No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uber - couldn't resist captioning this one.

Teal'C - Paper covers rock I win! What did I win?
    Sam - You get to go first.
    Teal'C - Indeed.
    sigpic
    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
      Uber - couldn't resist captioning this one.

Teal'C - Paper covers rock I win! What did I win?
      Sam - You get to go first.
      [/b]Teal'C -[/b] Indeed.
      Woooooot.

I love Commando!Sam.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Lol.. hilarious... and yes..since emus are nasty *******s already, I think a goau'lded emu would qualify as a glalactic threat. With his underlord goau'ld Skippy the nasty kangaroo!

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
        Do you think the Emu could become a Goa'uld in the storyline? I mean, the Emu's eyes practically glow already, and I have to admit the mental image of a crazed Emu system lord, ranting and raving (squawking and flapping?) at the other system lords in conclave (or would that be squawking, flapping, kicking and pecking?) brings an instant snicker to my lips. And could you imagine his costume as a system lord? Sally Rand, fan dancer, meets Elvis Pressley, Vegas era, in the grandest, and gratuitously gold-plated, Yolngu style. And then, of course, the Emu will become the supreme system lord, and try to subjugate the universe, which will bring him into conflict with the Ori, and necessitate an alliance with his one time comrades, now hated enemies, the Tau'ri, and much more squawking, flapping, kicking, and pecking, will, of course, ensue.

(Why is this sounding like more fun than season 9 right now? )

And last, but far from least, Congratulations, Myrth!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          Captions???

Why do I have to choose between blue or green jello? Why can't I have both?
          sigpic

Comment

Sorry to post and run, but I'm getting hungry and need to go have some food.

Later taters!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              I'm sorry ... am I missing something here (re: JM's argument about leadership qualities)?! It's a very weak position to state that RDA brought "only a self-deprecating sense of humor" to his role of Jack O'Neill. O'Neill was former black-ops, honorably "retired", and had the very important experience of going through the original Stargate to fight RA. Good Lord, this is an answer to a well-placed question that leaves a lot to be desired.

And since when did other SG teams have inexperienced leaders going off-world? Weren't all these teams especially recruited and trained for Stargate travel and missions? When the Russian soldier wanted to join the team, Jack refused him because he did not have the necessary experience for SGC.

I'm disappointed in JM's reasoning and answer.
              You are so right, ChopinGal. Plus the Stargate program has been in existence for almost a decade! So after all this time, you bring in someone who has no gate experience! Not only that, but you make him the leader of SG-1--the most elite team there is!

And then he says that they compromised and went with co-leadership. What exactly did the writers compromise on? Some wanted Mitchell and some wanted Sam? What are they compromising in their minds? Well, we want a male lead and some fans will want that, but Sam really deserves it, given her history, but she is a woman, so ... And the co-leadership situation was brought about by TPTB with no Scifi/Sony influence?

Very confusing answer.

Note: once again as everyone has said on this thread, this situation has nothing to do with BB.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                Joe has also answered this one.

Quote:
                Originally Posted by binkpmmc --

Joe -

As you can see there are a great many fans that wanted Sam to be sg1's sole leader again in S9, and why, because TPTB gave us the idea of Sam being sg1's sole leader in S8, as well as on several occasions prior to S8. If you were going to take away sole leadership and give her a co-leader why didn't you show the why, the when, the where, the how of it, and why bring on a co-leader who has NEVER even SEEN a Stargate, never been off-world, etc., and who, by all appearances thus far, has nothing to bring to the team that was not already there when it was Sam, Teal'c and Daniel?

As always, thanks for your time.

Quote:
                Originally Posted by JMallozzi --

Using that line of reasoning, you could argue that Jack didn't really bring anything to the team either beside his self-deprecating sense of humor. Mitchell was given command of SG-1 at a time when there was no SG-1. Like many of the other SG team leaders out there, he had no experience in off-world travel when handed command. The previous members of the team had gone their separate ways, so he wasn't taking command away from anyone. Rather than build a whole new team, he chose to go with what worked, the old SG-1. Eventually, he reunited the team. In the writers room, we did debate the whole leadership issue and eventually compormised, deciding on a co-leadership.

well... what's left to say. they brought in mitchell/ben to be THE leading character. at least that's what i seems like to me. the new stargate is starring ben/mitchell, with his supporting characters of sam, teal'c, and daniel.

i guess i can take comfort in that they didn't totally erase sam's command. so she's co-leading with a new character. don't like it, but the alternative was sam being demoted to total second in command again.

i wonder if there's going to be a season 10? i wonder if, as a sam fan and s/j shipper, i should ask him what would attrack me to it. i wonder if i hold my breath, i'll see floating cows. i think i stand a chance of seeing those cows commanding a fleet before i'd get an answer to my questions.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

((majorsal))

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                    well... what's left to say. they brought in mitchell/ben to be THE leading character. at least that's what i seems like to me. the new stargate is starring ben/mitchell, with his supporting characters of sam, teal'c, and daniel.
                    Yes. Which isn't to say Sam won't see her fair share of screen time, Sal. Don't forget that Joe is (and was) a major champion for bringing Ben on board this season to begin with. Ben's character is a personal project for Joe, and these are his ideas about what he feels will make the show stronger, so he's obviously going to march in the Cameron Mitchell band. But Amanda's still on the show, she's still a very strong character, and she'll be back in season ten. She'll stick up for her Sam Carter (as she always has) and the rest of the cards are simply going to fall where they will. I really wouldn't lose sleep over this. I don't think Amanda is, either.

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

And since when did other SG teams have inexperienced leaders going off-world? Weren't all these teams especially recruited and trained for Stargate travel and missions? When the Russian soldier wanted to join the team, Jack refused him because he did not have the necessary experience for SGC.
                      oh, they were inexperienced. when the program first started. i guess now they just go to walmart and shop around.

'pick up on aisle 5! cameron mitchell fell off the shelf'

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

geek sam - 'see, that's just it. when you factor in everything you know about light refractions and time dilations. then add in solar flares and einstein's theory on relativity... you have to admit that one moment in time can be more than even stephen hawking knew about. and then--'

geek daniel - 'sam, what are you talking about?'

geek sam - 'i don't understand this green light on my glasses!'

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                          Yes. Which isn't to say Sam won't see her fair share of screen time, Sal. Don't forget that Joe is (and was) a major champion for bringing Ben on board this season to begin with. Ben's character is a personal project for Joe, and these are his ideas about what he feels will make the show stronger, so he's obviously going to march in the Cameron Mitchell band. But Amanda's still on the show, she's still a very strong character, and she'll be back in season ten. She'll stick up for her Sam Carter (as she always has) and the rest of the cards are simply going to fall where they will. I really wouldn't lose sleep over this. I don't think Amanda is, either.

mini

thanks, minigeek.

so, is a season 10 for sure now?

wish i could get excited about it

in joe's answers tonight, he revealed that there's no real proof that rda is going to return for a 200th episode, and that there's no real proof that there's going to be a stargate movie.

but i *will* get the cameron mitchell show, co-starring vala.

sally

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                            so, is a season 10 for sure now?
                            I'd be very suprised if there wasn't

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek

mini
                              Nicely said, wanted to green ya, but couldn't!

BTW - I just read Joe's answers he posted today, and among others, this one stood out for me: Somebody asked about the chance of Baal coming back again and this is what Joe answered:

Originally posted by JMallozzi
                              There's a good chance we'll see something like this develop as Baal has grown to like Earth and certainly has the resources to make a power move. Look for it in season 10.
                              Is that supposed to mean what I hope it means?

Oh, and for all of you who very unhappy with his answers, it appears that he is still checking out the "Discussion of his answers" thread.
                              Last edited by Dani76; 22 October 2005, 08:09 PM.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Bit of a GEEK!Sam dissertation on the way, lol

All these photos got me thinking about GEEK!Sam. I know some of us have very firm character theories about the differences between OUR Sam Carter and the GEEK!Sam Carter we saw in Moebius, so hopefully I won't stomp on anyone's toenails with my opinion.

The thing I've seen come up a lot is the discussion of how different the two characters are (which is true) but I think GEEK!Sam gave us a really neat idea of what STRONG!Sam (our Sam) is really insecure about, on a basic level.

Our Sam had a different upbringing than GEEK!Sam, since she had her father to set an example for her and to look up to. But there were some neat moments (and lines) that G!Sam had which I thought were telling. The notion that, at times she felt as though she was doing 'other people's homework' while they took the credit - and the notion that the only kind of guys she attracted were the kind that, shall we say, wouldn't have been on any champion sports team-unless there were pocket protectors involved!

She had a great line when Jack told her he thought she was 'hot' - she said "You're not the kind of guy I usually attract." Now, we all believed that about GEEK!Sam, given her lack of self-esteem, but what about (to a lesser degree) OUR Sam? I think that was telling for her, too, because I think her intelligence would intimidate the hell out of a lot of the (more 'macho-sect' guys who make up a great deal of the stereotypical military comando core). I think that's part of the reason she ended up making bad choices when it came to men (ie Jonas Hanson), because she herself found that type of man inaccessible, to some degree. There was a small part of her that knew she scared off a lot of guys, and she was never attracted to the "science geek" type of guy, herself, so when a guy like Jonas showed interest in her, she'd automatically find that more flattering than if, say someone like McKay did. Lets look at this realistically. No one with Sam Carter's brains would have gone through adolescence as captain of the cheerleading team; aka the girl dating the highschool quarterback. It just wouldn't happen, because kids are notorious for being less than charitable to the "smart ones". Her looks notwithstanding, someone like Jonas Hanson, for example, would almost certainly end up being the kind of guy who wanted a fairly superficial relationship. As ended up being the case.

I think OUR Sam has a lot of the same (latent) insecurities as GEEK!Sam did, but to a lesser degree, and of course not as overtly. As a Sam/Jack shipper, I also think that's part of the reason that she's been so reticent for so many years - regs aside - of expressing her feelings to Jack. Because she remembers what happened with Joans, and guys like Jack simply don't "fall" for her, in amy meaningful way. I think that's also the reason she was so taken with Pete so quickly and why she was so proud to tell everyone that "he's a cop". Because that right there made him NOT a science geek.

Just a few cents to throw into the Sam Carter analysis pile! But something I was thinking about for a while.

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Working...
                                X