• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    i've always said, i don't mind ship IN the show, just not AS the show

in MM for example
    Spoiler:
    why couldn't it have been the TEAM taking vala out to dinner to give her her patches? why this incessant obsession with daniel/vala?

what? vala's not capable of standing onher own two feet? she's only 'worthy' of being in an episode if she's paired iwth a guy?

Here's teh danger. Ok, one excuse of a lack of sam is that without jack they 'dont' know what to do with her' - writer weakness IMHO. so why is vala being treated the same way?

doesn't anyone realize if vala is an inseparable part of daniel, then when/if michael leaves the show - moot point i know - then vala will too be rendered useless?

screw pairing them up like noah's ark. let them stand on their own
    Oh I so agree with that.
    I was insulted on behalf of Amanda when they pulled the 'We don't know what to do with your character' - could they have been any more obvious? They all but painted it in 3 metre high letters 'We don't know what to do with your character now RDA has left so be a good girl and spout your technobabble and we'll quietly shunt you to one side for our new shiney characters'
    And they seem to want to do it again to Vala. WHY? And why has she gone from sex kitten/thief to cutsey pigtailed/eyelash fluttering girly?

Yet another good reason for them to leave the relationship stuff out, these writers have proved time and time again that they can't handle writing proper grown up relationships so I'd rather they didn't bother at all.

FF
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox
      And they seem to want to do it again to Vala. WHY? And why has she gone from sex kitten/thief to cutsey pigtailed/eyelash fluttering girly?
      Oo! I *hate* SkippingPigtailedVala. She is too OLD for that!

Adrianne
      If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
      It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP
        Oo! I *hate* SkippingPigtailedVala. She is too OLD for that!

Adrianne
        Yep, well Sam's too mature, too smart and has too much self respect to turn up at her boss' house in twin set and pearls dressed like a middle aged frump and gatecrash his BBQ with his girlfriend, (while she was engaged to someone else too) but that didn't stop them.

FF (who, you might gather, really loathes that scene in Threads)
        sigpic

Comment

Oo Oo! This is where I say, "<Fiancee> didn't make her happy, don't you want Sam to be happy?!" right?!?!?

:;Duck::

Adrianne
          If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Oh I so agree with that.
            I was insulted on behalf of Amanda when they pulled the 'We don't know what to do with your character' - could they have been any more obvious? They all but painted it in 3 metre high letters 'We don't know what to do with your character now RDA has left so be a good girl and spout your technobabble and we'll quietly shunt you to one side for our new shiney characters'

Yet another good reason for them to leave the relationship stuff out, these writers have proved time and time again that they can't handle writing proper grown up relationships so I'd rather they didn't bother at all.

FF
            Couldn't agree more. I thought that was terrible what they said to her. It might be just me, but it seems that they don't have a handle on writing female characters, at least not as good a handle as they did back in the early days.

As far as Vala goes, I've seen that quite a few people who adore Vala don't like Sam because they think she's too "boring."

Comment

Oo Oo! This is where I say, "<Fiancee> didn't make her happy, don't you want Sam to be happy?!" right?!?!?

Adrianne
              LOL, yep I think that's your line

I better throw this in too... "You want a reason why Vala and Daniel should be together? Well look, Sam has Jack, Teal'c has Ishta, Mini-Jack has Cassie, Felger has Chloe, Sha're is long gone and Sarah is gone too, so Daniel is all by his lonesome! Don't you want him to be happy???"

Comment

Adrianne
                He seemed to make her plenty happy in the scenes where he's romancing her and taking her out on dates and such like.
                If she wants to waste her time mooning over the boss, of course she won't be happy.
                The other problem with her having a relationship with her CO (apart from trivial stuff like it being illegal) is that it would totally stuff her promotion chances. Even if he was no longer in her chain of command, he was when she had at least two promotions and Cesar's wife must be beyond reproach - not only must her CO not have directly promoted her, there must be no trace of nepotism, no whisper at all of any illegal relationship between them.

FF
                sigpic

Comment

He seemed to make her plenty happy in the scenes where he's romancing her and taking her out on dates and such like.
                  If she wants to waste her time mooning over the boss, of course she won't be happy.
                  The other problem with her having a relationship with her CO (apart from trivial stuff like it being illegal) is that it would totally stuff her promotion chances. Even if he was no longer in her chain of command, he was when she had at least two promotions and Cesar's wife must be beyond reproach - not only must her CO not have directly promoted her, there must be no trace of nepotism, no whisper at all of any illegal relationship between them.

FF
                  I just absolutely HATE that she ONLY ever calls him "Sir" ... It drives me up a freakin' wall! THERE IS NO RELATIONSHIP, SEXUAL OR OTHER WISE, WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN SAY A PERSON'S NAME! And don't even try to sell me on "It's a respect thing." BS.

I respect my priest too but I still call him by his given name, to his face even, because I consider him a FRIEND! If Sam and Jack had any kind of RELATIONSHIP she wouldn't be calling him "Sir" all the time. Oo it drives me up a wall.

Didn't she do it in the 200th episode too?
                  Spoiler:
                  Jack walked into the room and Daniel went, "Jack!" and Sam went, "Sir!" and then Jack's like, "Not any more," and Sam had to practically spit out his name ...
                  I hate scenes like that.

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by JessM

I better throw this in too... "You want a reason why Vala and Daniel should be together? Well look, Sam has Jack, Teal'c has Ishta, Mini-Jack has Cassie, Felger has Chloe, Sha're is long gone and Sarah is gone too, so Daniel is all by his lonesome! Don't you want him to be happy???"
                    I kind of get that mentality when it comes from teenagers, and by that I mean, like, 14 year olds ... but when it's a grown adult trying to sell me that load I just go You'd think they'd know better.

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Yep, well Sam's too mature, too smart and has too much self respect to turn up at her boss' house in twin set and pearls dressed like a middle aged frump and gatecrash his BBQ with his girlfriend, (while she was engaged to someone else too) but that didn't stop them.

FF (who, you might gather, really loathes that scene in Threads)
                      That has to be one of the most (if not the most) cringeworthy scenes in stargate history

Also in Lost City when Sam goes to Jack's house, the whole scene is just so awkward, well until Daniel and Teal'c walk in and make themselves at homeAnd she has to ask him if he still sees his ex-wife!? But then thanks to the way they kept dragging up the ship most scenes between them became awkward.

That's why the early seasons where on the whole so much better, I never saw any thing shippy in S1-3, although you could probably see something there is you really wanted to, and maybe it's just me but the scenes between Jack and Sam were far more comfortable, hell Jack even called her "Sam" a few times back in S1/2!

Thanks to Kidwizz for sig

Comment

Originally posted by grasshopper64

That's why the early seasons where on the whole so much better, I never saw any thing shippy in S1-3, although you could probably see something there is you really wanted to, and maybe it's just me but the scenes between Jack and Sam were far more comfortable, hell Jack even called her "Sam" a few times back in S1/2!
                        Absolutely.
                        And I believe that the fans are best left to hints and their own imaginations, so that those who want to see the relationship can and those who don't, don't have to have it rubbed in their faces all the time.
                        I also firmly believe that the fanfic writers would do a far, far better job than the show writers.

I was most likely never going to be a fan of any 'ship in Stargate, it's just not what I watch a skiffy show for, any skiffy show. But they compounded my dislike with bad writing, an attempted massacre of Sam's wonderful character and some very strange acting choices from both AT, RDA and the directors which made them look very uncomfortable together most of the time they tried for any romantic chemistry.

I wish they'd just gone with the mentor/pupil interaction of the early seasons, and that lovely, selfless Sam who would allow a dying man to think she was the wife he loved (Solitudes), rather than someone desprate to cheat on her fiance with her boss (Threads).

FF
                        sigpic

Comment

Don't forget Siler has his wrench.
                          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I kind of get that mentality when it comes from teenagers, and by that I mean, like, 14 year olds ... but when it's a grown adult trying to sell me that load I just go You'd think they'd know better.

Adrianne
                            Oh, I know. Some people are just way too obsessive about these things and need to sit back and remember it's just a show. The thing I can't stand is when they actively try to convert me. I've had different shippers target me and tell me to "open my eyes" and see that the ship is right because the two people are just absolutely made for each other. What does that say about these people I wonder? I don't care what people do, if they ship or not. It's their right. But when they try to do things like that, I think they give their ship a bad name (not pointing fingers at anyone in particular - just saying in general).

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                              Don't forget Siler has his wrench.
                              LOL! That's right - how could I forget about the wrench?

And the bottle of Mop 'n Glo has that lonely mop that's standing up in the storage closet...

Comment

Oh, I know. Some people are just way too obsessive about these things and need to sit back and remember it's just a show. The thing I can't stand is when they actively try to convert me. I've had different shippers target me and tell me to "open my eyes" and see that the ship is right because the two people are just absolutely made for each other. What does that say about these people I wonder? I don't care what people do, if they ship or not. It's their right. But when they try to do things like that, I think they give their ship a bad name (not pointing fingers at anyone in particular - just saying in general).
                                Or viciously attack someone else's ship because even just the thought of your ship not being the only ship sets you into a fit of rage Can't really grasp that one either.

My favorite thought has to be the *really* weird pairings that would never happy ... I've asked why that pairing as there's absolutely no way and have gotten, "I know! But the sex would be great!" It's time for you to go outside now.

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Working...
                                X