Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I have to say, I do feel apologetic for recommending ship fics (and now I feel apologetic for feeling apologetic....). But it's not shame, or the fact that it's uncool. It's the fact that not everyone here is a Jack/Sam shipper, and I know the majority of what I write or rec is J/S. The "but", however, isn't meant as an apology, it's meant as a "look, it's J/S and I know it's not your thing, but it really is worth putting aside your thoughts and giving it a go".
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Tracy Jane
      I have to say, I do feel apologetic for recommending ship fics (and now I feel apologetic for feeling apologetic....). But it's not shame, or the fact that it's uncool. It's the fact that not everyone here is a Jack/Sam shipper, and I know the majority of what I write or rec is J/S. The "but", however, isn't meant as an apology, it's meant as a "look, it's J/S and I know it's not your thing, but it really is worth putting aside your thoughts and giving it a go".
      As many of you know I am generally anti S/J ship, and so I appreciate the warnings. I'll avoid stories that are too much about Sam/Jack together, but if someone here recommends a story with a caveat, I'll probably check it out. I think most of us here take a live and let live approach to ship vs. non ship, though I do like to tease. Sam/Jack ick!
      As for Sam/Jan--also not my cup of tea--but I'll read anything by Strix as I find her characterizations and plots so good.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Tracy Jane
        I have to say, I do feel apologetic for recommending ship fics (and now I feel apologetic for feeling apologetic....).
        THANK YOU. This is a great example of what I meant. Whether overt or not, based in "coolness factor" or simply the culture of the thread here, it DOES exist. I quite realize non shippers won't or don't see it, or don't see it as strongly as those of us who are shippers do see it.

        I said this to NC, too, in PM. It's not the actual wording of the caveat; the caveat is not even the point. It's the connotation behind the anathema (here in Samanda). And it does exist. As a non ship advocate, a person wouldn't see or feel it because that person would likely not have felt selective about their consideration to post a recommendation to such a fic - they would't read, write or recommend those kinds of fics (generally speaking) anyway. Ergo, they wouldn't experience that feeling. That is why it'd take a person who does read/write ship to point out that the feeling is real and valid. Here. In this place.

        It's not a persecution complex thing I'm trying to illustrate here, it's a group-think culture that we perpetuate amongst ourselves. Certain things/ideas/characters are "uncool" to look at in a certain way, and (take Cam Mitchell for example - I'm sure Chillin' will agree here ), if you have a dissenting POV, it can become difficult here to express that.

        We're kind of a cliquey bunch of people here in Samanda. And we can be pretty intimidating in our group-think ideas sometimes. Myself included of course. I'm just making that as a sociological observation.


        mg

        Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

        Comment


          Originally posted by Tracy Jane
          I have to say, I do feel apologetic for recommending ship fics (and now I feel apologetic for feeling apologetic....). But it's not shame, or the fact that it's uncool. It's the fact that not everyone here is a Jack/Sam shipper, and I know the majority of what I write or rec is J/S. The "but", however, isn't meant as an apology, it's meant as a "look, it's J/S and I know it's not your thing, but it really is worth putting aside your thoughts and giving it a go".
          I always figured it was a consideration as much as a warning...about any Sam pairing for that matter.

          "Hey you all, I just read the best Sam fic! There were some Sam/Jack undertones" or "it aludes to Sam/Daniel" or "there is an inkling of Sam/Janet" or "the focus is Sam/Mitchell..."



          *gasps*

          *chokes*

          Sorry. I'm okay now. I know the above was just an example...but man was it hard to write.

          Jack and Sam ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

          AND.........Order in the universe is once again restored.

          WHEW. I feel better now.



          Oh and here's some food for thought. If Sam and Carson ever hooked up...she'd become SAM BECKETT.

          *snickers*

          Any fellow Quantum Leap fans, feel free to giggle spastically with me. The rest of ya's...move along now, nothing to see here.

          Last edited by Uber; 12 May 2006, 09:03 AM.

          ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

          Comment


            Originally posted by Strix varia
            It's for the same reason that I accept the courtesy of labeling femslash stories for what they are. (Now if you want to start talking about labels that evoke strong reactions and will cut off the majority of your audience right from the start, we can discuss Sam/Jan stories... Now there's a pairing that apparently squicks everyone except Sam/Jan fans, who are few and far between.)
            hey, you think that's bad...try finding a home for a sam/teal'c smut fic.

            labelig fic is simple courtesy. and listing pairings, character death, rape, torture or excessive language are simply good things to do
            Where in the World is George Hammond?


            sigpic

            Comment


              You asked, you pleaded. We were listening.

              Richard Dean Anderson and Amanda Tapping together. A very special event to be held early 2007. It’s no longer a dream.

              The Gabit website will be updated within the next few weeks with more information.

              We told you some things in life were worth waiting for.

              The G4
              Gabit Events
              To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

              Comment


                Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                I always figured it was a consideration as much as a warning...about any Sam pairing for that matter.

                "Hey you all, I just read the best Sam fic! There were some Sam/Jack undertones" or "it aludes to Sam/Daniel" or "there is an inkling of Sam/Janet" or "the focus is Sam/Mitchell..."
                So what you're saying is, it's all in my head and I just have issues ... issues I should probably deal with?

                Okay, I can handle that. Fine. But I still don't think I'm the only numpty in here who's felt this way. And I still don't think it's all coming from nothing. Like I said earlier, it's been bugging me a little for months, and I'm not a very paranoid person (generally), so I tend to think that there's something to this. I may be completely crazy, and I won't dispute that fact, but it doesn't change the fact there's still something real going on here.

                Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

                Comment


                  Originally posted by JuliaR
                  You asked, you pleaded. We were listening.

                  Richard Dean Anderson and Amanda Tapping together. A very special event to be held early 2007. It’s no longer a dream.

                  The Gabit website will be updated within the next few weeks with more information.

                  We told you some things in life were worth waiting for.

                  The G4
                  Gabit Events
                  ...

                  ...

                  ...

                  ...

                  ...

                  Oh yes. I can now confirm that blood rushing out of one's brain at a rapid rate does in fact cause a loss of consciousness.

                  ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by JuliaR
                    You asked, you pleaded. We were listening.

                    Richard Dean Anderson and Amanda Tapping together. A very special event to be held early 2007. It’s no longer a dream.

                    The Gabit website will be updated within the next few weeks with more information.

                    We told you some things in life were worth waiting for.

                    The G4
                    Gabit Events
                    Speaking of Sam/Jack ship! ROTFLOL!

                    Is this also in London?? Darn it, I dunno if I can swing two trips to the UK in a couple months! D'oh!

                    Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by JuliaR
                      You asked, you pleaded. We were listening.

                      Richard Dean Anderson and Amanda Tapping together. A very special event to be held early 2007. It’s no longer a dream.

                      The Gabit website will be updated within the next few weeks with more information.

                      We told you some things in life were worth waiting for.

                      The G4
                      Gabit Events
                      WHAT?!?! WHAT?!?! I don't believe it!! That's amazing! Unfortunately, after AT2, I don't think I'll be able to afford this one too, but WOW!
                      Yepp, it's blank down here.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                        WHAT?!?! WHAT?!?! I don't believe it!! That's amazing! Unfortunately, after AT2, I don't think I'll be able to afford this one too, but WOW!
                        That's exactly what I was thinking - but at least you LIVE up there! Darn it.

                        Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by minigeek
                          THANK YOU. This is a great example of what I meant. Whether overt or not, based in "coolness factor" or simply the culture of the thread here, it DOES exist. I quite realize non shippers won't or don't see it, or don't see it as strongly as those of us who are shippers do see it.

                          I said this to NC, too, in PM. It's not the actual wording of the caveat; the caveat is not even the point. It's the connotation behind the anathema (here in Samanda). And it does exist. As a non ship advocate, a person wouldn't see or feel it because that person would likely not have felt selective about their consideration to post a recommendation to such a fic - they would't read, write or recommend those kinds of fics (generally speaking) anyway. Ergo, they wouldn't experience that feeling. That is why it'd take a person who does read/write ship to point out that the feeling is real and valid. Here. In this place.

                          It's not a persecution complex thing I'm trying to illustrate here, it's a group-think culture that we perpetuate amongst ourselves. Certain things/ideas/characters are "uncool" to look at in a certain way, and (take Cam Mitchell for example - I'm sure Chillin' will agree here ), if you have a dissenting POV, it can become difficult here to express that.

                          We're kind of a cliquey bunch of people here in Samanda. And we can be pretty intimidating in our group-think ideas sometimes. Myself included of course. I'm just making that as a sociological observation.


                          mg
                          Well, what you see as an indication of anathema, I see as a courtesy.

                          I guess we'll just have to disagree on that. And I hope you'll forgive me in the future when I continue to qualify my fic recs with "S/J, but" comments when I feel they're warranted.

                          My LJ

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by minigeek
                            <snip>
                            We're kind of a cliquey bunch of people here in Samanda. And we can be pretty intimidating in our group-think ideas sometimes. Myself included of course. I'm just making that as a sociological observation.


                            mg
                            Yes, I did read the rest of the post, mg, but I wanted to refer to just this part.

                            We are cliquey, but we also "know" each other fairly well because of that. That's why a fic recommendation on SAGC may come with the caveat that Sam dies, so that sal won't read it, or a hint that there's Sam/Jan so that Strix and Agent Dark and others will for sure want to read it. My point is that what you see as an underlying apology for pointing out that a fic has J/S ship, I see as a word of advice to a group of friends.

                            NC

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by minigeek
                              That's exactly what I was thinking - but at least you LIVE up there! Darn it.
                              I can see this being an instant sell out, seeing as RDA never does cons. If it weren't for that fact, I think I would go for it. But I won't be earning until summer Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn!!!
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

                              Comment


                                When I see a fic rec like ".. there's Jack/Sam ship, but... etc etc etc" - the "but" usually means "but it's not the focus of the story" or "but it's no more than you'd see in the show" or something like that. Which, imo, isn't the reccer apologising for the ship content, rather reassuring non-ship readers that they might like to give it a try. Which has worked for me a few times.

                                I've seen similar recc'ed for a couple of my Sam/Janets - e.g. "it's femslash but it's an action/adventure and the slashy bit is just one paragraph..." etc. Taken one way, it sounds like the reccer is apologising for it, when in fact they're just qualifying with more information.
                                scarimor

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X