This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marimba26
    Hanging around Jack O'Neill? Where do I sign up?
    hey Marimba, you know where to find him...I'm going over there now...

Thanks very much for the Master of the House video! It was great - although it forced me look at Mr. P. again - and I haven't done that since I screencapped that episode the first time around...

Don't want to sound unkind to DDL, but the shape of his head is looking strangely like a potato to me these days...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mala50
      My only conclusion is that RCC and AT slipped up (didn't think harder about how their words would sound) and/or are so angry with those fans (all "shippers" to them) who disagree with how the character was written that they don't care. To my eyes and ears they're just coming off overly petulant for professionals.

When put in this manner, I don't know what to think. I *truly* don't believe that AT or RCC resent the shipper fans, just that both 'might' be defending this storyline/character to the point of... I don't know what word to use. I really think everyone thought this character's intent would come off as inquisitive and defensive, instead of just plain selfish. It would be nice if they just admitted they'd made a mistake, but the more they try to cover PS's behavior the worse 'they' seem. They don't want to dump him and start over with another bf, fine. But at least acknowledge the damage done to the character(s) by having 'them' acknowledge his mistakes.

Sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        someone else did some research, which i don't have to c/p even if i could but

coop has a long standing habit of being able to write good team eps, redemption, un sel, etc

good daniel eps
        need and some others

good jack eps - paradise lost

and sucky sam eps. he wrote ascension along with first commandment

personally, he can't write sam when sam is the focus. he wrote another eps with a stalkerish character, orlin. wrote sam with the dysfunctional ex fiance, Jonas.....all inall, he just can't write sam. He writes her in a way that makes her look weak or out of the character the others write her in

his sam is rather wishy washy, weak, massively girly (as in the cliched can't make decisions, acts emotionally. she's not the decisive woman she is in other eps.)

it's also been said that while the other writers, once they're done, have a meeting and basically have their scripts beta'd....the other writers read them and point out inconsistencies and plot holes, his aren't.

what we see is pretty much what he wrote.

to me, this explains the perception that he's been short and rudish to fans with his 'issues' comment. he created pete, he wrote pete the way pete is. He wrote the plot holes that exacerbated pete's offensive (to some) actions....and his creation and the behavior of his creation have not been universally accepted and lauded and, i think, he's taking the criticism personally.
        Thank you Skydiver for your post. 'Need' is a great vehicle for Daniel's character & I liked it. And after reading your post the little light bulb turned on.......
        Having bought for **cough**cough** dollars the DVD's for the 1st 6 seasons <an alleged gift for Dad for father's day which I plan to watch for QC purposes before he gets them ....guess he'll get them belatedly!> & planning to watch the shows in order (to get the weird order I've watched the shows on SciFi outta my mind) I watched "First Commandment" (ep. #105) on Weds. & so it's fresh in my mind....
        He does write characters like Jonas very well. And the words that were put in Sam's mouth as she described Jonas to Daniel......"controlling" yet "charming." (Shades of Pete?) And then they have Sam describe herself as "falling for the lunatic fringe." Jonas calls Sam the "healer of the emotionally wounded" (though he admits he was her one failure). It ties into how Orlin & (yuck now that I think about it) later Pete were presented/written. And as far as how Sam is portrayed in those eps...........way different to how she is in other eps or the series overall. (In that one scene in "FC" I was like shoot him! shoot him! & went huh? when she wouldn't.)

(And kinda on topic....how old was Jonas? He seemed way older/grayer/wrinklier than Jack & in the next ep. (#106 "Brief Candle") when Jack admitted to being 40 it made me wonder about Jonas. Placing Sam in her early 30's at the beginning of the series.... hey - there's only an 8-10 yr difference & I've got a friend from HS who's soon approaching her 20th wedding anniversary to her hubs who's 10 yrs older than she is....... so I think that a relationship between them is entirely plausible. )
        Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
        My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
          JM is an ex-producer too. Maybe he has to pickup all that extra slack because Rob is too busy giving interviews
          quite you, and let me have my delusions
          i'd still like to find it suspicious, considering that JM is known for his nice shippy spoilers, which we are lacking as of late!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            I'll love -like, almost, kinda- PS if he gives up his life for Sam!!!

Sally
            I'll still be saying "don't get any blood on Sam's uniform!

Mala, great fic!

and of course Happy Birthday to HailDorothy!

"I think that, to some degree, all of us are fractured souls. Cut in half. And we wander through life looking for the rest of ourselves. And sometimes we're fortunate enough to meet someone who possesses, in themselves, the part of ourselves that we've been missing. We may not realize it on a conscious level, but definitely on a subconscious level. We see in someone else... something of ourselves. Thats why sometimes you meet someone and you just immediately feel comfortable with them. You feel like you've known them all your life. The reason is that they're a part of you, and you're a part of them. You're soul mates. you... fit. And once you've fit together, nothing can pull you apart unless you let go."
            ~Imzadi
            describes Sam and Jack pretty well to me!

<dancing and chanting in my ceremonial BDUs>
            Screw the regs! DOWN with ! He's no threat to O'Neill! Sam and Jack FOREVER!

Comment

Originally posted by Ice^^Heat
              <snip>
              I just wish we could see them spent time together offbase... What would they do? What would they talk about?
              Considering how little they've really "talked" there's a whole world of conversations to have, subjects to cover.........& there's always work if worse comes to worse.... which IMO probably wouldn't happen (the running out of things to talk about part).

<tries to think of cute conversation & gets a pretty good start, but deletes it after continuous family interruptions..........will have to surrender computer to family for remainder of evening........> <smiles .......looking forward to end of weekend when new computer will be hooked up to new highspeed connection.......>
              Last edited by ShimmeringStar; 18 June 2004, 06:08 PM. Reason: to add a touch of clarification
              Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
              My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mala50
                My only conclusion is that RCC and AT slipped up (didn't think harder about how their words would sound) and/or are so angry with those fans (all "shippers" to them) who disagree with how the character was written that they don't care. To my eyes and ears they're just coming off overly petulant for professionals.
                i don't hink they're angry or anything, but i do think that it can be very frustrating to make something that you're very proud of and then find out that it's not well received.

amanda was very proud of her time with pete. she said she enjoyed stepping out of soldier sam and turning into woman sam. RCC is apparantly proud of the character he created, especially in the fact that pete is now, apparantly, going to be a recurring character. I'd imagine it's the same with the person(s) that created jacob, or bra'tac or maybourne.

they create that character and then find out that he's definitely not popular among a decent sized chunk of the fandom. sort of a 'gee, i not only created this character, but s/he's back for X episodes and folks hate his/her guts'

i would imagine it's the same feelings someone had over Anise
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

almost forgot!

<dancing and chanting in my ceremonial BDUs> Screw the regs! DOWN with Pit! Sam and Jack FOREVER!

"I think that, to some degree, all of us are fractured souls. Cut in half. And we wander through life looking for the rest of ourselves. And sometimes we're fortunate enough to meet someone who possesses, in themselves, the part of ourselves that we've been missing. We may not realize it on a conscious level, but definitely on a subconscious level. We see in someone else... something of ourselves. Thats why sometimes you meet someone and you just immediately feel comfortable with them. You feel like you've known them all your life. The reason is that they're a part of you, and you're a part of them. You're soul mates. you... fit. And once you've fit together, nothing can pull you apart unless you let go."
                  ~Imzadi
                  describes Sam and Jack pretty well to me!

<dancing and chanting in my ceremonial BDUs>
                  Screw the regs! DOWN with ! He's no threat to O'Neill! Sam and Jack FOREVER!

Comment

Damian, btw, wrote the other 'out of character' -to me- ep of the season, Fragile Balance. I'm not a fan of that ep because of how it made Jack appear by the end. So both writers to me have shown a lacking when it comes to writing characters 'in' character. I want to be proud of my fave character(s), not cringing.
                    What is it that was "out of character" for you about FB?
                    ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                    The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

but at least with anise they admitted when they got it wrong, and she didn't appear in any more episodes after they realised it.

Comment

Originally Posted by marimba26
                        The only thing left for them to learn about each other in a relationship would be becoming lovers, which I think would be absolutely explosive.
                        Do you have a smiley for this?

Sally
                        Aunt Sally, I don't know if you were talking to me, but I can't resist.........

Of course this is afterwards, 'cuz this is a PG forum.

Token ~

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
                          What is it that was "out of character" for you about FB?
                          i found jack's trip to the liquor store off
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i found jack's trip to the liquor store off
                            I'm assuming you mean that he tried to buy alcohol while he was "under age".

He did seem to have a preoccupation with beer/drinking in that episode...
                            ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                            The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

i don't hink they're angry or anything, but i do think that it can be very frustrating to make something that you're very proud of and then find out that it's not well received.

amanda was very proud of her time with pete. she said she enjoyed stepping out of soldier sam and turning into woman sam. RCC is apparantly proud of the character he created, especially in the fact that pete is now, apparantly, going to be a recurring character. I'd imagine it's the same with the person(s) that created jacob, or bra'tac or maybourne.

they create that character and then find out that he's definitely not popular among a decent sized chunk of the fandom. sort of a 'gee, i not only created this character, but s/he's back for X episodes and folks hate his/her guts'

I do think they're frustrated that many don't love P. as much as they do. Are they angry? Maybe. Unprofessional in their tone? Yes. (and human? as 'it's human nature to be inquisitive' or 'it's human nature to be upset when disappointed'? ok, yes....)

A long time ago, in a former life, I worked in the biz... And working 12-14 hr days you get so focussed on the production itself that it's easy to lose sight of the bigger picture. When you're on a set, it's a whole 'nother world (because it is!) And you have fun (and not so much fun) but things happen that only you and those working on the show will know about. And then the show airs or if have the time, you screen it, and lo and behold, the reaction isn't what you expected...

And you think, hey, that was a great show...we did the best we could...but we had budget problems, ok maybe that scene went too long, but the caterers didn't show up on time...yadda yadda yadda....

But you know what? The audience doesn't care. They see the finished product. So after a while, hopefully you step back and think about the criticisms...hey, no one is perfect! And if there's enough outcry/criticism from your audience about a particular thing, then you should listen (or at least act like you're listening) to what's being said and address it rationally.
                              sigpic

Comment

Do you have a smiley for this?

Sally
                                How about this one?

Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                                Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                                Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Working...
                                X