Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep I like it. Nice to know they're not of the 'taking themselves overly serious' mould!

Sis

Comment

Originally posted by yabyumpan
      No, I thought it was self-indulgent boardering on self-abuse by the writers/directors. For the 100th episode they should have done something which celebrated all that's great about SG1 and not used it as an excuse for mutual back-slapping and puerile in-jokes. If it wasn't the 100th I probably wouldn't feel so strongly about it and just see it as another c*** episode.
      My feelings exactly. I detest this epsiode. Is there something stronger than detest? can I revile this episode? I think it should have stayed where it belonged, a cool idea for a cast party. It certainly didn't help that it revisited the character that I had disliked most up until season seven (Felger now has that dubious honour). Marty was a pointless little inadequate trying to make himself feel big by pretending he had an important role to play when clearly no one else ever bothered to listen to him at all. He was clearly a metaphor for some writer's idea of what people in fandom were like, which was insulting as well as being utterly inaccurate. (Yes, I have NO sense of humour about being portrayed as a sad Klingon dresser up with no life just because I go to conventions. Twenty plus years of mundanes and their oh so superior amusement at my expense has completely wiped any vestige of ability I once had to laugh at the majority of fandom portrayed in this way).

To tout this as a special 100th episode and then have the majority of the main cast hardly appear in it at all doesn't strike me as very 'special'. Yes, I 'got' all the in jokes. I know who each member of the cast/crew is and what they really do. I could see they were having fun; good for them - and I don't care. Watching them having fun is something I LOVE doing on behind the scenes documentaries. That is the proper place for it. NOT on a celebratory 100th episode which should have been about the characters we know and love and actually tune in to watch every week.

Comment

I know some people really hate this ep, but I love it, love it, love it! I can't pick an ultimate favorite, but this one is high up there. I really enjoyed Point of No Return, so the tie-in was a treat, and I liked how they managed to weave a NID story arc within the spoofs, in-jokes and while poking fun at the biz. I'm sure we'll never get all the jokes, either. The blooper reel must have been miles long!
        Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
        O'Neill: Who doesn't?
        - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
        - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
        once done, cannot be undone...
        brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

I like it.
          Oh honey. You say potato, I say vodka!

http://neuralgianostalgia.blogspot.com/

Comment

I loved Wormhole Xtreme especially the 'behind the scenes look'

Mira
            "Now we wait for the Giaaant Alieens." - Nick Ballard

Comment

Originally posted by MagnoliaAnaglypta
              He was clearly a metaphor for some writer's idea of what people in fandom were like, which was insulting as well as being utterly inaccurate.
              really do you think they did that? I disliked Marty and found him boring. I was disappointed as Point of No Return (was that the episode?) had an otherwise good underlying storyline.

Originally posted by MagnoliaAnaglypta
              (Yes, I have NO sense of humour about being portrayed as a sad Klingon dresser up with no life just because I go to conventions. Twenty plus years of mundanes and their oh so superior amusement at my expense has completely wiped any vestige of ability I once had to laugh at the majority of fandom portrayed in this way).
              Now there's a book somewhere - I've not read it but I have had bits quoted at me from people that have, and it is on my 'if only I can remember the title I'd read it' list. Now I'm going to sit back and wait for all the people to tell me I'm remembering it wrong!

It is set in a sci fi convention, and it spoofs fandom but not in a way you'd expect. There is a scene where a writer from a sci fi show that became cult is being questioned. People keep asking all these indepth questions, or coming up with these really incredibly insightful reasons for a lot of the stuff he's written. He keeps reply along the lines of 'for goodness sake it didn't mean anything, I just had to pump out five pages that day and that's what I came up with' until one member of the audience asked him if he'd rather people thought his writing was incredibly insightful, even if it wasn't, or would he rather people think his stories were poorly written, meaningless rubbish?
              sigpic

Comment

Yes, this episode was funny and I liked it. The ship at the end was AWESOME too.

Comment

Well I'll say this it's different!
                  But a good kind of different, one where the show can take a break from the serious issues addressed in the show and toy with the more humorous parts of it. I'm not sure about sliding it into what is it the 150th episode slot? I think they should have put a more serious action packed bonanza in to mark the big achievment. Well I'm glad to know one thing, at least they won't do this for the last episode, that has togo out with a bang

Comment

I liked Wormhole X-Treme

Fun episode!

Murray!
                    'Ask an impertinent question and you are on your way to a pertinent answer.'

Jacob Bronowski

Comment

I didn't really care for the episode when I first saw it in syndication, but it has grown on me since and is one of my favorite non-serious episodes (WoO#1) even if I don't get all the inside jokes. (I'm probably one of the few people left who doesn't own a DVD player so I haven't seen any of the extras that come with the DVDs.) It's an odd episode to mark their 100th show, but you tend to remember that little fact because of its quirkiness.
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

I like it, but out of all the humorous episodes the show has had over the years it is really not my favorite.

Favorite bits:

The Wormhole X-Treme colonels catchphrase: "As a matter of fact, it does say colonel on my uniform." (This because I'd noticed and remembered Jacks question in "The First Commandment".) Then, of course, comes the part where he realizes it doesn't say "colonel" on his uniform! I also liked when this whole joke got followed up on in Fragile Balance.

Then there's the dialogue which went something like, "Do aliens eat apples?" - "Why not, they speak English!".
                        Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

My feeling is that this show really rewarded long-time fans of the show specifically and sci-fi fans in general. I haven't seen all the episodes before this one, but I really liked it... that whole thing about the zat gun: once stuns, twice kills, three times does disintegration. And the last part where those two film guys are commenting on the camera panning and stuff as the camera actually does so... ha ha ha. The outtakes at the end dragged on a bit bit they were cute. Obviously the "Jack O'Neill" character in Wormhole X-Treme was meant to be a composite of the real guy and Captain Kirk
                          Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                          more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

i absolutely loved this episode!

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
                            Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
                            Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

No!!
                              sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

I thought it would be better since it 'was' the 100th episode.
                                Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Working...
                                X