Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really nice comments from Beau Bridges. I love his growing friendship and recognition of Ben's talent.... Also that he recognises what a big challenge it is for Ben to come into an established show

From the Stargate Mag #6...

"With Ben Browder, we are both coming into this situation together, new to this team. We actually have a close relationship, we really know each other [now]. He's a wonderful actor, and I appreciate that he is stepping into this team and he has managed it - and I realise how talented he is and how much potential he has. He is under a lot of pressure to reach the fans. But I think this year the audience has a lot to look forward to. I don't think they will be disappointed."

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
      Really nice comments from Beau Bridges. I love his growing friendship and recognition of Ben's talent.... Also that he recognises what a big challenge it is for Ben to come into an established show

"With Ben Browder, we are both coming into this situation together, new to this team. We actually have a close relationship, we really know each other [now]. He's a wonderful actor, and I appreciate that he is stepping into this team and he has managed it - and I realise how talented he is and how much potential he has. He is under a lot of pressure to reach the fans. But I think this year the audience has a lot to look forward to. I don't think they will be disappointed."
      Awww

I think out of anyone they could have brought in to join SG-1 TPTB made a fantastic choice with BB.

Comment

I agree.

I read that a lot of fans think that the only reason Ben was brought on board was because of the FarScape fans he would bring to the show. While I don't doubt that TPTB considered that in some part of their eeevil plans, all initial reports I heard said that TPTB were impressed with Ben's acting.

I also just think that Ben is right for this show. He has that handsome heroic leading man quality [albeit with the show's more ensemble style]. He's easygoing and a good fit with Shanks, Tapping, and Judge, who all seem quite easygoing themselves.

Okay, back into early holiday mode. I just had to check my email and thought I'd check this one thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
          I also just think that Ben is right for this show. He has that handsome heroic leading man quality [albeit with the show's more ensemble style]. He's easygoing and a good fit with Shanks, Tapping, and Judge, who all seem quite easygoing themselves.
          Ditto...and I believe TPTB would also choose people that as well as having the acting chops, would importantly fit in to the close cast unit. Ben himself has said that that aspect was also most important to him... the atmosphere of the set - as that's where he's going to work daily and is going to be his life. They have seemed to have all gelled really well and this can only be great for translation to the screen ... I bet it's absolutely manic on that set with them all being generally around the same age, funny as anything and with the capability of talking the hind leg off a donkey!

---
          Have a good Holiday folks!

Comment

I agree.

I read that a lot of fans think that the only reason Ben was brought on board was because of the FarScape fans he would bring to the show. While I don't doubt that TPTB considered that in some part of their eeevil plans, all initial reports I heard said that TPTB were impressed with Ben's acting.
            I had heard/read that too. I don't think that is the reason they hired BB for the part. Stargate is already holding its own. They hired him for his acting.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
              I had heard/read that too. I don't think that is the reason they hired BB for the part. Stargate is already holding its own. They hired him for his acting.
              Agreed. Ben Browder is a fantastically gifted actor and I'm certain TPTB were thrilled when he agreed to play the character of Cam Mitchell on SG-1. I'm a tad disappointed that he hasn't been given more scenes, and more time to show off his talents (I'm talking about his acting talents ). He has a real gift for capturing the essence of a character and I'm looking forward to seeing him develop the character of Cam Mitchell.
              On fighting:
              Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
              Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
                Ditto...and I believe TPTB would also choose people that as well as having the acting chops, would importantly fit in to the close cast unit. Ben himself has said that that aspect was also most important to him... the atmosphere of the set - as that's where he's going to work daily and is going to be his life. They have seemed to have all gelled really well and this can only be great for translation to the screen ... I bet it's absolutely manic on that set with them all being generally around the same age, funny as anything and with the capability of talking the hind leg off a donkey!

---
                Have a good Holiday folks!
                They do seem to be a happy bunch. Another reason I was happy about Ben taking the job, besides the feeding the family thing, was him having a good atmosphere to work and play, and that seems to be the case at Stargate. They better be treating Bennie right!

Comment

I agree.

Okay, back into early holiday mode. I just had to check my email and thought I'd check this one thread.
                  In the latest Stargate mag I think Martin and Joe (or could have been Brad) said that Ben and Beau were "big actors" or something that they wanted to bring in so again I think it was acting prowess they were after- otherwise they would have hired Kevin Sorbo!

Comment

Originally posted by Kas

I second that awwwwwwwwwwwww!!

Comment

... Best memory? Chatting with Lou Gossett, Jr., an idol of my for many many years. He couldn't have been any more humble, good natured, or generous in his work. And Ben Browder, by the way, is a hoot. Great cast, great crew, great show, life is good...
                      So says Larry Cedar, a.k.a., Prior 2 in a short interview:
                      http://www.thescifiworld.net/intervi...y_cedar_01.htm

Yes, this wasn't much of a post, but we were on page 4! FOUR!!!

Work is determined to undermine my Mitchell/Browder obsession.

Comment

Thanks for posting that Chillin. I would have missed that otherwise and I'm always interested to know how Ben is fitting in etc.

Did any of you US guys watch the S9 marathon? I was wondering what you thought of the progression of the character after having the chance to view uninterrupted? Did you notice any further quirks or character traits? I'm really impressed how Ben has carved out a totally new character, even though on paper, they are from the same mould. That is no mean feat and I found it a lovely natural progression when watching continuously in sequence.

Not long now until Babylon where hopefully, we'll learn a whole lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
                          Thanks for posting that Chillin. I would have missed that otherwise and I'm always interested to know how Ben is fitting in etc.

Did any of you US guys watch the S9 marathon? I was wondering what you thought of the progression of the character after having the chance to view uninterrupted? Did you notice any further quirks or character traits? I'm really impressed how Ben has carved out a totally new character, even though on paper, they are from the same mould. That is no mean feat and I found it a lovely natural progression when watching continuously in sequence.

Not long now until Babylon where hopefully, we'll learn a whole lot more.
                          Personally I think Ben did an amazing job with the role - he fell into this comfort with the character right off the bat. You can even see it when he's talking to Landry for the first time, the scene calls for him to be a 'ridged officer' but he's got that sparkle that there is so much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathain Nottingham
                            Personally I think Ben did an amazing job with the role - he fell into this comfort with the character right off the bat. You can even see it when he's talking to Landry for the first time, the scene calls for him to be a 'ridged officer' but he's got that sparkle that there is so much more.
                            I agree...and I also love the aspect of his little voice breaks etc when trying to hold back extreme disappointment. He was showing the absolute human/non-robotic side of a military officer... We know he could lead with authority (saw that in the flashbacks when readying to defeat Anubis), so I loved that they showed his humility and humanity right off the bat and not just a rigid military character.

Comment

Chronicling Mitchell:

907 –Ex Deus Machina

Tangibles:

Mitchell finally gets the band back together.

Intangibles:

At a briefing, Teal’c volunteers to talk with Gerak and gets a very self-satisfied grin on his face. Mitchell is told by Landry to go with Teal’c. Teal’c’s grin fades. Why? It could be that he doesn’t want Mitchell with him or that he is disappointed that Landry felt he needed assistance or just that he felt Mitchell would be unwelcome at a Jaffa council. At this point, Teal’c doesn’t dislike Mitchell, but I think it is a combination of the three.

At the council, Mitchell says that the Jaffa should do something “because it is the right thing to do.” I think it tells a lot about someone’s character if they think something should be done just because it is the right thing and not because they are expecting a payback.

Also at the council, Teal’c tells Mitchell that non-Jaffa are not allowed to talk. Mitchell immediately shuts up. He is respectful of other cultures. Even after the meeting when Teal’c is having informal conversations, Mitchell doesn’t speak until Teal’c talks to him directly.

Mitchell points to people for emphasis: when they make a good point or when it appears that he was thinking the same thing. In another briefing, he does this twice. The first time to Daniel when Mitchell identifies a problem as being not inflicting collateral damage and Daniel elaborates on this point. The second time to Sam when she comes up with the symbiote poison as a way around it. He emphasizes Sam’s good point by saying, “…and with the right delivery system: nothing but net. Nice.”

The Patch Scene
                              At the end of a briefing: Teal’c, Sam and Daniel head for the door. Mitchell seems to be delaying and then hesitantly says, “Hey, wait up.” He walks to Daniel and rips off the SGC badge Velcro-ed to his uniform and puts the SG-1 in its place. It seems that he is sure that Daniel will be joining the team. He holds up the patch to Sam and waits for her smiling, almost indulgent, nod. He then rips off her SGC badge and puts the SG-1 badge in its place with a slap. Then he squeezes her arm, either because he slapped her kind of hard or as a thank-you gesture. Probably both. He then holds the badge up to Teal’c. There is a pause. Teal’c is wearing a black tee-shirt, so takes the patch and bows slightly in acceptance. Mitchell grins, happy and maybe a little embarrassed, looks at all of them and says, “All right. That’s better.” The rest all smile at each other like they indulged the new guy. But they seem to be happy to be working together again and making it official. A great scene.

General Landry looked to Mitchell for approval in launching the missile. Landry was hesitating because the Jaffa on Earth would be killed along with Ba’al. Teal’c told him not to hesitate. Landry looked at Mitchell, who gave him a light nod. Then Landry gave the order. I doubt Landry just wanted to be able to point the finger at someone else if things went bad, so I believe Landry must have valued Mitchell’s opinion. Also, it shows that Mitchell is able to make the hard decisions [as was Teal’c]. This is a part of leadership that can be very hard, but I feel is necessary and a sign of someone that is a very strong leader.

Mitchell Saves The Day! When the general says that they should beam Carter and her team out of the Bomb Building, Mitchell gets an idea and calls Prometheus. His friend, Colonel Pendergast calls him “Cam”. With seconds to spare, Mitchell tells him to "beam" the building into space, where it can explode safely.

Quotes:

Daniel: One witness described the “3 individuals. Big. Tattooed. Chain mail pants.”
                              Mitchell: ” So, it’s either our Jaffa or Kiss is back on tour.”

To give Sam credit for a good suggestion: “…and with the right delivery system: nothing but net. Nice.”

To Prometheus: “We need a little help moving.” –Yeah, an entire building. I’ll bring the beer and you rent the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
                                I agree...and I also love the aspect of his little voice breaks etc when trying to hold back extreme disappointment. He was showing the absolute human/non-robotic side of a military officer... We know he could lead with authority (saw that in the flashbacks when readying to defeat Anubis), so I loved that they showed his humility and humanity right off the bat and not just a rigid military character.
                                Yeah I agree completely. I think it was a good idea to bring in fresh blood this far along, we don't need to see the military side of Cameron to understand he's a kick butt soldier, we've seen how that can be done with O'Neill and Carter, now we get to start out where it took 1/2 seasons to get the original SG-1 to. Its nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X