• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1
    But as I recall, she was the first one to jump out
    Aside from O'Neill she was probably the only one with experience (sp). LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
      actually, you did a very good job avoiding WSL. let's see if i can (it's in my blood, i tell ya!)
      Spoiler:
      i agree, i think they did get away with it, despite chocdoc's point about the ratings. they got away with it because they haven't been forced to change it, and i seriously doubt they ever will be. though they did loose some fans in the process--ironically, probably more due to the muddy water than the actual demotion--i think they may actually make a clean getaway. and it sickens me. (angers me too.) but i think you're wrong about how qualified they write them. mitchell is as qualified as they show him, providing it fits with past events. otherwise i, at least, will just chuck it. they screwed up, i'm not buying into their dropped hint lines about special forces. mitchell is not special forces, you showed me that. now you're just lying. carter is as qualified as she's been shown and written in the past. which, IMO, is very. you can't illogically write her into command of the SGC and expect me to forgive you. you can't remind me of weir and expect me to think you're not sexist. you write the best officer for the job out of a position because, at least at it’s most basic (and i’ll be damned if i care about the rest), she’s a woman and not a man, and i’m going to think you’re sexist. why am i saying "you"? sorry astro.

* nods in total agreement with Astro & PR *
      -

Comment

But as I recall, she was the first one to jump out
        Yes. If kes is referring to what I think she is, I chalked it up to the unplanned nature of the jump. There are several lines and reaction shots of Jack "I've done it hundreds of times And Have a Master's Badge to Prove it" O'Neill being unhappy about it.

Once they've geared up, however, Carter stepped right up and flew. In contrast, Teal'c tried not to wet his pants and Daniel gupled & grimaced a few times. Carter's jump was notable for how unremarkable (skilled) it was. I do wish, though, that there had been a nice GLEE! shot.

Comment

You'll hafta do better than that, folks.

I only discovered that Sam was an AJ because AT said so in an interview. I would never have come to that conclusion from watching her as she is portrayed on the show.

(BTW, this is in no way a poor reflection on either AT or SC, but on the PTB who IMO, only tell us rather than show us that AT is an AJ - whoo! Alphabet soup!)

C'mon, civilian "problem-with-heights" Daniel jumped out of the plane just as easily as Sam did. And Sam didn't give a whoop of joy, Jack didn't have to give her an "easy there, you crazy AJ" warning or anything that could have easily been written into the script which might have hinted at Sam's need for thrills. There was nothing in her jump to distinguish her from any of the others - aside from Teal'c, who thought the humans were all equally crazy.

As for thrill seeking, or Adrenaline rushs, I dunno; it seems to me that too much planning just sucks the thrill right out of it. Adrenaline junkies always seek bigger and more dangerous ways to get their rush and they are usually pretty enthusiastic about it. And when an AJ does not get her/his fix they can get pretty antsy, too. And I just don't see Sam that way. That's why she felt she "really had nothing else to do" when, in Ascension, she was given down time. Seems to me that a thrill seeker would have jumped at the chance to take her bikes to the salt flats in Utah or something.

I'm not saying that things don't thrill Sam - she loves tech and a good mystery involving tech and she'd make a damm good detective, too, IMO. But an AJ has to have certain personality traits and they have to be shown doing certain things to be convincing on tv, and Sam just doesn't come across, to me, as that sort of person.
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Well, in 'Chimera' Jack asked if she'd gotten pulled over for speeding again. Sam could quite possibly have a lead foot.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
              Well, in 'Chimera' Jack asked if she'd gotten pulled over for speeding again. Sam could quite possibly have a lead foot.
              That one has been raised and dismissed.

Comment

Originally posted by kes
                Aside from O'Neill she was probably the only one with experience (sp). LOL
                Yup. IMO, that doesn't make her an AJ so much as it makes her a damm good soldier.

Now, if the challenge had been, show me 'good soldier!' Sam, I know that I'd have inundated with wonderful posts and pics of Sam at her most kick-a$$, but AJ? I got nothin'
                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                  Yes. If kes is referring to what I think she is, I chalked it up to the unplanned nature of the jump. There are several lines and reaction shots of Jack "I've done it hundreds of times And Have a Master's Badge to Prove it" O'Neill being unhappy about it.

Once they've geared up, however, Carter stepped right up and flew. In contrast, Teal'c tried not to wet his pants and Daniel gupled & grimaced a few times. Carter's jump was notable for how unremarkable (skilled) it was. I do wish, though, that there had been a nice GLEE! shot.
                  Right but if she is an AJ or even liked doing it, unplanned or not, she should have been psyched

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                  [...]
                  C'mon, civilian "problem-with-heights" Daniel jumped out of the plane just as easily as Sam did. And Sam didn't give a whoop of joy, Jack didn't have to give her an "easy there, you crazy AJ" warning or anything that could have easily been written into the script which might have hinted at Sam's need for thrills. There was nothing in her jump to distinguish her from any of the others - aside from Teal'c, who thought the humans were all equally crazy.
                  [...]
                  Totally agree.
                  I think she just has a need for speed. That doesnt make her an AJ thou.
                  Last edited by kes; 13 August 2006, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                    You'll hafta do better than that, folks.
                    if ya say so.

C'mon, civilian "problem-with-heights" Daniel jumped out of the plane just as easily as Sam did.
                    I disagree. I just watched that scene (and missed the first 3 minutes of The 4400 for my trouble; oh, look, there's Maybourne!). Daniel was in no way as comfortable jumping as Carter and O'Neill were.

And Sam didn't give a whoop of joy, Jack didn't have to give her an "easy there, you crazy AJ" warning or anything that could have easily been written into the script which might have hinted at Sam's need for thrills.
                    I agree.

As for thrill seeking, or Adrenaline rushs, I dunno; it seems to me that too much planning just sucks the thrill right out of it.
                    This is a myth. It may look deadly to the layperson. 'Extreme' sports enthusiasts who fail to plan sufficiently are maimed or dead.

I'm not saying that things don't thrill Sam - she loves tech and a good mystery involving tech and she'd make a damm good detective, too, IMO. But an AJ has to have certain personality traits and they have to be shown doing certain things to be convincing on tv, and Sam just doesn't come across, to me, as that sort of person.
                    I don't disagree that many things could have been done more convincingly wrt all of the characters; but I will have to agree to disagree with you on this one. We've given several examples of *actual* AJ hobbies and interests. The scenes did not convince you, but that doesn't mean they didn't happen.

On a related note (that would take too long to explain in detail): Many, many months ago a friend and I were trying to apply a communication- /decision-making style scheme to the pre-S9 characters. After much tussle, we realised that Carter was best placed, IOO, in the rare Logic+Emotion category. Logical, linear, rational, yes; but also given to bursts of free-thinking, freewheelingness, or similar traits.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      Uninvited
                      Spoiler:
                      So did anyone else notice the comment by Mitchell in Uninvited where he also said he was an adrenaline junkie? I was sure someone would be jumping all over that one by now.
                      continued 'uninvited' spoilers

Spoiler:
                      the only comment from mitchell that i remember is him talking about his 'special forces' training. i hope he was joking, because i don't like them suddenly making him 'qualified' when the writers knew he wasn't beforehand.

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                        if ya say so.

I disagree. I just watched that scene (and missed the first 3 minutes of The 4400 for my trouble; oh, look, there's Maybourne!). Daniel was in no way as comfortable jumping as Carter and O'Neill were.
                        Yeh but he did it. And if you have a problem with heights and never did that before...cant be easy lol Actually if you never did before you'll most likelly get yourself killed or seriosly injured but this is tv

Comment

Originally posted by kes
                          Yeh but he did it.
                          So did Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                            So did Teal'c.
                            Teal'c is a warrior
                            But the scientist did too. Thou we dont really know how qualified she really is.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              continued 'uninvited' spoilers

Spoiler:
                              the only comment from mitchell that i remember is him talking about his 'special forces' training. i hope he was joking, because i don't like them suddenly making him 'qualified' when the writers knew he wasn't beforehand.

sally
                              Sounds to me like a continuation of the episode Revisions...I thought they left that planet...oh maybe they went back and brought the computer with them, and now its rewriting everything
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Don't ask the question, I'm afraid we might not like the answer, but if you really want to be depressed to the aol.com stargate page and watch Beau Bridges talk about the episode http://television.aol.com/feature/stargate-sg1-tv
                                don't read interviews. don't listen to interviews. don't pay attention to anyone that does this show anymore. you're safer (and happier) that way.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X