Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VSS View Post
    Again, not a lot of S/J going on here- except the FIRST gratuitous touching moment (GTM?) right after she gets whacked by Kawalsky and they’re sitting in the briefing room. Just so Jack can make sure she’s all right. Well, she’s just been to the infirmary, Jack! Of course she’s fine. But you just have to make sure, don’t you? (Sometimes I talk to the characters. Sorry!) I have to say that totally looks like something RDA just decided to do on the spot because it looks very natural. The chemistry in this ship is just amazing- really that’s what makes it work so much of the time, thanks to the actors.
    I remember Amanda talking about the elevator scene and the arm touching afterwards. As Kawalsky grabs Sam, Amanda flings her head back to make it look more realistic, but managed to hit her head on the wall and knocked herself out for a few moments. After being checked by a doctor, the first scene she did after her accident was the one in the briefing room. When Jack touches Sam on the arm, it's actually RDA checking that Amanda is okay.

Even although it is actually a reaction between the two actors, I think it fits in well as something that Jack would do to Sam.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Toomi View Post
      As for freezing when they go through the gate, didn't they try to explain that away in a later ep? Something to do with a DHD and as Earth doesn't have one there's some freezing involved, but they had to fine tune their computers and lo and behold the freezing dissapeared? Thinking on that line, when they come back from Chulak at the end of COTG they didn't seem too frozen. [/COLOR]
      I'm also sure it's mentioned in an episode. I think you're correct about the lack of a DHD, which made the gate shake at first. I think Sam added dampeners to stop this, which also stopped the freezing somehow.

In one of the behind-the-scenes things that are on the dvds, it's mentioned that they wanted to stop the freezing (which was a paraffin wax sprayed onto the actors) because it was too much bother to do for each episode, and probably cost too much to continually do.
      sigpic

Comment

[/COLOR]
        Spoilers for the CotG re-release:
        Spoiler:
        Yes, that's one of the parts that will be cut out of the remastered DVD they're going to release soon. In total, about 7 minutes will be cut- I think the remaining footage (do they call it that anymore?) will come from the scenes between the holding cell in Chulak and the stargate. There's a lot of extra running around that's unnecessary, IMHO. And there's actually supposed to be a new scene.

And of course, RDA will be doing the commentary!

Spoiler:
        i really, REALLY hope no sam-jack scenes are cut!!

especially the scene where sam mentions her internal organs and such. while it might be cringe worthy, it's still important for both sam's character (she had a wee bit chip on her shoulder at first, but from being treated like a dumb blond who had to *prove* herself to the men ), and that it was talked about in future eps and it wouldn't make sense anymore if it was no longer around.

so i'm a bit nervous.

and OF COURSE i'd love it the new scene was sam-jack. or sam/jack.

sally

sigpic

Comment

Yikes! No wonder that arm-touch looked so real! It was.
          Ouch.

And the paraffin- that sounds simply awful. No wonder they changed that. I had forgotten about the gate shaking- but now I remember where Sam said they put dampeners on the gate. Which is why it's significant when it starts to shake again in Solitudes.

Thanks for the behind-the-scenes info, Bev!

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
            I remember Amanda talking about the elevator scene and the arm touching afterwards. As Kawalsky grabs Sam, Amanda flings her head back to make it look more realistic, but managed to hit her head on the wall and knocked herself out for a few moments. After being checked by a doctor, the first scene she did after her accident was the one in the briefing room. When Jack touches Sam on the arm, it's actually RDA checking that Amanda is okay.

Even although it is actually a reaction between the two actors, I think it fits in well as something that Jack would do to Sam.
            she should have been taken to the hospital!!

but thank you for sharing that tidbit. it's now for sure that that scene was right after the knock out scene, and that rick was concerned about amanda.

(((amanda)))

(((and rick for caring)))
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Yikes! No wonder that arm-touch looked so real! It was.
              Ouch.

And the paraffin- that sounds simply awful. No wonder they changed that. I had forgotten about the gate shaking- but now I remember where Sam said they put dampeners on the gate. Which is why it's significant when it starts to shake again in Solitudes.

Thanks for the behind-the-scenes info, Bev!
              It is an honour to serve.

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              she should have been taken to the hospital!!

but thank you for sharing that tidbit. it's now for sure that that scene was right after the knock out scene, and that rick was concerned about amanda.

(((amanda)))

(((and rick for caring)))
              I think she was taken to hospital. Amanda talked about this at one of the Gabit conventions (AT1, 2 or 3 - I can't remember which one ) where she mentioned how much of a klutz she is. As the series went on, after an action scene there would be a call out to check on Amanda......just in case she'd hurt herself again. LOL
              sigpic

Comment

I think she was taken to hospital. Amanda talked about this at one of the Gabit conventions (AT1, 2 or 3 - I can't remember which one ) where she mentioned how much of a klutz she is. As the series went on, after an action scene there would be a call out to check on Amanda......just in case she'd hurt herself again. LOL
                She is! I noticed that. I always smile when I see that scene in the Broca Divide when the two airmen are fighting and fall through the glass window into the Gate Room when she and Daniel are adjusting the gate- watch how she runs to the phone after checking on those two soldiers. That's payback for having nice, long legs.

Comment

Jay Acovone talked about it at a Creation Con and still feels guilty and very bad about the whole incident. She wasn't a klutz, he hit her hard but he did it because she told him not to pull the hit, to make the scene look good.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by trupi View Post
                    Jay Acovone talked about it at a Creation Con and still feels guilty and very bad about the whole incident. She wasn't a klutz, he hit her hard but he did it because after she told him don't pull the hit, to make the scene look good.
                    Yes, he hit her hard, but Amanda also flung her head back to help make it look better.....except she went too far and hurt herself. She certainly doesn't blame Jay but, rather, her own exuberance.
                    sigpic

Comment

You can see Amanda talking about the scene in a con clip on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PbW9CMfuhU

She's so adorable. Throwing herself into the scene like that, sheesh! "I actually crumpled."
                      sigpic
                      "A Serpent guard, a Horus guard and a Setesh guard meet on a neutral planet..."

Comment

The Enemy Within

People say Jacob was sacrificed for the ship- but wasn’t Kawalsky sacrificed for the team? He’s not on SG-1 and the writers wanted to develop strong ties between the team members- to make them like a family- and it would be harder to do that if Jack’s really good friend is already a part of the SGC but on another team. Also, Jack gives the order that kills him. Is there a parallel between this and what he does to Sam in Entity? At the very least, it shows that Jack can set aside his personal feelings when he has to, which ought to be both an example and a warning to the other members of his team. The way he walks away from Kawalsky’s dead body on the ramp is almost chilling. He’s an expert at burying his feelings. Yet, the way he’s there for Charlie, and the way he stands by Teal’c is evidence that he cares. Quite a lot, actually. But boy, can he shut down when things get a little rocky.
                        I think you've hit the nail on the head with this - absolutely! They needed to make the Goa'uld threat seem really real - not just an abstract big bad that threatens the world as a whole, but also an individual threat that can take one person away. And sure they had taken Sha're and Skaara, but they were Abydonians, so it's still SG1 fighting on behalf of others for this. Taking Kawalsky in this way shows that the SG personnel are putting themselves in this danger too - it's a real warning of what our team are going to face (and of course preshadows Jolinar, so that when we see that situation we are remembering what happened to Kawalsky as well).

On the thing about Jack giving the order to kill Kawalsky and how that relatest to Entity, again yes, absolutely. And I think even more it shows quite how far Jack's feelings for Sam have grown by that point that he hesitates so seriously. Because really it's the exact same situation - someone he cares about has been taken over by a parasite and are threatening the base and the world, and he has the opportunity to kill them and end the threat. And he cares deeply about Kawalsky, as is clear, but he really loves Sam. Also here as you say - he walks away from Kawalsky's body pretty coldly, but he doesn't do that with Sam in Entity. OK so yes she is still technically alive, there's still hope in a way there wasn't with Kawalsky, but we see Jack's pain far more clearly with Sam than we do with Kawalsky in the same situation.

Aww thanks for sharing!
                        sigpic
                        Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                          I think you've hit the nail on the head with this - absolutely! They needed to make the Goa'uld threat seem really real - not just an abstract big bad that threatens the world as a whole, but also an individual threat that can take one person away. And sure they had taken Sha're and Skaara, but they were Abydonians, so it's still SG1 fighting on behalf of others for this. Taking Kawalsky in this way shows that the SG personnel are putting themselves in this danger too - it's a real warning of what our team are going to face (and of course preshadows Jolinar, so that when we see that situation we are remembering what happened to Kawalsky as well).

Oh, you expanded on my vague idea so nicely!
                          It specifically was a goa'uld who invaded the base and killed a close friend and colleague- as well as the poor, unsuspecting doctor- which definitely drives the point home that this is no abstract threat. It's one thing to have people disappear, or be brought back beat up like Ferretti, but to see it in front of your eyes is entirely different, I think. I'm sure it had an impact on Hammond and all the others that the threat was real and much closer than any of them ever imagined.

Comment

Oh, you expanded on my vague idea so nicely!
                            It specifically was a goa'uld who invaded the base and killed a close friend and colleague- as well as the poor, unsuspecting doctor- which definitely drives the point home that this is no abstract threat. It's one thing to have people disappear, or be brought back beat up like Ferretti, but to see it in front of your eyes is entirely different, I think. I'm sure it had an impact on Hammond and all the others that the threat was real and much closer than any of them ever imagined.
                            Only VSS would bring up the poor, unsuspecting doctor! I'll bet you were also sympathetic to the red shirts on Star Trek!
                            sigpic
                            Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                              Only VSS would bring up the poor, unsuspecting doctor! I'll bet you were also sympathetic to the red shirts on Star Trek!
                              Spoiler:
                              maybe

Comment

Greetings!
                                Been away in NOLA (amazing place, btw) and have missed much discussion. The GW forums seem slow as molasses tonight. Does anyone know if Brad Wright or Amanda Tapping made any mention at the CreationCon about our beloved ship?

Comment

Working...
                                X