Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by parsifal
    Do you have to be Canadian to understand this post? I'm not getting it, beyond that idea that Whistler is going to be cancelled.
    The only thing you need to take from that post is that it would have been a bad career move for Amanda to leave SG-1 for "Whistler", if that was ever a real consideration on her part (which I tend not to believe). I believe she only ever considered doing it as a tween. That's it, that's all.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
      The only thing you need to take from that post is that it would have been a bad career move for Amanda to leave SG-1 for "Whistler", if that was ever a real consideration on her part (which I tend not to believe). I believe she only ever considered doing it as a tween. That's it, that's all.
      Just seemed oddly cryptic is all...Wondered what I was missing.

Comment

Well, that's what she seemed to be saying as well.

Anyway, thanks! Too bad she couldn't have done it as a tween! The description itself sounded interesting.
        Last edited by chocdoc; 03 December 2005, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
          The descripton itself sounded interesting.
          Meh.

mini(don't mind me, sometimes I'm a snob)geek

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam
            Well if they are in a collage it isn't copying right????

And since I changed one of these thanks to photochop we can share these right???

JanSam, thanks for posting these. Can't get enough of pilotSam!

Comment

Meh.

mini(don't mind me, sometimes I'm a snob)geek

Okay, well, maybe not as good as DeGrassi!

Wasn't this show on a loong time ago--I seem to remember watching this in the States say back in late 1980's on a PBS channel. It was really good--I think it was DeGrassi Junior High? So now there is a recent version? And isn't it do well?

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                Okay, well, maybe not as good as DeGrassi!

Wasn't this show on a loong time ago--I seem to remember watching this in the States say back in late 1980's on a PBS channel. It was really good--I think it was DeGrassi Junior High? So now there is a recent version? And isn't it do well?
                Degrassi's been around forever, yeah. They're coming up on a big aniversary. It's done quite well as a franchise in Canada, quite the tv institution here.

Canada is a bit more of a tangled web than the USA is when it comes to film/tv production. We have a lot more government regulation and we have a lot more government funding (as a result). Some series (like Degrassi) won't even hire talent/crew from outside of Canada, I think they're even restricted to Ontario residents given their grant-status. Anyhow, there's a tonne of politics as a result. But Degrassi's done quite well so far as Canadian TV series are concerned. CTV is also one of the most agressive networks in Canada in terms of its marketing strategies.

Comment

Degrassi's been around forever, yeah. They're coming up on a big aniversary. It's done quite well as a franchise in Canada, quite the tv institution here.

Canada is a bit more of a tangled web than the USA is when it comes to film/tv production. We have a lot more government regulation and we have a lot more government funding (as a result). Some series (like Degrassi) won't even hire talent/crew from outside of Canada, I think they're even restricted to Ontario residents given their grant-status. Anyhow, there's a tonne of politics as a result. But Degrassi's done quite well so far as Canadian TV series are concerned. CTV is also one of the most agressive networks in Canada in terms of its marketing strategies.

Interesting. I'm glad Degrassi has done so well. Isn't Whistler also getting funding from CTV? I guess you are saying that gov. regulation has its pros and cons? In the case of Whistler, it may be a con?

Comment

I've never been to a con before. I'd need ... people there ... to hold onto ... in case I got scared. You know, if someone was running around speaking in Goa'uld... or... Klingon or... a hybrid of both...

mini (::::the ducking!::: geek
                    LOL! Nothing to fear if you dress up as an SGC team member! Standard equip takes care of Goa'uld, Klingon or *yech* hybrids (sounds like an Unas! ).

I used to go to cons regularly before they stopped having them in NYC. The last big one was out in Brooklyn at the new Marriot at least 3-4 years ago (Brooklyn is just outside of downtown NYC but part of the City). Now the closest are in NJ, at the Meadowlands, which is not really that convenient unless you're staying at a nearby hotel (NJ is west of NY).

The NYC conventions were always crowded although only those with really popular stars (at Star Trek cons, that'd be Shatner, Nimoy, Doohan and the writers) got sold out. Last year at the Meadowlands where Shanks, Judge, Rothery, Luttrell and others were, it was nearly sold out.

Lots of fun, though. Klingons, elves, Starship Troopers and Star Fleet and Star Gate Command personnel in plentiful amount. Just bring your camera and take memories! Everyone in costume loves posing for pictures.

Just sayin', go, have fun!
                    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                    sigpic
                    Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

As far as I can tell the Shore Leave con is actually a Star Trek convention that invites actors and writers from other shows as guests as well as scientist and science fiction authors. It also says that attendance is normally over a thousand people and Saturday night typically sells out pretty quickly. So far Amanda and Carmen are the only confirmed guests and they are both doing photoshoots. You can get a photo with one of them for $30.00 or both of them for $40.00. Who would pass up not getting a picture with both? Sam and Jacob? Amanda and Carmen. How cool is that?

Kat
                      Last edited by ForeverSg1; 03 December 2005, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

This Shore Leave con sounds like fun. I wish I could go. Does anyone know where I can find more informations ? Link to their website anyone ?

Comment

Shore Leave 28 web site
                            My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                              Thank you tsaxlady !

Comment

I didn't want to say anything during the "heated debate" back when, but I will now.

IMHO, she made the right choice. I speak as an industry professional here in Canada. I took a good long long at Whistler way back when this was mentioned the first time. Who was involved, what they were doing, the storyline, the shooting schedule and the production aspirations of the series. It was absolutely nothing spectacular, in fact ... well, I won't even say that. What I will say is that, it might have made a nice little "in between" gig for her if she'd done it before starting back up with SGP. But Amanda would have been certifiable to leave SG-1 for "Whistler". Unless she was fast tracking for a political campaign (and I mean governmentally political - I won't get into why, again), or unless she had suddenly spiralled into a Cancon only artist, SGP was still by far and away the better career choice, even now.

Hey, long live Canadian film and television, but ... "Whistler" .... well, I'm really not surprised she didn't trade SG for that particular series. I wouldn't have, either.
                                Ok, so you've mentioned SGP twice in that post mini. What does it stand for? Not Stargate Prometheus I hope. I heard talk ages ago that people wanted a Stargate Prometheus. I don't think I could stand that, it would just be too StarTrek and not Stargatey at all.
                                If it was just a multiple typo, you have permission to thwack me .

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Working...
                                X