year old has been taking KungFu for two years and he can probably defend himself better than Daniel already.

I'm really bothered that we have now been given information of nearly eight episodes and not one really gives more than a glimmer of what Sam will be doing next season. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook and be happy that we have yet another season with our SG Team. I know some people are true shippers. They enjoy watching the relationships on the show. I understand that completely. I want to see relationships grow as well. I want to see a real bond between Sam and Teal'c.. I want to see the relationship grow and expand between Sam and Daniel... between Teal'c and Daniel. This is my team...this is the reason I have watched Stargate for the past eight years.

I just hope that when TPTB say that I'm going to be 'floored' by season nine that it's in a good way and not by another episode like PU. I apologize to anyone who enjoyed PU. Perhaps I just have the wrong sense of humour to truly enjoy it. Maybe if what we saw was only 5 or 10 minutes within the episode it wouldn't have bothered me so much, but 48 minutes was a bit too much for my taste.
                        Great post, Kat!

Originally posted by foreversg1
                        And to get back on topic...

HERE'S HOPING WE SEE SAM
                        BACK IN ACTION WITH THE TEAM SOON!!!
                        Love the pic! Great shot!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                          As horrific as her get up was in Emancipation...it was all worth it for this line:

Sam: Daniel, find me an anthropologist that dresses like this and I will eat this headdress.

Poor AT/Sam... she looks like an aunt whose nieces have made her play dress-up! And that expression on her face... barely controlled disgust and outrage!

Comment

Guess That Episode

My guess:
                            Spoiler:
                            Zero Hour... some of the few seconds that we got to see Sam was in charge off-world. But don't blink!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                              My guess:
                              Spoiler:
                              Zero Hour... some of the few seconds that we got to see Sam was in charge off-world. But don't blink!
                              Wow.

That was really snarky of you. Almost hostile even.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thank you!!!

Comment

Re: not many questions about Sam at the Vancouver convention is actually not good news, 'cause that sends TPTB the message IMO that Sam is not missed. Which lets 'em off the hook to give her a big story.

Re: AT being the star of the show is very much a personal opinion. Sure, her Sam is my favorite character, but even so, I prefer ensemble casts so I think she, MS, and CJ are equal stars of the show. After all, it is called SG-1, so I think all members of SG-1 are the stars.

Personally, I've always thought of it as an ensemble show 'cause I'm not an RDA fan, but I realize he had other hit TV shows so they put him over the title and made use of his fame to draw viewers. OK, whatever.

But after the first few episodes I think it settled nicely into an ensemble show.

Besides, if PTB think AT is now the star, then why did they bring in BB? I'm still not happy about that because I think the remaining 3 stars (AT, MS, CJ) would carry the show just fine, thank you very much.

Not to mention there are fans who think MS is the star. And others who think CJ is the star (hence the "Should CJ get his own spinoff" thread going on in S9 folder).

I think it's a good idea to prevent fan wars over something that is really personal opinion (since PTB went ahead and hired another "star") by not declaring one or the other actors as the star, but simply as one's favorite.

IOW, the Big Three are equal stars in terms of the show. Sam/AT is my favorite in terms of personal opinion.

Which means so far S9 for me is looking less than stellar. . . .

hrh
                                Wow! Everyone has made such great posts... Great observations and comments and opinions. I just love getting to read all the wonderful posts - I look forward to checking out the new posts on this thread every day!

The apparent 'lack of Sam' in the Season 9 spoilers is excrutiating torture... and my imagination is in overdrive coming up with storylines that they might use to explain Sam's absence and her reintegration with the team.

I am hoping that they bring Sam back with some wonderful, 'big', 'blow them away' scifi... and I will be furious if they do the 'hi, glad you're back, now we're on to the next galactic crisis' scenario that was mentioned a few posts back. They did such a fantastic job with Daniel's character when MS left, while he was gone (he appeared as an Ascended) and then when he came back and since he's been back... taking on Anubis single-handedly, taking on Replicarter with his mind.. and then taking on all of the Ascended (to get them/Oma to deal with Anubis). The depth and scifi potential that they have created for Daniel's character is impressive. He's truly a scifi legendary character now.

Hopefully, we'll see some great creativity and positive storylines for Sam in Season 9.

Now as tortorous and excruciating as the waiting is (and I am amazed at how painful it is), I have been wondering if a big reason that we aren't hearing much about Sam's involvement in Season 9 is because they are still trying to figure out how much AT will be available? Perhaps AT is still deciding how/when she wants to come back and how she wants to juggle the show and the baby? Perhaps we aren't hearing much because they are giving AT the time and space to figure things out? I know that there is a contract for 15 episodes, but AT has been a rock-solid, reliable worker for them for 8 years... maybe they are giving her some space? Now I'm just musing over this... I could be completely and utterly wrong... perhaps they aren't that nice... maybe they really don't care... I just don't know... but I'd like to think they are that considerate...

Whatever the reason, the waiting is excrutiating... but if it's because AT needs or wants the time, then I have to begrudgingly admit that she deserves it (and that's so hard, because I want Sam on the screen! )

As a Sam-fan, I am nervous and uncertain over the unfolding facets that we are seeing for Season 9. It seems like they have set things up so that they could simply leave Sam out if they wanted/needed to (but again, perhaps it's because they don't know when AT will actually be back?) It is unsettling... when MS left... Daniel left a hero and they showed the team as having a difficult time accepting a 'replacment' for him. I'm not getting those vibes at all for Sam's absence.

Vala has Sam's used-to-be-a-host Goa'uld tech-use abilities... Vala is a kick-ass and take names later character... Vala is a hard-charging female lead... the new doctor coming in will be the General's daughter (replacing the Sam-Jacob relationship?).... it just seems like they set out to replace Sam... or am I paranoid?

Comment

Working...
                                X