Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    don't read interviews. don't listen to interviews. don't pay attention to anyone that does this show anymore. you're safer (and happier) that way.

sally
    And who said Sally wasn't smart
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

Did they get away with it?

It sure looks like it to me.
      actually, they didn't. they're now tryining to fix things, but i think it's too late. i think the poor ratings of season 10 are the direct result of the poor season 9. so the only thing they truly got away with is destroying their own show.

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        don't read interviews. don't listen to interviews. don't pay attention to anyone that does this show anymore. you're safer (and happier) that way.

sally
        Yeah I listened to that also. It was stuck in there so slyly, I almost didn't even catch it...but yeah...It makes me mad. I think they should have made Mitchell a Major, and avoided all of this confusion....
        my lovely avatar is courtesy of Lies, SamJackShipLover

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
          Great post, AstroG!!

Spoiler:
          did the get away with it, though? Not according to the ratings. I know there are various reasons why the ratings went down in season 9, and now very low in season 10, but I think one of them is this leadership issue. Too bad really. They could have used BB so much better than they have and kept Sam in sole command of SG-1.
          Spoiler:
          I'm with you. The ratings say they didn't get away with all the changes, and the leadership issue is (IMO) the biggest issue for a lot of fans (not just the women either).

I am really glad we got to see Sam in command of the base. I'm even kind of glad she didn't sit in the chair. While she has earned the right to sit there, it would have been uncharacteristic, and this week Sam was completely in character (AT must be winning some battles).

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
            Sounds to me like a continuation of the episode Revisions...I thought they left that planet...oh maybe they went back and brought the computer with them, and now its rewriting everything
            or maybe they're still there!?!

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
              Spoiler:
              I'm with you. The ratings say they didn't get away with all the changes, and the leadership issue is (IMO) the biggest issue for a lot of fans (not just the women either).

I am really glad we got to see Sam in command of the base. I'm even kind of glad she didn't sit in the chair. While she has earned the right to sit there, it would have been uncharacteristic, and this week Sam was completely in character (AT must be winning some battles).
              Spoiler:

I was happy, too! I'm glad we have AT to look out for Sam. Even more glad that Sam was incharge of the base, NOT Mitchell. It's not that I don't like the guy, but Sam's in command!

Comment

Originally posted by SamO'Neill
                Yeah I listened to that also. It was stuck in there so slyly, I almost didn't even catch it...but yeah...It makes me mad. I think they should have made Mitchell a Major, and avoided all of this confusion....
                Or more accurately...should have KEPT Mitchell a Major.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                  Actually I disagree. First, not all thrill seekers are rash. Just because they might do things that other people might find frightening, doesn't make them rash. Rashness, by definition, is acting without thought. Thrill seeking does not necessarily include acting imprudently.

Second, people can be rash without being thrill seeking at all. People make rash decisions in their careers, in their relationships with families. People can be rash and emotional and screw up every conversation they're in because they don't stop and think through their decisions. But it has nothing to do with thrill seeking.

We've seen rash behavior from Mitchell, but it doesn't follow from his rashness that it's because he's an thrill seeker.

All we've got to go on to define Mitch as a thrill seeker is him saying he is.

You may not like Space Race, but I think it does show Sam's thrill seeking side. We see her agreeing to Warrick's proposition without waiting for General Hammond's approval, because she wants to be in the race that badly. We see how much more excited she is for this mission than most others she goes on, so much so that it warrants comment from Daniel. We see her grinning from ear to ear at the 'fun' involved in a race she's already been told will be very dangerous. It doesn't matter if the race scenes were filmed boringly. It's Sam's anticipation, her excitment at the idea of being in a dangerous race in a space ship that highlights that aspect of her character. We see the normally mature, prim Air Force Major bubbling like a little girl over the prospect of something pretty darn thrilling.
                  Space Race was excellent! After watching that episode, I think Sam might be the biggest thrill seeker on the team! I love that side of her character. I wish we could see it more often.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                    You'll hafta do better than that, folks.

I only discovered that Sam was an AJ because AT said so in an interview. I would never have come to that conclusion from watching her as she is portrayed on the show.

(BTW, this is in no way a poor reflection on either AT or SC, but on the PTB who IMO, only tell us rather than show us that AT is an AJ - whoo! Alphabet soup!)

C'mon, civilian "problem-with-heights" Daniel jumped out of the plane just as easily as Sam did. And Sam didn't give a whoop of joy, Jack didn't have to give her an "easy there, you crazy AJ" warning or anything that could have easily been written into the script which might have hinted at Sam's need for thrills. There was nothing in her jump to distinguish her from any of the others - aside from Teal'c, who thought the humans were all equally crazy.

As for thrill seeking, or Adrenaline rushs, I dunno; it seems to me that too much planning just sucks the thrill right out of it. Adrenaline junkies always seek bigger and more dangerous ways to get their rush and they are usually pretty enthusiastic about it. And when an AJ does not get her/his fix they can get pretty antsy, too. And I just don't see Sam that way. That's why she felt she "really had nothing else to do" when, in Ascension, she was given down time. Seems to me that a thrill seeker would have jumped at the chance to take her bikes to the salt flats in Utah or something.

I'm not saying that things don't thrill Sam - she loves tech and a good mystery involving tech and she'd make a damm good detective, too, IMO. But an AJ has to have certain personality traits and they have to be shown doing certain things to be convincing on tv, and Sam just doesn't come across, to me, as that sort of person.
                    I agree with about fifty percent of what you have said. I really don't think the writers have done a very good job at showing Sam as a adrenaline junkie. They have had plenty of times to really show Sam as going for the rush, but I think part of the reasons we don't see Sam that way is because in most instances when someone is going for that 'high' their lives may be on the line, but the world's isn't.

We rarely get to see Sam in a situation when she's only risking her own life. It's alot harder to just sit back and enjoy the rush when you only have thirty minutes to find a solution to the problem. I think perhaps for Sam, being an adrenaline junkie and being an astrophycists are two sides of a same coin. When she's at work, the AJ really has to be left at home, because other people's life are at stake if she's not concentrating completely on the task at hand; however, outside of work when she's allowed to let her brain turn off for a minute that may change.

I guess I just look at my husband. He has absolutely no fears that I know of; he's one of the first people to step up when someone's asked to do something crazy. He was raised around motorcycles. He was racing mini-bikes at the age of five. When I met him, he drove nearly 100+mph on a regular basis and didn't even think about it. It was just something he did for the thrill. He loves heights. When it comes to amusement parks, the more frightening the ride the better. He loves skydiving, but I've asked him to give that up for my own sanity. He's afraid of nothing and I'm afraid of my own shadow. Very strange combination.

It's only since we've been together and had our daughter that I can see him really holding himself back. He consciously does things differently now because he knows our lives are at risk as well; but that doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy taking the risk any less, just as Sam might feel when she's given a chance to just enjoy the moment. I mean it's one thing to get a thrill out of doing something wild and adventurerous, and it's something totally different when you allow that lust for a thrill to cloud your judgement especially with the kind of job that Sam has.

Personally I really haven't seen Sam or Cam shown as adrenaline junkies. We've been told that they both are, but we really haven't seen it. Cameron definitely has a severe case of nervous energy at times, but he's been written so up and down that it's really hard to draw any real conclusions. In some episodes he acts totally wired, like he can't sit still, but in other's he seems rather calm and somber. But maybe they have him on meds now to help keep him calmed down. Who knows?

ETA: Regarding Dem's post about the drop Sam made in 2001. I don't think Sam had an excited expression on her face when she dropped for multiple reasons: 1) As an scientist she knew the exact velocity she'd be entering and exiting the Stargate without any means to slow her decent or pad her fall. 2) She only had a matter of seconds to drop from her position and have the iris closed so that the Aschen didn't release a deadly toxin and 3) She was leaving a man behind who to her knowledge would likely be killed. All these things probably weighed very heavily on Sam's mind, which left very little room for her to enjoy the thrill of the fall. I think the look on Sam's face says it all.

2001 Fall
                    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 13 August 2006, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      Or more accurately...should have KEPT Mitchell a Major.
                      Exactly. Then him being so clueless could be handled. Sam could take control of him, and so on. I mean, he asked for SG-1, not for control of it. Otherwise, at the time, he would have been TAKING Sam's control...

I don't know....Maybe TPTB thought Major Mitchell sounded funny or something...

Comment

Exactly. Then him being so clueless could be handled. Sam could take control of him, and so on. I mean, he asked for SG-1, not for control of it. Otherwise, at the time, he would have been TAKING Sam's control...

Major Mitchell does sound kind of goofy, but they could have changed his name.

By the way congrats on 100 posts SamO'Neill!

Comment

Well, they had Captain Carter...and Colonel Carter. Major Mitchell would have been fine.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                            Well, they had Captain Carter...and Colonel Carter. Major Mitchell would have been fine.
                            Major Mitchell is actually a breed of cockatoo here in Australia :O

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                              ETA: Regarding DEM's post about the drop Sam made in 2001. I don't think Sam had an excited expression on her face when she dropped for multiple reasons....
                              Thanks for the reply, Kat. I just watched the scene, and it turns out I misremembered how long that drop lasted. I swear in my head Carter is flying free for days. Anyway, I had thought there were sort of 2 distinct emotion-phases of the fall: 1) the Faxon phase where she's still thinking about Joe and 2) the flying phase where she's figuratively let go. In my defence, when the frames where Carter is completely free-falling are viewed in isolation it's hard to tell that the look on her face (with upturned lips) is 'concern' or concentration or sumpin rather than 'relaxing into the ride'.

(I made the mistake of letting the ep play out thru the end. Oy, that gateroom scene! blech)

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                                Thanks for the reply, Kat. I just watched the scene, and it turns out I misremembered how long that drop lasted. I swear in my head Carter is flying free for days. Anyway, I had thought there were sort of 2 distinct emotion-phases of the fall: 1) the Faxon phase where she's still thinking about Joe and 2) the flying phase where she's figuratively let go. In my defence, when the frames where Carter is completely free-falling are viewed in isolation it's hard to tell that the look on her face (with upturned lips) is 'concern' or concentration or sumpin rather than 'relaxing into the ride'.

(I made the mistake of letting the ep play out thru the end. Oy, that gateroom scene! blech)
                                Yeah I rewatched it tonight several times. Once in slow motion. Eiyeee! I'm not sure if that's Amanda or a stunt double but it doesn't look like a fun ride down.

Just to lighten the mood a bit tonight, I've uploaded a clip from Uninvited onto youtube.com. It's my favorite part.

King Kong

Comment

Working...
                                X