This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DelTrax1
    I know nothing of Browder. I do know that it would be stupid for him to outrank Carter unless Carter dies.
    Ditto to that.
    TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by david2708
      I think they will need Browder's character to outrank Carter and lead the SG-1 team for season nine.
      Why? Well, people will hate me for saying this but Sam simply doesn't have the charisma to carry the show as leader.
      We know Jack has slowly turned into a complete imbecile, but RDA had the Charisma to carry the show as its leader.
      Carter is a good team player, but she's the better part of an esemble. As a character alone, she's just not that interesting.
      I'm now ducking.
      I couldn't disagree more. I think Sam Carter is a *fantastic* character, and that Amanda Tapping is the great actress that brought her to life. She officially became my fave character in the third ep of this series, so she's got to be doing something right. But I do know that charisma is subject to personal taste, so I can't begrudge you your feelings on this. But for me, Amanda and Sam are the tops!

Sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

I think they will need Browder's character to outrank Carter and lead the SG-1 team for season nine.
        Why? Well, people will hate me for saying this but Sam simply doesn't have the charisma to carry the show as leader.
        We know Jack has slowly turned into a complete imbecile, but RDA had the Charisma to carry the show as its leader.
        Carter is a good team player, but she's the better part of an esemble. As a character alone, she's just not that interesting.
        I'm now ducking.

Carter could have run the team great if she....

A. Was going to be there the whole season.

B. If the writers didn't dumb her down to their level.
        It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Originally posted by David85
          B. If the writers didn't dumb her down to their level.
          Ouch! Poor writers!

Later,
          Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by graculus
            Ouch! Poor writers!

Later,
            Graculus
            Don't worry about the writers... They won't understand....

*just kidding*

Comment

I propose a toast to Sam facing and conquering a few scientific challenges in the new year...

Later,
              Graculus

Comment

Didn't she say something like she had received basic training as a field medic? On other occasions she's blanched when asked to provide medical services: possibly because women are often expected to be nurses.

Later,
                Graculus

and other times, such as in nemesis when she offered to assist thor, in evol 1 (i believe) sam was the one treating the injured member of sg3. she renders aid to brenna in BTS and i think there are other times that escape me at the moment
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  i don't think they're setting BB up to run the show this season, but next season.

they've said that s9 will be a bit of a turning point. I think they're setting things up in case amanda chooses to leave and it can be the ms/cj/bb show

Well, if that happens, I'll be turning in my Stargate Pass card and calling it quits. But, I'm sure the ptb *know* they're going to lose some fans with RDA's absense and Amanda's reduced schedule (and missing from the first five eps), so they're trying to fill in the gaps left by them by bringing in a big scifi star they know ppl like. But if Amanda really doesn't come back, and it ends up the CJ/MS/BB show... buh bye.

I also agree with you, Denise, that I think they're setting up a spin-off (or morphing of Stargate) that will have BB the star. Okay, go for it, just wait until the Sg1 characters get a beautiful send off into... a nice life. The life they've put off because of their sense of duty to Earth.

Sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Seeing they've already failed to replace Janet, it would be insane to just filter out the last female character they have left. If TPTB were even thinking of AT moving on, then they should be laying the groundwork with new female characters in the SGC.

I can't imagine Stargate without Sam, though. I'm having a hard enough time dealing with the lack of Hammond and Janet, and potentially Jack. ::shiver::

Later,
                    Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                      Carter is a Lt. Colonel and BB's character will also be a Lt. Colonel, from the gateworld article. Carter cannot get demoted unless she does something that violates USAF rules, federal law, or her conduct is bad. There are two possibilities: BB gets promoted to full Colonel or they both remain equal rank with BB having a command position and Carter being a "back-up" of sorts. I see the second possibility of being more likely. If BB doesnt' do well, Carter resumes as leader of SG-1 with her current rank.
                      We've barely had the chance to see how Sam commands since she got her promotion, so I'd like to SEE how she is before letting a new-comer take her spot. Yes, she'll be missing from the first five eps (not sure I can make myself watch a Stargate ep without my Sam), but as soon as she returns (after her honeymoon with JACK! ), she should get her command back, no questions asked and no hassels. Sam's earned her place as commander of Sg1, so please don't disrespect her character by taking it away from her.

Sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

If Sam's wounded and recovering from extensive injuries, that takes care of the absence problem without threatening her command. And it would respect her character if the injuries represented some heroic action.

Later,
                        Graculus

Comment

If Sam's wounded and recovering from extensive injuries, that takes care of the absence problem without threatening her command. And it would respect her character if the injuries represented some heroic action.

Later,
                          Graculus
                          They could simply have the first five eps as CB/Daniel with Prometheus and Hammond plus BB character's flashbacks to how he's a known character with the SGC and then cut in a few AT shots in the eps when she returns. If BB's character didn't work with SG1 directly, they would merely be short appearances and not a major part of the flashback.

Comment

Carter is no Janeway!
                            I adored Janeway (was my fave character on Voyager), but she's also NO Sam Carter. Janeway never had an alien take over her body and have it die (and leave memories) inside her. Janeway never had her 'soul' transferred into a computer. Janeway never... Janeway's not Sam Carter.

I think Sam's been showing her worth for years, but I'd *really* like to see her in complete command mode, and the writers haven't given her that chance yet. If BB's character takes this away from Sam... then that'll be icky poopy.

Sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

I understand the argument about how people with a lower or equal rank can be assigned command based on the situation. The argument I don't understand is how equivalent rank of BB and Carter's characters results necessarily in BB taking charge. Several posts seem to assume that where rank is the same, BB is automatically in charge.

I think this would cause confusion in chain of command. I think Carter's greater experience will result in her maintaining the command role.

I don't understand where this idea is coming from. Why are we assuming that just because BB is "seasoned", he has been in the military longer? Wasn't Carter flying planes in Iraq? Until someone shows me evidence BB has been in the military longer than Carter, I'm assuming she has more experience.

But don't write off that she had a lot of experience before arriving at the SGC. She earned her right to be there. Some women would argue she probably had to earn it a lot more than the men around her.

I can see the writers going there. But I really hope they don't.

Another scenario, though, is BB takes command while Carter is recovering from a severe injury.

Later,
                              Graculus
                              The equal rank thing boils down to this:

1) you have two officers of the same rank, the "higher" officer is (a) the officer who held that rank the longest (e.g., who was promoted to Lt. Col. first), not who has been in the Air Force longest; or (b) the officer who is a "real" soldier with command experience, not a lawyer or a doctor or astrophysicist or geologist.

BB could have been in the AF 10 years longer than Carter, but if she was promoted to Lt. Col on August 3, 2004 and BB was promoted to Lt Col on September 3, 2004, she would technically outrank him due to seniority in rank, not service years.

It's confusing, but it's true.

Comment

Sam and Jack could be abducted by aliens.
                                :: hastily runs away::

Later,
                                Graculus
                                Actually, that sounds cool. But I'd like them to be mean aliens, like from the movie 'Fire in the Sky'. (those aliens scared the crap out of me!)

Sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X