X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cajnjirl
    Hmmmm.
    Wonder who taught Mitchell to speak Chinese? His ex-wife, maybe?

Hmmmm, I wouldn't be surprised if it's something like this. There is also that deleted scene that Mallozzi wrote about:

Scene 13: Mitchell interviews Black Daniel

I had a lot of fun layering in subtle hints at the various AU relationships, and this was an opportunity to drop a clue about Mitchell and a certain someone-else. Unfortunately, in trimming the episode, the following exchange was lost for time.
    Black #Daniel takes a sip. Green Mitchell settles in, taking the seat across from him.
    GREEN MITCHELL: So, can I get you anything else? Something to eat?
    Black Daniel sizes Green Mitchell up, considers, then tests him -
    BLACK DANIEL: Know what I feel like? The ginger beef from Hunan House.
    Clearly, Green Mitchell doesn't know what he's talking about.
    BLACK DANIEL: Hunan House on Academy Boulevard? Your favorite Szechwan restaurant? The first place you and ...
    GREEN MITCHELL: Me and ...? BLACK DANIEL: Never mind. Check it out. I have a feeling you'll love it.

I was wondering if that was when they were seemingly contemplating Cam having a past history with Lam? And that's where he picked up some of the lingo. Perhaps the almost Cam/Lam storyline (Lexa Doig did say in an interview that they were going to show Cam/Lam on a date but didn't include it), was decided against being followed through with the news of Lexa's pregnancy?

Comment

Thanks for the link Kas, those were hilarious - I hadn't seen the other two vids.

Banner by angelfire east

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
        I was wondering if that was when they were seemingly contemplating Cam having a past history with Lam? And that's where he picked up some of the lingo. Perhaps the almost Cam/Lam storyline (Lexa Doig did say in an interview that they were going to show Cam/Lam on a date but didn't include it), was decided against being followed through with the news of Lexa's pregnancy?
        I think the scene was most likely alluding to a relationship between Mitchell and Lam as there were some visual cues earlier in season showing there may be an attraction between the two. Although, I have to say, the way the scene reads it also sorta sounds like Daniel and Mitchell have a past relationship.

Banner by angelfire east

Comment

Originally posted by Jades
          I think the scene was most likely alluding to a relationship between Mitchell and Lam as there were some visual cues earlier in season showing there may be an attraction between the two. Although, I have to say, the way the scene reads it also sorta sounds like Daniel and Mitchell have a past relationship.
          Haha. I had heard that before and it's quite a fun interpretation!!!

Thanks for the links, too, Jades. We appreciate when you drop by to keep us up on these things. I'll check it out when more bosses have gone home...

Yours, too, Kas...

Comment

Chronicling Mitchell:

912 ā€“ Collateral Damage

Mitchell was more horrified that Reya was dead than that he was accused of killing her. When Mitchell was brought to see her body, he stared at Reya, even as he was being accused of being her murderer. When someone accuses you, you stare at them incredulously, but he never takes his eyes off of Reya. Either he is more concerned by her death than his own innocence at that time, or it doesnā€™t even register that he is being accused.

Mitchell as Emissary via Memory machine. Ben Browder does a good job of being Mitchell being the Emissary. The Emissary tends to pause mid-sentence and Ben did that, too. Also the arm flourish with the drink seemed like something the Emissary would do. The Emissary seemed to be thinking of a romantic exchange with Reya: when he helps himself to an alcoholic drink and when he touches her robe. He doesnā€™t pursue it when she pulls back, but itā€™s possible that Mitchellā€™s later romantic ideas with Reya were formed from this implanted memory. Weā€™ve seen no other indication that Mitchell allows himself to become romantically intrigued upon first meeting someone.

ā€œIā€™m hoping there will be dancing.ā€ I know many people align this remark with thinking Mitchell wants to dance with Reya, but I just thought it was going to be another one of his tag lines, like "I hope there's cake" was to Oā€™Neill. Mitchell looks completely unabashed about this remark, so I think itā€™s just another of his throw-away lines.

ā€œI donā€™t really think diplomacy is my thingā€¦ā€ Mitchell says. Daniel teases, ā€œOoooh, thatā€™s what you were doingā€¦ā€ Mitchell looks confused. I donā€™t think he was aware that he was flirting. Maybe mildly, but not to the point that others would notice.

ā€œā€¦I might be able to help you out.ā€ When Mitchell tells Reya that his role in this diplomatic mission might be able to help her out, she really turns on the charm. Not that I donā€™t think sheā€™s not attracted to Mitchell, but she clearly sees another advantage to pursuing him, and for speeding up that pursuit by inviting him over via walking her home through the ā€œcrime-riddenā€ streets.

I was married for a while, but the job got in the way.ā€ ā€œWell, that I understand.ā€ I know a popular interpretation of Mitchellā€™s line is that he, too, was married and that being in the Air Force kept it from being successful, but I donā€™t necessarily think thatā€™s true. Itā€™s certainly possible, but he could have made the same remark just from seeing it happen to someone else: his parents, a close friend, --or even just seeing it happen often to other Air Force personnel would be enough for him to ā€œunderstandā€ how the job can get in the way of a relationship. Also, if it was his relationship he is referring to, it could be that the job broke it up before they even got to the marriage stage. I think this might actually have something to do with the alluded-to previous relationship between Mitchell and Lam. I donā€™t think they were married, but I think itā€™s likely that they were dating, were getting serious, but either his job or hers, or both, caused a break-up, possibly when one took a proffered opportunity for something better, career-wise.

Emissary: When we found him, his blood alcohol was extremely high.ā€ From one mouthful? What do they serve on that planet? I know Reya admitted it was strong, butā€¦ MADD must have left some pretty stringent laws over there!

Whether Mitchell and Reya had sex: I donā€™t think they did. During the murder memory, Reya was wearing the same clothes she had worn to the party. If they had indeed spent the night together, I doubt she would have put them back on, either to walk Mitchell to the door after or to answer the door. She had no problem receiving the Emissary in her robe, I donā€™t think this would be different. I think Reya was killed before they got the chance.

ā€œIf they think Iā€™m guilty, why are they letting me go?ā€ Mitchell wants to fight for his innocence or learn the truth if he is guilty. Interesting is how the others in his team react:
            ā€œColonel Mitchell has been falsely accusedā€¦ā€ Tealā€™c is concerned with the justice as it concerns Mitchell.
            ā€œWhich means there can still be a murderer out thereā€¦ā€ Daniel is concerned with justice.
            ā€œWe have no idea how their legal system worksā€¦ā€ Sam is pragmatic.
            All responses are supportive of Mitchell, but in slightly different ways.

Flashback: Young Cameron sees Dad for first time since the horrible accident which leaves his father a double amputee. Cameron is about 10 yrs old and terrified. He looks scared to death to face his father. His father also looks terrified as to how his son will react. Standing in the doorway, Cameron finds the inner strength to smile at his father. This relieves his fatherā€™s fears and he smiles back. Cameronā€™s smile becomes more relaxed and relieved, too, as both he and his father realize they will be fine. I believe that this is part of the strength that Cameronā€™s father relates to him later. It couldnā€™t have been easy for a 10 yr old to reassure his father. To Carter, Mitchell says, ā€œItā€™s the first time I saw him after the crash. Scared the hell out of me to see him like that. Somehow, heā€¦ made it seem everything was going to be okay.ā€ Mitchell gives credit to his father for being strong, but I think Mitchell was a little bit stronger in that scene ā€“ he was the first one to smile and give his father what he needed.

By the way, the young actor playing young Cameron has gorgeous blue eyes, like his grown-up counterpart.

Flashback: Space shuttle launch. Cameron was around 10 years old. First space shuttle launch was in 1981, so Cameron was born around 1971, so that makes Cameronā€™s age about 35. Cameronā€™s father says, ā€œSpace planes. I tell you whatā€¦ if they can pull that off, the least I can do is walk again.ā€ Dad proved to be a future inspiration for his sonā€™s own injuries.

Flashback: Mustang 3 bearing down on targetā€¦ To prove his innocence, Mitchell has to bring to the surface of his mind a horrific mission he had where innocents were killed. It wasnā€™t his fault, but he takes personal responsibility for it. Afterward, in his superiorā€™s office, Ben portrays the incredible angst that we have seen before in his acting. From his anguished voice to his clenching hands and defeated body language, this is a powerful scene. Well done, Ben!

Mitchell/Samantha bonding: After reliving that horrible memory, Samantha sits with Mitchell and gives him quiet support. A very touching moment. Even after proving his innocence, heā€™s willing to have his mind raped even more to find the real murderer. Before proceeding he says, ā€œHey, Samā€¦ Thanks.ā€ She gives him a kind of squinty smile, like, ā€œWhat else would I do?ā€ They seem to have a very supportive relationship. Itā€™s quite nice.

ā€œI still remember her. Thanks.ā€ Even though Mitchell allowed them to erase the false memories, he wanted to remember Reya. Some of memories would still be painful, but he didnā€™t want to forget.

Landry/Mitchell bonding scene: Mitchell used some quite strong language in his final report [as did Carter and Jackson]. Landry admits that he knows what memory Mitchell used to help prove his innocence and Mitchell admits that he almost resigned his commission over it.

Flashback: Mitchell and Dad: walking through park, after the bombing incident, Mitchellā€™s dad tells him to stick with the Air Force because he wouldnā€™t be happy otherwise.
            Dad also tells Mitchell, ā€œIt would have been easier if you had grown up to be more like your mother, but youā€™re just like me, always looking to the horizonā€¦ always looking for something more.ā€
            Mitchell: ā€œNo, Iā€™m not like you, Dad. Iā€™m not that strong.ā€
            Dad: ā€œThatā€™s here youā€™re wrong, kid. You just donā€™t know it yetā€¦ā€
            This is a mirror scene of Crichton [FarScape] and his Dad. Both were wonderful scenes, but I think this one is even more poignant. In FarScape, Crichton said he could never be the hero his dad was, but his dad foreshadowed that he would be his own kind of hero. In Stargate, Mitchell didnā€™t think he was as strong as his father, but his father foreshadowed that he was even stronger, and that he would realize it some day.

Quotes:

ā€œThe last is the one who gets it right.ā€

ā€œIā€™m hoping there will be dancingā€¦ā€

I thought Iā€™d have more quotes, but as this episode gets grittier, it becomes obvious that there are less ā€œquotable quotesā€ and more powerful scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by gbbarb
              Had to post links to couple of stories that are very snarky like myself. Hope you enjoy

Mr Jingles (who I secretly worship for his mastery of John)

http://www.cassiddidy.com/writing/jingles/index.html

Snarkiness from Gaters (who knew they had a sense of humors, just kidding, put down the torches)

http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...x/901bbe.shtml
              I wasn't into the jingles stuff, but the SG-1 thing was fun! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Okay I couldn't wait until the bosses went home. I had to take the chance...

The Collateral Damage video was good, but not one I'll watch a lot. A little beating goes a long way, I guess. It really was well done, though. I just thought they showed the beating scene a little too repetively.

The Mitchell Effect was lots of fun, but my favorite was Taking Care of Business. Some absolutely perfect scenes were picked to fit the words of the song and ActionPackedMitchell is a favorite of mine. I absolutely loved this video and will be watching it again...

Thanks again, Jades and Kas!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jades
                  Though the Cam/Lam + Hunan House seems to make more sense, I thought Black Cam and Black Sam had a thing going on (PdL did have them kissing in the elevator in an unused scene)

Comment

Originally posted by Anya
                    Though the Cam/Lam + Hunan House seems to make more sense, I thought Black Cam and Black Sam had a thing going on (PdL did have them kissing in the elevator in an unused scene)
                    Ah, but according to Mallozzi:

We were watching the dailies of this scene over lunch one day when I saw something that made me choke on my turkey club. In more than one take, Black Mitchell and Black Carter discuss as they head toward the elevator and then, inexplicably, take one another's hand and step inside. As the elevator doors close, they lean in for a kiss ... What the hell? I went down to set and asked Peter DeLuise, the episode's director, what the thinking was behind that scene. He explained that he was just offering up a visual cue to the relationship being hinted at throughout the episode.
                    Apparently, Peter had assumed that the references to AU Mitchell's dinner at the Hunan House (which didn't make the cut), AU Carter's pregnancy and honeymoon, all pointed to the fact that these two were "an item." An interesting interpretation I'd never thought of -- but not the one intended.
                    PDL... definitely did set up most Black Mitchell/Carter scenes to really suggest that they were an item... but this doesn't seem to have been the author's intent and It'd be too cliche to automatically try and set up the two in 'our' Stargate reality. I really hope they never go that route... I want to see Mitchell develop independant romantic relationships... (pity Reya had to die Great chemistry between Ben and Anna Galvin there). I'm loving the caring friendship role between Cam and Sam.

Comment

Thanks once again for that overview of Collateral Damage, Chillin. I always look forward to them because you really pick up on the main points of the episode and analyse them so well.

The only thing that I feel slightly differently about is the:

ā€œIā€™m hoping there will be dancing.ā€
                      line.

I'm not really certain it was such a throwaway remark. Mitchell's relatively young and single (at least at present). I think his character shows that he does appreciate having fun and that he'd love to have a bit of a party when it is possible. I also believe that the 'attraction' came well before the reception... whether due to the implant received immediately or not, but the others noticed it as soon as he spoke to Reya in the Science Lab. Perhaps, he sees dancing as a fun opportunity to get to know someone better?

And I'd LOVE to see Ben dancing... he moves really well. Anyone seen 'Daughters of Priviledge'?

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                        Okay I couldn't wait until the bosses went home. I had to take the chance...

The Collateral Damage video was good, but not one I'll watch a lot. A little beating goes a long way, I guess. It really was well done, though. I just thought they showed the beating scene a little too repetively.

The Mitchell Effect was lots of fun, but my favorite was Taking Care of Business. Some absolutely perfect scenes were picked to fit the words of the song and ActionPackedMitchell is a favorite of mine. I absolutely loved this video and will be watching it again...

Thanks again, Jades and Kas!!!
                        You're Welcome. Taking Care of Business is my absolute fav. as well. I love action Mitchell too! (And seeing Ben doing most of his stunts!)

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
                          And I'd LOVE to see Ben dancing... he moves really well. Anyone seen 'Daughters of Priviledge'?
                          I did! And I'd love to see Mitchell dance too, even in the camos.

Comment

Dancing Mitchell??????

Okay, just got around to seeing the videos and I have to say, they were awesome. I love "The Mitchell Effect" maybe it was the sock comment and taking care of business was wonderful.
                            Join the Ori War Today.Join Now

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
                              Thanks once again for that overview of Collateral Damage, Chillin. I always look forward to them because you really pick up on the main points of the episode and analyse them so well.

The only thing that I feel slightly differently about is the:

line.

I'm not really certain it was such a throwaway remark. Mitchell's relatively young and single (at least at present). I think his character shows that he does appreciate having fun and that he'd love to have a bit of a party when it is possible. I also believe that the 'attraction' came well before the reception... whether due to the implant received immediately or not, but the others noticed it as soon as he spoke to Reya in the Science Lab. Perhaps, he sees dancing as a fun opportunity to get to know someone better?

Thanks for the compliment, Kas.

I relish the chance to discuss any different interpretations, so...

I guess "throw away line" was the wrong terminology. Maybe catch phrase? Anyway, I don't doubt that Mitchell likes to dance, but what I meant to say was that I didn't see it as a specific statement like, "I hope there's dancing so I can put the moves on someone, specifically, the hot scientist." [I know you're not exactly saying that yourself] I saw it as a general statement. I, too, think he was attracted to Reya in the science lab [possibly due to the thought being "implanted" during the memory exhange], but I don't think he was thinking of that when he made the statement. I could be wrong though, because he doesn't seem embarrassed when he does make comments that could be construed as, maybe, slightly inappropriate. He seems very comfortable with himself and others.

But, LOL, every time I think of Ben dancing, I think of that little whatever-it-was [somewhere between a dance step and strutting and.... something] in Look At the Princess [FarScape] after a few test-kisses. I loved that!

and now, being a Ben Browder fan, I am quite ashamed... What is Daughters of Priviledge?

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                                But, LOL, every time I think of Ben dancing, I think of that little whatever-it-was [somewhere between a dance step and strutting and.... something] in Look At the Princess [FarScape] after a few test-kisses. I loved that!

and now, being a Ben Browder fan, I am quite ashamed... What is Daughters of Priviledge?
                                That scene in Look of the Princess was hilarious... Daughters of Privilege was a 1991 TV movie that Ben made. He had a dancing scene with actress Kate Vernon who is currently playing Helen Tigh on Battlestar Galactica.

I still believe that Mitchell meant the remark literally when he came out with the comment. I don't see that it'd necessarily be a bad thing to hope that a reception would also be fun as well as diplomatic. He seemed to have that 'dreamy' expression on his face with the comment, as if thinking of possibilities. Of course, what we are seeing is the attraction of Mitchell to Reya. This attraction could have been compounded by the memory implant but I'm still not certain that that was solely it. Mitchell was pleased to have his memory of his time with Reya intact as it was his fond memory. If he felt this was false, made against his will, wouldn't he have had that removed along with the other false input?

Comment

Working...
                                X