Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal
    Peter DeLuise,PDL, "And, of course, Claudia can do no wrong in my eyes. We've got her in this hot little tightly-cut dress. It doesn't even matter what she's saying. She's just perfect."

GW "...with the changes on both shows this year, what do you think that fans have to look forward to the most in the upcoming season for both shows?"

PDL "More in-depth information about each individual character ... It's not just The Ben Browder Show now. It's more about the qualities of the supporting cast, I think."

(Regarding Atlantis' first season (coinciding with SG1's S8):

PDL "... the first year they were going to get cut off, establish a reason for watching the show. Because otherwise they would be dialing up and saying, 'could you send SG-1? We've got another problem! Any problem worth having would've been worth getting SG-1 to come and solve it, or Carter at least to fix it'."

I've added the red to lines which seem to give us further insight into TPTB's states of mind (or mindlessness depending on how you interpret the statements). I think the Claudia Black remark speaks for itself ... they wanted sex and the single siren, and they got it! As to "It's not just The Ben Browder Show", I never knew it was!
    Spoiler:
    And as to marooning Atlantis in their first season so the cast/arcs became established, well I can buy most of that ... except that calling Carter to fix things might have been a good cross-over. She would have been looking professional and competent. Now when she does get over to Atlantis in S2, it will be to sex-up Rodney's isolation and appear as a dream in a submarine ... just lovely, Rodney's "wet dream"! I want to see Rodney and Sam together again because it's a lot like Felger and Sam and could be quite funny and snarky. But I'm not totally sold on this weak plot device. Even if she "saves him" in the submarine, she's not there ... just a figment of his imagination and we certainly know he has a thing for "sexy ... blondes". Back to woman as object. I want Carter to be used as a real hero, capable of flying to Atlantis and helping her comrades there. If they are building more Daedalus-like ships, let's give Sam full command of one!

Okay, rant over ... descending from soapbox.
    Thank you for this and I totally agree with you on using women as a sex object. I'm currently taking a "women in media" class, it's all about that. It was so nice to have AT, a gorgeous kick-ass woman who wasn't scantly clad. It seems that they have to degrade a female character to exploiting her body if they give her any power as a star. I don't hate Vala, but am sorry to see CB being used like that. I'm really not looking forward to the episode w/ McKay. From the beginning, he's treated her like a "dumb blonde", even though she's a lot smarter than him. Since I'm continuing on my rant, remember the scifi special when they compare who's smarter? They decided it was McKay because he read the scientific lines faster. The lines that AT researched! What other actor out there puts in so much effort? My Gosh! Some of the topics she studies on makes my head spin, & I'm supposedly good in science.
    Originally posted by simhavaktra
    The first thing that pops into my mind is

!!!GACK!!!

and wouldn't you know it, GateWorld doesn't offer the ineffable shade of puce that would truly do the sentiment justice.

"Hot little tightly cut dress"? Maybe someone ought to let PDL spend a day working in a leather/boned-and-reinforced-tapestry top as tight as Vala's black leather bustier, or her "Origin" Renn-Faire-esque garb so he can enjoy the experience of being trussed up too tight to breathe deeply, not that it matters, because one's too nervous about making an unplanned exit from the costume to take that deep breath that might provoke the costume to pop, and way too overheated from having too much leather and/or heavy fabric too tightly fitted around one's torso to worry about trivialities, and then it won't no longer matter what he's saying either - everyone will be too busy lookin' at his... personal pulchritude... to notice his actual work, either. My - if it doesn't matter what the actress says while in costume, why bother even hiring one? Just flash the way cool and hotly sexy dress on the screen, or and put it on display on a seamstress' dummy in Daniel's office, why not? Talk about disrespecting a performer!

And then "it's not just the Ben Browder show now"??? Pardonez moi? From what I can tell, PDL was in a group of one if he ever thought it was/seemed to be/ought to be/looked like "The Ben Browder Show." Unless, of course, he was referring to the pre-season publicity onslaught in that quote, whereupon, I might just have to give him that one.

Why should the commander of SG-1 apparently be regarded as 'Miss Fix It' by TPTB - as if there could be no other reason that she might logically go to Atlantis, or nothing else she could do once there. Sam seems to find the entire universe to be a decidedly interesting place, full of phenomena that merit closer study, and an often riveting and fascinating place that demands in-depth investigation. I'll bet that if she were in Atlantis, the rest of the city would darned well be explored by now. And I suspect interesting, Dakara style weaponry would have been developed, too. (Of course, Rodney might have found himself gagged and locked in an out of the way room in the city, one that all the sensors had been mysteriously programmed to ignore, too, by now, but, hey - exploration - and harassing senior military officers - has its dangers. )

I'm experiencing this urge to mail PDL my "Research" Demotivator and my current sig. Grrr.

::goes snarking toward bed::
    tried to give you green jello for this, but you know how it is. Anyone remember how the Victorian women would sometimes break their ribs, cause irreversible back damage and other problmes due to the tight corsets? How about the Chinese women who'd become deformed due to the tight shoes? Just another way of keeping women down. FCOL, if they have another woman on the show, they can't possible treat her with respect!
    Originally posted by majorSal
    my voteth be yeseth!
    Thank you! Does a happy dance with the dogs.

Originally posted by Qasim
    7 inches according to gw

uh, what are we talking about?

or who.

*evil grin*
    i know what we're talking about, but i couldn't help myself
    You crack me up. Tried to give you green jello, but you know how it is.

*replicarter is not dead. she was taken away/saved by oma, but then deposited on a planet as a human. but still a biotch. but with a soul. sam helps to salvage this broken soul.
    Sally, I LOVE your plot bunnies. If only TPTB would listen.
    Originally posted by travelerenroute
    -Picking up on Replicarter: She left a little chip in Sam's head during her "sharing" and it activates causing Sam to hallucinate, do crazy stuff. Sam holds onto her sanity with the memory of Janet Frasier, who helps her until Sam is rescued or finds a solution. Would so love to see the two in their own episode! Rather than be too much like Daniel was to Jack in Abyss, some flashbacks of scenes of her and Janet (not necessarily aired before), to flesh out their military/off duty friendship.

-Teal'c reunites with Ishtar's (?) people to warn them of the Ori and Garek's new mission. Get some info on what the female based society is doing in the wake of Goa'uld demise, how they are integrating males (such as Ry'ak) and to just tie up odd ends or start new threads. Allies against the Ori?
    I LOVE these!
    *sighs shippily*

*and again*

*and one more time, for dramatic effect*

sally
    Non-shippers, I'm sorry, but I think all the shippers have converted me. I used to be a non-shipper, especially after seeing Kerrie or whoever that was in Threads, but maybe it's cuz I'm a hopeless romantic, or maybe it's cuz AT & RDA are really good actors. they've converted me. Hides from flying objects being thrown at her from non-shippers.
    Originally posted by Anyagate
    Good morning Jerin! Anya huh? Interesting name.

Hello everyone I am new to this thread but I am big fan of Sam. It is nice to see a kick bu$$ female that is smart and beautiful on tv. It is refreshing! She is a great character and I am so...o glad she is finally back in Season 9. It was not the same without her. Since she has returned I have hope that the rest of this season with be a good one.
    ((((Anya)))) Big hugs! So good to have you join us on this thread. I'm caught red-handed, stealing your cat's name. I thought it would be a very good title, since she's so sweet & naughty. Samandans are very kind. Hic Comitas Regit!
    Originally posted by Chopingal
    Oops, and then there's Hugo, the Royal Accountant's frisky hound. Perchance you could offer doggy obedience training classes to the local residents?
    The class is officially open. Please stop by, anyone who wants training classes for their furry loved ones, or just a friendly place for every critter to play in.

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
    Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

Originally posted by jerin
      ((((Anya)))) Big hugs! So good to have you join us on this thread. I'm caught red-handed, stealing your cat's name. I thought it would be a very good title, since she's so sweet & naughty. Samandans are very kind. Hic Comitas Regit!The class is officially open. Please stop by, anyone who wants training classes for their furry loved ones, or just a friendly place for every critter to play in.
      Jerin,
      I don't mind at all in fact I am flattered you liked her name enough to use it. I did have to give you a little crap about though. Hugs back!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        what i would love to see is

well, vala dropping her sex act. then vala and sam working together on something. (there could also be a bit of dichotomy since vala is so sexual and sam is, well not quite a prude but she's definitely not as overt as vala is)

both of them are ex-hosts and i would imagine that there'll be some, maybe insecurity between them. sam will be more confident in a military surrounding, but vala was a host for who knows how long and has a better command on goauld stuff than sam does.

vala would also feed into sam's adventure streak and would probably be surprised at the risks sam would take. vala also has a lot of knowledge, but sam does too....just probably about different things

if the two characters are allowed to interact with each otehr i think we could end up with something like we got in fallen/homecoming with jonas and daniel. two 'competitors' that actually have a lot of chemistry with each other
        It'd be interesting to see a story arc that not only had them interacting by working on a mission or project together, but actually taking on the other's overall personality. Not quite a "Holiday" or virus-induced switcheroo (arcs that have been done too many times), but some other new way for them to take on the other's demeanor.... a sexed-up Sam who ends up offending her teammate friends (and off-worlders) with her new sexual blatantness and self-centeredness.... an erudite, restrained Vala who surprises others with her knowledge and wisdom, but who they still write off given her previous actions....

'Course I dunno.... TPTB could decide they like *that* and then I'd really have to hit that off button on remote!
        Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
        My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Thanks, AD. Although, regarding Camelot ...
          Spoiler:
          I'd much rather see Carter slinging the sword like that Mermaid in Warsaw! JM's "Amanda as scientist and adventurer" may translate into AT looking in a test-tube and getting excited over something in her lab ... Let's put the sword in her hand, for godsake!
          yes please! give sam some decent fight scenes! why does it always have to be mitchell that gets the action?!
          fair enough she gets to shoot things now and again, but can we have some hand to hand combat... show them what she's made of!
          sigpic
          http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
          http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
            Can you tell I'm distressed over that "unrequited" comment??? I think Amanda's sick of Sam being perceived as weak because so much of her personal life was shown. Well, here are my thoughts about Sam and Season 10 and how an honest to goodness ship reference or two can only STRENGTHEN Sam.

IMHO, showing real acknowledgement of ship next season can do nothing but help Sam's character because it would validate what she went through at the end of last season...i.e., she didn't go through all that for nothing.

It would also show that ship is not all in Sam's mind...thus ending the "was she stalking Jack in Threads" debate.

It would show her life as having more dimension and balance because she's fulfilled professionally and personally.

So they don't have to scream it from the rooftops or have an episode focused on it FCOL...but a few references sprinkled about the season so that while Sam's clearly focused and kicking butt, she also has something to look forward to at home. A few phone calls, lunch invites, drop by visits from Jack where he's affectionate to Sam on screen...or heck...even a combination of these things and a ring that just shows up on her finger at the end of next season.

Additionally it'll end the debate that no longer needs to exist. Jack isn't around and therefore her work isn't in anyway hampered by her personal life.

See? This would only make Sam look better in the long run because it shows...once again...that Sam wasn't delusional and validates the struggle she went through in Threads et al.
            I agree.

For me when I started to get hooked into the show, the S/J ship was a nice additional aspect of the team/ensemble cast aspect that I liked. I didn’t find anything wrong with the ship (re: the REGS), especially seeing how it was in a fictional, but ‘real’ world AND especially seeing how it was played by the two actors. The right touch of angst and acknowledgement. (‘Course I think I figured, once I realized it’d already been on the air for 6 years by the time I “came” to the show, that there’d be some non-ambiguous non-misinterpretable resolution coming soon too….)

But then in discovering on-line fandom here and reading a spectrum of feelings and attitudes toward that ship, I was exposed more to people who hated it with a passion for a slew of reasons, but many especially because of frat regs and weak light they felt it portrayed Sam in.

Even though the thought that she *knew* he’d been checking on her in Chimera and making that lame ‘stalker’ joke in Affinity irked the you-know-what out of me, I can still understand the character’s need to experience a ship that was closer to “normal” than she’d ever had in her life. Especially since she knew her biological clock was ticking and was confronting that overall societal unspoken attitude of “You’re *how* old and not married/no kids/no whatever???!”

And yes, I guess I am in the camp for no gate weddings, no 99% of the episode focused on their ship (No matter how much I’d secretly like to watch the episode entitled “A Day in the Life of the O’Neills ), but some completely unambiguous dialogue and/or SEEING them together as a couple would be great. And most definitely enough to show that Sam had finally matured into a well-rounded person. And which would allow her story arcs to focus on her professional, military, and scientific skills contributing to the SGC’s mission…. Whatever the heck it is these days….
            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Sigh, what a beautiful picture you paint oh Royal Pet Groomer ... "the lamb lying down with the lion". I can see you will take your duties quite seriously and no dogs nipping at the citizens' heels.

Oops, and then there's Hugo, the Royal Accountant's frisky hound. Perchance you could offer doggy obedience training classes to the local residents?
              My Dear Jester, offering ice-cream usually does the trick. And it works on Hugo too...

Comment

Spoiler:

I'd much rather see Carter slinging the sword like that Mermaid in Warsaw! JM's "Amanda as scientist and adventurer" may translate into AT looking in a test-tube and getting excited over something in her lab ... Let's put the sword in her hand, for godsake!
                Originally posted by shipper hannah
                yes please! give sam some decent fight scenes! why does it always have to be mitchell that gets the action?!
                fair enough she gets to shoot things now and again, but can we have some hand to hand combat... show them what she's made of!

I couldn't agree more with you guys. Some nice hand to hand combat would be awesome, a sword fight would be even better. But I guess, TPTB don't think that that is something for a "woman". I don't know, I am getting really frustrated with that whole issue, no matter whether it's the leadership problem or what kind of things they give each character to do. It seems it was more equal before. That's why I got so interested in the Sam character to begin with, she was one of them, it was not the three guys and the girl. She got to do the "cool stuff", too. Now it seems as if they are stepping backwards in the "emancipation process" of the show. Maybe it's because of the many changes in the ranks of TPTB. It's just really disappointing.

Here is some "hand to hand combat" Sam.

Yup, those were the days.
                Last edited by Dani76; 13 October 2005, 10:52 AM.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                  I couldn't agree more with you guys. Some nice hand to hand combat would be awesome, a sword fight would be even better. But I guess, TPTB don't think that that is something for a "woman". I don't know, I am getting really frustrated with that whole issue, no matter whether it's the leadership problem or what kind of things they give each character to do. It seems it was more equal before. That's why I got so interested in the Sam character to begin with, she was one of the them, it was not the three guys and the girl. She got to do the "cool stuff", too. Now it seems as if they are stepping backwards in the "emancipation process" of the show. Maybe it's because of the many changes in the ranks of TPTB. It's just really disappointing.

You know we have not really seen Sam do any hand to hand combat since this episode. I want to see her kick butt...maybe with a sword as others have suggested or hand to hand, no zats or p90s allowed.

Comment

Spoiler:
                    Some of JM's comments about Carter have had me wondering... And they're not good musings, let me tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                      I couldn't agree more with you guys. Some nice hand to hand combat would be awesome, a sword fight would be even better. But I guess, TPTB don't think that that is something for a "woman". I don't know, I am getting really frustrated with that whole issue, no matter whether it's the leadership problem or what kind of things they give each character to do. It seems it was more equal before. That's why I got so interested in the Sam character to begin with, she was one of them, it was not the three guys and the girl. She got to do the "cool stuff", too. Now it seems as if they are stepping backwards in the "emancipation process" of the show. Maybe it's because of the many changes in the ranks of TPTB. It's just really disappointing.

Yup, those were the days.

But back in those days, Showtime really didn't interfer with the production values and quality the way Skiffy does. Also with respect, TPTB back then wanted well-rounded realistic characters that everybody could relate to.

ETA: I think that with more and more changes with the "showrunners" each of them had their own "idea" of what each character should be, rather than who they were.
                      Last edited by LaCroix; 13 October 2005, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                        Some of JM's comments about Carter have had me wondering... And they're not good musings, let me tell you.
                        What's bad? She's heroic, she's adventurous, she's geeking it up...what vibe are you getting then?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
                          My Dear Jester, offering ice-cream usually does the trick. And it works on Hugo too...

Oi! 1speed What are you doing posting unnaproved photo's of my gnarly hand and uncovered legs?? We don't want to scare potential Samandan's away!!Good job Hugo is in the frame looking his usual handsome self!!

Comment

Oooops1 Didn't mean the photo to pop up again!!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                              See, I like her too, if only because CB's playing her.

But if they had made her a bit more of a straight shooter, and less of a sex fiend, I would have liked her SOOO much more.
                              That's the beauty of fandom, we don't all see things the same way. I see some of the sex, but as I've said before, I think Vala is using it as a defense shield (so to speak) to cover the pain she's been through. I think should she come back, the sexed up Vala will be toned down some, but I seriously doubt she'll loose that "kid who says what everyone else is thinking" aspect of her personality. LOL But that's just mho.
                              sigpic
                              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Oh yea what a day, a Royal Bean for all of you!

200th Post Milestone, Traveler Enroute1 and minigeek

Almost-There 200th Post, SunKrux

Jester
                                *wonders if she's there yet

Thanks ChopinGal! Red is one of my fav colors.
                                sigpic
                                I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X