Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    Those are supposed to be DEmotivators Kat.

Way cool poster. I believe HRH would approve.
    I certainly hope so...I'd hate to offend her!
    sigpic
    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      Regarding how I would like to see Sam in season ten either as leader of SG-1 or 2IC of the SGC.

If season ten continues to follow on the same path as season nine, then to be honest I would say sod off to SG-1 and hope that Sam in put in command of the newest Tauri vessel. Why? Well because it's obvious that we won't be using the Stargate much anymore, and spacecrafts seem to have become a huge part of the Ori story arc, so Sam might as well be front and center. After watching the finale to Camelot it's plain to see that being a member of SG-1 is really not a productive place to be any longer, all the big battles involve CGI spacecrafts and big explosions and I'd rather see Sam sitting in the captain's chair and giving all the orders than standing on the sidelines watching the battle take place.
      OK... I know that I haven't been able to drop in much... but I'm pretty sure that I've never read a post from Forever that included her use of 'sod off'... that said, however, I *really* like it's placement here.

Dropped in this eve to do a bit of scanning the thread and I ran across Forever's post quoted in someone else's reply. Had to scan back several pages to find the original post, but I wanted to chime in with those who resoundingly agree with you Kat!

Have also been in complete agreement with many of Sky's recent postings on the same topic.

Solid thoughts, Samandans!

In command of one of the new ships? Fantastic idea!
      Maybe with a few Asgard on board, and Jack along as an Ambassador, they could skip around the galaxy from adventure to adventure... With Carter in command of the ship, she could call O'Neill Jack and they could have a 'more equal' relationship where she wouldn't have to follow every order he gave, but rather, could listen to his advice and then make her own decisions.

Whatever happens, I join the rest of you in your hopes and wishes that the character of Carter is strengthened and enriched by whatever lies ahead. Here's to hoping that we can all be proud of Carter's role in Season 10. (Hope springs eternal? But I am realistic and there is no breath-holding going on here...)
      Last edited by astrogeologist; 06 April 2006, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Just wanted to post a quick

THANK YOU

to MajorSal

who started this thread so long ago

I'm impressed and proud of the wonderful posts and discussions that folks have taken the time to participate in here at the SaGC.

Hic Comitas Regis! And here's to hoping that Season 10 has a strong, positive, capably-heroic Carter.
        Last edited by astrogeologist; 06 April 2006, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          OK... I know that I haven't been able to drop in much... but I'm pretty sure that I've never read a post from Forever that included her use of 'sod off'... that said, however, I *really* like it's placement here.

Dropped in this eve to do a bit of scanning the thread and I ran across Forever's post quoted in someone else's reply. Had to scan back several pages to find the original post, but I wanted to chime in with those who resoundingly agree with you Kat!

Have also been in complete agreement with many of Sky's recent postings on the same topic.

Maybe with a few Asgard on board, and Jack along as an Ambassador, they could skip around the galaxy from adventure to adventure... With Carter in command of the ship, she could call O'Neill Jack and they could have a 'more equal' relationship where she wouldn't have to follow every order he gave, but rather, could listen to his advice and then make her own decisions.

Whatever happens, I join the rest of you in your hopes and wishes that the character of Carter is strengthened and enriched by whatever lies ahead. Here's to hoping that we can all be proud of Carter's role in Season 10. (Hope springs eternal? But I am realistic and there is no breath-holding going on here...)
          Aww, Astro! It's so good to see you around again. I've really missed reading your inciteful posts over the past year. I do hope you manage to drop in a bit more often. As for my little comments above, I really try not to use such language as 'sod off', but it sounded much nicer to the ears than some of my original choices. ROFL

Comment

Astro?!?! How've ya been!

Comment

I like that idea too.. but I'd take it one step further and put Sam in command of a ship designed to become a mobile SGC. Mobile base of operations with a gateroom on board. And of course since it's experiemental, highly technologically advanced and a huge step in Earth's defence strategy... Sam is the only really logical choice for Command. Then Jack will tag along for strategic advisory purposes.. and because he can!

sigpic

Comment

Hello Just wanted to say I appreciate the cautious optimism

These are wonderful, Seshat!
                Omg, seriously! That is talent!

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                I'm watching 48HRS right now, and here's a pic of Sam's first meeting with McKay

What do you think she's thinking
                "Dammit Teal'c! Why'd you have to get stuck in the gate and leave me with him?"
                Paul/Carson, Rachel/Teyla, David/Eli Supporter!!
                Proud Samandan. Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  whether or not ship 'destroys' the show, well it is solely in the pov of the viewer, but i think it also depends on how much of hte show is the ship.

in moonlighting, the whole show was the relationship. whereas in stargate, it's rarely been the whole show, but a part of it...and sam did just fine without jack.
                  And how the ship is handled. Fond as I am of the Sam/Jack pairing, I don't want every microsecond of Sam of Jack's screentime devoted to it.

it can be argued that sam's less than stellar stories in s9 had a lot of contributory causes

her being gone for almost 1/3 of the season
                  the concentration of attention/storylines on cambo
                  the concentration of attention/storylines on the daniel/vala burlesque hour
                  maybe a minimizing of sam to accomodate NOT working AT 14+ hours a day
                  Some darn poor writing and over emphasis on SFX
                  True, especially the second, third and fifth points.

Even if Amanda couldn't be in the first five or so episodes, I wish that the writers had come up with a better way to work that in without transferring her off SG-1 - what on Earth would have been wrong with saying that she was temporarily on loan to Area 51, that she would be back soon, and including phone calls between her and Daniel, Teal'c and Landry?

I think that the point about poor writing covers those about over focus on Cameron and on the Daniel/Vala storyline.

I mean, sam's not the only one. Given taht the spin we heard with Ben joining the show was 'more time for everyone', poor teal'c has yet again, been relegated to silent muscle in the corner and, unless it's a jaffa storyline, he's completely ignored.

at least sam has other stories than sam/jack for them to write if they choose....poor t-bear, if they can't stick him in robes and have him wrestle they don't know what to do with him
                  Apparently, the episode introducing the Sodan was to have been a Teal'c episode until some bright spark decided that Cameron should be the one they focused on when making contact with a Jaffa group.

The sad thing is that they had plenty of fodder for Teal'c storylines with the new Jaffa nation - I would have liked to see a running storyline dealing with a group of loyalist Jaffa, still devoted to their 'gods' (Ba'al has my vote as the Goa'uld to unify them) who wanted to wipe the free Jaffa out as traitors and blasphemers.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Last edited by dexterav; 07 April 2006, 04:07 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm back, and whoaa there's a lot of pages .
                      I've been in the country away from the computer. Has done me good.
                      Might take me a day or so to get back into the swing of things, but thought I'd start catching up tonight.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                        And how the ship is handled. Fond as I am of the Sam/Jack pairing, I don't want every microsecond of Sam of Jack's screentime devoted to it.
                        Exactly. As fond as I am of a given ship or pairing, to me the characters will always come first. I would never want characters that I liked and respected and had come to expect a certain personality from to change to accomodate a ship. While it would be great to have conclusion or some sort of definition to the Sam/Jack relationship, I definitely wouldn't want it pursued at the expense of the characters. In addition, pushing their screentime so it all somehow supports the ship that had been gone from the screen for so long would be a bad idea as well. I think that was one of the problems that I had in the later seasons at times -- a lot of their actions and dialogue seemed to relate back to the ship, as though TPTB wanted to be extra careful to give the audience support for that pairing. It got a bit distracting at times.

Even if Amanda couldn't be in the first five or so episodes, I wish that the writers had come up with a better way to work that in without transferring her off SG-1 - what on Earth would have been wrong with saying that she was temporarily on loan to Area 51, that she would be back soon, and including phone calls between her and Daniel, Teal'c and Landry?

I think that the point about poor writing covers those about over focus on Cameron and on the Daniel/Vala storyline.
                        It was great that they were willing to work around her maternity leave for the series, but I agree that it was handled kind of sloppily. It wouldn't have taken much to have given a bit of a valid reason for her disappearance -- Area 51 was what I was thinking too -- and maintaining some sort of little connection to the SGC would have been nice. It would have been great to see those phone calls, or maybe just mentioning her name in relation to some theory or event. Whenever series such as this have an absence of a character it always frustrates me how easily said character can be wiped from the memories and vocabularies of the ones that are left. As though without reference the audience would somehow just forget the lack of "X".

As far as the over-focus on the Daniel/Vala and Cam thing goes, Stargate may have just been guilty of becoming a bit fascinated with its own creation. It got some new stuff to do, new characters and toys to experiment with, and I guess that is more appealing or interesting at times for the writers. I think it'd be easy to get sort of side-tracked and be so excited about writing in a new plot line or character that other things get pushed to the side with the excuse that we already know about them.

I will have a problem if this continues next year. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for Season Nine and say that they were playing around and testing the waters with a lot of their new ideas. What will really bug me is if we see a lessening of Sam or Teal'c or already known and established story arcs merely to allot more time to the "new" ideas. I understand wanting to establish and give a base to the new parts of the show, but the rest shouldn't have to be pushed into supporting roles to make that happen.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                          So, I noticed the new action figures coming out. Realllly cool (gotta get me a couple!). Especially the Sam Carter ones. But, well, as real as they are, I'm a whore for more ... so er... I've been working on meee very own little doll in 3D.

I won't tell you who it is. You know, I was hoping maybe you guys could guess. And if you don't guess SAM FRICKIN' CARTER, then that's ok. She's not done yet anyway. LOL

Wanna see a preview?

Coming Soon...
                          The action hero movie ....
                          you've all...
                          Been waiting for...
                          Dum dum dum....

Starring...

Ok so it's not that great yet and not nearly done (she has no hair!!! YET). But it's getting there!! Wheeee!

themini(I'll make my own Sam Carter doll, dammit!)geekster

-
                          The pics I've seen of the action figures look pretty amazing. They look a lot better quality and better likensesses than those made for many tv shows.

And it looks like your 3D model is going to be superb! Wonderful job on the skin texturing and the light reflection in the eyes. I hope we get to see more of her as she progresses .

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                            I'm watching 48HRS right now, and here's a pic of Sam's first meeting with McKay

What do you think she's thinking
                            Oh boy, I'd hate to get trapped anywhere with this jerk. Nope, never gonna happen...
                            Last edited by 1speed4Sam; 07 April 2006, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                              Anyone who openly admits to liking Sam and reads this thread is a Samandan in my opinion. Calling yourself a Samandan isn't a status symbol that is earned after so many posts or writing a fic, it's an acceptance that Sam is a vital member of SG-1 and is/was as important to the show as Jack, Daniel and Teal'c. I think anyone who can say those things about Sam is welcome to call themself a Samandan if they so choose.

Kat
                              What Kat said. If you read or post in this thread, that automatically makes you a Samandan. There has never been any kind of status symbol attatched to the title of Samandan. It's purely a name that describes the people of this thread. At one point in time we had a whole royal kingdom thing going where everyone had different titles/jobs, but the quantity of members in the thread were far far fewer then, and as a small group nobody was really 'left out'. I hope other people don't feel that they have to earn the title of Samandan! I'm not quite sure what we did to give that impression.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                                Interesting list Sally. I can completely see Sam having MacGyver on DVD. And I can also see Lost appealing to her, it's such a complicated, complex story. Though it would be hard to follow that show with her schedule. Her DVR would be getting a workout. I don't know about Sawyer's rather...flexible morality appealing to her though. But Jack is so straight-laced. I actually think she might find Sayid the most appealing. (Or, you know, I could be projecting because I find him most appealing.
                                I put Sawyer in that "lunatic fringe" that Sam finds so appealing. Or like you I could be projecting because I find him so appealing. I think she would find him interesting at least.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X