The Vala/Claudia Black Discussion & Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lissa1000
    After reading some of the spoilers for season 10, I'm really excited. I can't wait to see how they justify adding Vala to the team.

I think it would be really cool if Vala and Sam became friends. They are very different, so it would be unexpected. I think the antis are afraid Sam will be dropped in favor of Vala, but I can see them working together. There is plenty of room for 2 women on the show.
    Ditto about Sam/Vala. I hate when shows don't pair up the women. In RL, most women in a work situation buddy up with another woman, not a guy...okay, this is Vala we're talking about but still.

It seemed to me that in Beachhead, Vala showed more respect towards Sam than she did to the guys in the preceding outings. I thought that was pretty cool.

I love CB; whatever they do with the character, I hope it doesn't become a caricature or a pale by comparison version of Aeryn Sun (the best female character EVER, imho).

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524
      Ditto about Sam/Vala. I hate when shows don't pair up the women. In RL, most women in a work situation buddy up with another woman, not a guy...okay, this is Vala we're talking about but still.

It seemed to me that in Beachhead, Vala showed more respect towards Sam than she did to the guys in the preceding outings. I thought that was pretty cool.

I love CB; whatever they do with the character, I hope it doesn't become a caricature or a pale by comparison version of Aeryn Sun (the best female character EVER, imho).
      I hope we will see more V/S buddy scenes
      Where did you see that Vala showed more respect towards Sam in Beachhead?
      and i think Sam wasn't that nice at all to Vala

Comment

Originally posted by valaCB
        I never thought Sam "dissed" Vala--she looked more confused at Vala's presence. I thought the "back-up singer" line, which many Vala-fans see as a dis, was actually quite clever and in line with Mitchell's getting the band back together analogy. And it was certainly a legitimate question from a Lt Col in the Air Force--who IS this person? And why is she here? It would have rung completely false had Carter fallen all over herself over Vala.

In Beachhead, early on when they're all in the gateroom and Carter's going on about something (can't remember what), Vala shows actual interest in what Carter's saying, as opposed to eye rolling, and addresses Carter as "Colonel Carter" with a tone of respect. And, later, when she actually goes off the dismantle the super-gate, she credits Carter with the idea, something to the effect of "it was actually Col Carter's idea." I never thought she gave the guys much credit for brains--Teal'c and Mitchell were just the muscle and Daniel was just fun to annoy. She couldn't play that card with Carter so I think she was just straight up with her.

I'll try to find the quotes I have in mind. Also, in Crusade, Carter seemed as sympathetic to Vala's plight as anyone, possibly more so because she clearly understood the ramifications of a pregnancy under those weird circumstances. At least, that was the vibe I was getting.

I definitely do not want to see a Vala vs Carter campaign or cat fight. There's absolutely no reason why these two interesting, smart and strong women (each in her own way), can't find common ground and understanding.

Comment

Ok, here's the first scene I had in mind, and a lot has to do with Vala's body language/expression more than the actual dialogue:

CARTER: We've revised the original plans slightly to expedite matters. The Prometheus is enroute and will rendezvous with us at P4C-452. We’ll proceed to kalana from there. Now considering their unique ability to maintain an active Stargate indefinitely and their force field capabilities… the President has authorized any and all means to complete the mission.

MITCHELL: Oh boy. *Mutters to Teal’c* And here I was trying to have a nuke free career.

CARTER: We've been developing something at Area 51, that General O'Neill believes will be our best chance to stop them. right here. right now.

VALA: But you don't agree?

CARTER: *licks lips, thinking of the best way to say it* I agree we have to try. I just don't think it'll be enough.

Then, later:

JACKSON: What are you doing?

VALA: Trying to help, Daniel. Someone had to do something and you wouldn't listen. Actually, I got the idea from Colonel Carter. The objects are being held in some sort of energy field like links in a chain and I intend to take the place of the last link.

CARTER: Vala, when that singularity forms, there will be a powerful shockwave. The cargo ship won't survive.

VALA: I'm counting on it. I'll ring back before it hits. Then you can all thank me immensely.

Vala, decloaks the ship and moves it toward the objects.

Carter goes on to point out that Vala's running out of time, then later, she did it and the gate's been destroyed.

Again, there's body language and expression but Carter looks impressed.

Comment

I never thought Sam "dissed" Vala--she looked more confused at Vala's presence. I thought the "back-up singer" line, which many Vala-fans see as a dis, was actually quite clever and in line with Mitchell's getting the band back together analogy. And it was certainly a legitimate question from a Lt Col in the Air Force--who IS this person? And why is she here? It would have rung completely false had Carter fallen all over herself over Vala..
            She could said 'Who is she' instead of the "back-up singer" line. It's more nice...
            In Beachhead, early on when they're all in the gateroom and Carter's going on about something (can't remember what), Vala shows actual interest in what Carter's saying, as opposed to eye rolling, and addresses Carter as "Colonel Carter" with a tone of respect. And, later, when she actually goes off the dismantle the super-gate, she credits Carter with the idea, something to the effect of "it was actually Col Carter's idea." I never thought she gave the guys much credit for brains--Teal'c and Mitchell were just the muscle and Daniel was just fun to annoy. She couldn't play that card with Carter so I think she was just straight up with her. I'll try to find the quotes I have in mind
            Good point. never thought about that. Vala as we know her, knows how to communicate with people and to make contact with Sam is to credit her about her work and to be interesting.

. Also, in Crusade, Carter seemed as sympathetic to Vala's plight as anyone, possibly more so because she clearly understood the ramifications of a pregnancy under those weird circumstances. At least, that was the vibe I was getting.
            this scene is A LOT different from the scenes with sam in the first 6 episodes. In this episode Vala is different and she trying to help GWC so , no need for tricks, she's more relax (Even if in her world the Ori maybe will kill her if they found her) that's why i think it was more woman thing than anything else.

I definitely do not want to see a Vala vs Carter campaign or cat fight. There's absolutely no reason why these two interesting, smart and strong women (each in her own way), can't find common ground and understanding.
            I agree completely
            Last edited by valaCB; 05 May 2006, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Ok, here's the first scene I had in mind, and a lot has to do with Vala's body language/expression more than the actual dialogue:

CARTER: We've revised the original plans slightly to expedite matters. The Prometheus is enroute and will rendezvous with us at P4C-452. We’ll proceed to kalana from there. Now considering their unique ability to maintain an active Stargate indefinitely and their force field capabilities… the President has authorized any and all means to complete the mission.

MITCHELL: Oh boy. *Mutters to Teal’c* And here I was trying to have a nuke free career.

CARTER: We've been developing something at Area 51, that General O'Neill believes will be our best chance to stop them. right here. right now.

VALA: But you don't agree?

CARTER: *licks lips, thinking of the best way to say it* I agree we have to try. I just don't think it'll be enough.

Then, later:

JACKSON: What are you doing?

VALA: Trying to help, Daniel. Someone had to do something and you wouldn't listen. Actually, I got the idea from Colonel Carter. The objects are being held in some sort of energy field like links in a chain and I intend to take the place of the last link.

CARTER: Vala, when that singularity forms, there will be a powerful shockwave. The cargo ship won't survive.

VALA: I'm counting on it. I'll ring back before it hits. Then you can all thank me immensely.

Vala, decloaks the ship and moves it toward the objects.

Carter goes on to point out that Vala's running out of time, then later, she did it and the gate's been destroyed.

Again, there's body language and expression but Carter looks impressed.
              Yup! Very nice. i liked this -VALA: But you don't agree?-

Comment

She could said 'Who is she' instead of the "back-up singer" line. It's more nice...
                That was really rude!!

Good point. never thought about that. Vala as we know her, knows how to communicate with people and to make contact with Sam is to credit her about her work and to be interesting.
                And Sam should get it!!

Me neither!! There is so much potential for a respectful relationship!!!
                Spoiler:

Comment

Yeah, but it's not nearly as funny. Nope, I liked that line. Showed a little spunk from Sam and a connection with Mitchell.

this scene is A LOT different from the scenes with sam in the first 6 episodes. In this episode Vala is different and she trying to help GWC so , no need for tricks, she's more relax (Even if in her world the Ori maybe will kill her if they found her) that's why i think it was more woman thing than anything else.

I agree completely
                  The thing with Vala, I think, is that she knows/knew that whatever manipulations she practiced on the guys were not going to work on another woman, especially not one who's smart and pretty. Vala has no power over her so she's going to have to treat her as an "equal". I don't think she sees the guys as equals, but something she can easily manipulate and push around.

For me, that's interesting because SG1 seems like a "guy-centric" show--the men have the power and Carter just nods and does what she's supposed to, which is right, I guess, given the military setting. Still, it's fun to see a person, especially a woman, who steps outside the box and upsets the status quo. And Vala might also be one who says "listen to Col Carter because she's smarter than the rest of you." When Carter was explaining stuff, there's an awful lot of speed it up looks and eye rolling from the not as technically smart
                  guys.

At least, I hope Carter and Vala will end up paired up at some point. I love Daniel/Vala but I want to see her interaction extend beyond DJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeryn/Vala
                    That was really rude!!

And Sam should get it!!

Me neither!! There is so much potential for a respectful relationship!!!
                    Exactly. And I want to see this kind of relationship being developed in season 10.

Comment

Yeah, but it's not nearly as funny. Nope, I liked that line. Showed a little spunk from Sam and a connection with Mitchell.
                      Nope! don't like it. don't care about Sam/Cam connection on account of Vala

The thing with Vala, I think, is that she knows/knew that whatever manipulations she practiced on the guys were not going to work on another woman, especially not one who's smart and pretty. Vala has no power over her so she's going to have to treat her as an "equal". I don't think she sees the guys as equals, but something she can easily manipulate and push around.
                      correct!

For me, that's interesting because SG1 seems like a "guy-centric" show--the men have the power and Carter just nods and does what she's supposed to, which is right, I guess, given the military setting. Still, it's fun to see a person, especially a woman, who steps outside the box and upsets the status quo. And Vala might also be one who says "listen to Col Carter because she's smarter than the rest of you." When Carter was explaining stuff, there's an awful lot of speed it up looks and eye rolling from the not as technically smart guys.
                      and that's why i love to see more Vala/Sam interact. Girls power

At least, I hope Carter and Vala will end up paired up at some point. I love Daniel/Vala but I want to see her interaction extend beyond DJ.
                      Me too.
                      I love love love Daniel/Vala as a frienship deal but i really want to see Vala interact with others especially Teal'c and some scenes with Jack (PLS!!!)

Comment

I agree. I don't think there will be any cat fights. It's too cliched. I can see these two polar opposites bringing out the best in eachother or maybe the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by lissa1000
                          I agree. I don't think there will be any cat fights. It's too cliched. I can see these two polar opposites bringing out the best in eachother or maybe the worst.
                          The worst might be a lot of fun. They don't have to always agree or necessarily get along, just like I wouldn't expect Mitchell and Daniel to always agree to get along. I just hope that, whatever their conflicts, they aren't girly in nature.

Comment

Bump with a Q.
                            What do you appreciate about Claudia?
                            Or star any subject about Claudia or Vala to move this thread forward

Comment

Great question valaCB

I appreciate that she's very cheeky. I also appreciate (while I might not agree with her choices acting wise) that she sticks to her acting choices and follows through with them. I appreciate that she seems to enjoy playing strong female characters and not those nambypambywimpy type of women we see all to frequently on telly. I also appreciate that she's simply stunning.

Next victim?
                              sigpic
                              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                                Great question valaCB

I appreciate that she's very cheeky. I also appreciate (while I might not agree with her choices acting wise) that she sticks to her acting choices and follows through with them. I appreciate that she seems to enjoy playing strong female characters and not those nambypambywimpy type of women we see all to frequently on telly. I also appreciate that she's simply stunning.

Next victim?
                                I have to agree with this part for certain: I appreciate that she seems to enjoy playing strong female characters and not those nambypambywimpy type of women we see all to frequently on telly. I also appreciate that she's simply stunning

She's got a rich, gorgeous voice. She's a seemingly private person yet is gracious towards her fans and even sang for them at a Farscape convention. She's intelligent, has a sense of humor and is self-deprecating. I went back to watch the hypaspace interview where she pops in during Shanks' interview, which some people really hated, and she makes a comment--"I'm all ears...no, really, I'm all ears." Anyone who's heard her speak in person knows that she's the first to point out that she's not perfect. And I admire and appreciate that as well.

Let me see...hmm...talented. Seems to have integrity in her work. Refuses nude scenes.

Oh, yeah, and the stunning part. Completely agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X