Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
    haha, while watching my Season 6 boxset, I decided to watch the season 7 lowdown again - Amanda is such a rofl'er

She has her hand up her shirt (for reasons unkown... o.O) and says in this very funny Indian accent "I play in the shadow of the Valley of Death", then looks at the camera and goes "I get to play with myself, its great"

For all of you going to the Shore Leave convention - you have to get Amanda to do a Ralph Wiggum voice (seeing as its her favourite Simpsons character) and record it
    Ok this is really freaky, you and I both reside in the same state (just not sure what town) but I just happen to be doing exactly the same thing yesterday - watching the lowdown and LMAO at AT comment "I get to play with myself".
    This is so weird - you don't live next door do you????? How coool LOL!!!
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
      Well you've done it before Sel and you started this off so well....looking forward to an ending. Will Jack be in it somewhere???
      Right now, I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to take any of the story.

Although, of course Jack would be in it somewhere! At the least, Sam would take him up to show off her ship and point out all the really cool mods while he just watches her (not the ship) and grins. At the most, she'd take him on the inaugural journey as a kind of 'independant observer'. And then chaos would probably happen and they'd have to get out of it...

See, I can talk in generalities, but the specifics blow my brain right now.

Sel.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        Stolen from the Sam and Vala thread, a cap from a s10 preview

Spoiler:

Check out Carter's left-hand - looks like a P90 to me. Left hand P90 -- right hand Zat - now Carter gets to be a double-fisted shooter too, not just Teal'c.

Comment

I have enjoyed reading everyones ideas about a spin off but I don't want to see it take place on a ship - this is Stargate hence there is a gate to go through, I think we've done the spaceship thing with Farscape and Star Trek. Although I do like the idea of an Asgard ship being named "The Samantha Carter". And I like AT/Sam Carter being on SG1 - I don't want to see her go. Anyway I'm sorry but that just happens to be how I feel about it. What do you think?!!!!! This is a great thread by the way - love it heaps!!
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Ok this is really freaky, you and I both reside in the same state (just not sure what town) but I just happen to be doing exactly the same thing yesterday - watching the lowdown and LMAO at AT comment "I get to play with myself".
            This is so weird - you don't live next door do you????? How coool LOL!!!
            zomg, way too weird

Comment

I like the idea of a ship based mobile SGC.. ie a giant ship with a gateroom on board, so all they have to do is be in orbit around a planet to dial out. Sam's cracked some kind of code in the gate network programming that gives her admin access to the network and allows her to add planets without gates, masking them so the network thinks they have a gate temporarily. That way they are able to travel to other distant galaxies and remain in contact with Earth and other sites. Oh and that's possible because she's reverse engineered a Prior's staff and worked out how to harness the energy output in such a way as to power the gate enough to do cross-galaxy connects (I'm sure it involves handshaking protocols somewhere along the way.. or maybe a VPN login ). Given the magnitude I don't think I'd put Sam in charge of the ship, possibly Jack (they're married in my version) in command of the ship while Sam commands all the operational (ie she gets to do all the cool shi....) stuff. Then you have Daniel now based on Atlantis popping in from time to time and Teal'c doing the same from his position leading the free Jaffa.

I know most concepts involved have been done in some sci-fi show or another, but then I think you'd be hard pressed to do anything in the SG universe at this point that hasn't really been done somehow (although I'm not sure any of them can bounce back to Earth at will). So I'm up for a mish mash of concepts that puts Carter firmly at lead status and introduces a new set of issues and adventures.

But I think I'm dreaming... still it's a fun place I visit in my head now and then

I have enjoyed reading everyones ideas about a spin off but I don't want to see it take place on a ship - this is Stargate hence there is a gate to go through, I think we've done the spaceship thing with Farscape and Star Trek. Although I do like the idea of an Asgard ship being named "The Samantha Carter". And I like AT/Sam Carter being on SG1 - I don't want to see her go. Anyway I'm sorry but that just happens to be how I feel about it. What do you think?!!!!! This is a great thread by the way - love it heaps!!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                Wow... that last pic is quite stunning

I've never really paid that much attention to Sam & Teal'c, but it is one of those lovely little latent constants in the mythos of SG-1, I can't remember a time where Teal'c ever raised a hand to Carter.. the times he was not quite on our side included... or am I wrong there?
                Well he's never raised a hand to her but he did fire his staff weapon at her in Enemies. Does that count?

*giggles*

I've loved the Sam/Teal'c aspect. I love that Chris and Amanda have chosen to play on it. Gemini had some really great moments like that. Heroes did too. I just LOVE them together and I really hope we'll get some Sam and Teal'c moments next year because Season 9 was so barren of any real intercharacter relationships...with few exceptions. Most notably for me was that moment between Sam and Teal'c in Ethon when he saw she was okay.

You hear me Chris? Amanda?!?? Please give us more of those moments.

Please?

I'm beggin' here.

*begs pathetically*

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                  Dude. Are these mags any good, because the subscription price for one is pretty steep, isn't it?
                  they're not magazines per se. they're fanzines.

and it's not really a subscription. YOu buy them per copy, about one a year. In this case Revelations is a SG-1 gen and ship zine and averages about 300 pages or so of fic

I think it's around $25 although i'm not sure. I always write a story for it and get a free copy for my efforts.

the 'catch' about zine fic, for example i have three stories in rev 4, i can't post those stories on the internet until after memorial day weekend 2007. so if you want to read them before then, you have to buy the zine.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I've never really paid that much attention to Sam & Teal'c, but it is one of those lovely little latent constants in the mythos of SG-1, I can't remember a time where Teal'c ever raised a hand to Carter.. the times he was not quite on our side included... or am I wrong there?
                    i think you're right. they've always been friends

about the only real tension i can ever recall was in threshold. in the beginnign when teal'c breaks out and sam has the zat in her hand and this look on her face like she was afraid of him, but wasn't gonna let it show

which kinda gives me the idea that something happened while he was brainwashed

but i think that's the only time

sigpic

Comment

hey, look, fic!!!

http://sharim.livejournal.com/411204.html?#cutid1

no, it's not mine. but sharim has written a great fic. goes au around s3-4ish, rather dark and has definite sam/jack angles. but it's good.

you want some kick bootie sam????? check it out

this is part 1 of four. the fic itself is over 100 pages

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by seldear
                        It's not exactly a subscription. Zines are one-offs, although some may run in series (eg. Revelations I, II, III, and IV). Basically, you get a lot of good, solid fiction based around characters or pairings that you generally like, and which the fandom doesn't see for another year after the initial zine is released.

So, yeah, about $25 USD for an individual zine (as compared to free on the net), but guaranteed stories by writers whose work is solid stuff.

Whether it's any good is a matter of luck and personal predisposition: there are zines out there that I wouldn't pay $10 for.

However, Revelations is gen-and-ship, with a major focus on Sam/Jack ship (and a minor focus on Daniel/Janet) and written by a lot of writers who really like Sam. Rev I and II are Stargate SG-1 only, but Rev III featured a couple of Atlantis stories.

Taking Flight is the new all-Atlantis zine, gen-and-ship with a variety of stories, characters, and pairing directions. I've read at least two of the stories in Taking Flight and know that they're good; and am assured of the excellence of all the writers in there.

Whether it's worth the money is your own decision.

Sel.
                        Hey Sel, I forgot to ask my friend Sue C. this last night but what are the ratings on the zines?

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz
                          Hey Sel, I forgot to ask my friend Sue C. this last night but what are the ratings on the zines?
                          nothing beyond pg-13 or r

no explicit sex, no f-word (she made me edit it out of one of my stories )

sigpic

Comment

I have never seen Teal'c act unbecoming in any fashion towards Sam. I love the photos of Teal'c and Sam that were posted by SamFan31. That's another perfect Stargate match where the comraderie is just so damn sweet!! It simply shows how much they care and respect each other much the same way that Amanda and Chris do off screen. I think they look great together - I say this even though I am a J/S shipper!!!!
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              hey, look, fic!!!

http://sharim.livejournal.com/411204.html?#cutid1

no, it's not mine. but sharim has written a great fic. goes au around s3-4ish, rather dark and has definite sam/jack angles. but it's good.

you want some kick bootie sam????? check it out

this is part 1 of four. the fic itself is over 100 pages
                              Thanks for the rec, Sky. I'm off to take a look!

But, having said that...

... something's been really niggling at me for (a good many months now) I'm finally going to just bite the bullet and address it here, or rather ask a question if I might.

Why is it that people so often apologize for writing or recommending something that has "S/J" in it? I don't mean overtly, necessarily, but there's always that undertone of, hey I read/wrote this really neat story, it's got all this great stuff in it, some S/J, but ...

What's the "but" for? I find it most prevalent in Samanda, too.

Okay, rationally, I recognize that there's a lot of really terrible/trashy dime-store-romance-novel type Sam/Jack fanfiction out there, and that stuff makes me cringe too, but ... I really think we don't ned to feel as though even the stuff that is good needs to be apologized for.

It's more than just warning folks who don't like Sam/Jack when people make a recommendation. It's bigger than that. The undertone demands clemency; it's sort of saying, hey, this is S/J, BUT wonder of wonders ... it's also good. As though S/J as a concept deserves to be anathema. Who made that decision?

I'm guessing that's some kind of weird SG-1 fan culture thing that well pre-dates my involvement here. But I often feel as though I want to say something about it. You don't often see those kinds of caveats on recommendations for other types of fanfiction pairings and scenarios. Granted, there's probably a lot more really terrible writing out there within the S/J genre, because there are a lot more people out there writing dime-store-romance first and SG-1 fanfiction second, but again, it doesn't seem right that when there IS a good story out there with a S/J twist, we need to place it under so many kevlar caveats, we can't find the author anymore. It really ... FEELS WRONG. It also makes me twitchy and indignant.

Sam/Jack is not a dirty little terrible scenario. It's one of many possible scenarios out there that (if done well) can be quite powerful as an addition to a great story arc. Likewise with any other relationship pairing or interpersonal character dynamic we choose to showcase within fanfiction.

Some time, a long time ago, I'm guessing there was a great big fan "war" somewhere and people got all hot and bothered over the idea of Sam and Jack - likely in some earlier season when it would have been really jumping Amanda's (now famous) shark to see those two officers end up in a romantic way together. I get that, too. But ever since then, I'd wager, it's become a gulity-pleasure for a lot of great authors to even admit to - something they read/like/write but don't cop to, or which they try to edit OUT of their work because it's so "uncool" to have it there. And (god forbid) there's any RST involved.

That really bites, you know? Because it meansthere's less great S/J fiction being written and it means that manyauthors who are interested in it, and really could write great S/J into their fiction won't do it, or will tone it down to almost nothing, because of that weird stigma thing.

There. I said it. It really makes me whinge, eh?

But there's got to be a way to "un"black-list S/J. Especially because I think that Sam can explore some of the strongest parts of her psyche within that context, if it's well and respectfully handled. *sigh*

/end rant

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                                Thanks for the rec, Sky. I'm off to take a look!

But, having said that...

... something's been really niggling at me for (a good many months now) I'm finally going to just bite the bullet and address it here, or rather ask a question if I might.

Why is it that people so often apologize for writing or recommending something that has "S/J" in it? I don't mean overtly, necessarily, but there's always that undertone of, hey I read/wrote this really neat story, it's got all this great stuff in it, some S/J, but ...

What's the "but" for? I find it most prevalent in Samanda, too.

Okay, rationally, I recognize that there's a lot of really terrible/trashy dime-store-romance-novel type Sam/Jack fanfiction out there, and that stuff makes me cringe too, but ... I really think we don't ned to feel as though even the stuff that is good needs to be apologized for.

It's more than just warning folks who don't like Sam/Jack when people make a recommendation. It's bigger than that. The undertone demands clemency; it's sort of saying, hey, this is S/J, BUT wonder of wonders ... it's also good. As though S/J as a concept deserves to be anathema. Who made that decision?

I'm guessing that's some kind of weird SG-1 fan culture thing that well pre-dates my involvement here. But I often feel as though I want to say something about it. You don't often see those kinds of caveats on recommendations for other types of fanfiction pairings and scenarios. Granted, there's probably a lot more really terrible writing out there within the S/J genre, because there are a lot more people out there writing dime-store-romance first and SG-1 fanfiction second, but again, it doesn't seem right that when there IS a good story out there with a S/J twist, we need to place it under so many kevlar caveats, we can't find the author anymore. It really ... FEELS WRONG. It also makes me twitchy and indignant.

Sam/Jack is not a dirty little terrible scenario. It's one of many possible scenarios out there that (if done well) can be quite powerful as an addition to a great story arc. Likewise with any other relationship pairing or interpersonal character dynamic we choose to showcase within fanfiction.

Some time, a long time ago, I'm guessing there was a great big fan "war" somewhere and people got all hot and bothered over the idea of Sam and Jack - likely in some earlier season when it would have been really jumping Amanda's (now famous) shark to see those two officers end up in a romantic way together. I get that, too. But ever since then, I'd wager, it's become a gulity-pleasure for a lot of great authors to even admit to - something they read/like/write but don't cop to, or which they try to edit OUT of their work because it's so "uncool" to have it there. And (god forbid) there's any RST involved.

That really bites, you know? Because it meansthere's less great S/J fiction being written and it means that manyauthors who are interested in it, and really could write great S/J into their fiction won't do it, or will tone it down to almost nothing, because of that weird stigma thing.

There. I said it. It really makes me whinge, eh?

But there's got to be a way to "un"black-list S/J. Especially because I think that Sam can explore some of the strongest parts of her psyche within that context, if it's well and respectfully handled. *sigh*

/end rant
                                I think it's usually the S/J shippers that are a bit apologetic about it. And I think that may be simply because this list has tried to keep S/J ship to a minimum. I bet the same apologies are not made on the S/J ship list. I know I try to point out when a good story has S/J ship in it because some people will like it and some people won't.

If you look at the stories on fanfic.net, the S/J ship stories still get an amazing number of reviews compared to others, so I don't think that authors would shy away from writing it. From my perspective, anyway, it still seems to be hugely popular, but maybe I'm imagining things.

My LJ

Comment

Working...
                                X